• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unfortunately Named Games

Kazza

I was just watching this short review on a well regarded adventure game for the Sega Megadrive. In it you play a male protagonist searching for treasure. I knew about the game already, as well as it's sequel (of sorts) on the Sega Saturn, Dark Saviour. What I didn't know is that it had already received a sequel on the SNES, this time featuring a female protagonist. Now, the original game was called Landstalker, so what do you think they decided to call this female-led sequel? What else, but Lady Stalker!

sfc-lady-stalker_.jpg

I suppose the dagger and single high-heeled shoe on the title screen is supposed to represent the female's choice of weapon and footwear:

maxresdefault.jpg

But it looks more to me like the murder weapon, and a shoe that came off when some poor woman tried to escape the pursuit of the "lady stalker" of the title. I can't read Japanese, but the Chinese characters I can recognise in the text 阻止 (to stop) 男人 (man) 果 (result) and 战 (fight) seem to suggest a rather dark story:

bMG6Jy5.png

Despite what the less than great choice of title may suggest, it really does seem to just be a game about a lady going on adventures:

17.png

Anybody got any other examples of similarly badly named games?

Last edited:

Verdanth

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days says hi.

And I have to go with Kona, which in my country (Portugal) is a very aggressive noun for pussy.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member

Thread over.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ar¢tos

Whore of the Orient (cancelled game). I understand why they picked the name, but in this day and age the SJW armies would destroy them for it.

stranno

Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars is probably the worst case ever. It appeared in the PSN in 2008 and it had some community but nothing special.

Then Psyonix tweaked it a bit + multi-platform release + Rocket League name = Instant classic.

Handy Fake

'Wii Sports' always sounded like some weird urinary fetish to me.

Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars is probably the worst case ever. It appeared in the PSN in 2008 and it had some community but nothing special.

Then Psyonix tweaked it a bit + multi-platform release + Rocket League name = Instant classic.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Summertime High School: A Young Man's Notes—How a New Exchange Student Like Myself Ran Into His Childhood Friend on the School Tour, Then for Some Reason Became Super-Popular with the Girls for His Daily Scoops on the School Photography Club Even Though He Only Takes Panty Shots, and What He Thinks as He Goes on Dates During His Summer of Island School Life.

The end punctuation is part of the title.

Also, Bethesda and Arkane accidentally released a game called Prey, even though the best FPS of all time is already called Prey. Well, that's confusing!

Summertime High School: A Young Man's Notes—How a New Exchange Student Like Myself Ran Into His Childhood Friend on the School Tour, Then for Some Reason Became Super-Popular with the Girls for His Daily Scoops on the School Photography Club Even Though He Only Takes Panty Shots, and What He Thinks as He Goes on Dates During His Summer of Island School Life.

Personally, I feel this title is an accurate representation of what's in the game, and it kinda sells you on it right away. You don't even need to look at the back cover to know what it is about. If only US games could have such descriptive and useful titles:

DOOM - The Story of a Space Marine with Guns, Who Likes to Shoot Rockets at His Feet to Jump Higher and Who Punches Demons In the Throat To Heal, and His Eternal Struggle to Save Mars From A Doorway to Hell Accidentally Opened By a Bunch of Dipshits Who Used Hell As Energy Because It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time.

The Last of Us - The Budding Sexuality of a Repressed Homosexual Girl Played Out Against the Backdrop of a Post Apocalyptic Zombie(ish) Outbreak As a Grizzled, Bitter Veteran Fights Through His Damaged Past and Discovers How To Love Again By Replacing His Dead Daughter In His Heart With a Daughter Replacement That's Just As Good.

TacosNSalsa

Demon's Souls . It's fine until you try to say it out loud in a sentence properly . 9 times out of 10 I say Demon Souls with out noticing till after the fact.

This:
QVl20xt.jpg

Not only is the name bad, but looking at the women with the orgasm (with a bit of derp face) pictured on the box, which wasn't intentional, makes it even worse!

I always disliked New Super Mario Luigi Bros. U. Such a mouthful. Probably a good game though. U as a classifier is sooo bad, the worst in Nintendo's history

Last edited:

Airola

:messenger_hushed::messenger_dizzy:
I thought I am an Air Traffic Controller Airport Hero Hawaii was a long and obscure title but that was nothing...

7th Dragon - It makes sense in one of the games, but not the others. In fact, the games have more than 7 Dragons which go into the 100s! (Should have been called Dragon Slayer)

Legend of Legacy - The name itself makes no sense.

Golden Sun - Another one where they didn't really make a story around it but thought of a Random Name.

Ys - The first and Second games make sense with the name, after that is isn't even referencing the Place.

Chaos Legion - The Allies you use are Legions but why "Chaos"? Should have been "Legion War".

Gley Lancer - Mispronounced "Grey", unfortunate name but legendary game!

Eliminate Down -As Japanese Engrish as you get.

Disaster: Day of Crisis - Generic name followed by a Captain Obvious sentence.

Beyond Good and Evil - The game kind of doesn't really have a strong evil/good motive.

Advance Wars - It was released over here on the Game Boy Advance but it went redundant when released on the DS.

Neir -Silly name really.

Einhander - Pretty dumb name for a shooter....gives the impression you can beat it with one hand!

Opoona - Sounds like "O Poo Nah!"

Greendog - Honestly that is a dumb name for a Surfer.

Canis Canum Edit - Or "Bully" elsewhere...but both are terrible.

Wild Guns - I guess they wanted to show that it's a Western Game? Should have been "Wild Shootout"

Sunset Riders - Opposite of Wild Guns...sounds like a Racing game.

Final Fight - Given that there are dozens of the games....nothing "Final" about it.

Harvest Moon - About Farming but the title.....makes me think you are an Astronaut!

Popful Mail - The name sounds dumb.

Muv Luv - Kind of get the pun but still sounds stupid.

PooBone

Faxanadu - A side scrolling Dragon Slayer spinoff and overall excellent game on the NES that has nothing to do with fax machines or the 80's Olivia Newton John fantasy flick Xanadu.

Faxanadu_NES_US_box.jpg

petran79

Banned
Princess Maker:
One would think this is a game for little girls to create and dress up their princesses, but I would not suggest any parents to give the game to their kids or even playing it themselves. First 2 at least.

Little Witch Romanesque: same as the above

Top Bottom