• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Sales DS & GBA this week

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Too soon to claim such a thing, but I'm not sure PSP is doing Sony any good. Chief Xbox officer Robbie Bach suggested last year that the launch of PSP might actually have an upside for Microsoft, by dividing Sony's attention and making them lose focus on the main home console race. "If Sony is distracted by way of a war with Nintendo, that's fine with us".
Indeed, one year later, Sony seems to have lost of its superb. They have to fight on 2 fronts and there's something really wrong in their execution. Both DS and x360 are in good position to beat Sony this christmas. 2006 will be a decisive year for a somehow weakened Sony, don't you think?

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Not doubting your numbers Threepio, and I know you work for Nintendo, but how do you get the PSP numbers so quickly?

Taker666

The thing I don't understand in regards to the PSP is why..

Amazon France has the PSP as "usually dispatched in 24 hrs",
Amazon Germany has the PSP as "usually dispatched within 2 to 3 days",
while Amazon UK has the PSP as "usually dispatched within 4-6 weeks."

It's all the same region so why is it available in 24hrs in France but 4-6 weeks in the UK?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Well i dont think Sony can just say

"hey French retailer, we need those PSPs you cant sell back, some British people want them"

Either that or sony really is manufacturing a shortage in an attempt to outsell 360 in december.

Taker666

Ghost said:
Well i dont think Sony can just say

"hey French retailer, we need those PSPs you cant sell back, some British people want them"

Well obviously not but one would assume that if they are readily available in France/Germany then any new stock coming to Europe should be going straight to the UK.

Sony are supposed to be making around a million units a month, yet it appears that at present that they can't even spare a couple hundred thousand for the UK. It's not as if it's a sell out in any other region.

Taker666 said:
The thing I don't understand in regards to the PSP is why..

Amazon France has the PSP as "usually dispatched in 24 hrs",
Amazon Germany has the PSP as "usually dispatched within 2 to 3 days",
while Amazon UK has the PSP as "usually dispatched within 4-6 weeks."

It's all the same region so why is it available in 24hrs in France but 4-6 weeks in the UK?

Most likely bc it's selling much better in some countries than others. Also, keep in mind, that each country/region has its own distribution terms. All of Europe doesnt wait for the UK to get restocked for example. PSP shipments continuously run all over Europe. So, in some countries, maybe like France, as it shows, there are probably plenty of PSPs around as it isnt selling as sharply as it is in UK, which shows a low supply of units. Online retailerrs are a good indications of how much in supply something is. If you can buy it online off of Amazon, then you can find it in stores somewhere, too.

Although UK is the biggest single gaming market in Europe, its sales patterns dont really reflect any other countries. What's selling in UK is not usually what is hot in Germany, France, Spain, Scandinavia, etc.

Izzy

Banned
Hyoushi said:
Giga Pack goes on sale today I think, so the massive UK PSP shortage might finally be coming to an end.

Maybe in Japan, but the UK release date is November 21st.

2001.jpg

Top Bottom