• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Browny

Banned
The Beard That's Feared.

Professional performance by England (relatively disappointing 2nd innings aside), SA looked below par. But that pitch...

Amandeep

The women's final was thrilling to watch throughout, gutted India lost but well done to England. Well bowled. At least it wasnt as painful as watching the Indian men get destroyed by pakistan.

Browny

Banned
3rd test about to start, hopefully England can get some runs on the board this time. 2nd test was a joke.

Kinda worried about dropping Dawson on what could be a good wicket for spin later on - still need to take 20 wickets, and with 4 right-arm seamers and two right-arm off-spinners, I'm concerned about a lack of variety...

Also whenever I'm confident about England they collapse like a sack of spuds, so here's the anti-curse.

Double anti-anti-curse just in case.

Jezbollah

Excited for Tom Westley. Between him, Nick Browne and Dan Lawrence, Essex have really been churning out some top quality batting talent.

Browny

Banned
*insert cautiously optimistic yet down-to-earth supportive post about rebuilding, partnerships and patience here*

This is pre-new ball...

Browny

Banned
I am now available to jinx any international game - please send requests via PM.

Some great bowling by SA - just shows how out-of-sorts they were in the first test.

I am now available to jinx any international game - please send requests via PM.

Some great bowling by SA - just shows how out-of-sorts they were in the first test.

Can you jinx the pay negotiations in Australia? Say something like the ashes are off and they'll never come to an agreement.

Browny

Banned
Can you jinx the pay negotiations in Australia? Say something like the ashes are off and they'll never come to an agreement.

Well absolutely - more than happy to take a free retention of the Ashes, just because people can't agree on silly things like money and whatnot.

Good innings by Stokes, in the face of tight bowling by SA - hopefully the forecast stays overcast for the next few hours or so so we can make inroads.

Jezbollah

Toby Roland-Jones is running rampage over SA.

47-4, Rowland-Jones 4 for 20.

EDIT: 47-5. Anderson getting in on the party. SA just wasted their last referral too.

Browny

Banned
Great result for England - good bowling performances all round, especially for TRJ. Early days, but nice to see fast bowlers stepping up at a time where we need to be thinking 2 years ahead, when Anderson and Broad retire / slow down.

Still questions over the batting, but I see no need to change things in the 4th test.

Well absolutely - more than happy to take a free retention of the Ashes, just because people can't agree on silly things like money and whatnot.

Good innings by Stokes, in the face of tight bowling by SA - hopefully the forecast stays overcast for the next few hours or so so we can make inroads.

Your jinx powers took about 5 days to make it down under.

CA and ACA agree terms to finally end player pay dispute

Glad the bangers tour is back on, Australia have treated them with a serious amount of disrespect over the years.

Browny

Banned
Your jinx powers took about 5 days to make it down under.

CA and ACA agree terms to finally end player pay dispute

Glad the bangers tour is back on, Australia have treated them with a serious amount of disrespect over the years.

tumblr_inline_nfiiy1Fg1A1ryf58l.gif

'Tis good news.

Browny

Banned
Windies bowling looking good this morning - genuine pace bowlers normally do well at Headingly (I remember Ambrose and Walsh being particularly lethal during the 90s).

Big game for Malan now - low score and he's in grave danger of missing the plane to Australia.

Empty

good news: west indies have improved their bowling loads this time

bad news: their fielding has got much worse and simple catches are now a step too far

england on the other hand are a model of consistency: top-order collapse, which is then steadied by root who makes fifty then gets himself out to a nothing ball soon after, then #battingdeep pulls us to near 300.

Well, to coin an old cliche: An interesting day's cricket in Dhaka. Australia's decision to go in with 3 spinners is vindicated, but Warner's reputation as a flat-track bully gets reinforced once again.

Browny

Banned
Just as I was about to ask how the Aussie middle order was looking (in prep for this winter)...

As for England, disappointing so far. This second innings has to be almost perfect for us to stand a chance of winning. The Windies look much better, but still.

Mate, the selectors have only themselves to blame.
  • Bringing back Starc too early for a meaningless tournament in an Ashes year, no less;
  • First dropping Khawaja and then picking him with no cricket under his belt for 6 months,
  • Persisting with the Angry Ant like he's got tenure (fair enough he scored a 50 in his last dig, but he should have been flicked way before that.

I still like the Aussies for the Ashes, but the cricket is gonna be real ugly.

Browny

Banned
Bet the English are quaking in the boots right about now.
England have currently got three batting spots that contribute fuck all, and no-one of express pace that can play more than 2 matches without breaking down (Wood) - we're not exactly firing on Ashes-winning cylinders just yet...

Empty

don't think australia struggling on a minefield against a quite good bangladesh side says anything about the ashes. i'm sure players like warner who look profoundly confused by a turning ball in the sub-continent will go on to average 85 on australian pitches against a swing attack built for english conditions and moeen ali.

very much enjoying our second test. quite like malan despite being baffled by his inclusion prior and not seeing how he is an international test player, he has a good temperament and plays the match situation.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I respect Malan for digging in, but if you are getting bogged down by Bishoo and Rostan Chase - even on a pitch with decent spin - you probably aren't test calibre. I wouldn't drop him because there are already too many gaps in the lineup, but he is not good enough.

Umpire Ravi is terrible. He has had loads of decisions overturned and that no ball call for Bishoo was negligence. They've missed many of Gabriel's where he is going six inches over the line for fuck sake.

Moeen is playing incredibly here.

Empty

the bbc really need to re-do their 2002 "100 greatest britons" tv series to take into account the existence of moeen ali

west indies have been poor after putting themselves in a great position as late as an hour before tea. i know our batting lineup is deeper than the mariana trench but there's been so much village fielding and captaincy. roach and shannon really let the game get away from them with loose deliveries too.

Browny

Banned
Well we needed a professional performance, and pretty much got one. Stokes and Bairstow will be disappointed, but Moeen and Woakes have done a great job after the upper order had done some hard grafting.

Malan will be on the plane for the winter - if he applies himself that well in Australia then all well and good, although he did look a little tired at the end, and it's going to be a lot harder down under.

We may as well send in Anderson at three.

Bet the English are quaking in the boots right about now.

Nah, it'll be the usual case of the Aussie batsmen becoming unstoppable at home and everyone will forget how useless they were in Asia.

the bbc really need to re-do their 2002 "100 greatest britons" tv series to take into account the existence of moeen ali

Yes, get fucked Churchill, Moeen should be a shoo-in for the top spot. He constantly digs England out of trouble with style while being impossibly polite and self-effacing. And he's from Birmingham.

He is the best.

Good comeback from Australia after the early wickets, puts us in the game for tomorrow.

Nah, it'll be the usual case of the Aussie batsmen becoming unstoppable at home and everyone will forget how useless they were in Asia.

It'll be flat and fast as far as the eye can see with 3 of Starc, Pattinson, Cummins and Hazelwood bowling 150+, well 142+ for Josh.

CNQJVV7.gif

Moeen waiting for the opportunity to pounce

It'll be flat and fast as far as the eye can see with 3 of Starc, Pattinson, Cummins and Hazelwood bowling 150+, well 142+ for Josh.

Yep, it's going to be a brutal tour for the English bowlers.

Like any other Test nation?

Australia is more competitive away from home than any other Test country, but don't let that get in the way of your little rant.

India and South Africa have better away records than Australia over the last 5 years, but don't let the facts get in the way of your sensitive nature.

legend166

I'm all for laughing at our inability to play on the sub continent, but that first innings was literally our first of the tour after the warm up match was washed out. Was always too early to jump to conclusions.

Empty

we've bowled absolutely terribly today. not impressed. buzzing for the ashes where australia will make 756-6d on a road and then we'll still end up 34-3 again.

however as a tight conclusion to a five day test match it is extremely good. wouldn't be particularly unhappy if the windies won here after the ludicrous uk media over-reaction to the 1st test and how magnificently braithwaite and hope have batted.

Top Bottom