• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warcraft III Reforged Edition (Remaster) Announced!

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Will the online be revamped as well so it will be modern 1v1, 2v2, 4,4 matchmaking or garbage old school like Starcraft 1 remaster?

I looked forward to playSC1 remastered until I saw what a nostalgic mess it was.

Zewp

Nice. I'll buy this just to play the campaigns again. I haven't played them since childhood and I remember them being awesome.

Last edited:

DryvBy

Will the online be revamped as well so it will be modern 1v1, 2v2, 4,4 matchmaking or garbage old school like Starcraft 1 remaster?

I looked forward to playSC1 remastered until I saw what a nostalgic mess it was.

The website shows it's going to have matchmaking.

Dada55000

That's nice. Bummer about all the custom maps being shafted though. Doubt anyone will remake even the fondly rememberd ones besides Dota.

I wonder if they included the missing maps from Reign of Chaos. 3 levels were cut from the Orc campaign, but were included in the WC3 demo, and later as a custom campaign in TFT. (Butchered, mind, since they removed the audio files and triggers.) Honestly, not missing much but you basically skip over how trolls joined the Horde. In retail WC3, the tutorial campaign ends with orcs going to Kalimdor, and then the orc campaign starts with trolls magically being there alongside them when they arrive. It's really awkward.

tenthleveltaurenchieftain

twdnewh_k

Looks cool and I'll definitely check it out.

With that in mind, I still had higher hopes for this year's Blizzon.

Skyn3t

Banned
I'm a console player at heart, but had some fun time with WarCraft 2 & 3, but... Blizzard is a fuckin joke, the remaster is done without really putting any efort. The game should be remade or a new installment should be developed.

Blizzcon? Nope, Blizzlol.

Ivellios

Finally! i have been waiting so long for this...
My favorite RTS ever along with Command Conquer Tiberian Sun

Elcid

Banned
Annoying that it doesn't include the Frozen Throne but this is a day 1. Warcraft 3 is one of the greatest games of all time. I am still praying for a WC4 that just ignores WoW.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
05272-arthas.jpg

Glad you could remake it Uther.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have mixed feelings, I like the updated character models but the maps kinda look like ass. Expected a bit more for a remaster.

I'm not sure this was really needed. The WC3 game and engine still controls well.

The Starcraft Remastered was very necessary though!

Looks like the way I remember it.

Seriously, I actually had to double check Arthas’ picture, just to be sure the footage was from the remaster.

Kreydo

Omg this is SOOOOOOO lazy and cheap for a corp that make billions... Look guys we remade the 3D assets and increased the texture size, go buy it again feel the "nostalgia" (lololo)!
Blizzard fanboys are the worse to themself this is desperating.

Last edited:

Mokus

I'm very happy for this. They actually do more work on the game than I expected. Maybe this time they will include the demo campaign because they left it out in Starcraft Remaster.

Warcraft 2 and 3 such defining games for me... in a lot of ways, not just gaming haha. I think my interest in economics and industry, even, started at its earliest point playing the demo disc of that WC2 stage 1 map I got from an old PC gamer or something haha. used to spend hours mining and logging the eff out of that little map. setting up patrols even tho there was no real need. it and maybe my first 4x strategy (Romance of the Three Kingdoms on SNES) that shit got me so into industry, logistics, economics, etc haha.

I still remember why WC3 was supposed to be a RPS (Role Playing Strategy, too)... and that original GameSpot preview of it showing the original WC3 art style back when everything was bigger and more realistically proportioned, and it described how your troll hunter could track people, and you'd use it to track humans through a snowy forest or something to ambush their farming base.

game evolved from that of course but the game still had some amazing 'patrols' and 'scouting'.... I think that was really where I loved the story campaign of WC3 so much. a lot of the maps where you didn't just have to defeat an army, but it kinda promoted taking out '4 enemy clans' or investigate farms or defend a caravan as it goes through the forest. kinda like that classic 'defend the Cho'gall caravan' from WC2 too haha WC3 had a lot of maps that were really cool sort of scouts, treks, or patrols through the forests and mountains.

so, to see that that 'reforged' with new art is gonna be awesome for me. oh, I hope they use the assets to do WC2, too ;O

Kenpachii

Cool but...wc4? Isn't that a tad overdue :(

It's blizzard, zero effort is there moto. I wouldn't even be shocked if frozen throne isn't included with it.

Omg this is SOOOOOOO lazy and cheap for a corp that make billions... Look guys we remade the 3D assets and increased the texture size, go buy it again feel the "nostalgia" (lololo)!
Blizzard fanboys are the worse to themself this is desperating.

Totally agree, absolute the most lazy effort i ever saw after 15+ years or whatever long it is.

If they actually cared we would have warcraft 4 with a full blown AAA budget.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
Nostalgia doesn't work for me when it comes to old games. Doesn't matter how much I liked WC3 back then, the RTS genre has evolved beyond it.

Instead of making this a free bonus alongside a new Warcraft game they'll charge $30 for it because their fanbase is well-trained.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Blizzard isn't every company.
Way to miss the point. It's still unfair to say that only they do "updated graphics" to games. At least they are putting in some kind of effort to make a very old game look like a new game unlike obvious cash grab updated resolution "remasters".

These kind of remasters actually deserve the hate.
D7gjuZI.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Kreydo

We are talking about Activision Blizzard here... Your exemple is just a port with enhanced model for a 3 years jump console generation.
Warcraft III is 16 years old! Their "remaster" look hideous this is an insult to the players.

I can't even believe Blizzboys don't say a shit about this, they are so brainwashed and sold to that company.
Blizzard should have made a REMAKE of War III or create a new entry, but no let's just give some "high' poly WoW model to these peasent, as long as we print money selling lootbox on Overwatch and pony on WoW.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Way to miss the point. It's still unfair to say that only they do "updated graphics" to games. At least they are putting in some kind of effort to make a very old game look like a new game unlike obvious cash grab updated resolution "remasters".

These kind of remasters actually deserve the hate.
D7gjuZI.jpg

Holy shit what game is this?

Pinktaco

The game features both RoC and TFT. If you've seen grubby play it you'll know it's not just upscaled, but remade. Voices are the same though.
They'll also add modern features to online and bring back the old automated tournaments.

If you're WC3 fan you'll like this. Unless you dislike the graphics of course.

llien

Uh, a couple of chars got improved models, slightly better cinematics (couldn't care less) and thats it? Underwhelming for me.

Exciting part is that, perhaps, WC4 is coming.

The website shows it's going to have matchmaking.
Old WC already had matchmaking, what are you guys talking about?

This looks like a well thought off remake, after a long absence from Warcraft universe this might just be what i need, i always prefered the cartoon like artstyle to the realisme in StarCraft.
could prove to be the new energized vigor i need to re-appreciate Warcraft 3 and Frozen Throne.

Helios

Some of the models/terrain look really out of place. I'm not their target demographic, though. I can play W3 just fine but if people want to pay for a texture pack that's fine.

CuNi

That’s really cool by why not just make wc4?!!

I'D say because it would spoil future WoW content. Since WoW is still going strong, W4 would either need to play out somewhere on azeroth with races that nobody knows of yet (Current WoW content) or WoW needs to end so the Story can progress. Honestly, WoW is literally the largest hurdle for a W4 to exist as of rn.

Edit: Anyone noticed!?
It says required storage is 1.3GB...
What the f!? I never seen anything below 10GB nowadays...
1.3GB was 1:1 the same REQ W3:TFT had, or am I wrong!?

What kind of space magic is this!?

Last edited:
Top Bottom