• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which abandoned Capcom Franchise would you like brought back?

Which series or game by Capcom should they bring back?

• Total voters
Capcom has created many different franchises over its history, some doing well and a lot not doing so well. However they have a goldmine of IPS to dig through. Here are just SOME of the games fans have been waiting for sequels in:
  1. Star Gladiator
  2. Strider
  3. DarkStalkers
  4. Rival Schools
  5. Power Stone
  6. Breath of Fire
  7. Dino Crisis
  8. Onimusha
  9. Viewtiful Joe
And much more. So with that being said, which Capcom Game series (or individual game) would you like to see Capcom Return to? (Be sure to vote other in the poll and mention the game in post if your favorite is not an option)

Imo, I think they have basically done a poor job on Strider, it's a fast action game based on futuristic Ninja combat. Never made a 3D game, never really gave it high polished treatment in a 2D game, it's kind of amazing how poorly they handled this series. I'd like to see them go back to it. For every game on the list Capcom probably has shat on Strider the most.

Breath of Fire 3 and IV were big improvements from the first two games and could have helped make the series big but they never took them seriously enough and they didn't break into even the Japanese consciousness that well let alone outside of Japan. once V came out the series was effectively dead.

Dino Crisis is a great take and a contrast to the similar Resident Evil. Having a modern Dinosaur game with HD graphics and 4K textures would be fantastic imo.

Star Gladiator was a fresh idea for a fighting game with a focus on a space sci-fi theme. Sci-fi is really popular right now as a theme and a futuristic fighting game with a cool single player and original MP could do well.

DonF

DINO CRISIS

It was so obvious! Capcom missed the Jurassic Park, Jumanji, Rampage, Godzilla fad.

NahaNago

How do you forget mega man legends? I originally wanted Onimusha but the way the characters look in the new dmc game kinda keeps me from wanting it.

How do you forget mega man legends? I originally wanted Onimusha but the way the characters look in the new dmc game kinda keeps me from wanting it.

Because it's Mega Man and Mega Man just got a game. The IP is the same. That would be like me putting SF alpha in the poll.

GrayFoxRJ

Banned
I want Rival Schools 3, but i wish a lot of their series would come back

I wish they could remaster El Dorado Gate with all the chapters together and finally release it worldwide. It precedes the concept of Octopath Travelers somehow

Last edited:
hqdefault.jpg

SoulUnison

Banned
Capcom wasted a lot of potential by giving a definitive end to the Battle Network series.
They seem to have realized this almost immediately since they tried to "re-create" it with the Star Force series, but it was just so bland and derivative that the well was poisoned for good.

The series was absolutely built for the 3DS and its online/connectivity features, but it lived and died on the GameBoy Advance.

Zangiefy360

Banned
Tough choice, but ultimately chose Power Stone. Having a fun, easy to pick up fighter like Power Stone with today's online infrastructure would be a dream come true.

johntown

Banned
I vote for Strider. A proper and actually good remake.

Bionic Commando would be my number one choice but after many times trying they don't seem to get it right.

KiteGr

Star Gladiator:
Never heard of it.

Strider:
Not much they can do with the IP besides a Ninja gaiden rip-off. There's already a 2,5D recent game.

DarkStalkers:
Universal monsters aren't as popular anymore. They could ether make it more animeish like Guilty Gear, or make it more realistic like Killer Instinct. Regardless, it needs some reinvention.

Rival Schools:
Nether visual novels, nor cross school vendettas click with non-anime watchers. Also Sony's recent policies will butcher what little fanservice this game had.

Power Stone:
Awesome game. And Smash Bros needs some competition. It must be done right however, with a less childish art style.

Breath of Fire:
Huge potential if done right! To bad capcom no longer deals in Jrpg.

Dino Crisis:
Decent potential if they follow the first game's formula, and keep the science fiction to the absolutely necessary.

Onimusha:
Not sure about this one. It can get easily lost in translation, and if you take the prerendered backgrounds out, it's just anothe hack n slash game.

Viewtiful Joe:
Only if they reinvent it in some way.

Okami:
Huge potential! To bad the devs have left the company.

Clock tower:
Huge potential for a horror chace game!

Last edited:

16bitjeff

Neo Member
I know this has been stated to death from Ono/Capcom Exes. & the fans but come on Capcom, put SF on the backburner for the time being a revive both DarkStalkers (via collab w/ ArcSys as main dev) & Rival Scholls w/ Itsuno as project lead/built in-house at Capcom Dev 1.

Last edited:
Star Gladiator:
Never heard of it.

Strider:
Not much they can do with the IP besides a Ninja gaiden rip-off. There's already a 2,5D recent game.

DarkStalkers:
Universal monsters aren't as popular anymore. They couldn't ether make it more animeish like Guilty Gear, or make it more realistic like Killer Instinct. Regardless, it needs some reinvention.

Rival Schools:
Nether visual novels, nor cross school vendettas click with non-anime watchers. Also Sony's recent policies will butcher what little fanservice this game had.

Power Stone:
Awesome game. And Smash Bros needs some competition. It must be done right however, with a less childish art style.

Breath of Fire:
Huge potential if done right! To bad capcom no longer deals in Jrpg.

Dino Crisis:
Decent potential if they follow the first game's formula, and keep the science fiction to the absolutely necessary.

Onimusha:
Not sure about this one. I can get easily lost in translation, and if you take the prerendered backgrounds out, it's just anothe hack n slash game.

Viewtiful Joe:
Only if they reinvent it in some way.

Okami:
Huge potential! To bad the devs have left the company.

Clock tower:
Huge potential for a horror chace game!

Clock Tower is owned by Sunsoft not Capcom.

Also Strider plays nothing like NG.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Strider got a game in 2014, it could get another. I liked it a lot, gameplay was fun and satisfying even if it showed that the game as a whole had a relatively limited scope since its inception. It was good.

Last edited:

Belmonte

It is easier to say which franchise I don't want them to brought back! Capcom has a colossal collection of classics. Only Nintendo can rival them IMO.

If I need to say one, I say GOD HAND! Let me Kung-Fu Samba again, Capcom!

But there are lots of games I want: Final Fight, Dino Crisis, Sweet Home, Dragon's Dogma, Megaman X, Strider, Breath of Fire, Power Stone, Captain Commando, Capcom vs SNK, Ghouls n' Goblins, Pocket Fighters...

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Other (Name Series/game in Post):

GIGAWANG

I'll take a new one, or ports of the first three (I really only care about the numbered ones, though). Takumi please come back! Why do I like Giga Wing? Because bullet-cancelling shmups are always fun, without exception! Giga Wing is one of the best: wait for your Reflect to charge up, then RAM THE ENEMY BULLETS TO SEND THEM FLYING BACK. It's so much fun! :messenger_smiling_hearts:

(every time the robot says OH-TAY, the reflect has recharged)

I'd settle for Progear. That's another good shmup that never got a home release.

I'd also settle for another Cyberbots. I really wish they gave us a sequel with an expanded list of attacks.

gioGAF

Other: Demon's Crest

I don't understand why the games industry hasn't figured out that it would be a great deal of fun to be the monster (or a creature other than a humanoid).

KiteGr

Clock Tower is owned by Sunsoft not Capcom.

Also Strider plays nothing like NG.
Yeah.
I did play Haunting Ground, but while it was very good, it wasn't franchise material. They would need the IP back.

As for strider, I'm trying to come up with ways to revive it without doing it 2d, as they tryed it and didn't work.

Yeah.
I did play Haunting Ground, but while it was very good, it wasn't franchise material. They would need the IP back.

As for strider, I'm trying to come up with ways to revive it without doing it 2d, as they tryed it and didn't work.

Huh? There's not a single Strider game in 3D.

Strider got a game in 2014, it could get another. I liked it a lot, gameplay was fun and satisfying even if it showed that the game as a whole had a relatively limited scope since its inception. It was good.

4 years ago is still a good amount of time. Right near the release of the last darkstalkers.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
4 years ago is still a good amount of time. Right near the release of the last darkstalkers.
Except in Darkstalkers case it was just a collection of games from the 90s.

4 years is far from enough to call a franchise dead, sometimes it takes that long to even make a game these days (not that I think they've been making one for Strider).

4 years is basically current-gen time frame, even if it also released on last gen systems.

Last edited:
Except in Darkstalkers case it was just a collection of games from the 90s.

4 years is far from enough to call a franchise dead, sometimes it takes that long to even make a game these days (not that I think they've been making one for Strider).

4 years is basically current-gen time frame, even if it also released on last gen systems.

DS is not even the only game that ended around 2014.

molasar

Banned
Dino Crisis (1+2) in the style of RE2Remake.
Final Fight with Street Fighter Alpha or Street Fighter 3 series aesthetics and deep gameplay mechanics in the style of Alien vs Predator arcade game.

Last edited:

Fbh

I think I've said it in another thread but I'd be all over a modern Breath of Fire with an HD version of this art style:
e518e82d52cea3ef03c09af6d1dfd8ab.gif

And obviously Dragon Dogma but I don't know if that's old enough for this thread

GrayFoxRJ

Banned
Someone should tweet Capcom Japan about these requests

for example: エルドラドゲートシリーズ for Nintendo Switch してください !!!

Top Bottom