• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC Fight Night 147: Till vs. Masvidal

Winner of main event?

• Till

• Masvidal

Results are only viewable after voting.

mekes

Yeah, Till caught that Uriah Hall spinning heel kick look. He was down for a few minutes. Masvidal must have rocks for hands.

So apparently Masvidal and Leon Edwards got into a scuffle backstage?

Anyone have a link to the footage?

Edit

Was posted right above me while I was typing this.

Masvidal is an OG. He came up from the Kimbo Slice street fight circuit. You can look up his old bare knuckle vids. He doesn’t play

Edit 2

Wow. Jorge hit him with a crisp 1-2 punch and a slap. Edwards bleeding.

So they gotta fight next, right? This is UFC marketing gold?

Last edited:
Do we know what Leon had said to provoke such a reaction?

I’m trying to find that out. Laura said Leon dropped something about “July, international fight week” as he first walked by Jorge, what was said after that remains unknown. Whatever it was, you see Jorge go from “hands behind my back” to “ok I’m ready to throw” pretty quickly.

I’m a wuss in real life. I hate violence (outside of sanctioned athletics). I’m not condoning Jorge’s actions and he’s lucky this wasn’t in Nevada. That being said, again, ya gotta understand who you’re dealing with. This guy literally came up street brawling for hundred dollar paydays in the Kimbo Slice crew. It’s still on YouTube. This isn’t an athlete who learned how to fight, this is a fighter who learned how to be an athlete.

Just like Conor found out what happens when he finally meets people who “will fookin do something.” Some people aren’t to be trifled with.

mekes

JareBear: Remastered JareBear: Remastered Yeah for sure. I know Leon has a bit of a history with calling people out and saying he will knock them out. I’m wondering, or possibly more assuming he tried that route with Jorge and it didn’t go down well. But seeing how quickly that all unfolded, the biggest question is how this situation never happened with Michael Bisping! They shared many a corridor together over the past few years and loads was said.

Pretty crazy it stemmed straight from a live interview tho, I wasn’t expecting that.

highrider

Banned
I felt a little bad for Till, getting knocked out like that you’re never the same. Great overhand left. The scuffle after, Masvidal just strikes me as one of those dudes that’s a nice guy but takes zero shit from people and let’s his hands do the talking lol.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Edwards hand was up first, Masvidal threw the first punch
Edwards was defending himself. Masvidel painted a picture that he was innocent and kept his hands behind his back when that’s not true. As he gets closer to Edwards, his every intent was to smack him.
Xj16QA3.jpg

Last edited:
It’s not a sucker punch when you talk shit and a guy walks over to you face to face and punches you. That’s pretty much the opposite of a sucker punch.

I agree.

I’m Team Masvidal on this.

Also Jorge was by himself and Leon had his whole team. Jorge gives Zero Fucks.

Conor found out the hard way against KHABIB. There are people in life who aren’t afraid to “fookin do something.” Leon just found that out too.

Not sure why anyone is debating who had a hand up or who threw first. It’s clear as day what happened. Leon talked shit. Jorge appraoched him. Leon continued talking shit while walking toward Jorge and got on his bubble, Jorge threw an extra crispy 3 strike combo in .5 seconds flat. Leon threw nothing. Bam. That’s a wrap, son.

If you are talking shit to someone, especially a professional fighter, while walking directly into their bubble, that’s like sitting down directly in front of a rattlesnake. You will probably get bit.

Words of the immortal Steve Smith:
Ice Up, Leon.

giphy.gif

NOTE:

I’m fanboying here, relax. For real: he will be punished. I’m not sure if decisions made by the commissions in the UK carry over to the states or not. Will be interesting to see.

Edit

Like I said before, and getting more serious here:

Jorge is lucky this wasn’t in New York or Nevada. Commission would suspend him a year probably. I’m sure there is still going to be a punishment or some sort, I’m curious to find out what happens

Last edited:
I agree.

I’m Team Masvidal on this.

Also Jorge was by himself and Leon had his whole team. Jorge gives Zero Fucks.

Conor found out the hard way against KHABIB. There are people in life who aren’t afraid to “fookin do something.” Leon just found that out too.

Not sure why anyone is debating who had a hand up or who threw first. It’s clear as day what happened. Leon talked shit. Jorge appraoched him. Leon continued talking shit while walking toward Jorge and got on his bubble, Jorge threw an extra crispy 3 strike combo in .5 seconds flat. Leon threw nothing. Bam. That’s a wrap, son.

If you are talking shit to someone, especially a professional fighter, while walking directly into their bubble, that’s like sitting down directly in front of a rattlesnake. You will probably get bit.

Words of the immortal Steve Smith:
Ice Up, Leon.

giphy.gif

NOTE:

I’m fanboying here, relax. For real: he will be punished. I’m not sure if decisions made by the commissions in the UK carry over to the states or not. Will be interesting to see.

Edit

Like I said before, and getting more serious here:

Jorge is lucky this wasn’t in New York or Nevada. Commission would suspend him a year probably. I’m sure there is still going to be a punishment or some sort, I’m curious to find out what happens

Leon's team being there didn't add any extra justification for the action IMO , they're not pressing charges either. Any brawl had security on top of it, and they did an OK job, so the 1 v 3 would've never materialised. Smack talk should be met with smack talk or ignore it, either action would've been more professional.

Back on topic, great win & Leon might get a fight out of this drama meaning he can potentially jump to #3 rank if he beats Masvidal. So maybe not all bad.

KOMANI

KOMANI
fighters talk shit. It’s part of the game. You don’t leave your interview to start a fight cause innocent people might get hurt. This is why you handle it in the cage. Look, I enjoy the Diaz brothers as much as anyone, so I’m guilty of seeing drama like this, but what conor, khabib, masvidal have done is not justifiable when you’re in a crowd of non-fighters.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
I didn't watch the fight but it looks like masvidal barely grazed till on the chin.. Quite unfortunate to see him suffer same fate as Cody garbrand, who imo is a better fighter than his counterpart

Also aren't masvidal and Edward's just setting up a fight? Why are ppl getting all worked up over this carnie shit. You think they give a fuck about each other lmao

Its like when everyone thought the Conor bus thing wasn't a complete publicity stunt. People want to believe so badly :(

Last edited:
I didn't watch the fight but it looks like masvidal barely grazed till on the chin.. Quite unfortunate to see him suffer same fate as Cody garbrand, who imo is a better fighter than his counterpart

Also aren't masvidal and Edward's just setting up a fight? Why are ppl getting all worked up over this carnie shit. You think they give a fuck about each other lmao

Its like when everyone thought the Conor bus thing wasn't a complete publicity stunt. People want to believe so badly :(

Edwards was bleeding, my dude. Had a knot on his cheek.

That was as real as it gets.

The KO blow was something that began culminating earlier in the fight. Till got hit with a right early in the second that stunned him, but he was playing it off like he was fine. His chin was compromised at that point.

mekes

Yeah because Leon Edwards wanted his cheek put out like that and everybody to be laughing at him. That's it you're right :messenger_tears_of_joy:

If Leon Edwards was “in on” a plan to have his face busted up by a vicious professional striker then I’m his new number one fan. That’s dedication.

KOMANI

KOMANI
It wasn’t staged. Masvidel tried the same shit with Bisping. He’s like Roberto Duran, letting his machismo do all his thinking.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Yeah because Leon Edwards wanted his cheek put out like that and everybody to be laughing at him. That's it you're right :messenger_tears_of_joy:

except nobody is laughing at him.. and everyone will be tuning in to see their fight ?

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
except nobody is laughing at him.. and everyone will be tuning in to see their fight ?

He’s pretty much getting clowned by all of his fellow fighters on social media, I’m not laughing at him but it definitely made him look pretty stupid and unprepared for the consequences of running your mouth to the wrong person. People will be tuning in to see Masvidal fight, don’t think Leon upped his stock by taking a beating.

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
Maybe it’s just me, but my understanding of a sucker punch is hitting someone completely unprepared out of the blue. If I talk shit to a guy and he walks over to me, facing me and punches me, where I’m from that’s just getting your ass beat. If you aren’t prepared when you enter someone’s space and talk shit and you see them walking right up to you, that’s on you. It’s also not as if Masvidal isn’t kind of known to not play the shit talk game. Connor learned the same lesson with Khabib, you just don’t play with certain people.

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
I think fighters wanna get their names out there and do the trash talking thing, but you gotta know that some people aren’t gonna play around

I had forgotten that Bisping and Masvidal had a little beef in the past.

Now THAT is a street scrap I would have been interested to see go down, as far as who got the better of who.

Video starts at 5:05 with the Masvidal stuff. Most fighters I see support him. Josh Thomson's take on it echos my own.

Last edited:
Jorge Masvidal on Ariel’s show, regarding the free Three Piece Combo Meal for Leon

“I wish I could control myself but this guys been talking shit to me on social media, I can’t let him disrespect me to my face.”

Again:

Next time you guys see a rattlesnake, go stomp up to it and sit down right in front of it. See what happens.

New 170 champ Kamaru Usman did an MMA show on Rogan today

Couple clips

Talking Masvidal/Edwards and Usman’s run-in with Askren and Covington

Reviewing the Lawler/Askren stoppage frame by frame

Also, Dana said that Conor’s next fight will be decided by Poirier/Holloway. Does that mean Conor fights winner or Conor will fight one guy if one wins or another guy if one loses?

Last edited:
i watched a bit of kamaru on rogan and he honestly seems like a cool guy. id rather him be normal during the promotional shit because hes really not that good at hyping shit or the "tough guy" angle. it doesnt suit him well

also i feel really bad for tony ferguson. i hope he gets the help he needs

Last edited:

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
I’ll watch it then if he is acting normally. He was so annoying in the build up to the fight

Apparently the law didn't press the issue. According to Usman (from the clips I posted), Masvidal is already back in the states. I guess it was a slap on the wrist?
Edwards didn't press charges so it was dropped. If he had, it would be a different story. But he's a pro fighter and he has his pride, so he let it go. Colby Covington, on the other hand....

Don't throw a toy boomerang at that badass or he'll see you in court.

Last edited:

manfestival

Apparently the law didn't press the issue. According to Usman (from the clips I posted), Masvidal is already back in the states. I guess it was a slap on the wrist?
Leon didn't press charges. The whole thing is a non-issue now. So much for him crying "That's ASSAULT!"

Edwards didn't press charges so it was dropped. If he had, it would be a different story. But he's a pro fighter and he has his pride, so he let it go. Colby Covington, on the other hand....

Don't throw a toy boomerang at that badass or he'll see you in court.

Yeah that was a weak move on Colby's part. No question.

Top Bottom