• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading, mother? MAY I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric P

Mother's day is the 11th this year, kids. Don't forget that!

GER47.jpg

I'm currently reading Berlin Noir, an omnibus of three works of mystery set before, during and after world war 2 in germany.

March Violets is the first book (the term comes from Nazi Come Latelys who joined the party after Hitler's victory after the passage of the Enabling Act, which pretty much killed democracy in Germany).

A former policeman turned private investigator is hired to find the jewels stolen from the safe of a rising party member. And that's about as far as I've gotten. So far it's excellent. It's damn near everything that Christina Falls was not. It's crime fiction but with a literary slant which doesn't lose sight of the genre roots or conventions.

One thing that annoys are the constant asides to German pop culture. I guess it's like Tarantino name dropping, but sometimes it just doesn't work.

just finished:
41qSIlqLwDL._SS500_.jpg

Informative book, and the in theater chapters were best. I skipped two contained chapters that didn't seem as interesting.

finishing (very quick read):
25856361.JPG

I don't recommend it, and Vonnegut's probably my favorite author. There's a bunch of short stories of his they found, and none of them stand out. There is a good opening written by his son though, one of his letters home from Dresden, and a university graduation speech that he never gave (you can find this online) that were good though.

Instead of just whenever toilet reading, I think I'm actually going to read through I Am America. I'm also going to give The Road another try after forgetting it at home for a few months midway through.

Eric P

i haven't liked any of the posthumous vonnegut. It's really annoying because there are tons of uncollected articles which he's written but no one is collecting those. it's these little horrible things.

saelz8

Was reading In Gods We Trust, by Scott Atran

Stopped about half-way through, and just read chapter summaries and the end of the book. It's crazy dry, basically a research paper in book form. Lots of substance, amazing explanation of religion, but a chore to read because of its style.

Deciding what I'm going to read next.

FnordChan

Cosmic, report back on the tasty crime fiction you're reading. I'm always interested in hearing Hard Case recommendations (not that I've gotten to any of their books that I've picked up just yet) and The Wheel Man looks interesting.

Based on Eric's recommendation, I just finished tearing through David "First Blood" Morrell's Creepers which was just as good as promised in the April reading thread. It's about a group of urban explorers who venture into an abandoned hotel in Ashbury Park, NJ with a lot of secrets and unexpected surprises. When things hit the fan they really hit the fan and it's all downhill from there. I liked it quite a bit and will check out Scavengers at some point as well.

I just started in on my next paperback, F. Paul Wilson's Hosts, the fifth Repairman Jack book. I'm all of 25 pages in and don't really know what the plot is, but I'm looking forward to another solid entry in the series. I'm also waiting for Amazon to ship me a couple of Charlie "Screenwipe" Brooker's non-fiction collections, Screen Burn and Dawn of the Dumb.

FnordChan

WedgeX

Banned
Just finished up this (which strangely enough took me longer than War & Peace, but such is my reading style when under pressure):

31N1ZT02FYL_SL500_AA223_.jpg

Half way done with this, which ties in surprisingly well with Grant's views on slavery in his memoirs. Also, if you have any empathy at all this book will getcha just a little misty eyed:

518mgGCOdnL_SL500_BO2204203200_PIsi.jpg

And then on to this:

51F2B0fqWHHL_SS500_.jpg

After Legacy I've got a bunch of random books to start, such as Ulysses and Three Roads to Valhalla, which I have no idea what its about but it showed up, so I must read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom