• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

I have the nasty suspicion that the sun may get his hat on tomorrow, and the Windies could rack up a very important 250-300 in what could well be a very low scoring test... Bit disappointed that we haven't been able to grind out a decent lead yet.

Well that's it, 71 lead for England. 194 all out, not great but probably good enough imo. Very English performance.

Empty

good: delivery for jimmy's 500th wicket
great: delivery for jimmy's 501st wicket
greatest: jimmy's impeccable cover drive for 4 half an hour prior

Empty

feel like we haven't learned anything new* from our summer tests really though they've been a good time.

between stokes, roach and anderson there were so many aesethically beautiful wickets in the last test, though sadly it wasn't much of a competition.

*except perhaps that we should do more catching practice

Jezbollah

I think we've learned three things:

1) Numbers 2 and 3 are still very much a work in progress
2) Toby Rowland-Jones is yet another great find
3) Moeen Ali is worth his weight in gold.

Empty

imo for the ashes:

cook, hameed, stoneman, root, malan, stokes, bairstow, ali, woakes, broad, anderson

bayliss has said he's not going to blood new faces in the ashes, so it has to be from people who have played for the side already in the last couple of years. don't want to change up the side too much as we did win both series despite there being big question marks in our top order.

i feel stoneman hasn't made an authoritative innings yet but he looks smooth and comfortable at the crease. westley has been dreadful and would be a walking wicket it's a no from me. malan has shown he has the temperament to hold down an end which gets him in as he compliments the attacking style of our lower order. bringing in say a buttler or hales instead would feel like too much of a limited overs side on australian roads, feels like we could throw away wickets away fast like that.

bringing back hameed after his dismal first class form is a risk, i don't want to dent his confidence in what could be a heavy series defeat with media and fans on the hunt for scapegoats, but i ultimately think we need to bed players in for the long term. recalling say fucking ballance again would feel like a big step back.

Hope you had a good day Quiche. Good to see a result live.

Edit - oh, just re-read you have tickets for Sunday. Doh. Sorry.

;_; ;_; ;_;

I mean it's always good to see an England win but I'd rather not watch it in the pub. We came all the way to London! Now we've got nothing to do tomorrow :-(

Jezbollah

He's not one of the greats but to say he's mediocre is laughable.

I think he has to be considered one of the greats, given that he's now only the third fast bowler to have joined the 500 club. You only have to look at the greats who didn't even get to 400 to put that into perspective.

I think he has to be considered one of the greats, given that he's now only the third fast bowler to have joined the 500 club. You only have to look at the greats who didn't even get to 400 to put that into perspective.

He's in a weird spot for me. He's not as good as a lot of bowlers who took fewer wickets but he deserves a massive amount of credit for constantly improving his game and adding to his skillset. Being able to play for long and keep getting better is unbelievable.

The thing that stops him being regarded as a genuine great is his record away from home, he's got too many black marks on his record in that regard.

I really want him to get 564 and go past McGrath because the reactions from the Aussies will be hilarious but where does he rank when you look at the best fast bowlers of all time? There's probably a dozen quicks in my lifetime that I would place ahead of Anderson.

legend166

He's a very good bowler in England but I think mediocre is a good description of him outside of England where he averages 35 with the ball. If he overtakes McGrath it just goes to show how silly it would be to compare bowlers purely on wicket tallies.

I really want him to get 564 and go past McGrath because the reactions from the Aussies will be hilarious but where does he rank when you look at the best fast bowlers of all time? There's probably a dozen quicks in my lifetime that I would place ahead of Anderson.
Mate, nobody is going to confuse "Jimmy" as a better bowler than McGrath even if he gets 700 wickets. Because then we could say
Kapil Dev > Wasim Akram.
Herath > Marshall
Zaheer Khan > Holding
Chaminda Vass > Joel Garner.
etc, etc.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Jimmy is an England great, not an all time great. You'd struggle to find people who rate him over McGrath, Walsh, Holding, Ambrose, Garner, Waqar, Donald, etc. I've definitely missed a few out there too.

Jason Gillespie is statistically a superior bowler to "Jimmy" in every relevant category, Avg, SR, EconR. But you never hear Aussies jizzing themselves over him, except maybe his last innings as a batsman. Nor is he ever referred to as a "Great"

Empty

he's a great in english conditions only, his mastery of swing bowling at home is genuinely impressive and his last test was a real clinic of how to bowl under clouds. he's been average to mediocre on his travels except for in uae.

i realize he has so many wickets already because we play so much test cricket but i do also think there's value in his longevity as a fast bowler too. he has been a main-stay of our attack for almost fifteen years and has been over-bowled loads - it's a physically demanding job where it's very easy to pick up injuries and lose form. while it's true there are quite a few better fast bowlers in his era, many have ended up a way short of his tally too.

Jezbollah

Squeeky bum time for Essex fans. They've taken maximum bowling points vs Warwickshire, if they get maximum batting points they'll likely seal the County Championship. I'm nervous!

Jezbollah

Essex crowned County Championship champions. First time since 1992. I should be happy, but I do wonder what this says about the championship that a newly promoted team can dominate like this.

wachie

Australia getting mauled in India, why did they pick useless players like Cartwright who look like they have zero clue out there.

legend166

Stokes could have legitimately killed that guy. Punching someone in the head while they're standing on the road, all the victim had to do was fall the wrong way, hit the back of his head on the road and he'd be dead. That's what happened to David Hookes.

Sure, we don't know what started the fight, but clearly at the point where he knocks the dude out it's well and truly over and those two guys are backing away.

If he tours it's a joke and he should be in prison really.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I hope he’s banned for a year or significant period. Anderson, Stokes and others are legit thugs.

Come on man, how on earth is Anderson anything remotely clsoe to this. Anderson is a massive twat on the field, but he didn't assault anyone, not even close. He just is mouthy on a cricket field. That video of Stokes is disturbing.

kmag

I guess it is a good time to remember that Stokes is from New Zealand

What you're telling me a cricketer playing for England was born in one of the colonies! Surely that never happens. Next you'll be telling me the ECB will be padding their numbers with players from Rhodesia and the transvaal.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
What you're telling me a cricketer playing for England was born in one of the colonies! Surely that never happens. Next you'll be telling me the ECB will be padding their numbers with players from Rhodesia and the transvaal.

It was a joke. Like how Andy Murray is Scottish when he loses.

Browny

Banned
It was a joke. Like how Andy Murray is Scottish when he loses.

Absolutely. I'm sure most negative stories in the UK media will utilise a foreign place of birth in the first paragraph 99% of the time.

Stokes needs a damn (metaphorical) kick in the arse - and the remaining players need to remember their responsibilities. This harks back to Flintoff on a pedalow, and to a similar (lesser) extent, Root / Warner. But to say that Anderson "and others" are thugs is a joke.

Come on man, how on earth is Anderson anything remotely clsoe to this. Anderson is a massive twat on the field, but he didn't assault anyone, not even close. He just is mouthy on a cricket field. That video of Stokes is disturbing.

He tried to pick a fight with George Bailey, who is arguably the nicest guy in world cricket and good 1/2 a foot shorter.

He only STFU when Clarke threatened him a broken fucking arm via MJ.

Top Bottom