• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Updated WW Shipments& forecasts for the big 3 (As of Sep 30)

I'll update this later today, once Microsoft announces their shipments around market close today. If any numbers are incorrect or you have some of the missing forecasts numbers, feel free to let me know and I'll update it.

BTW, before people get too crazy

Microsoft = ~Shipments
Nintendo = Sales
Sony = Production shipments (units have left the production facility)

Microsoft

Will be reported later today
Forecast for June 30, 2007

Xbox
I don't have any good info here lately. Anyone else?

Xbox 360
Total (currently at 5M WW)

Nintendo

http://www.nintendo.com/corp/report/1Q07FinancialHighlights(Eng).pdf

Gameboy Advance

Japan 16,620,000
The Americas 39,100,000
Other 21,060,000
Total 76,790,000
Shipment forecast Apr 06 - March 2007: 3,200,000

Nintendo DS:

Japan 11,520,000
The Americas 7,510,000
Other 7,790,000
Total 26,820,000
Shipment forecast Apr 06 - March 2007: 20,000,000

Gamecube:
Japan 4,020,000
The Americas 12,440,000
Other 4,750,000
Total 21,200,000
Shipment forecast Apr 06 - March 2007: nil

Wii: Shipment forecast Apr 06 - March 2007: 6,000,000

Sony
http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/data/index_e.html

Playstation 2
Japan 23,990,000
Americas 44,860,000
Europe 42,400,000
Total 111,250,000
Forcast for March 31, 2007 114,690,000

PSP

Japan 5,370,000
Americas 9,570,000
Europe 8,000,000
Total 22,940,000
Forecast for March 31, 2007 26,030,000

PS3
Forecast for Dec 31, 2006 2,000,000
Forecast for March 31,2007 6,000,000

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
DefectiveReject said:
????????????????????????

Anyone looking at those numbers would think the PSP is doing really well

Considering the price difference, it is...

Taker666

sonycowboy said:
Nintendo DS
Japan 9,240,000
Americas 7,510,000
The Rest 7,790,000
Total 26,820,000
Forecast for March 31, 2007 ??? (17M units for this fiscal year, bumped to 20M?)

It should be 11,520,000 for the DS in Japan.

ziran

DaCocoBrova said:
interestingly, in japan, the region with the biggest difference in sales, there's only $25 between the two, so price isn't likey to be a factor there.

Taker666 said:
It should be 11,520,000 for the DS in Japan.
yeah, sonycowboy's figures don't add up.

edit - sonycowboy, you have the wrong document, you want:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/news/061026e.pdf
last page - 28

Lifetime to date sales as of Sept 06:

Gameboy Advance
Japan 16,620,000
The Americas 39,100,000
Other 21,060,000
Total 76,790,000

Nintendo DS:
Japan 11,520,000
The Americas 7,510,000
Other 7,790,000
Total 26,820,000

Gamecube:
Japan 4,020,000
The Americas 12,440,000
Other 4,750,000
Total 21,200,000

Wii: Shipment forecast Apr 06 - March 2007: 6,000,000

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Wow at the PS2 total sales o_0. That is a lot of units sold! I know that a certain percentage of those sales will be replacing broken units or upgrading to PSTwo...but still, **** me.

DaCocoBrova said:

Considering the software sales data, it isn't...

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
ziran said:
Gameboy Advance
Japan 16,620,000
The Americas 39,100,000
Other 21,060,000
Total 76,790,000

I can't believe people were argueing with me before when I said the GBA would end up with 40 million units in North America by the end of its lifetime.

MrSardonic said:
Wow at the PS2 total sales o_0. That is a lot of units sold! I know that a certain percentage of those sales will be replacing broken units or upgrading to PSTwo...but still, **** me.
Its shipped units

And the PSP sales they're 16m or so, and the price isn't that different especially as mentioned in Japan. Look at software now to see also.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Some tiny info regarding DS sales:

Worldwide sales:
NSMB sales - 6.76m
Brain Age series sales - 8.51m
Touch Generation games sales - 25.27m (13.54m in Japan)
LTD DS Software sales - 103.6m

With about ~15.4m PSPs sold WW there are now about ~7.5m unsold thru Sept!
:lol

While there are ~24.6m NDSes sold WW leaving out ~2.2m...

Guys we hafta figure out why Sony's shipment figures are always so inflated compared to Nintendo/Microsoft's figures ...
There can't be that many defective units...or can there be?

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Square2005 said:

While there are ~24.6m NDSes sold WW with ~2.2m on shelves...

Guys we hafta figure out why Sony's shipment figures are always so inflated compared to Nintendo/Microsoft's figures ...
It was discussed alot before, also look at OP to see explanation:

sonycowboy said:

Microsoft = ~Shipments
Nintendo = Sales

Square2005 said:

As long as they are selling them to retailers, what do Sony care?

Seriously, shipped should be the number used by everyone, it`s just easier.

donny2112

sonycowboy said:
Nintendo DS:
Japan 11,520,000

As of the end of Sept. 06.

Sold as of Oct. 15, 2006 is 11.7 million*. Anyone still questioning if there's massive shortages in Japan?

* - Media-Create

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
ChrisAllenFiz said:

Its easier but not right...

ziran

sonycowboy said:
Thanks.

fixed in my first post. Could you find out what the LTD numbers would be by the end of March 31st for each platform based on forecasts vs their forecast sales numbers YTD? That way it would be consistent between all systems and would let us know the installed bases.
sure.

LTD sales from 06 Financial Year End Doc:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/news/060525e.pdf:

Gameboy Advance
LTD 06 75,130,000
Projected Total by March 07: 78,330,000

Nintendo DS:
LTD 06 16,730,000
Projected Total by March 07: 36,730,000

Gamecube:
LTD 06 20,850,000
Current, as of Sept 06 21,200,000
Estimated Total by March 2007: 21,500,000

Wii:
Projected Total by March 07: 6,000,000

donny2112 said:
As of the end of Sept. 06.

Sold as of Oct. 15, 2006 is 11.7 million*. Anyone still questioning if there's massive shortages in Japan?

* - Media-Create
Nope
Nintendo’ll soon start buying up all the 7m unpurchased PSP’s to melt down and refabricate into DS’ and game cases for the plastic

DefectiveReject said:
Because they are mad?
I'd expect retailers will soon stop ordering them.

Personally, I think this shows up how misleading some of the sales figures are. Personally I don`t believe 7.5M PSPs are hanging around waiting to be sold. Retailers aren`t stupid, they don`t overstock for the sake of it.

You know that the DS is clearly ahead when you see the PSP shipments trailing the DS sold units by a significant margin. :)

Anyway, PS2 is a monster (and deserves all of its sales)... it must have passed GB+GBC by now, surely?

ChrisAllenFiz said:

They'll care if they have to drop the price to shift shipped-but-unsold units - that would mean refunding the retailers who have already bought those systems...

ChrisAllenFiz said:
Personally, I think this shows up how misleading some of the sales figures are. Personally I don`t believe 7.5M PSPs are hanging around waiting to be sold. Retailers aren`t stupid, they don`t overstock for the sake of it.

According to the original post Sony includes units that haven't necessarily been shipped to retailers yet.

ChrisAllenFiz said:
It happened with GC too, and Nintendo had to stop production quite early on

ziran

DefectiveReject said:
If they can get that figure so quickly, how fast would that be in comparison to other consoles?
i'm not sure.

given it's a worldwide launch, 6 million in 4.5 months could be the fastest ever, in home consoles. i think ps2 was slower, mainly because of staggered launches.

Jokeropia

ChrisAllenFiz said:
Read the original post again. Sony's shipments are "production shipments" which include units stored in Sony's own warehouses as well.

FitzOfRage said:
Anyway, does anyone have a LTD comparison for the GB and GBC (and any other handhelds I suppose)?

What for WW?
I have:
GB/P - 69.19m
GBC - 49.50m
GG - 9.69m
WS/C/Sw - 3.30m
VB - 1.26m
NGP/C - 1.15m

Jokeropia said:
Read the original post again. Sony's shipments are "production shipments" which include units stored in Sony's own warehouses as well.

Well then they're doin' a heckovalotta storing in those Sony warehouses...
How many more can they store before they must ship them out to retailers?

Square2005 said:

While there are ~24.6m NDSes sold WW leaving out ~2.2m...

Again, you do remember our discussion from last quarter when you jumped to the same conclusions. You have no idea about sales in regions that you have no idea about. Sony has specifically stated that almost half of their European business is coming from outside of the EU, which is what Gfk and Charttack cover.

You take Nintendo European DS and American sales at face value, but you can't reconcile those sales either. Obviously, Sony's has the issue of being production shipments vs sales, but you're estimation of sales is quite a ways off.

Why would Sony be showing Japanese shipments that are so easily reconcilable to Japan sales (5.3M shipped for Asia vs 4M sales in Japan, include Korea, China, shipments, defectives and you're not far off) and yet when we get to much more diverse regions, the numbers are off by 50% or so??? It simply doesn't make any sense.

sonycowboy said:
Again, you do remember our discussion from last quarter when you jumped to the same conclusions. You have no idea about sales in regions that you have no idea about. Sony has specifically stated that almost half of their European business is coming from outside of the EU, which is what Gfk and Charttack cover.

You take Nintendo European DS and American sales at face value, but you can't reconcile those sales either. Obviously, Sony's has the issue of being production shipments vs sales, but you're estimation of sales is quite a ways off.

Why would Sony be showing Japanese shipments that are so easily reconcilable to Japan sales (5.3M shipped for Asia vs 4M sales in Japan, include Korea, China, shipments, defectives and you're not far off) and yet when we get to much more diverse regions, the numbers are off by 50% or so??? It simply doesn't make any sense.

Sc, they must be inflated. Take a look at Lifetime PSX shipments in North America (from Sony): 40.78m, okay we hav:
30.5m sold in the U.S. (from NPD) and it's not selling anymore...
Canada makes up about 8% of U.S. that's ~2.5m w/ch gives us ~33m!
The Spanish American countries can't make up for the 7.78m left over! Those markets are too small, agreed?
So how do you explain the extra 7-8m?
Even ioi, who adds 15% to NPD sales for North America comes short by about 5.7m...!!!
Did Sony produce 7m defective units that they kept from shipping to retailers but still include in their figures?
And how many PSXs do you believe, at the most, hav sold outside of Canada and The States that are included w/ N. America?

donny2112

sonycowboy said:
Sony has specifically stated that almost half of their European business is coming from outside of the EU,

And, from that same discussion IIRC, there was the simple question of what Sony meant when they said that. From the context, I took it as the "45%" included Germany (and probably other Eastern European countries), as the statement was made at the German Games Convention to show the importance of German sales to Sony's bottom line. Therefore, that 45%, in my opinion, included Germany's (and probably other countries normally considered part of "Europe") contribution to sales.

There's also the fact that PS2 shipments to U.S. and Europe are double what was shipped to Japan. It could very well be that, based on expectations of similar PSP sales, that retailers ordered more from those two territories.

My bottom line is that it is not as clear cut where the 7.5 million discrepancy is coming from as you tried to make it sound.

I still prefer to focus on what we know rather the delve into the great unknown of "the rest of the world," though.

Well, here's my graph, updated:
279923901_095133bad3_o.png

Does it look accurate?

Pimpwerx

Jokeropia said:
This is interesting, b/c since it was pointed out, it does raise an eyebrow. If it's just units produced, how does it factor into the bottom line at the end of the day. Is it a cost on the books, or is it recorded as a sale? You can't just produce stuff and not account for it. How do large consumer electronics companies normally handle this stuff? I doubt SCE would be much different. PEACE.

LevelNth

Banned
Damn, the PS2 is an absolute beast. To think it's done that many and still hasn't hit $99 yet. I think it'll be able to break 120m no problem, and maybe even squeak by 130m. That's insane.

ChrisAllenFiz said:

No because that doesnt reflect how many are actually in the hands of gamers and people buying games

the point of something like this is to show 3rd parties where they have the best chance of selling their game

if the Station X shipped 30 million to retailers but only sold 10 mill and Station y shipped 27 mil to retailers and sold 26 mil of them and you only went by shipped numbers then you would think to relased games on X when it would be better off to release them on Y

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
DefectiveReject said:
????????????????????????

Anyone looking at those numbers would think the PSP is doing really well

"Microsoft = ~Shipments
Nintendo = Sales
Sony = Production shipments (units have left the production facility)"

jimbo

Banned
sonycowboy said:
Xbox 360
Total (currently at 5M WW)

What the heck? I thought Microsoft announced back at E3 that they have shipped 5 million as of June 30th. I'm confused.

This article was posted 7/21

When the company announced its first quarter earnings, it said that it hoped to ship 4.5 million and 5.5 million Xbox 360 consoles during fiscal 2006. It hit that target, selling 5 million shipments for the fiscal year.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060721-7321.html

June 30th is when MS's fiscal year ends.

So they have not shipped anything anywhere since?

sonycowboy said:

Microsoft = ~Shipments
Nintendo = Sales

Did we ever have some kind of general consensus what this exactly means? What exactly is the difference between a "shipped" Microsoft Xbox 360 and a "sold" Nintendo DS Lite? Same of course goes for Sony. Does this production shipment thing have some direct connection to sales to retailers or could Sony (just as an example) produce 500 million PS3 without selling a single one to retailers and you'd find "PS3: 500m" in their financial report?

Just btw. I think it's pretty interesting that Sony shipped ... errr produced nearly 4m units in the last quarter - which adds up to nearly 6m for the first 6 months - but has reduced the target for the full year to 9 millions. Imo it seems that Sony still sort of speculated that PSP sales would pick up and therefore produced in order to keep the 12m target. Now they are obviously sitting on a whole lot of PSPs and therefore only plan to produce 3m in 6 months (which include christmas and easter).

In terms of sales in Asia I think it's interesting to point out that from the beginning of January till the end of September Sony shipped/producer/whatever 1.17m to their Asia region. Japan sell through according to Media Create for the same period (January 2nd till October 1st) on the other hand is 1.36m, which is quite a difference considering that their is atleast South Korea which also counts to their Asia region (dunno what else).

snatches

cw_sasuke said:
Its easier but not right...

Notice Sony's numbers are shipped from production facility. There would be at least 2 internal stops from their in their own regional warehouse facilities before they went to distribution and then to retailers. A lot of product can be tied up and spread out in these channels.

jimbo said:
What the heck? I thought Microsoft announced back at E3 that they have shipped 5 million as of June 30th. I'm confused.

This article was posted 7/21

When the company announced its first quarter earnings, it said that it hoped to ship 4.5 million and 5.5 million Xbox 360 consoles during fiscal 2006. It hit that target, selling 5 million shipments for the fiscal year.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060721-7321.html

June 30th is when MS's fiscal year ends.

So they have not shipped anything anywhere since?

Reading comprehension FTL.

sonycowboy said:
I'll update this later today, once Microsoft announces their shipments around market close today. If any numbers are incorrect or you have some of the missing forecasts numbers, feel free to let me know and I'll update it.

Microsoft = ~Shipments
Nintendo = Sales

Microsoft
Will be reported later today

----

Banned
Let me spoil the surprise:

PS3
6M by March '07 (won't make it)

15M by June '07 (won't make it)

Wii
6M by March '07 (will make it)

ORANGUTAN

Banned
lol 5 million 360s sold WW? So basically PS3 will catch 360 sales WW sometime in the Spring/early Summer if they'll have 6 million by end of March. And then cruise past in the Fall. Great head start... I think MS blew it, I still love my 360 though... more top exclusives through 2007.

Those PS2 sales are great even if you account for the ~15-20million that were shipped, but not sold through (replacement for faulty hardware).

Top Bottom