• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where do you go for game reviews?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daMandus

I haven't looked into it enough to have an opinion on my own yet, but GameCritics.com seems interesting. Or am I misled by their "attitude"?

Online resources are prefered.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Just hang around here until sombody posts the IGN/Gamespot scores and then everybody starts to deconstruct the reviews.

jedimike

I usually wait until someone on GA gives impressions, but as far as actual reviews go I like two mags... GMR and XBN.

Their editors frequent GA, so you can ask them questions about their reviews.

Soul4ger

jedimike said:
I usually wait until someone on GA gives impressions, but as far as actual reviews go I like two mags... GMR and XBN.

Their editors frequent GA, so you can ask them questions about their reviews.

Or berate them for not giving a game the score you think it deserves!

jedimike

Soul4ger said:
Or berate them for not giving a game the score you think it deserves!

I know you're not talking about me! If anything, I'm usually the one bitching about people who bitch about review scores.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I use gamerankings or metacritics (I like that they have excerpts) as my review portals.

I like Gamecritics ok, mostly for their news round-up, but their reviews are wildly inconsistent to me. I did just pick up a super cheap copy of Kya based on one of their reviews.

Kalren

www.gamerankings.com

I usually look at a couple of positive reviews as well as a couple of negative review and try to get a rounded view of what's hype and what's good.

But some games I'll just purchase for the heck of it...

Soul4ger

jedimike said:
I know you're not talking about me! If anything, I'm usually the one bitching about people who bitch about review scores.

No, sir, not about you. Just a general statement.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Wario64 said:

haha, the funny thing about gamefaqs is if a game gets bad reviews there...you know it's beyond the pale. People pump up any and all titles there for a few days (and longer if it's somehow relevant to the "cause").

"Brute Force is better than Halo!" "Primal is an underappreciated adventure masterpiece!" "Four Swords is as good as Link to the Past!"

BuddyChrist83 said:
ebgames.com user reviews > you

IAWTP

Personally, I don't read reviews unless I am totally on the fence about a title and it's not a game many have played. In that case I'll go to GR and see what has been said about it and make a decision, but that rarely happens. Majority of the time I ever read a review is for "impressions" not what someone thinks about it.

etiolate

Banned
Sadly, nowhere anymore. What I really do is monitor multiple reviews and impressions and based on what certain people say I can get a good idea. If certain GAF posters love a game then thats an immediate red flag against the game, as well as for some reviewers like Kasavin that I know have assbackwards sensibilities.

I like reading reviews in magazines (GMR, EGM, sometimes OPM) as entertainment. If I'm specifically searching out a review for game x I'll goto gamerankings.com, look at the scores, then click a link to reputable sites like IGN or Gamespot. I'll also goto GameFAQs for the hell of it.

hobbitx

I just google the name of whatever game I'm interested in plus the word "review" and skim over all the different reviews for one good general opinion, I've never been steered wrong since.

I don't know how good their newer reviews are, but I absolutely love Gamerevolution when it comes to classic reviews, Games Domain used to totally rock for old and new stuff and were my favorite out of all of them until yahoo totally raped that site.

Virex

Abrasive, but well-meaning
I don't bother with reviews too much. There are too many good games that get bad review scores because the reviewers are shit. But I do enjoy watch ACG and Easy Allies reviews for a quick look at the game. But I don't really let it influence my purchases

BlackTron

I clicked on one of the links from earlier in the thread and was redirected to an ecommerce site.

This thread is 15 years old! Epic bump.

But anyway I like to get impressions from forums while still taking a peek at aggregate sites like Metacritic just to see how internet culture is treating a particular game or movie.

Last edited:

Digity

Don’t read reviews. Simply watch a trailer, some gameplay, more then enough to make a discussion.

Elektro Demon

Shits and Giggles
I mostly watch video reviews from Easy Allies, Gamespot and Ign for the lulz.
As for written reviews, Eurogamer and Pcgamer.

brian0057

If a game is blowtorched by both Polygon and Kotaku? That's a must buy.
I wish the long lost art of the demo were still around.

GreyHorace

I always liked the reviews that Brandon Jones and company did for Gametrailers. Now they're the Easy Allies, and they're still consistently good.

ACG is also pretty good. Other than that, none. I've become really distrustful of gaming news as of late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom