• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
arne said:
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist.

i make no sense

how did me wading in here with some personal curiosity and answering some questions and trying to figure stuff out turn into me asking for feedback? most of you don't even have the game!

I think... He's not being serious :p

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I love the platforming stuff, probably more than anything else in the game, but only on the first time through. Redoing 2 on crushing made stuff like the whole chapter where you climb on giant statues and the ice cavern get old, though they looked great. I would love some various paths somehow to not make them play out the exact same way. Even if it was something ala Gears of War "Pick a direction" stuff that have two intertwined paths that meet up, or maybe even tiered climbing, where the platforming starts off fairly challenging, but you're able to fall and still climb onto a lower route that's easier/leads you to optional combat areas that loops up to the top again. Those have both been things I wished the series dabbled in.

arne said:
what's interesting when you bring up arkham city is maybe something worthwhile for us to take from - they have the exact same thing, only you don't see a button on screen. it's just the lightning bolts around the head of the guy you need to hit Y to counter. That would be a challenge since how do we accurately telegraph that you need to counter in a more realistic sense? so i guess we went really game-y with it by giving you the button press, but the mechanics are the same for that particular bit

I really dug Arkham Asylum's hard mode partially for a reason with this--it DISABLED that counter icon. I had to react on my own accord while in battle just by the enemy tells. Even if you're still hitting the same buttons either way, it felt a lot more fluid and engaged me more. I was actually pretty disappointed AC didn't let me disable it until NG+.

Can't say without playing yet how UC3's melee really works, but in 2 it never was something I wanted to go out of my way for.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
arne my biggest problem with U3 is aiming :( why the hell its so much different than U2?please for love of god change it back to the way it was in U2 or even U1 .oh and new crosshair sucks for long range shootouts

Curufinwe

New lowest score: a C from the AV Club.

http://origin.avclub.com/articles/uncharted-3-drakes-deception,64220/

Gamers are a story-starved lot. Case in point: the success of 2009’s Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. Its zippy storyline and witty, conflicted characters proved potent enough to make gamers forgive what were, even then, outdated gameplay mechanics.

In Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception, the story still zips and characters are still conflicted, but targeting is as twitchy as ever, bad guys still require three or four shotgun blasts to the head before they’re deterred, and the game’s star, Nathan Drake, still has no clue whatsoever about how to crouch. Two years after Thieves, Uncharted’s gameplay mechanics and conventions are no longer dated; they’re borderline archaic.

StuBurns

Banned
Ra1den said:
This is unreasonable in a series such as Uncharted. If an entire sequence is scripted to occur after said floor collapses, what do you expect them to do, create an alternate sequence that would trigger when you avoid the pitfall thanks to this newfound knowledge?

What a waste of development time and resources for something that doesn't even make any sense. Sure YOU know there is a pitfall there, but Drake has no clue, and the idea is that you are experiencing the game through him.

Moreover, why not apply your logic to a million other unavoidable situations in games. Remember that elevator ambush in MGS? If you die there once, you know its an ambush, and you should be able to avoid it, right?
You completely misunderstood that post. The point wasn't I want lots of various set pieces that lead to the next pivotal point, it's that set pieces suck ass, and I don't want any of them. I don't think UC does it notably worse or better than their peers, they just do it way more, and it's boring.

StuBurns said:
You completely misunderstood that post. The point wasn't I want lots of various set pieces that lead to the next pivotal point, it's that set pieces suck ass, and I don't want any of them. I don't think UC does it notably worse or better than their peers, they just do it way more, and it's boring.

so basically you must not like uncharted, the game revolves around set pieces...

thuway

StuBurns said:

You deserve a tag now.

vazel

Banned
I had to delay my purchase of UC3 until next month but I'm happy to see Amazon still sent me the pre-order bonus. Those perks are still going to be helpful in a month, right? Or is everyone going to have them unlocked by then.

Edit: Oops I'm in the review thread.

Rolf NB

StuBurns said:
The term "set piece" is so broad that I don't even know what it means to avoid them. You have to have levels, right? If a level is a set piece, and a set piece is a level, what kind of situations do you expect to play through, if you can call none of them "set piece"?

NullPointer said:

now they're just bullying Uncharted lol. any quotes? I usually don't read negative reviews until I beat the game, because sometimes, the writer don't care about spoiling some of the game's story or setpieces.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
buhdeh said:
Not sure if it has been posted but I was watching Reviews on the Run and one of the hosts gave this game a 6.5 lol
Yeah he was also the reviewer for AV Club. Btw can give a link for that?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
IonicSnake said:
As others have said, my biggest problem is the aiming. It doesn't feel nearly as smooth as it did in Uncharted 2.

The aiming is definitely borked, but my biggest problem is now the complete removal of unlockables from the game. It's something that is pretty rare this gen, with DLC and cheese mints and what not replacing that kind of stuff. I loved unlocking all of the weapons, skins, cheats, filters and so on in the first two games, it's seriously disappointing that the system is removed entirely from UC3. So far it seems like a great game, but that puts a major damper on my interest in returning to it.

IonicSnake said:
As others have said, my biggest problem is the aiming. It doesn't feel nearly as smooth as it did in Uncharted 2.
Yep, came here to post pretty much the same thing. Not sure whose idea it was to "fix" the aiming from 2, but you did it wrong!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Snuggler said:
The aiming is definitely borked, but my biggest problem is now the complete removal of unlockables from the game. It's something that is pretty rare this gen, with DLC and cheese mints and what not replacing that kind of stuff. I loved unlocking all of the weapons, skins, cheats, filters and so on in the first two games, it's seriously disappointing that the system is removed entirely from UC3. So far it seems like a great game, but that puts a major damper on my interest in returning to it.
What the hell? Really?! Why would they do this?

kneePat

Rez said:

It is actually quite ridiculous :/

After playing Gears of War and other shooters very recently, jumping into this is down right frustrating. The aiming is such a fight to get right and it doesn't help that auto aim makes you miss shots. The cursor moves like a god damn Etch a Sketch, forget about aiming diagonally.

Being in the review thread, with all the good reviews and such how did so many reviews miss this? Did they not have the same issues, because I feel they make the game so un-Uncharted. Other minor issues I've encountered are the sound dropping out and the graphics clipping and the ridiculous jaggies, just seems like a lack of solid polish.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Rez said:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/11/01/playstation-store-update-211/
Some of you may have already gotten the jump on the Fortune Hunters’ Club (downloadable from the PlayStation Store) which entitles you to the first four multiplayer map packs, as well as the first three multiplayer skin packs. To celebrate the release of Uncharted 3, those 3 multiplayer skins are now available to download! Fortune Hunters’ Club folks are able to grab these skins now for free! If you haven’t purchased Fortune Hunters’ Club, you can still purchase access to it to save over 45% on Uncharted 3 DLC; or if you prefer, you always have the option to purchase the multiplayer skins individually, or in packs.

http://www.el33tonline.com/past/2011/11/2/us_playstation_store_update_for_november_1st/
If you’re a fan of the Uncharted series then there’s plenty to like in this week’s lineup, including soundtracks for all three games in the franchise, a behind-the-scenes look at Uncharted 3 in this month’s episode of Qore, as well as 31 add-ons (ranging from $0.49 to $9.99) for this epic title.

apparently those resources have been put towards building "value" for the Uncharted 3 Season Pass and DLC

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Snuggler said:

Agreed.

800px-Doughnut_Smiley_Face.JPG

R.I.P :(

Jarmel

Banned
Sn4ke_911 said:
Agreed.

[mg]http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100830011126/uncharted/images/thumb/9/98/Doughnut_Smiley_Face.JPG/800px-Doughnut_Smiley_Face.JPG[/img]

R.I.P :(

Jared diet causes heartattacks confirmed.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Rez said:
I'm going to go use my $24.99 on a tea-table so that I can upend it. That sucks.

The funny thing is that I bought Uncharted 2 full priced (just as I have with UC3), and I bought all of the DLC they released, but these shenanigans have totally turned me off on buying any post-release content for 3. This kind of thing is nothing new this gen, but coming from Naughty Dog, it's like a sucker punch.

All I can think of now is Doughnut Drake being lowered into the ground in his XXL coffin. So many adventures he will never have. :(

Papercuts

To be sorta fair, arne said in a thread(I think the OT?) that the unlockable stuff isn't in because of technical restraints, but that doesn't lessen the blow of losing such a big part of the game. Especially when you go into MP right after putting in the online code to even get through the paywall and see a bunch of models load off the disc onto your game with a shopping cart by them.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Papercuts said:
To be sorta fair, arne said in a thread(I think the OT?) that the unlockable stuff isn't in because of technical restraints, but that doesn't lessen the blow of losing such a big part of the game. Especially when you go into MP right after putting in the online code to even get through the paywall and see a bunch of models load off the disc onto your game with a shopping cart by them.

Interesting, I'll have to find that post. There must be some technically specially about Uncharted 3, then.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
Papercuts said:
mirror world and no gravity make sense but weapon select and infinite ammo ?how could they break the game?

Papercuts

I searched the OT and found out that "learned" contains the same letters as "arne" and that it's used on damn near every page. :|

Found it, though: Here and here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom