• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verizon and Walmart will unveil their new Game Services and VR implementation/compatibility at the AWE 2019 conference. (Starts in May 29-31)

Are you hyped that Verizon and Walmart are fully entering the gaming industry?

• Total voters
While I don't know what AWE stands for, apparently it's where a lot of big AR/VR guys go to. Walmart (profiles) was just recently added to the site with additional details (kind of) and they will be at the AWE event to talk about VR stuff and their new gaming service. Whether or no Walmart will have their own VR device launch with their video game service platform is a mystery.

Also as stated in the other thread, Verizon is also going to be at AWE, they will have some of their engineers come on board to reveal their Game service as well as compatibility with various VR. They will also be involved in other parts of the show that have nothing to do with the service so Verizon will be involve in this conference multiple different ways. Showing their interest in gaming investment.

The AWE conference is going to start on May 29th and end on May 31st. You can get tickets if you want to go their live, it's in Santa Clara California. If that's a thing that interests you. Live Streaming will be how most of us will watch it however.

There is talk there may be a third new service unveiling there as well, but I am waiting on confirmation before I mention it, there's already enough of these guys jumping in as is. However there are currently discussions on how this will work so there are no conference times for this yet (outside the general talks that are already scheduled with other topics) but the gaming unveils themselves have no time scheduled yet, but likely we will find out those times within the next month.

Just Now
#AWE2019: Hear from @Adobe @Bose @facebook @LiveNation @Nestle @Verizon &more; attend brand new tracks like #Gaming & #Marketing; &experience over 120k sqft of #ARVR experiences. PRICES INCREASE this Sunday at midnight PST https://buff.ly/2tcP5bg

Dyv4eWnU8AA7EKh.jpg

D2mdqUOWwAA5FFz.png

cryptoadam

Banned
I am convinced all these companies watched Ready Player One over a weekend and decided they all want to launch the Oasis so they can be like the evil corporate board pushing ads into 95% of our head space LOL.

Calibos

Alright. now I am on the "Avengers Unite" bandwagon...Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo need to band together and snuff this spreading fire out. I am all for competition, but this is getting dumb.

Sony's global appeal, artistic and tech prowess, Microsoft's nerd power, infrastructure and services prowess and all of Nintendo's innovation and mindshare alternative prowess...Mega game company time!

But really though...all I can say to the topic is. WHY?

EDIT: And Steam's amazing store, vast library and community!

Last edited:
This is getting crazy now.

Amazon
Apple
Google
Parsec
Rainway
Att (rumored)
Verizon
Walmart
Gaming Anywhere
Playgiga
Geoforce Now
Blade Shadow
PS NOW
Xcloud
Project Atlas From EA (most forgot about this they are still working on it)

and I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting about, like the HP thing and other stuff. But yeah, it's getting a little crazy. This is just off the top of my head.

Alright. now I am on the "Avengers Unite" bandwagon...Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo need to band together and snuff this spreading fire out. I am all for competition, but this is getting dumb.

Sony's global appeal, artistic and tech prowess, Microsoft's nerd power, infrastructure and services prowess and all of Nintendo's innovation and mindshare alternative prowess...Mega game company time!

Because if any of them partially succeeds they can trap you into a walled garden where they can milk you for cash even if theres no real growth afterward. They can also control all your content, and control what you are allowed to do. You also will never own your games so they can yank them from you when they die off, or take them way as punishment.

Calibos Calibos "THE KING OF THE NORTH! THE KING OF THE NORTH!"

ph33rknot

Banned

invite steam to the party

Calibos

Amazon
Apple
Google
Parsec
Rainway
Att (rumored)
Verizon
Walmart
Gaming Anywhere
Playgiga
Geoforce Now
Blade Shadow
PS NOW
Xcloud
Project Atlas From EA (most forgot about this they are still working on it)

and I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting about, like the HP thing and other stuff. But yeah, it's getting a little crazy. This is just off the top of my head.

Because if any of them partially succeeds they can trap you into a walled garden where they can milk you for cash even if theres no real growth afterward. They can also control all your content, and control what you are allowed to do. You also will never own your games so they can yank them from you when they die off, or take them way as punishment.

Sure I get that whole "walled garden" thing...suppose we are all in one in some way or another anyways. Many on that list are smaller players or niche companys. Seeing Wallmart jump on the bandwagon just made me double take is all. Strange days.

Starting to feel like 1982 all over again.

A slightly false and exagerrated history.

1982 only had 4 active consoles that were widely sold and that is what originally started the "3only" process we have today. Revisionists made it seem like Europe only consoles that were sold in one city were taking over the market or consoles like mail-order only astocade.

It was Atari, Mattel, Coleco, and Philips/Magnavox. That's one too many, but there were not 8 consoles as revisionists say. Who also added ET and Pacman to the mix out of nowhere.

Of course this comparison was poor anyway, all those consoles actually had content and libraries. All these guys have is......datacenters?

I doubt I will get any of the new consoles but they can have a go at it. This will keep the current big players from trying to sneak more money grabbing initiative or they will provide an alternative to their greed and censorship. If it becomes a mess I have enough games to play for a few years.

LOLCats

Banned
wow another browser game service...

But seriously, who asked for this? What focus groups are these companies talking to?

RiccochetJ

What's with everyone jumping into the pool now and all at the same time?

Microsoft buying up a bunch of studios before this onslaught makes a lot of sense if they even had a whiff of what was coming.

Last edited:

DiscoJer

1982 only had 4 active consoles that were widely sold and that is what originally started the "3only" process we have today. Revisionists made it seem like Europe only consoles that were sold in one city were taking over the market or consoles like mail-order only astocade.

It was Atari, Mattel, Coleco, and Philips/Magnavox. That's one too many, but there were not 8 consoles as revisionists say. Who also added ET and Pacman to the mix out of nowhere.

Of course this comparison was poor anyway, all those consoles actually had content and libraries. All these guys have is......datacenters?

It wasn't the number of consoles that was the problem, only the Atari 2600 really mattered. Coleco & Intellivision only had like 3 million consoles sold each and the Odyssey 2 was only 2 million to the Atari 2600's 30 million. But what hurt was that anyone could make 2600 games and so the market was flooded with games.

And then it had competition from home computers - the Computer 64, the Atari 400/800, the Apple 2 , in Europe the ZX-81, all had better graphics than consoles and could do computer stuff on top of it.

Clear

While yes the "whole crash of '83" is widely misunderstood and exaggerated, the specific comparison is what happens when a bunch of "too big to fail" names from outside of gaming all decide to get in on the action at the same time?

You get fragmentation and lower sales for everyone.

It wasn't the number of consoles that was the problem, only the Atari 2600 really mattered. Coleco & Intellivision only had like 3 million consoles sold each and the Odyssey 2 was only 2 million to the Atari 2600's 30 million. But what hurt was that anyone could make 2600 games and so the market was flooded with games.

And then it had competition from home computers - the Computer 64, the Atari 400/800, the Apple 2 , in Europe the ZX-81, all had better graphics than consoles and could do computer stuff on top of it.

This is also incorrect.

Intellivision was still a good seller pre-crash, which was in 84, not 83, And Coleco was outselling the 2600 every year until 1985, where the 2600 sold 1 million units despite the market being "dead" which kind of contradicts the "Nintendo saved everyone" narrative. You're looking at sales numbers from now instead of from the time period. Atari didn't sell 30 million until after the crash.

You can still get 1982 articles about retailers complaining about carrying four consoles libraries on the shelf. IGN is largely to blame for people blaming Atari for the "crash". The site that started as an N64 fanboy blog. thanks

The primary reason the crash happened, other than what I said above about retail stuffing, is that companies that were jumping in, but made decent to good games, were selling their games at $20-30 less than your Imagic or Activision AAA level game. Then you had the bad companies doing the same thing, but the role the bad companies had were exaggerated.

The issue were the good games from the B tier developers. Why would I pay $60-$70 bucks for Gyruss if I can get budget Gyruss with particle effects and demons for $20 bucks, and since it took less ROM space, more levels?

It's like if today, all the A and AA developers that make decent to good games sold their retail games for $20. EA, Square, Ubi, Activision, Namco, etc, would start seeing sales drop massively, and would have to drop the price to $20 as well.

That's the main reason why the crash happened, but as stated about the 2600 in 1985, the crash was industry only. The market was buying games still. There just was no profit in it for publishers or retailers, well some of them, others did fine.

Some actual people have said they didn't even know there was a crash, only that they saw games being sold in bulk for bargin prices at times. That's because the myth "gaming was dead" was false. Market was alive, Industry was crippled.

While yes the "whole crash of '83" is widely misunderstood and exaggerated, the specific comparison is what happens when a bunch of "too big to fail" names from outside of gaming all decide to get in on the action at the same time?

You get fragmentation and lower sales for everyone.

To big to fail in what? Google's failed with many products and killed them within seconds. Walmart is a retail company with nearly know digital experience.

You're worrying too much. The fragmentation only happens if these services get s foothold. If most buyers are still on Xbox/PS that won't mstter

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
What's with everyone jumping into the pool now and all at the same time?

It's probably due to companies (maybe MS's Azure) renting data center space out to other companies that want to get in on the "Streaming video games" bandwagon. Everyone that talks about games for a living on a podcast seems to think in 5 years we won't have consoles or physical media anymore.

So it makes sense why all these companies want free money. Most of them aren't even creating the content. Just hosting or renting server space.

McRazzle

The Walmart service has the best chance of being successful.
There's one almost everywhere where they can locate servers and most importantly they can draw
people to demos in store , answer questions in person and handle billing or other issues in store.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Verizon and Walmart are two names I trust when it comes to gaming. Mega hyped for another streaming service.

ill keep playing my console while these guys battle it out. in the end one of them will end up with a superior product and the consumer will benefit.

Clear

To big to fail in what? Google's failed with many products and killed them within seconds. Walmart is a retail company with nearly know digital experience.

You're worrying too much. The fragmentation only happens if these services get s foothold. If most buyers are still on Xbox/PS that won't mstter

Not American so the "crash" was frankly irrelevant to me, in Europe it was the golden age of home computing.

I tend to find the people who mythologize about it simply weren't old enough to experience it first-hand.

Not American so the "crash" was frankly irrelevant to me, in Europe it was the golden age of home computing.

I tend to find the people who mythologize about it simply weren't old enough to experience it first-hand.

The post your quoting and the response don't exactly match lol.

Now, this is just a guess but RCN will be at this same event. So I'm ASSUMING that means they will reveal the Giant Food game streaming service there.

However, I don't think either company has vr so it might not be there but who knows anymore.

Top Bottom