UK Sales DS & GBA this week

Xrenity

Member
Wow, that's a lot!

Wonder what PSP did. And what sold the DS this week? In preparation for Mario or something?
 

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Xrenity said:
Wow, that's a lot!

Wonder what PSP did. And what sold the DS this week? In preparation for Mario or something?
either in preparation for MK or just the dogs still. DS might end up being first or second biggest selling game system this holiday (depending on how limited X360 ends up being).
 

Taker666

Member
I'm still amazed DS sells this well with the lack of retail space given to it (or maybe that's just in Cornwall).
 

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
There was a lot of talk in the UK regarding Nintendo free hotspots. Plus Christmas sells have already started.
 

Asylum

Member
Crazy, thats higher than the average US weekly sales for the past couple of months (for DS). Go UK :D

Sonic Rush, Yu.Gi.Oh and Tony Hawk are out this week too, wonder what kind of impact they'll have, not sure how popular Yu.Gi is these days but TH and Sonic are still very popular over here.
 

Zeo

Banned
You'll have all the systems/charts tomorrow, is that what you're saying?

I definitely want to see more charts that aren't US and Japan.
 
Gaybrush Threepio said:
40,000 DS
31,000 GBA SP & Micro

Oh shit, these are definitely AWESOME sales! DS sales seem to get better and better every week (due to word of mouth?). And Mario Kart DS (+Bundle) is just two weeks away ^^ GBA/Micro sales are also REALLY good, will be interesting to see what happened to the PSP hw numbers (up, down, about on par with the last week).

Thx for teh numbers Gaybrush :)

Btw. how long will you be able (allowed?) to post these numbers?
 

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
CVXFREAK said:
Man, bring on the French, German and Spanish numbers too... :O


UK probably sells as much as the rest of Europe combined, so it's not impossible that DS sold something to the tune of 80k in Europe last week.
 
Taker666 said:
I'm still amazed DS sells this well with the lack of retail space given to it (or maybe that's just in Cornwall).


Its the same everywhere. DS software and hardware usually shares the same bay as GBA, while PSP has atleast 2 full bays.

Word of mouth is selling DS, not shelf space. Retailers will soon pick up on this, thats if there is any shelf space left that Sony and MS have not bought.
 

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
capslock said:
UK probably sells as much as the rest of Europe combined, so it's not impossible that DS sold something to the tune of 80k in Europe last week.
UK people are heavy game buyers, but I think your perspective of the european market is a bit skewed non the less.
 

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
needlejuice said:
Word of mouth is selling DS, not shelf space. Retailers will soon pick up on this, thats if there is any shelf space left that Sony and MS have not bought.

Unless Sony and MS are paying quite heavily, I can't imagine retailers understocking the DS and DS software if it continues to sell at this rate.
 

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
elostyle said:
UK people are heavy game buyers, but I think your perspective of the european market is a bit skewed non the less.

I stand corrected then, how much do you think it sold? (NOT being sarcastic)
 

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
needlejuice said:
Its the same everywhere. DS software and hardware usually shares the same bay as GBA, while PSP has atleast 2 full bays.
it is identical in the US also.. Gamestop, Best Buy, Toys R Us, Target, etc. Actually I can't think of a store really that gives any decent space to a DS. Though to be fair PSP racks would probably be smaller if not for movies. IMHO that was actually brilliant on Sony's parts. By releasing a proprietary movie format there really isn't anywhere else to stick them but by the games. This instantly gives the PSP more shelf space than its competitors even though the number of game releases stay around the same.
 

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
From what I read in french forums, DS is selling like crazy in France too. DS is enjoying great momentum, with its recent releases and the upcoming Mario Kart. Even the vertical press that used to be caustic about it is now praising the DS highly. And let's just say it: as in Japan Nintendogs had been the main catalyser of this sudden frenziness.
 

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Nintendogs = Pokemon

I fully expect Nintendogs to be close to 4M worldwide by the end of the year. By the end of its reasonable lifetime it will probably be betwen 2-3M in each territory.
 
capslock said:
UK probably sells as much as the rest of Europe combined, so it's not impossible that DS sold something to the tune of 80k in Europe last week.

A few months back Sonycowboy posted sold through numbers from the major european countries (UK, France, Spain, Germany, Italy, Scandinavia...) and afaik UK had a marketshare of less than 30%.
With numbers like these we are imo looking at atleast 100k sold DS' in one week.

Edit: In October the DS definitely sold the worst in the USA and probably sold about the same amount in Europe than in the USA and Japan combined.
 

jarrod

Banned
capslock said:
I stand corrected then, how much do you think it sold? (NOT being sarcastic)
Well, it's actually Nintendo's weakest market in Europe (proportionately). Though I'd probably guess the DS is selling disportionately welll in the region, it's likely doing 35-40% of overall DS sales. 100k for all of Europe this week would be a nice safe guess assuming it's performing well everywhere... I wonder of American sales will see a similar upswing? Imagine if the next NPD showed 600k+ in DS sales.
 

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
jarrod said:
Imagine if the next NPD showed 600k+ in DS sales.
that might be a bit high, but the point is valid. considering the "next npd" includes black friday, I fully expect DS to do 400K at least from black friday to the end of november. so the question is if it can do 200K in the three weeks before...
 
So, in the past 4 weeks...

DS:
24,492
23,035
35,000
40,000

GBA
8,799
10,034
25,000,
31,000

PSP:
18,723
8,000
16,000
???

For Sony hungry UK, this is hugely impressive for Nintendo. I don't know how PSP stock is, but whatever the case, these are some huge sales for 1 week in a country with 1/5 the population of US.
 

Zeo

Banned
borghe said:
it is identical in the US also.. Gamestop, Best Buy, Toys R Us, Target, etc. Actually I can't think of a store really that gives any decent space to a DS. Though to be fair PSP racks would probably be smaller if not for movies. IMHO that was actually brilliant on Sony's parts. By releasing a proprietary movie format there really isn't anywhere else to stick them but by the games. This instantly gives the PSP more shelf space than its competitors even though the number of game releases stay around the same.

Same here. The DS section at my local EB is horribly small. But take away the PSP movies, and it's almost the same size. However, my local GameStop just reorganized and gave the DS a nice display in the middle, moved the Xbox and PC games all the way to the back, moved GameCube up a bit, and put 360 where Xbox used to be. PSP is in the front right and PS2 in the middle right (which is the biggest section).

I think the main problem is that these mall stores are small. They're running out of room in a lot of them. I mean they won't be getting rid of Xbox and GameCube's section until at least next fall, because used games are a huge seller. PSP + DS will keep getting bigger, especially PSP because of the UMD Videos. 360 is getting put into stores. PS2 is still huge. Revolution and PS3 will be out within the next 13 months. And they still sell old N64/PS1/Dreamcast games in a lot of them.
 

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
capslock said:
I stand corrected then, how much do you think it sold? (NOT being sarcastic)
I think the UK accounts for up to 30% of total europe sales in it's peak. But I'm just guessing here as well :)
 

Leonsito

Member
In Spain the situation of the shelves is more or less like this:

40% PS2 (In some cases much more bigger)
10% PC
10% GC (In some stores doesn't exist a GC space)
10% Xbox (Same as GC, maybe a little more space)
10% NDS (It had more space, but when the PSP was out the stores cut out the space to the half or less)
20% ( The biggest space after the PS2, 50% of it for UMD Videos, the stores really pushed big for the PSP in Spain)

PD: Apologies for any gramatical errors :)
 

donny2112

Member
borghe said:
considering the "next npd" includes black friday, I fully expect DS to do 400K at least from black friday to the end of november. so the question is if it can do 200K in the three weeks before...

It will include Black Friday just barely. November's NPD will go from October 30 - November 26. Black Friday is November 25th. We'll at least see what affect Black Friday and that Saturday have on sales. :)

Gaybrush Threepio,

Any chance of you posting how many of those 40K were Nintendogs bundles? Is the Best Friends bundle for a limited time or will NOE/NOA keep putting them out as long as they are selling?
 

jman2050

Member
donny2112 said:
It will include Black Friday just barely. November's NPD will go from October 30 - November 26. Black Friday is November 25th. We'll at least see what affect Black Friday and that Saturday have on sales. :)

Gaybrush Threepio,

Any chance of you posting how many of those 40K were Nintendogs bundles? Is the Best Friends bundle for a limited time or will NOE/NOA keep putting them out as long as they are selling?

I've been meaning to ask. When they talk about sales for a week including Black Friday (ie, the week GBA sold 800k and DS 500k), does that week start on black Friday, or the Sunday/Mondey before Black Friday.

Also, crazy DS sales. The holidays are going to be monster for it.
 

jarrod

Banned
borghe said:
that might be a bit high, but the point is valid. considering the "next npd" includes black friday, I fully expect DS to do 400K at least from black friday to the end of november. so the question is if it can do 200K in the three weeks before...
True... actually, now I think 600k is probably a low end estimate for DS. It could really do 800k like GBA did previously. Q4 is disproportionately higher for Nintendo's increases versus Sony/Microsoft (PS2/Xbox are far more consistant outside the holidays), Nintendo does about 70% of their sales around this time. So what has the DS sold from January to September, that might be a good way to try and guess Q4 totals?
 

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Gaybrush, now that you seem to be posting these numbers regularly, any chance you have access to numbers for previous weeks, at least as far back as PSP UK launch?...or if you want to really go all out, get 'em all the way back to the DS UK launch.
 

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
kaching said:
at least as far back as PSP UK launch?...or if you want to really go all out, get 'em all the way back to the DS UK launch.
no good will come of that... :lol
 

Asylum

Member
jarrod said:
Well, it's actually Nintendo's weakest market in Europe (proportionately). Though I'd probably guess the DS is selling disportionately welll in the region, it's likely doing 35-40% of overall DS sales. 100k for all of Europe this week would be a nice safe guess assuming it's performing well everywhere
That certainly seems feasable, the DS is performing so well here because there are so many good bundle deals for DS in stores atm. Gamestation for example are offering -

-Pink or Blue Nintendo DS
-Choice of Nintendogs or Mario Kart (as of 25th Nov)
-Choice of any full price game
-Atari Retro Games
-Accessory pack
-£114.99

Thats a great deal considering a standalone DS retails for £90 here. If the other EU countries don't have deals such as that i'd imagine their numbers are considerbly lower so the UK probably would account for a considerably high total if all EU numbers were given for the same week.

Its strange going into a game shop with little DS presence and big signs saying "PSP now back in stock, hurry!" and seeing a few people at the tills purchasing Nintendogs DS bundles. Incredible the affect one game can have for a single system.
 

Gessle

Member
The last numbers I've got from Spain:

End of September:
- NDS: 200,000 sold through (approx.)
- PSP: 144,000 shipped

With the release of Nintendogs, DS numbers should be between 250k-300k, and the PSP has been selling really well (in some stores even more than the DS Nintendogs bundles), so I think they are neck and neck.
 
Top Bottom