• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WHAT ARE YOU READING? DECEMBER EDITION

Eric P

rv_freeforall.jpg

if you've ever used a library, you should probably read this. it's a very entertaining account of life as a civil servant in a unique position. very funny stuff. I'm on last chapter and i have just torn through it. it reads really quickly so get it from the library or wait for paperback

0141017899.jpg

a friend who spent the end of november in london picked this book up for me. it's highly enjoyable, but he does wear you down a bit with the constant complaining. still it's rather funny and if you're a fan of topgear and clarkson's persona, then there's a good chance you'll enjoy this as well

I'm reading "Scarlet" by Stephen R. Lawhead, "An Arsonist's Guide to Writer's Homes in New England" by Brock Clarke, and I picked up the book for I am Legend.

51iMiwvqprL__BO2204203200_PIsitb-dp.jpg

This is the second book in the King Raven trilogy. It's an awesome retelling of the Robin Hood myth set in Wales aroud the 11th century. It's deeply rooted in the political intrigue and Celtic Mythology. It also can be a very brtual book from time to time.

51ip5wf0GRL__AA240_.jpg

I haven't actually started reading this one yet, but the bit I skimmed seemed really good, and the title intrigued me so much I had to support the author.

Skuld

eagerly awaiting an invasion of thick Hispanic cock across his border
412eSm-0qCL._SS500_.jpg

51PXSCEFWZL._SS500_.jpg

Just started these, but they both seem to be about boys in the 14-16 year-old range, so it should be interesting to see how they are similar and how they are different.

thomaser

61rK0i7ovBL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

Still plugging away on Vineland by Thomas Pynchon. Much more manageable than his larger books, and just as fun. I don't get people claiming that this is clearly his weakest. It's damn fascinating, is what it is.

51FAB39FPZL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

Also reading "Return to the Whorl", nearing the end of Gene Wolfe's "Short Sun"-trilogy. His three "Sun"-trilogies are by far the best sci-fi I've read, with the first ("Book of the New Sun") being my favourite because of the awesome protagonist and the overall dreamlike uncertainty everything has.

After these two, which I'll probably finish in a week or two, the next couple will be "Life, A User's Manual" by Georges Perec and "Hadji Murat" by Tolstoy.

Skuld

eagerly awaiting an invasion of thick Hispanic cock across his border
keanerie said:
http://www.ospreydesign.com/foreword/archives/Free-Culture.jpg

Woah, awesome cover. Does the actual book have the same effect?

salva said:

Why, yes, you're doing it right now.

After Dark - Haruki Murakami

A little past the halfway point and I've lost interest. I just finished Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman - which is much, much better.

Foulcault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco (thanks to Gaf recommendations) Which is very good so far 150-200 pages in.

After I'm done with that I plan to track down a copy of The Death and Life Of Bobby Z by Don Winslow(read all the stuff available by him in the UK and am gonna have to import the rest)

thomaser

teruterubozu said:
After Dark - Haruki Murakami

A little past the halfway point and I've lost interest. I just finished Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman - which is much, much better.

Yeah, I forgot - I read Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman before starting Return to the Whorl. And it's by far my favourite of Murakami's short story-collections. I find his novels much more interesting, usually. After Dark is the only Murakami I've left to read.

Rosewat.jpg

I just got this, As I Lay Dying and a 1961 copy of Franny and Zooey.

9780060850524_brave_world.jpg

I've never gone from so interested in a book to so bored. I'm at the part with New Mexico and it's boring me to tears. The first chapter was phenomenal.

NekoFever

I'm on a bit of a kick for books that I should have read but for some reason never have. So literally about ten minutes ago I finished reading Nineteen Eighty-Four for the first time and I intend to finally get through the copy of the complete Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which I've had sitting here for years and have never read beyond a few chapters.

Yes, I'm ashamed on both counts. I'm generally quite well read so getting those two out in the open is a way of clearing my conscience.

Xater

NekoFever said:
I'm on a bit of a kick for books that I should have read but for some reason never have. So literally about ten minutes ago I finished reading Nineteen Eighty-Four for the first time and I intend to finally get through the copy of the complete Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which I've had sitting here for years and have never read beyond a few chapters.

Yes, I'm ashamed on both counts. I'm generally quite well read so getting those two out in the open is a way of clearing my conscience.

Funny those two are also sitting on my shelf.

Xater

Mr. Banana Grabber said:
Hey xater, I read that in 7th grade. It was easily the largest book I'd ever been through at the time and I have no idea how I accomplished it.

I can tell you how, it's actually a pretty fun read with all the anecdotes fromt he people that were involved. I loved all the drug stories from the early Atari days. :lol

I have 5 weeks off now, plenty of time to read some books. Starting with this one:

5887a2e949b856b008b6ef0a26528274.jpg

I loved Pompeii and Imperium, I hope this is as good as those.

Wow just found this on Amazon, nice!

e60e500995fc863b3b68c9a1172abf17.jpg

Edit: Ok, customer reviews for this box are horrible. It's only cheap cardboard.

41VY8ASPE1L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

Compelled by The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Black Dossier

513EZJSB7SL._AA240_.jpg

I got all six volumes, also compelled by the totality of LoEG.

51HH085VM5L._AA240_.jpg

Marvel's got this new thing in the back of their books where they ask a general question to all their creators and this week they asked for peoples' favorite Marvel moments and Mike Carey cited this awesome New X-Men moment so, viola, time for another re-read.

511F65bA1bL._AA240_.jpg

Why is it taking me so long to finish this?

51JQxyyzNNL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

Oh, that's why.

:D

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
BenjaminBirdie said:
51JQxyyzNNL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

Oh, that's why.

:D

Good man. I'm about to get my hands on a review copy of the final book in the trilogy, Last Argument of Kings, which I'm super excited for.

How're you enjoying it?

Eric P

Greatness Gone said:
absolute_watchmen-489dc.jpg

Arrived on Friday. SOOOO awesome.

i seriously need to get that.

i JUST got the Absolute Sandman Vol 2 in the mail late last week. it's so stunning. they recolored more of the original issues and there's just a TON of supplemental material. quite a jump in quality from the first volume

aidan said:
Good man. I'm about to get my hands on a review copy of the final book in the trilogy, Last Argument of Kings, which I'm super excited for.

How're you enjoying it?

I'm totally loving it. I'd been jealously eyeing it from across the pond for a long time and they finally released in the states a month or so back. Really rad stuff.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
BenjaminBirdie said:
I'm totally loving it. I'd been jealously eyeing it from across the pond for a long time and they finally released in the states a month or so back. Really rad stuff.

You've got a lot to look forward to, then. The second book is great and takes things off in a new direction and the third book is supposed to be a terrific wrap up to the trilogy. I am a huge fan of Ninefingers, in particular, and can't wait to see how his story (along with his buddies in the north) pans out.

I've got reviews of The Blade Itself and Before They Are Hanged on my blog, if you wanna check them out.

Top Bottom