• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verizon "gaming related" reveal happening TODAY (time pending)

UPDATE (3:50pm): Verizon will be unveiling their services in May at the AWE expo, as will Walmart.

Apparently, Verizon will reveal something about gaming within the next several hours. No info of exactly when they will show up but I'm assuming it's going to be either a short live stream about their vision, or a Video demo of some service. It was previously reported that Verizon was working on a game streaming service and was in the testing phases, that's likely what this will be about.

Since that news broke in February, nothing has leaked out. Verizon ran a tight ship, and no ones been able to even get anything from the team that's working on it. So this will be the first fully blind reveal in a long while.

As of now no time has been given, so for all we know it'll come out of nowhere. But it seems that it will be revealed sometime today. Like I said nothing has leaked, there are no rumors, nothing about Verizons games on demand service.

Also just recently, Verizon has announced an unprecedented partnership with the NFL, this deal will include working with the NFL on 5G technology and cool stadiaum stuff. but it also involved mobile gaming as well. I'm sure that will be elaborated upon during this address as well. It seems Verizon and the NFl will be working with developers for producing NFL themed Mobile games.

Last edited:

DadEggs

crimeny. verizon?!

what do these companies expect?! just throw their hat in the ring and pray they come out successfully defeating the majority?

i feel like most of these companies should just skip ahead and partner right out of the gate

I guess Verizon probably has the infrastructure to offer some sort of streaming gaming option but, I mean, I would imagine it would be hard to get your foot in the door at this point.

Who knows though.

I live in a major city and I still have dead areas in populated areas. Work on that shit first, Verizon. Then offer me games

I guess Verizon probably has the infrastructure to offer some sort of streaming gaming option but, I mean, I would imagine it would be hard to get your foot in the door at this point.

Who knows though.

I live in a major city and I still have dead areas in populated areas. Work on that shit first, Verizon. Then offer me games

You probably leave in an irrelevant low priority area that will eventually get good coverage but isn't necessary when they are advertising the coverage maps.

I didn't make that up btw, I used to work for Verizon until 2017 part-time in the marketing on the side. It's not about actual coverage it's about the site maps, and it's not just Verizon that does this. If you can get good signals in most parts of the country, all the small in between parts are irrelevant because your site map looks better than Sprints and AT&T's, and they think the exact same way (worked for ATT as well.)

Also if you're from the United States, one of the reason why there's only ONE or sometimes, two choices for TV providers is because in 13 or so years ago, maybe even a bit more, cable companies ran into properties and municipality governments trying to sell long-term 10-15 year contracts so they are the only option you can get. Still going on today.

Both of these combine into what I believe will be a lackluster Verizon experience.

Of course being an ISP, Verizon could lift the datacaps, they'll probably require you to pay a sub to access it for its gaming service, however at least that's something.

Bryank75

Banned
I keep saying, google, verizon and all these streaming services are only in it for a quick buck. They think having a few server farms is good enough and job done. If people use these services , it will be a disaster for gaming.

Fragmentation of the market will mean EA have a streaming service that all the football people need, Activision have one for the COD people , Ubisoft have all their games on their service and so on... It's gonna be stupid.

NickFire

This is starting to get ridiculous. Competition is wonderful, but I am not convinced all these new entries into the industry are competing to actually sell me great games. Back to patiently waiting for someone to formerly announce that I can buy actual AAA games to play on the console I own next generation.

Ar¢tos

Can't wait for games to come exclusivity roadmaps.
First 3 months exclusive to storefront A, then 3 months available only on storefronts C, E, X.
If you didn't buy it, then you are screwed for a while, because after that it becomes available only on streaming services for another 3 months before becoming available everywhere.
But... 1 month later the first DLC is released and its exclusive to storefront T and so on and so on...

2wlsuf.jpg

Please don’t be a streaming service verizon

if they do well Sony have only to blame themselves for not investing more into the dedicated console and starting the game streaming race

am pretty sure PS NOW is the first game streaming thats not applicaton based like onlive. where its pretty much click on game to play

Last edited:

NickFire

Won't be shocked if they say in conjunction with Comcast (etc.),, the cable companies are launching a new gaming service. It's really rad. How it works is if you use data for gaming, you must pay us an extra 10 bucks a month for gaming access, or we will block the traffic altogether. In effect, we are now partnering with all game makers. You're welcome. Nee Ner Nee Ner Nee Ner, give my that money.

Top Bottom