• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? - August edition

Alucard

Banned
Guybrush Threepwood said:
I had to read Life of Pi one year in high school and I swear that everyone but me hated it.

I can see how people in HS would find it difficult to get through. It is just a lot of time out at sea. I'm also in the camp that loves the book. My sister bought me the new hardcover edition with painted illustrations. Pretty cool. :)

LifeOfPiIllustrated-US.jpg

Some examples of the artwork...

tt-pi_07.jpg

tt-pi_20.jpg

tt-pi_28.jpg

Danielsan

Alucard said:
I can see how people in HS would find it difficult to get through. It is just a lot of time out at sea. I'm also in the camp that loves the book. My sister bought me the new hardcover edition with painted illustrations. Pretty cool. :)

Ooh man, I wish I had that instead of the paperback.
edit: gorgeous artworks!

Dagon

kathode said:
Slowly but surely (it's crunch time):

annakarenina.jpg

Still trying to work out exactly which body part this is here. I'm 99% sure it's supposed to be boobs because it's a reference to the classic cover, but it just doesn't look... quite right.

I believe those are knees...

Ovid

When do u guys get an opportunity to read? When I come home from work & the gym I am to tired to read anything.

Alucard

Banned
I'll sometimes read at work, or instead of watching television when I'm at home.

I collectively spent a couple of hours of my day today finishing up Star Wars: Heir to the Empire, simply because I had a free day all to myself. I had a little over 100 pages to go and got through it. Pretty good book as well, with a true Star Wars feel, and plenty of interesting characters and developments.

BruceLeeRoy said:
FU#$K Im reading this too.

If I had the balls I would try to post a small thread on these books but the
backlash would never be worth it.
I'm glad I'm not the only GAFer who reads the series. I've considered making a thread too, but I didn't for the same reason as you. :lol

I'm currently reading this:
1424f35.jpg

Currently reading:
dm78yc.jpg

Got it at a church book sale for pretty much nothing.

But this is just a prelude to my new, very long term project I'm beginning once it arrives from Amazon:

idx47t.jpg

We'll see if I ever finish it. I'm trying to keep expectations for my progress through this tome very, very low. It's a VERY long term sort of project.

roosters93 said:
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightime by Mark Haddon.

I've been meaning to read this forever. Had a copy sitting on the shelf (another church book sale find...I love how religious people sell books!) for about a year.

I assume you consider it excellent?

newsguy said:
b24c4310fca042c3a0f0a010.L.jpg

I have to say, it took around 400 pages before this one really started to grab me.

Probably the same here. I love the Song series, but the second book seemed to pick up a ways into the book. But when it starts to climb, it really fucking surges.

Alucard said:
HeirEmpireL.jpg

I've recently gone on a slight Star Wars kick, having watched the new Clone Wars animated feature, the mini-series, and Attack of the Clones (barf). This book takes place 5 years after Return of the Jedi, with Leia being pregnant with twins, and Luke trying to help establish the New Republic. There are some interesting new characters so far, particularly Grand Admiral Thrawn, who is intent on bringing back the glory days of the Empire. Anyway, the pace has been brisk and engaging so far. I'm just over 60 pages in.

Good stuff, though admittitedly its probably been about 7 years since I've read it :lol

nitewulf

Steel%20Remains%20Richard%20Morgan.jpg

Imported it from England. I have such astronomically high expectations for it that it has almost zero chance of meeting them.

KingGraham said:
I've been meaning to read this forever. Had a copy sitting on the shelf (another church book sale find...I love how religious people sell books!) for about a year.

I assume you consider it excellent?

Yeah it's pretty good.
It's nicely non-linear and a bit out there but then my book collection isn't very out there.
It's about an austistic boy and it's written in 1st person as if he is writing a book.

Dagon

KingGraham said:
Currently reading:

But this is just a prelude to my new, very long term project I'm beginning once it arrives from Amazon:

idx47t.jpg

We'll see if I ever finish it. I'm trying to keep expectations for my progress through this tome very, very low. It's a VERY long term sort of project.

I'd like to hear updates from you on this. I've looked at it and it just seems way too daunting. The Borders near me has it on the best-sellers list every now and then. I would wager the percentage of people who actually work their way through the whole thing is ridiculously low.

Socreges

Banned
moving to spain in a month and i've been reading appropriately....

Currently reading:

homage.jpg

Can't comment much since I've really just started, but I enjoyed the only other book (1984) that I've read from Orwell so I've got high expectations (yeah I know they're very different).

Just finished:

20070803145903192.jpg

A book I may need to read again to fully understand. Really is understated and I'm slowly beginning to make sense of everything as I think it over. I loved the characters, though.
can't believe i never understood that jake had his penis mangled... makes that final line all the more meaningful, though. "Isn't it pretty to think so?" as if he knows that it would be disastrous

Dabbled with:

311x480.aspx

ConfedDunces.jpg

Two really similar books, recommended and received from the same person. I had to return them before I put much time in, but I hope to go back. Both have wonderfully fat and ridiculous protagonists.

oh, and Watchmen!

Socreges

Banned
The Road has taken over this thread - I'll read it soon, I think

I really want to read Kurt Vonnegut. Never have. Cat's Cradle or Breakfast of Champions?

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
I am reading a book about John Brown for a book I am writing. It is pretty dry and boring. Does anyone know any book that is quite interesting about John Brown?

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
kathode said:
Slowly but surely (it's crunch time):

annakarenina.jpg

Still trying to work out exactly which body part this is here. I'm 99% sure it's supposed to be boobs because it's a reference to the classic cover, but it just doesn't look... quite right.

I am going to try and read that while I am on my medical study too.

Boogie9IGN

BruceLeeRoy said:
Let me know what you think when you finish it.

I forgot about this thread when I finished the books, oops.

I really liked it, but the ending was a bit predictable I think. Still, the relationship between the boy and his father is wonderful and the last few pages are great (Don't want to spoil anything). It's a pretty quick read too, 278 pages or so with pretty big font.

How's that David Sedaris book, Falch? I almost bought that book based on the cover illustration alone but decided to wait a bit.

Slamo

Alucard said:

:O

I <3 Life of Pi.

Kildace

Currently on a Pratchett kick after a year or so of not reading anything by him.
Finished Making Money and Monstrous Regiment last week (both excellent, wish I had known that Making Money was the sequel to Going Postal that I haven't read yet, though).

Currently on :
n1994.jpg

Started out okay but not amazing. It's fun to see a book with a plot that's 100% Gaiman but with Pratchett's quirks.

2093ehg.jpg

The first book I've read since... god I can't even remember... something Eddings.

Really loving it, can barely put it down. Will have to watch the movie once again once I'm done though
BLASPHEEEMEEEER!!!!
, I heard there's an extended cut!

Top Bottom