• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warcraft III Reforged Edition (Remaster) Announced!

KonradLaw

Can someone explain to me why this is called a remaster instead of a remake?
Because it's a pc game. If you just touch up the graphics it's just remaster. Remake would require rebuilding the entire thing from the ground up, which would actually be unnaceptable for fans, as it would change the gameplay.
What passes off as "remasters" on consoles these days is akin to going into menu of pcgame and bumping up the resolution and AA.

NahaNago

My biggest grip with this would be the trees and grass, they just look old. The ground just looks weird to me now. Updated characters and scenes are nice but I wish they had spent a little bit more time on the scenery.

edit: I'm not sure if it is day one after watching the trailer.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member

It's a shame the Wii U didn't do so good because we could have gotten some "portable" RTS love with it. I say this as someone who played and beat this fun GBC game.

I'm sure a Warcraft Wii U would have controlled better than Starcraft 64 ever did.

Last edited by a moderator:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
They're not capable of making anything new. It's basically a company living off its own fat that accumulated over the years.
Since you mentioned over the years, lets look at the new things Blizzard has made:
  • Overwatch
  • Hearthstone
  • Heroes of the Storm
Yeah, clearly they are not capable of making anything new. And sure, if you want to be pedantic (And i know for a fact you would point this out) than yeah, two out of 3 games listed are part of an existing series. That does not refute the point however, as these are completely new titles, just taking place in existing universes. Warcraft 3 Reforged is really an exception to this, being an existing game giving the makeover treatment.

As usual you are spouting an extreme take devoid of any factual evidence.

renzolama

It's blizzard, zero effort is there moto. I wouldn't even be shocked if frozen throne isn't included with it.

Totally agree, absolute the most lazy effort i ever saw after 15+ years or whatever long it is.

If they actually cared we would have warcraft 4 with a full blown AAA budget.

Don't necessarily agree with the accusatory language, but yeah, it seems kinda sad that Blizzard 2018's pitch is: "hey guys, we got a phone game and two remasters coming!"

Remember when you guys loved World of Warcraft and Warcraft III? Rememberrrrrr??????

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Don't necessarily agree with the accusatory language, but yeah, it seems kinda sad that Blizzard 2018's pitch is: "hey guys, we got a phone game and two remasters coming!"

Remember when you guys loved World of Warcraft and Warcraft III? Rememberrrrrr??????
WTF am I reading?

Why is Warcraft 3 getting re-released a big cause for butthurt? Blizzard often goes years without releasing anything major so I'd say this is pretty much the norm as far as releases and to me is a positive.

Now, if Blizzard really wanted to make a splash they would remaster the first two Warcraft games in addition to the third. Although, they should outright re-redo the first two

renzolama

WTF am I reading?

Why is Warcraft 3 getting re-released a big cause for butthurt? Blizzard often goes years without releasing anything major so I'd say this is pretty much the norm as far as releases and to me is a positive.

Now, if Blizzard really wanted to make a splash they would remaster the first two Warcraft games in addition to the third. Although, they should outright re-redo the first two

Whatever floats your boat

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
This is what I would want to see. Those games really need modern controls / UI because they are a chore to play compared to Starcraft and WC3.

Last edited by a moderator:

stranno

It's a shame the Wii U didn't do so good because we could have gotten some "portable" RTS love with it. I say this as someone who played and beat this fun GBC game.
Warlocked is outstanding, they even fitted great music and digitized speech. Good graphics, controls, gameplay, multiplayer and infrared features, Bit Managers at its finest.

Last edited:

Chiefganja

Neo Member
The moment this was announced I was a bit ho-hummmmm bout it.
Then, it hit me that they're bringing back the world editor.

As an avid fan of the Warcraft series and a player of DoTA from the first rendition, I wonder if the community would be open to a "throwback" or "new" DoTA in this HD remaster.

Hmm. :messenger_sunglasses:

BlackTron

I was always a Starcraft fanatic, but I never played this game, or really any Warcraft for that matter. Maybe this is the time to start!

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
This looks remarkably underwhelming. Will Blizzard ever do something original again?

Last edited:

Duallusion

Looks like the way I remember it. Seriously, I actually had to double check Arthas’ picture, just to be sure the footage was from the remaster.

Our memories tend to remaster old games we haven't seen for a while into 4K HQ texture pack editions in our minds. Quite interesting, that.

UgriWC3

Neo Member
My biggest grip with this would be the trees and grass, they just look old. The ground just looks weird to me now. Updated characters and scenes are nice but I wish they had spent a little bit more time on the scenery.

edit: I'm not sure if it is day one after watching the trailer.
They didnt touch terrains yet

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
New character models aside, doesn’t it look similar to the normal Warcraft III, maybe even uglier?

This picture looks like two 3D models with a cheap background in 3D max. And art has doesn’t even look like himself.

1024_2000.jpg

Hudo

New character models aside, doesn’t it look similar to the normal Warcraft III, maybe even uglier?

This picture looks like two 3D models with a cheap background in 3D max. And art has doesn’t even look like himself.

1024_2000.jpg
This might be a very late reply but Blizzard have said themselves that they took the WarCraft III engine and "just" extended it with some new effects, replaced the models, textures, animations and reworked the cinematics. They did it like this to preserve everything related to the gameplay and game feel. It also allows for players of the original game to play with players of Reforged (but I would question if they'll really go through with this in the end...) and it also ensures map compatibility.

TexMex

Beyond hype for this. I don’t care what it looks like as long as the gameplay is in tact. As someone who still plays Frozen Throne, being able to find a game online is the real win here.

currently near impossible to find anything other than 1v1, and even that you have to sit idle in matchmaking for several minutes.

Kenpachii

Imagine billions of dollars gathered from world of warcraft, 15 years later can make a remaster of warcraft 3, not even 4 and copy paste vanilla wow.

That's it.

Honestly i wish this company was bought up by somebody competent.

dirthead

Banned
Imagine billions of dollars gathered from world of warcraft, 15 years later can make a remaster of warcraft 3, not even 4 and copy paste vanilla wow.

That's it.

Honestly i wish this company was bought up by somebody competent.

That isn't it. You completely ignored Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3.

Gargus

Banned
Since you mentioned over the years, lets look at the new things Blizzard has made:
  • Overwatch
  • Hearthstone
  • Heroes of the Storm
Yeah, clearly they are not capable of making anything new. And sure, if you want to be pedantic (And i know for a fact you would point this out) than yeah, two out of 3 games listed are part of an existing series. That does not refute the point however, as these are completely new titles, just taking place in existing universes. Warcraft 3 Reforged is really an exception to this, being an existing game giving the makeover treatment.

As usual you are spouting an extreme take devoid of any factual evidence.

Hots is 4 years old.

Hs is 5 years old.

Ow is almost 4 years old.

Yes they had some games that were new, years ago. And the next game on the horizon is a mobile diablo game no one really wants so that's certainly not going to be new.

I get what you're saying but aside from overwatch their other newish games are still steeped in their other brands, and the games themselves while are highly polished are still just replicas of other popular games so they aren't even unique or different in the kind of game they are. Even all of those 3 games have the same look, feel and sound to them. Even though they are different games they definitely have the same vibe which makes them even less unique in a way.

But despite all that they never seem to do anything new or different. They play everything so safe and close to the vest that it all starts to seem the same. To me it just feels like they lack any originality or creativeness because they just keep doing the same things. And the rare occasion they do a new game its them copying a multiplayer trend like they did with hots, hs, and ow. They take something that's been well proven to attract a multiplayer audience and then they "blizzafy" it.

Generic

Hots is 4 years old.

Hs is 5 years old.

Ow is almost 4 years old.

Yes they had some games that were new, years ago. And the next game on the horizon is a mobile diablo game no one really wants so that's certainly not going to be new.

I get what you're saying but aside from overwatch their other newish games are still steeped in their other brands, and the games themselves while are highly polished are still just replicas of other popular games so they aren't even unique or different in the kind of game they are. Even all of those 3 games have the same look, feel and sound to them. Even though they are different games they definitely have the same vibe which makes them even less unique in a way.

But despite all that they never seem to do anything new or different. They play everything so safe and close to the vest that it all starts to seem the same. To me it just feels like they lack any originality or creativeness because they just keep doing the same things. And the rare occasion they do a new game its them copying a multiplayer trend like they did with hots, hs, and ow. They take something that's been well proven to attract a multiplayer audience and then they "blizzafy" it.
Overwatch created the trend of hero shooters.

Kenpachii

Dude overwatch was a rip off from a warcraft 3 mod in counterstrike it wasn't even original in the slightest.

It hitted a market and that's great, sadly it does nothing for there die hard fans that play there ip's already for ages.

Generic

Dude overwatch was a rip off from a warcraft 3 mod in counterstrike it wasn't even original in the slightest.

It hitted a market and that's great, sadly it does nothing for there die hard fans that play there ip's already for ages.
What mod?

Murr

It looks cool. Just wish my wrists werent busted from playing so much rts over the years...:messenger_weary:

Kenpachii

What mod?

All the big juggernaut PC titles are all clones of PC games and further developed solutions but based around the same concepts. ( Dota's / BR's / overwatch etc.

To give you a idea what the mod is about it was hugely populaire on counterstrike servers.

U could choose different classes like orcs or humans elf etc and everybody had there own thing. U had skill choices like throw big nuke nades, had a ult that if you die u explode. When humans could teleport and go invisible. U choose when u get x amount of experience on what you get or what class u got.

I would sit invisible in weirdest corners death still in the hope somebody wouldn't see me and i could kill a bunch of people. Loads of fun.

U could experience up etc, it was hugely fun to play and well done.

Mods for warcraft 3 and half life and quake where way in front of there times. There where huge mods that where insanely massively like huge BR maps of entire city's where people would fight loot and get stuff etc before br where a thing. They where all free also because they where mods even counterstrike was completely free and had its own mods.

U had pokemon world where u had a entire map, where you could with a ton of people catch pokemons, level them up and do a tournament fight after it.

Where u where defending one group against the other group the gates of lord of the ring of that castle which was massive hype.

U had entire mods like dragonball z fighter in huge maps with loads of people together, where u could transform level up, do beam fight struggles, combo attack eachother with 20 other people on the same map. Where u could collect dragonballs and summon dragon to get whatever u want as reward, which resulted in a huge brawl when somebody almost had it collected etc.

Last edited:

Murr

T'was a very triangular game in its day.

So this is welcome.

...Doesn't mean you aren't complicit in the oppression of Hong Kong tho.

I mean Hong Kong is Chinese. Just take a look at a map. In 25 years it will have chinese laws. No matter if one likes it or not. it is a losing battle.

Top Bottom