• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim Sweeney: Epic Games Store is making the industry better but “gamers don't see that”

Celcius

°Temp. member
Tim Sweeny:

888.jpg

Last edited:

Iorv3th

Letting creators keep more revenue is a good thing, no?

The problem with this argument is that most people see the creators as the developers. This only benefits publishers unless they are independent studios, of which I don't believe that there has been any 'exclusive' deals made.

Racer!

So you're argument is that since you can't play valve games on the EGS is what makes them dishonest and a monopoly? Why would Valve put games that they actually paid to develop on other platforms? For me that's the biggest problem with Sweeney trying to claim he's making the industry better is that he isn't putting all this money to develop new games or studios he is just snapping up games weeks or months before they are released. If they truly wanted to advance the industry he would be spending this money on actually developing games or building up studios instead of just writing a check and patting himself on the back.

Just saying it is somewhat of a double standard, although its common in the industry and kind of accepted. I have no horses in this race though, love Valve as a company. The few times I`ve used Steam I`ve been pretty happy, and they have a great return policy I hear. And I guess its a testament to how good Steam is, that so many root for them.

Last edited:
Just saying it is somewhat of a double standard, although its common in the industry and kind of accepted. I have no horses in this race though, love Valve as a company. The few times I`ve used Steam I`ve been pretty happy, and they have a great return policy I hear. And I guess its a testament to how good Steam is, that so many root for them.
How is comparing 1st party games to 3rd party games evidence of a double standard?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
The problem with this argument is that most people see the creators as the developers. This only benefits publishers unless they are independent studios, of which I don't believe that there has been any 'exclusive' deals made.

Wouldn't more money for publishers equal more revenue for more projects?

Woo-Fu

Banned
Tim Sweeney: I'm full of shit but "I don't see that". Did something special happen, why was this bumped? :p

Last edited:

sol_bad

Half that list are bad things that ruin the industry.

I’ve been on steam since 2005, who the hell fills out their profile or has ever looked that their profile? Lol

People don’t completely ignore all those useless features? Oh look another trading card thing because I started a game... cool what’s the point of these? To “sell” it for two cents?

I can keep going. The cloud? No one should use or trust any cloud. Your information needs to stay yours, stop giving it to companies.

Never heard of game sharing despite using steam daily since 2005.

User names? Who gives a shit.

Go try finding a working mod for a Total War game. The workshop is the most unorganized search database in the history of the internet. Zero hyperbole needed. Seriously it makes finding mods not worth doing. Why do they even show up when they are for old versions of the game??
The last 5 comments of every mod is “UPDATE PLEASE” why the fuck is this mod appearing on the front page????

Forum and community system? People use this shit? lol why?

Steam is hot garbage, trust me I know, I only game on steam and have like 200 non-indie games (real games). Origin in worse though but that’s besides the point.

I can’t wait to see what Epic turns out to be.

OK
So what would you say is good innovation? And what innovation has Epic brought to the table?

LMJ

Sweeny, Sweeny, Sweeny...:lollipop_worried:

In the words from "Tropic Thunder"

" You don't go full retard"

Rather than sit in blamed the gamers you ass, why not listen to them why not hear their claims and complaints and tried to reassure them of your plan.

If you want to become "the" store to buy games on... then you need those gamers that supposedly don't seem to understand you on your side and the fastest and easiest way to do that is rather than talking down to them just talk to them...

sol_bad

I have a couple of things that I need to mention.

1: People who are saying it's good that developers/publishers get to make more money through EGS. The truth of the matter is that they have been able to make more and more money per unit over the past 10 years.
1A: Companies are spending less money on physical goods compared to the 90's and early 2000's. Covers are made of cheaper, thinner plastic and barely any games come with manuals anymore. Right out of the gate they are saving money on printing services and plastic manufacturing costs.​
1B: Digital digital distribution has in creased in popularity. This is saving companies outright on physical goods. They don't even need to pay for the manufacturing of or royalties for CD/DVD/blu ray/SD card.​
1C: I don't know much about this but advanced software tools make it far easier, faster and cheaper to do things.​
1D: Games are generally available on far more platforms, hence a larger purchaser pool. If a game doesn't release on all platforms, it's not long before it hit's all platforms. In the 90's and the early 2000's this wasn't such a common thing.​
2: People say that EGS is better for indies. This may or may not be true. If Supergiant Games has to shut down or if they don't release any future games on PC we'll know for a fact that the EGS platform is not a good thing. If they continue to release games on EGS with 12 month exclusive deals than we know it succeeded.
The fact of the matter is that indies have been around forever, games on the Atari/NES/Master System/SNES/Mega Drive were basically made in basements, not all of them of course but quite a lot were. Those days were the medievil days of indie development and a big name publisher was essential. These days the market for indies is the best it has ever literally been. You can tell this with the sheer absurd amount of indie titles that release every month. You would never need to play a AAA game ever again with the amount of titles out.
You could say that EGS is bad because it is fracturing the user base, we know there are die hard Steam fans (myself included) that won't purchase a game on EGS. There could be potential hundreds and/or thousands of sales lost due to this. On the other hand if a game was released on Steam only, judging by how successful PC gaming has been, there would only be a small amount of people who won't buy a game on Steam. Generally from disgruntled old school PC gamers who hate Valve because they forced digital distribution on the world. If the game was released on both Steam and EGS at the same time it would get maximum exposure and both parties would happily pay for it.

That's my thoughts on the above two topics anyway.

*EDIT*
3: And yes, the good old topic of more revenue = more money spent on more games. As mentioned above, triple A companies have already been saving money in many various ways. Even with these savings their game releases have become more anorexic. Look at the game history of EA, Activision and Ubisoft, look at what they released in the 90's and early 200's compared to what they release now.
EA relies on Battlefield, The Sims, Madden and FIFA. Maybe Need For Speed if they can get that franchise back on track.
Activision relies on a single game, Call of Duty.
Ubisoft rely on Ghost Recon, Rainbow 6, Assassin's Creed and Far Cry.

The more money they make the less games they make.

Last edited:

Arkage

Banned
Competition is good. Signing up exclusives is also fine so long as you don't mess with preorders made on other storefronts, which is probably their biggest mistake. Steam isn't in a position where it needs to buy exclusives, but I don't doubt for a second that they would start doing so if their iron clad grip on the PC sales space started dramatically weakening.

Last edited:

down 2 orth

If only there was a free option to getting those exclusive games. Cuz if there was, people would listen to this guy's bullshit, laugh, and then flock in droves to get those free games.

If only....

Top Bottom