• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading?

ManaByte

Right now:
0399151931.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

And I guess I'll get Buba's book tomorrow night:
0375414576.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
about to be the davinci code.

how is it?

RedDwarf

Smegging smeg of a smeg!
Currently reading:
1559706643.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

It's ok. I'm fairly confident that the author is completely mistaken in his solution, but the background info is good.

Just finished:
0670032999.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

An interesting background check of some of the most powerful people around.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
I'm reading Ash: A Secret History by Mary Gentle. Bargain at 99p (as opposed to £9.99, the normal price...)

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Damn your WHSmiths! *shakes fist*

I can't go into Smiths every day just in case that's when they're doing their yearly thing!

Alucard

Banned
Just comic books for this geek. I should start A Horse and His Boy soon though. Yay Narnia. I can be really lazy when it comes to reading.

MIMIC

Banned
7053060.jpg

I'm learning so fucking much! :D

I'm on the part where
Langdon and Sophie figure out the anagram that was written by the dead guy

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
catfish said:
about to be the davinci code.

how is it?

I'm reading it currently.

To begin with, I was somewhat skeptical...I tend to think that something as popular as it is couldn't possibly be good. I have to say, though, it's interesting as all hell. I've read about 200 pages in the last two days. Seriously, EVERY CHAPTER is a cliffhanger.

Teh Hamburglar said:
I ordered it but it hasn't arrived yet.

vert.american.gods.jpg

Excellent book! I loved the ending. The butler did it. ;)

Seriously though, it's an excellent read, a bit slow in the middle, but worth it.

Right now i'm starting to re-read the original.....

lionwitchwardrobe.jpg

Mama Smurf

Minotauro said:
I'm reading it currently.

To begin with, I was somewhat skeptical...I tend to think that something as popular as it is couldn't possibly be good. I have to say, though, it's interesting as all hell. I've read about 200 pages in the last two days. Seriously, EVERY CHAPTER is a cliffhanger.

His chapters amuse me, some are so short. One may even have been a single page long if I remember correctly.

Prospero

087975558X.01.LZZZZZZZ.gif

Interesting stuff, as long as you don't take him too seriously--half of what he says is purely for shock value.

Tomorrow I'm going out to get the Clinton book.

nitewulf

ManaByte said:
Too bad the movies will suck.

Foundation starring Will Smith with nothing to do with the books other than the title!

that's "I, Robot", there havent been any anouncements regarding a foundation movie to my knowledge.
"Da Vinci Code" is a pretty fast read, certainly entertaining. As a thriller it had some holes in the plot, but overall i thought it was pretty enjoyable if you dont take it too seriously.
I just finished "Prey" by michael chrichton, i thought it was pretty good. His technical detail and background research always make his books very enjoyable to read, for me.

Anyway, i recently bought all these books, will try to knock them off one by one:

havent gotten around to starting it yet, dark tower books are pretty special to me, i need to get into a certain mindset, so im waiting around to get in the mood.

1880418592.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

have heard a lot about this debut, how is it? bought it on a whim.

haddon-curious_incident.jpg

"Sixteen short novels: An anthology" , the short novel or novella is one of my favorite forms of literature and couldnt resist buying this when i saw it in a used bookstore.

Second and third books of the farseer trilogy. finished the first book a while ago, and got too busy too read, noticed these two at the used bookstore and instantly bought them.

arcroyala-usa.JPG

quest_us.jpg

read snow crash a while ago, and although i wasnt enamoured with it, i saw potential, so...

cryptonomicon.jpg

r.r. martin is a fantastic writer, and this collection of sci fi short stories from the 70s proves to me how underrated he really is.

11-9_cover-med.jpg

"The New Gothic: A Collection of Contemporary Gothic Fiction", another complilation, i delved into the world of fantasy through "legends" (previously posted by another poster, hedge knight is a fantastic story by the way) and discovered the wonderful worlds of "the dark tower" and "a song of ice and fire", so im hoping this collection will introduce some great contemporary gothic authors that im not familiar with.

FightyF

Banned
Currently, I'm reading this post.

I used to read a lot of books, but now since I've been reading stuff concerning programming and I get this info from the 'net. My research and reading have been strictly 'net only.

Burger

I tried Cryptonomicon ages ago, it's not that it's a hard read, and it's not that you don't learn alot, I just didn't find each chapter satisfying enough.

I should try again, although it's a bit of a tome.

I'm on the third book of the Wheel of Time series. I made it to number eight (I think) a long time ago and after a number of gifts, have all that are released up to this point. So now I'm rereading the whole series.

In between the books in that series, I like to read one or two other books. After this, I'll be reading The Count of Monte Cristo.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
r.r. martin is a fantastic writer, and this collection of sci fi short stories from the 70s proves to me how underrated he really is.

Try to find rretrospective if you can. Appears to be sold out at Subterranean Press, unfortunately. Have my copy though ;b

martin_bw.jpg

ManaByte

nitewulf said:
that's "I, Robot", there havent been any anouncements regarding a foundation movie to my knowledge.

I know that's I, Robot. I was making a joke as Fox also has the rights to Foundation...

0399151931.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Best military book since Black Hawk Down. Originally written as articles in Rolling Stone by the embedded author, it follows the First Recon Marine unit last March in Iraq.

=W=

I'm about to start Catch 22, then The Drawing of the Three (The Dark Tower II), then I'm gonna try these Song of Ice and Fire books you people are so keen on. I've also heard good things about those Wheel of Time books, so I may look into those if I have time.

And now you people have convinced me to get The Da Vinci Code.

maharg

idspispopd
020821_43.jpg

Unfortunately that's the best image I can come up with of the book cover of Not Wanted on the Voyage, which is a retelling of Noah's ark. Probably not for the religiously sensitive, as it is not .. pro-Noah or pro-God. Very good on its own though.

And more recently, I reread Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller, for which, once again, I can find no decent cover shot. Suffice to say that my copy's cover is much cooler than this one:
0822202905.01._PE_PIdp-schmooS,TopRight,7,-26_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

nitewulf

EviLore said:
Try to find rretrospective if you can. Appears to be sold out at Subterranean Press, unfortunately. Have my copy though ;b

wow, that sounds pretty good, just checked out amazon. both versions they have are expensive as hell though. i'll certainly keep an eye out for it though.

Mama Smurf

Is he underrated? I'm sure I remember hearing that at some point A Game of Thrones knocked LOTR off the top spot in some best fantasy list for the first time ever a while ago. Can't find a link though.

nitewulf

Mama Smurf said:
Is he underrated? I'm sure I remember hearing that at some point A Game of Thrones knocked LOTR off the top spot in some best fantasy list for the first time ever a while ago. Can't find a link though.

just as well, it should be at the top spot.
*ducks*

anyway, by underrated i meant that people usually just read or have heard of the "ASoIF" series. but he was writing sci fi stuff since the early 70's/late 60's and the writing is of a very high quality as well. so comparatively the rest of his work seems to be neglected.

carpal

0060523867.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

So far it's way better than Quicksilver. Some of the best pirate scenes ever! PIRATES! YARR. I dunno, I'm really beginning to appreciate what he's doing with the series. Looking forward to taking it on vacation. Might pick up Imajica and American Gods to take along as well.

White Man

Somebody intelligent give me the skinny on this George R. R. Martin guy. Can't say I follow much sci-fi/fantasy, but I sort of want to read some fantasy stuff that isn't Tolkien-style (or Jordan-style) dead boring.

What's Georgie's big thing?

nitewulf

White Man said:
Somebody intelligent give me the skinny on this George R. R. Martin guy. Can't say I follow much sci-fi/fantasy, but I sort of want to read some fantasy stuff that isn't Tolkien-style (or Jordan-style) dead boring.

What's Georgie's big thing?

realism. his ice and fire novels read like an epic historical drama. lots of high drama, political intrigue, witty dialogue, sex, murder, bloodshed, idealism, love, hope. there is no sugar coating of inherent human greed and ambition, for one thing, which is why i like it a lot. but there are also extremely humane characters alongside the ruthless and ambitious ones.
he tells it like it is, and it reads like something out of our own history, sans the supernatural stuff. and he introduces the supernatural stuff in a subtle way, so it all seems very plausible.

I'm reading Dune for the first time right now, and so far I'm liking it a lot. I can't wait till I get to the part where Paul fights Sting!

As for George R. R. Martin's stuff, I enjoy it because he keeps things moving at a really brisk pace. I read all the books a couple years ago so I don't remember things completely, but I don't recall ever feeling like the story dragged at any point during the first three novels. Since pretty much every chapter has something new and exciting (and often times violent) happening, it makes for a very fun read.

SickBoy

nitewulf said:
have heard a lot about this debut, how is it? bought it on a whim.

haddon-curious_incident.jpg

It's quite good, IMO. I was drawn in by the premise, and I think it lived up to its potential pretty well.

It's the last book I read. In between stuff right now, but I may pick up "The Idiot" or "Glue," by Irvine Welsh. I might have some other books I've bought but haven't opened up, but I think those two top my list right now.

May open up the LOTR trilogy or something as well.

-SB

Top Bottom