• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Updated WW Shipments& forecasts for the big 3 (As of Sep 30)

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
ChrisAllenFiz said:
Personally, I think this shows up how misleading some of the sales figures are. Personally I don`t believe 7.5M PSPs are hanging around waiting to be sold. Retailers aren`t stupid, they don`t overstock for the sake of it.
Sony's numbers aren't even sold to retailers but we've been over that a million times as well.

ORANGUTAN said:
lol 5 million 360s sold WW? So basically PS3 will catch 360 sales WW sometime in the Spring/early Summer if they'll have 6 million by end of March. And then cruise past in the Fall. Great head start... I think MS blew it, I still love my 360 though... more top exclusives through 2007.

Again....

THat number will change in 2 hours as it's the last reported number from June 30th.

Arsenal

ORANGUTAN said:
lol 5 million 360s sold WW? So basically PS3 will catch 360 sales WW sometime in the Spring/early Summer if they'll have 6 million by end of March. And then cruise past in the Fall. Great head start... I think MS blew it, I still love my 360 though... more top exclusives through 2007.

Those are old numbers, MS reports their earnings after the market closes this afternoon.

snatches

sonycowboy said:
Again....

THat number will change in 2 hours as it's the last reported number from June 30th.

Hey SC:

What is the typical average in NA of Jan-Sep HW sales vs Oct-Dec HW Sales? As a percentage of annual sales I mean.

For example: 60% Jan-Sep, 40% Oct-Dec?

Just curious in analyzing the 360 potential for the rest of the year.

Pimpwerx

snatches said:
Notice Sony's numbers are shipped from production facility. There would be at least 2 internal stops from their in their own regional warehouse facilities before they went to distribution and then to retailers. A lot of product can be tied up and spread out in these channels.
33%? Something doesn't add up. Materials costs alone would have to be incurred somehow on SCE's books. If that never gets sold, that's a net loss. 33% is absolutely ridiculous. The numbers have never matched up, not from early in the PS2's life to now. PEACE.

donny2112

snatches said:
What is the typical average in NA of Jan-Sep HW sales vs Oct-Dec HW Sales? As a percentage of annual sales I mean.

About 50/50. Of course, it varies from system to system and year to year, but that's about right.

Edit: See sonycowboy's more detailed explanation below. :p

snatches said:
Hey SC:

Just curious in analyzing the 360 potential for the rest of the year.

It's a tricky number to get from an industry standpoint, because the first 15 months of a platform's life, the number's usually out of whack, and then you've got staggered launches, etc.

Anyway,

Here's the percentage of HW sales by year of Oct-Dec relative to the whole year.

2001 64.08% (Xbox, GCN, GBA later launches)
2002 53.73% (Xbox, GCN very slow first 9 months)
2003 52.72%
2004 52.37%
2005 48.67%

So, if we look at Xbox's sales, that might be more indicative.

2001 100.00%
2002 54.78%
2003 55.30%
2004 48.92%
2005 31.80%

It looks to me that you should be able to bank 55%, which would give you 2.56M units to be sold through the rest of the year. (2.1M units have been sold YTD). That would give you 4.6M+ units by the end of this calendar year based on current sales and historical trends. Interestingly, the year Halo came out it dropped to it's lowest (not including 2005 when units were in low supply)

Top Bottom