• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WHAT ARE YOU READING? DECEMBER EDITION

aidan said:
You've got a lot to look forward to, then. The second book is great and takes things off in a new direction and the third book is supposed to be a terrific wrap up to the trilogy. I am a huge fan of Ninefingers, in particular, and can't wait to see how his story (along with his buddies in the north) pans out.

I've got reviews of The Blade Itself and Before They Are Hanged on my blog, if you wanna check them out.

I'll check the first one out when I'm done. Thanks!

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
10935.jpg

10736.jpg

36486629.jpg

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Mama Smurf said:
51sT1CdH-aL._SS500_.jpg

I've read...one whole page.

So far, very average.

It picks up. Don't worry.

The Name of the Wind takes a bit of time to pay off, but it's worth it in the end. On the surface it's the same story you've read a hundred times (orphan with magical powers, prophecy, evil ancients stalking the earth) but somehow Rothfuss makes it all feel new and fresh again.

Unfortunately it was just announced that they aren't expecting the second novel in the trilogy to come out until 2009 now, despite the fact that Rothfuss had written all three novels before even getting inked to a publishing deal.

At the risk of sounding like a self-promotional douche, I've also got a review of The Name of the Wind over at my blog and also an interview with Rothfuss (PART ONE | PART TWO).

I just finished reading "Last Exit to Brooklyn" (Hubert Selby) yesterday, so that totally counts. :p

Next up:
- Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs: A Low-Culture Manifesto (Chuck Klosterman)
- The Rum Diary (Hunter S. Thompson)

beelzebozo said:
you will love this. hilarious guy

Seconded. I love Klosterman. When I went to see Radiohead at MSG: Theatre I was wearing my Quentin Quire inspired Magneto Was Right t-shirt and this guy was like "Nice shirt." and I was like "Thanks."

My friend was like, "That was Chuck Klosterman."

jet1911

BenjaminBirdie said:
Ah, The Stand.

I really wish the new King book design wasn't completely terrible though.

/Really Anal Musings About Print Design

Yeah it's really meh. I'm not reading this edition though.

B0000OECE6.jpg

Doesn't look better. :lol

rcua1884

I'm reading Richard Matheson's "I Am Legend" in preparation for the movie coming out in less than two weeks. I finished the actual "I Am Legend" story and going through the various short stories that follow.

Twilight Zone writers are brilliant.

Right now I am reading...

Act of Treason by
Vince Flynn

Not the most highbrow of books I admit but some times you like to be lightly entertained.

Mitch Rapp is quite the badass too.

FnordChan

golden.jpg

On the recommendation of my girlfriend, and in anticipation of seeing the film adaptation with her this weekend, I just picked up The Golden Compas yesterday. I'm a few pages in and wondering how much I'll have done by the time we go see the flick, but it looks like a relatively short, fast read so it'll probably work out.

Next on my list depends on whether I want to lug around a hardcover or not. If so, it'll be the alterante history murder mystery Farthing by Jo Walton (set in occupied England after the Nazis win WW2), if not I'll be enjoying Conspiracies, the third Repairman Jack novel.

FnordChan

Cdammen

Xater said:
Anyone already read this one? How good is it? I always wanted to try a Neil Gaiman book.
I've read it two times. Dunno if it's Neil Gaiman's best book but it sure was a blast to read.

I actually love his short stories more.

Eric P

FnordChan said:
On the recommendation of my girlfriend, and in anticipation of seeing the film adaptation with her this weekend, I just picked up The Golden Compas yesterday. I'm a few pages in and wondering how much I'll have done by the time we go see the flick, but it looks like a relatively short, fast read so it'll probably work out.

FnordChan

i've tried so many times to read that books, but i think that the time in my life when it would have affected me greatly has passed, so i can't really connect

like when i read ender's game a few years ago for the first time.

i can understand WHY people fall all over themselves slobbering for more, but i myself couldn't.

i finished the clarkson book and started up Alison Bechdel's Fun Home

Funhomecover.jpg

Amazing book. Just absolutely amazing. I was a fan of dykes to watch out for, but never had a chance to pick this book up. i found it on Saturday at a used book store for $3 (along with a lot of older Mammoth Book of Year's Best Horror edited by Stephen Jones) so i figured why not.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Xater said:
Anyone already read this one? How good is it? I always wanted to try a Neil Gaiman book.

It's terrific.

It's kinda slow going through most of the novel and it seems like not a whole lot is going on, but once you hit the end you realize just how subtle and genius Gaiman's characterization and plotting are. Everything comes together, big time, and the pieces falling into place is a beautiful thing.

You can't go wrong with American Gods.

rocK`

Banned
I finished reading all sherlock holmes mysteries I could get my hands on.

I love the style and the characters, is there any hope for me to make a transition to any other type of mystery novels? Suggest some please!

nitewulf

i am really into the 'bangkok' series by john burdett, starring thai zen monk/detective inspector sonchai jitpleecheep. currently reading the latest,

51xJUjmsEqL._SS500_.jpg

Koojay said:
A good friend recommended the series. So I'm trying to get into it. Pretty good book so far.
Yay! I'm glad I'm not the only one reading the Twilight series. :D I absolutely love the series.

Alucard

Banned
This month I have finished the following...

cavesteel3.jpg

This was my first exposure to Asimov and I really enjoyed it. Breezed through it in 2 days or so, and really loved Asimov bringing issues of ignorance and intolerance to the forefront, in a book that is essentially a crime solving mystery about a human cop and his robot partner. The ending was a little cheesy (leaving the office arm-in-arm), but this was still a nice, light meditation on civil rights, racism, and getting over our prejudices.

5150E5V9NEL._AA240_.jpg

Easily forgettable romp through space. An interesting final third does not make up for the other two thirds of blandness, despite Russel having a very witty and sharp tongue. The basic story is about a smart-mouthed scout pilot who crash lands on an alien planet and must find his way back home, and does so by lying through his teeth and using his wits. There is some solid entertainment in the last part of the book, but ultimately it left me feeling indifferent. If you're up for a light sci-fi snack, give it a whirl, but you could do a lot better.

silverberg-nightwings.jpg

I'm about two-thirds of the way through this one and am enjoying it immensely. Silverberg's mix of science fiction with fantasy is alluring and engaging, and his prose sometimes border on poetry. The story of a man trying to find what to do with himself after his life's work is over, mixed with a commentary on the egoism and pride of mankind, make for a great read. Highly recommended for anyone interested in sci-fi or fantasy. Great characters and great writing; I'm hoping it finishes strong!

After this, I will likely be finishing up Asimov's Robots trilogy. From there, I will either move on to The Wizard of Oz, Alice in Wonderland, or Dune. I'm excited for the books to come!

Eric P

Alucard said:
This month I have finished the following...

cavesteel3.jpg

This was my first exposure to Asimov and I really enjoyed it. Breezed through it in 2 days or so, and really loved Asimov bringing issues of ignorance and intolerance to the forefront, in a book that is essentially a crime solving mystery about a human cop and his robot partner. The ending was a little cheesy (leaving the office arm-in-arm), but this was still a nice, light meditation on civil rights, racism, and getting over our prejudices.

After this, I will likely be finishing up Asimov's Robots trilogy. From there, I will either move on to The Wizard of Oz, Alice in Wonderland, or Dune. I'm excited for the books to come!

this series is really quite good.

i'd like to suggest the foundation series as well, which is pretty awesome and there's a few books of collected short stories he did. these are excellent as well.

Alucard

Banned
Eric P said:
this series is really quite good.

i'd like to suggest the foundation series as well, which is pretty awesome and there's a few books of collected short stories he did. these are excellent as well.

Yeah, I think I will be all over Asimov over the next few months. I picked up The Gods Themselves for 65 cents at a used book store, and the other 2 books in the Robots trilogy. I would also be curious to check out the Foundation books, and Asimov's more serious musings on life, the universe, and everything in between. I was looking through his section at a used book store, and the amount of stuff he's written is staggering.

Eric P

Alucard said:
Yeah, I think I will be all over Asimov over the next few months. I picked up The Gods Themselves for 65 cents at a used book store, and the other 2 books in the Robots trilogy. I would also be curious to check out the Foundation books, and Asimov's more serious musings on life, the universe, and everything in between. I was looking through his section at a used book store, and the amount of stuff he's written is staggering.

yeah, he was very prolific. my dad used asimov to get me into sci-fi as a kid so i always have a soft spot in my heart for him, even if it's been over a decade since i've read any novels from him

Eric P

oh, i JUST finished what i was reading about 20 minutes ago and have moved on to something i've had in my "to read" pile for a while now
178a1363ada028b02c98d010.L.jpg

picked it up thanks to the excellent Jones and Newman Horror: 100 Best

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Destined_to_Witness_book_cover.jpg

Really damn amazing book!!! Anyone with any interest in history or human stories READ THIS please!

Skuld said:
412eSm-0qCL._SS500_.jpg

51PXSCEFWZL._SS500_.jpg

Just started these, but they both seem to be about boys in the 14-16 year-old range, so it should be interesting to see how they are similar and how they are different.

I was pretty bored with A Seperate Peace, but thats probably cause it was for school. Give it a shot. I'm reading the Quiet American, also for school, but picked by a better teacher who knows a lot about literature. XD

Mamesj

Banned
After I finish "Do androids dream..." I'm moving on to the shitload of Murakami books I ordered from amazon a while ago, but still haven't cracked. Starting with these:
mail.jpg

518DCVESNQL.jpg

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
Finished:

The Better of McSweeney's - Various

Reading:

Pale Fire - Nabokov (re-reading, actually)

On deck:

Light Years - James Salter

way more

420addict said:

That book is so great.

hagakure.jpg

And then I get to write an essay explaining how "Ghost Dog" is faithful to the ideas in the book. Ugh.

What class would that be?

I just finished reading "Last Exit to Brooklyn" (Hubert Selby) yesterday, so that totally counts. :p

Next up:
- Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs: A Low-Culture Manifesto (Chuck Klosterman)

I just started Requiem For a Dream by Selby and it is brutal. I'm only 15 pages in.

I need to check out Klosterman but all I know of him is the stuff of his he's read on NPR and I usually hate it. I hope he is better in book form.

Top Bottom