• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim Sweeney: Epic Games Store is making the industry better but “gamers don't see that”

ultrazilla

All Steam has to do is something like this: All devs/publishers: 1st 6 months of release we take NO CUT. After 6 months we take 10%.
I mean, Gaben just has to play around with the percentage Steam is taking(30% is fucking nuts). He has to change the cut here. I'd
go as far to say he matches what Epic is doing with percentage/take or go lower.

Whatever he does, he needs to do it fast. Oh and a little game called Half Life 3 would really benefit Steam. :messenger_open_mouth:

Kadayi

Banned
I'd go as far to say he matches what Epic is doing with percentage/take or go lower.

Epic is not only offering 12%, (or mere 5% for those titles using Unreal Engine) but they are money hatting developers for a 12-month exclusivity window and guaranteeing them a projected sales figure over that period regardless of actual sales because they are making a killing in Fortnite Money. Even if Valve matched them on the 12%, they're still not going to win out, because they can't match them on the moneyhatting.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
All Steam has to do is something like this: All devs/publishers: 1st 6 months of release we take NO CUT. After 6 months we take 10%.
I mean, Gaben just has to play around with the percentage Steam is taking(30% is fucking nuts). He has to change the cut here. I'd
go as far to say he matches what Epic is doing with percentage/take or go lower.

Whatever he does, he needs to do it fast. Oh and a little game called Half Life 3 would really benefit Steam. :messenger_open_mouth:
Valve could shut Epic down real fast but that's the thing with with Valve...they take forever to do anything.

Kadayi

Banned
Valve could shut Epic down real fast but that's the thing with Valve...they take forever to do anything.

Half-Life was a big game back in the day, but the idea that the franchise has Fortnite killing legs is wishful thinking at this juncture. The actual sales figures on it are pretty modest by today's standards and albeit it holds a place of affection in many peoples hearts (and frustration at Valve for leaving HL2: EP3 in Limbo these many years), gaming as a medium has largely moved on from that style of linear experience. Even at the time of HL2, some of Valves decisions regarding the Source Engine were looking decidedly antiquated versus other more robust ventures when it came to things like level sizes etc (..loading....). The fact of the matter is they're not the top tier development studio they once were, and in large part, I think that's a result of the studio not being hungry enough because of the cash surplus pouring in from Steam.

The smart move would have been to roll Steam off as it's own venture years ago with a team dedicated towards the management and maintenance of it as an ongoing concern, possibly even become a publisher in its own right, and letting Valve the Studio live or die based solely off of the success of its own output.

Last edited:

Virex

Abrasive, but well-meaning
Burning down my neighbours houses is making the world better but "my neighbours don't see that"

Come back to me Tim when i can import all the games i own on steam and gog to my epic account, then we can talk and screw epic if they causes valve to go bankrupt and close their service, because of this 'competition'

sertopico

Yes, gamers don't see that:

PxwcgCa.jpg

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Yes, gamers don't see that: * Snip for Brevity*

Are any Programmers able to verify this? I don't doubt it might well be the case, but it's not my wheelhouse, so some due diligence is in order.

I actually want to root for the Epic store, but I'd also like to (figuratively) punch Tim Sweeney in the face.

Given how much of a Creeper he looks like, I wouldn't be surprised if he paid you good money for that.

Last edited:

sertopico

Are any Programmers able to verify this? I don't doubt it might well be the case, but it's not my wheelhouse, so some due diligence is in order.

Given how much of a Creeper he looks like, I wouldn't be surprised if he paid you good money for that.
Here is the full story, you can get yourself an idea, personally I think it's reliable:

Sweeney basically admitted it was there like, "We got caught, we are going to get rid of it now!":

Tim Sweeney said:
You guys are right that we ought to only access the localconfig.vdf file after the user chooses to import Steam friends. The current implementation is a remnant left over from our rush to implement social features in the early days of Fortnite. It's actually my fault for pushing the launcher team to support it super quickly and then identifying that we had to change it. Since this issue came to the forefront we're going to fix it.
We don't use the Steam API because we work to minimize the number of third-party libraries we include in our products due to security and privacy concerns (not from Valve specifically, but see e.g. https://www.macrumors.com/2019/02/22/ios-apps-sending-private-data-to-facebook/ for the general concern of APIs collecting more data than expected)

Last edited:

scalman

I see it. I dont see any connection that pc game means steam game or gog game. They can release it where they want. Choose game for game for what game is not where its released.
If steam would stop existing i wouldnt even notice . same with fb or twitter or anything else that is waste of time.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Maybe offtopic, but since that rape day thing gets banned for being controversial, wouldnt any other shooter get banned for the same reasons?

brian0057

Maybe offtopic, but since that rape day thing gets banned for being controversial, wouldnt any other shooter get banned for the same reasons?

It's hypocrisy. Simple as that.

You can show a man getting torn to shreds in the most detailed and cinematic way possible (Dead Space), you can depict mass murder of unspeakable levels (Spec Ops: The Line), you can even choose to kill hundreds of people as the player (almost any game) but the moment something resembling anything that might be construed as sexual, be it consensual or not, is shown on screen, it's suddenly just under Joseph Mengele and above kicking a puppy on the scale of public derision.

But apparently boobs and rape are somehow worse than murder, torture, dismemberment, and setting people on fire.

Last edited:

overlordror

Neo Member
Pretty sure Epic using its Fortnite money to create a storefront is all about collecting data. Valve isn't going to do anything with all their data beyond trying to improve their storefront. But what guarantee is there that Tencent won't have access to the data gathered by the Epic storefront? I'm not trying to sound all tinfoil hat conspiracy theorist, but I am always highly skeptical of companies that are accepting of the involvement of Tencent.

CuNi

I'm glad we're having so many epic related threads lately. Gives me the chance to go into every last one of them and shit on epic. They went from a company that I very much respected for kinda open sourcing their engine etc. to a company that actively trys every possible way to please the industry at the expense of gamers while at the same time talking to news outlets how they are the victims of misunderstood gamers while they try to usher a new golden age for man upon us. I swear I wish we had the old days back where gaming journalism was more about the games so that they would shit all over epic and report objectively on current issues like data breaches etc instead of them downplaying them for relations with epic.

The day that they stop acquiring exclusives and allow all games to be on Steam as well will be the day I will consider giving their store a glance, but until then I will go out of my way to not touch that thing like it would be radioactive material directly from a reactor core of Tschernobyl.

Does anyone see Gaben just sitting at his big ass 4K monitor knives all around as he is laughing at this bull shit

All he has to do is send one email and Steam can change it’s whole model and undercut Epic.
Anime dramatization:
*Cloud of dust settles and Gaben emerges unharmed*
Gaben: Not bad, kid, you made me use like 10% of my power
Sweeney: ... nani?!
*Gaben teleports behind him*: nothing personnel, kid

Also... check this out.

If the developer has a publisher, the exclusivity payout and the increased revenue from Epic goes to the publisher not the developer. So in many, many, many recent cases, this is totally at the benefit of the Publishers.

Last edited:

Ballthyrm

It is quite simple.

Either he is right and the epic games store will win out long term
or he is wrong and the epic games store going to fail.

The devs make the games, players are secondary and the platform is last.
If devs survive better on Epic game store, then they will stay there.
Player won't have any choice but to move.
The whole equation with the platforms is how many devs can survive there.

The platform fight is stupid, i just want good games and i'll buy them where they are.

Google client are the advertisers.
Epic game store clients are the devs.

Gamers just don't want to accept that they are not the center of the world.
giphy.gif

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
The contrary of some guessed sales are pretty good on Epic store.
If that continue then I believe most developers will migrate to there because there is no incentive to use Steam over Epic Store to developers.

Morinaga

Isnt Metro Exodus 1 of 2 games that actually support Nvidia's RTX? Id say this is the reason its so popular, not because of the Epic store.

A lot of people bought those RTX cards, and if its one of the only games that can justify the crazy prices on those things, people gonna buy it.

Isnt Metro Exodus 1 of 2 games that actually support Nvidia's RTX? Id say this is the reason its so popular, not because of the Epic store.

A lot of people bought those RTX cards, and if its one of the only games that can justify the crazy prices on those things, people gonna buy it.

Yeah and Metros RTX is not even that good it reflects environments and that's it not that impressive.

Battlefield 5 is the only game truly has implemented it but I know hardly anyone who plays it online with RTX on because even with a 2080 rtx is a massive hit on frames.

Redstarwater

Neophyte
He’s right. Gamers are pushovers, you can makes these idiots prepurchase anything, especially bad games (which most games are)

I hope Epic keeps disrupting this embarrassing industry. Fuck steam for zero innovation for the last decade except a “new” friends list interface. Coooooool!

He’s right. Gamers are pushovers, you can makes these idiots prepurchase anything, especially bad games (which most games are)

I hope Epic keeps disrupting this embarrassing industry. Fuck steam for zero innovation for the last decade except a “new” friends list interface. Coooooool!
What more do they need to innovate? They've been ahead of everyone at every step.

Did they not innovate cloud saving? Did they not innovate the ideal model for account security? Did they not innovate game sharing? Did they not innovate the most ideal model for user names? Did they not innovate the best market and trading platform? Did they not innovate the most comprehensive forum and community system? Did they not innovate the most stylized and unique profile system? Did they not innovate the best mod sharing and workshop? Did they not innovate the best refund and return policy? Did they not innovate ways for developers and publishers to self-publish and get their games out to the market?

I'm sorry but you don't have a clue what in the hell you're talking about.

Redstarwater

Neophyte
What more do they need to innovate? They've been ahead of everyone at every step.

Did they not innovate cloud saving? Did they not innovate the ideal model for account security? Did they not innovate game sharing? Did they not innovate the most ideal model for user names? Did they not innovate the best market and trading platform? Did they not innovate the most comprehensive forum and community system? Did they not innovate the most stylized and unique profile system? Did they not innovate the best mod sharing and workshop? Did they not innovate the best refund and return policy? Did they not innovate ways for developers and publishers to self-publish and get their games out to the market?

I'm sorry but you don't have a clue what in the hell you're talking about.

Half that list are bad things that ruin the industry.

I’ve been on steam since 2005, who the hell fills out their profile or has ever looked that their profile? Lol

People don’t completely ignore all those useless features? Oh look another trading card thing because I started a game... cool what’s the point of these? To “sell” it for two cents?

I can keep going. The cloud? No one should use or trust any cloud. Your information needs to stay yours, stop giving it to companies.

Never heard of game sharing despite using steam daily since 2005.

User names? Who gives a shit.

Go try finding a working mod for a Total War game. The workshop is the most unorganized search database in the history of the internet. Zero hyperbole needed. Seriously it makes finding mods not worth doing. Why do they even show up when they are for old versions of the game??
The last 5 comments of every mod is “UPDATE PLEASE” why the fuck is this mod appearing on the front page????

Forum and community system? People use this shit? lol why?

Steam is hot garbage, trust me I know, I only game on steam and have like 200 non-indie games (real games). Origin in worse though but that’s besides the point.

I can’t wait to see what Epic turns out to be.

Last edited:

BunzLee

I'm so done with Epic ever since they've decided to fuck me over with Fortnite, way before they've decided to go Battle Royale. The switch to BR was a huge FUCK YOU to everyone that has dropped cash on the OG Fortnite, and I was dumb enough to get one of the more expensive editions to play with my friends. Fuck them, fuck their Launcher and fuck Fortnite.

danielberg

Neophyte
Maybe in the short term... at best... to capture enough people and compete and fuck steam.. but i doubt throwing money into the mouth of tencent will have the long term effect i want for gaming lol

Handy Fake

Misread the title as "The Sweeney" and am bitterly disappointed we're not getting a game version of the 1970s UK police show with John Thaw.

dorkimoe

My only issue is exclusives. If your service is the so good and "the best" then gamers will realize it and switch, but dont force people to have your client

Half that list are bad things that ruin the industry.

I’ve been on steam since 2005, who the hell fills out their profile or has ever looked that their profile? Lol

People don’t completely ignore all those useless features? Oh look another trading card thing because I started a game... cool what’s the point of these? To “sell” it for two cents?

I can keep going. The cloud? No one should use or trust any cloud. Your information needs to stay yours, stop giving it to companies.

Never heard of game sharing despite using steam daily since 2005.

User names? Who gives a shit.

Go try finding a working mod for a Total War game. The workshop is the most unorganized search database in the history of the internet. Zero hyperbole needed. Seriously it makes finding mods not worth doing. Why do they even show up when they are for old versions of the game??
The last 5 comments of every mod is “UPDATE PLEASE” why the fuck is this mod appearing on the front page????

Forum and community system? People use this shit? lol why?

Steam is hot garbage, trust me I know, I only game on steam and have like 200 non-indie games (real games). Origin in worse though but that’s besides the point.

I can’t wait to see what Epic turns out to be.
*I'm going to purposely devalue a bunch of things people find valuable because you raised a better point than me*

That's what's happening here folks.

Top Bottom