• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

kmag

Windies will surely take a crack at this. Get it down to 50 off the last ten overs. They may not get a better chance this series.

At their current scoring rate, they'll still only need 3.5 an over in the last ten. Although the light might be an issue and England's over rate is pretty scandalous.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
The pitch is just dead. We aren't booking with any great strategy and look a little tired. Most of all we miss that exotic legspin/fast bowler.

I don't have much faith in the Windies tail so if they lose a wicket or two going for the win I could see them collapsing in a heap.

At their current scoring rate, they'll still only need 3.5 an over in the last ten. Although the light might be an issue and England's over rate is pretty scandalous.

If they're close I think the umpires will let them bat on. As you said, it would be England's fault for being so slow.

2pkReeN.gif

Empty

alistair cook is staging a theatrical captaincy intervention here on young joe

j.+walter+weatherman.jpg

"AND THATS WHY YOU DON'T DECLARE EARLY!"

Fantastic, can't say enough about how well they've played. That's a win in Headingley to add to a recent win in the UAE, there is real potential for these players to build a decent team.

legend166

Is there anything better than the West Indies beating England in cricket? Just for the historical significance it's the best.

Also Australia in a good position to win against Bangladesh, although I wouldn't put it past us to have one of our patented collapses.

Matthew Wade is averaging less than Peter Nevill before he got dropped. So he's not getting picked on his batting ability and while he's keeping has improved, he's still average at best.

He must be the first cricketer in the history of the sport who is picked solely on his sledging ability.

Jezbollah

Is there anything better than the West Indies beating England in cricket? Just for the historical significance it's the best.

eh, back in the day of the 70s maybe. England only have one real rival in test cricket. Losing to anyone else really isnt a big deal these days.

Uzzy

Great result for the West Indies. Growing up getting to watch some of the fearsome Windies teams of the past, and hearing about the even more fearsome teams from the 70s and 80s, it's been quite sad to see their decline. I barely paid any attention to this test series, thinking it'd just be a blow out of little quality or enjoyment.

Hopefully this victory will turn into something they can build on and improve, rather than a one-off result.

Jezbollah

I sorta mean the whole former slave colony thing.

Oh yeah, no doubt. But I think the WIndies vs England thing hit its peak a long time ago in that regard with the series in 1984. They've been running a few documentaries of that over here recently. Stuff of goosebumps.

Matthew Wade is averaging less than Peter Nevill before he got dropped. So he's not getting picked on his batting ability and while he's keeping has improved, he's still average at best.

He must be the first cricketer in the history of the sport who is picked solely on his sledging ability.

No one is really standing up and demanding to replace him though. Nevill did play well in the shield after being dropped and Whiteman is the only one with any sort of batting record, the rest are too young, poor with the bat or not really test ready. It will make the first few shield games important.

There is the nuclear option of Handscomb at 7 and another batter.

No one is really standing up and demanding to replace him though. Nevill did play well in the shield after being dropped and Whiteman is the only one with any sort of batting record, the rest are too young, poor with the bat or not really test ready. It will make the first few shield games important.

There is the nuclear option of Handscomb at 7 and another batter.
The Roar thinks Wade is goneski
https://apple.news/AyU6FPE5iS-

Handscomb and Cartwright for Wade is multiplication by subtraction.

wachie

West Indies beating England, India whitewashing Lanka in Lanka, Australia getting beat by Bangla, looks like normalcy is returning to world cricket.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Bangladesh are improving massively. Plus it is vey tough to play in. Also, Australia are not that good. Don't forget that the first test they played vs Australia ever in Bangladesh was very, very close. This has been overshadowed by the Gillespie 200.

Uzzy

I've just seen this story about Carew Cricket Club, a small club playing in the Pembrokeshire League. Seems to have exploded around the world, with Indian and Australian papers talking about it too.

A disciplinary group has been set up to investigate a cricket match which decided a Pembrokeshire league title but sparked a row about fair play.
Officials have received complaints about Carew Cricket Club, who declared after only a few balls against Cresselly on 26 August.
In doing, they denied their opponents the chance to win Division One.
Pembroke County Cricket Club (PCCC), which runs the game locally, confirmed the investigation.
Former Glamorgan captains Mark Wallace and Steve James were among those who criticised Carew, while TV presenter and cricket fan Piers Morgan called it a "disgrace" and a "farce".
It follows the final game of the season, when Cresselly won their 'title-deciding' match against Carew, but it was the latter who ended up as champions.
Carew, who started the day 21 points clear and with 20 points for a win, declared on 18-1 to deny Cresselly the chance of any batting or bowling bonus points.

Entirely within the rules, and it guaranteed Carew the title, but seems a bit 'not cricket'

When he first got picked for Australia the sledge we used against him in the Sydney Grade cricket scene was "Das Wunderkind". When eventually he got dropped, we dialed it up and he would get hot. Got out a few times trying to hoik it out of the ground.

GOAT gonna GOAT!

For a guy that is largely anonymous in the annuls of Australian cricket he is going to finish his career as easily the 3rd highest wicket taker for Australia, maybe 2nd if he keeps improving.

Also what was the point of Agar?

Rezbit

Yeah weird selections in this series. Agar? O'Keefe on no match practice? Cartwright?

Don't tell me this is the Ashes talent pool lol.

Also always had a soft spot for Lyon, think he's been harshly done by selectors at times but history should look on him favourably.

Browny

Banned
Stokes' bowling today was brilliant - some simply ludicrous swing and movement going on.

Batting - same old same old. We won't be posting 300-400-plus anywhere in the world when you're carrying 3 batsmen. Time is running out, and it doesn't fill me with confidence with the Ashes fast approaching.

Stokes' bowling today was brilliant - some simply ludicrous swing and movement going on.

Batting - same old same old. We won't be posting 300-400-plus anywhere in the world when you're carrying 3 batsmen. Time is running out, and it doesn't fill me with confidence with the Ashes fast approaching.

I was at Lords yesterday, was a good day to watch. Lots of wickets and Stokes was excellent. I was really hoping Anderson would get his 500.

I was at Lords yesterday, was a good day to watch. Lots of wickets and Stokes was excellent. I was really hoping Anderson would get his 500.

I've got tickets for Sunday. I know it's a bit mean, but I'm not terribly displeased with today looking like it will be largely rained off. Those wickets (both sides) were just going down a little too fast for my liking.

Browny

Banned
I have the nasty suspicion that the sun may get his hat on tomorrow, and the Windies could rack up a very important 250-300 in what could well be a very low scoring test... Bit disappointed that we haven't been able to grind out a decent lead yet.

Top Bottom