• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which of Michael Jacksons top 5 hits do you like the most?

Which of MJ's top 5 popular tracks do you liked best?

• Total voters

Xenon

Speaking of Michael and hits Norm Macdonald goes brutal on Jackson

Last edited:
Thriller is still a 10/10 album and Bad is a 9/10 album.

MJ did some whack shit but he's no where near as bad as people like R. Kelly.

Smooth Criminal is potentially the best music video ever.

Beat It was always my fav MJ song.
Nowadays I feel kinda wrong for liking his music. I dont know if he is guilty, but he seems weird enough that I wouldnt be surprised at all, if he was..

Nowadays I feel kinda wrong for liking his music. I dont know if he is guilty, but he seems weird enough that I wouldnt be surprised at all, if he was..
Gotta separate the art from the artist.

I haven't seen the documentary yet, but my gut tells me it's no more or less believable than the slander against MJ during all the years before it.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Off the Wall is his best record imo, it’s a master class in R&B/pop. His vocals were also at their peak.

my fave too. that analog late 70's funk production is just so heavenly.

tbh all these songs rule. i have had awesome nights on the dance floor to all this music. the music will always be a part of pop history.

Smooth Criminal is potentially the best music video ever.

ya and the film it is from, Moonwalker, is an awesome 80s Spielberg-style sci fi fantasy rock n roll movie. i love the crazy montage they do in the beginning:

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I don't care how corny it sounds, Earth Song might still be my favorite one. Even Man in the Mirror is something I'd put above the poll choices, personally.

But of the choices, I guess I'll go with Billie Jean. I don't really even like Thriller at all.

Airola

It's either Thriller or Smooth Criminal.
Right now I think it's Smooth Criminal.

Here's my full list:
1) Smooth Criminal
2) Thriller
3) Billie Jean
4) Off the Wall
5) Rock with You

I would but Can't Help It over both Rock with You and Off the Wall.
I would even say that from Off the Wall at least Can't Help It, Don't Stop Till You Get Enough and Workin' Day And Night are better songs than Rock with You and the title track (those are great songs too though).

Timing bro

Got to say I first lol'd seeing the topic, then lol'd seeing the snarky "now with the new documentary, people are listening to them even more" line and then lol'd at your reply :D

Ellis

Out of your list OP, Smooth Criminal.

My Top 5 however...

1) Leave Me Alone
2) Smooth Criminal
3) They Don't Care About Us
4) Beat It
5) Black or White

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
10/10 poll, huge Michael Jackson (besides the, you know) fan.
Billie Jean for me. Outside of his top hits, I'm also especially big on Speechless and Who Is It. Who Is It's for sure my #1 MJ track, heck I gotta listen to it now.

Alfen Dave

Off The Wall and Thriller are masterpieces, with OTW being his best achievement for me, with Invincile ranking in third for the great production value of that album.

-Off The Wall, Dont Stop Til, Rock With you, Get on The Floor, I cant help it and Sunset Driver are his best pieces from Off The Wall.
-Baby Be Mine, Human Nature, Starting Something, Hot Street are inmo his best work from Thriller

I think Beat it, Thriller and Billie Jean are mostly popular because of their respective video clips, not because of the musical composition itself, even though there great work of sounds!

Pejo

PYT is probably overall my favorite, but I voted Smooth Criminal since it wasn't on the list.

I also like the old J5 song "Blame it on the Boogie" better than the 5 listed.

Super Mario

Banned
He has lots of great songs. I agree with some of the mentions of what should be in the top 5, like beat it.

However, all lists that don't have Thriller at #1 are just wrong.

Such a tragedy to see what he became. He should still be with us. He should still be on tour.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Smooth Criminal and Billie Jean. They aren’t even my favorite. Dirty Diana is my #1 followed by Somebody is watching me

Last edited:

Lucumo

I don't care how corny it sounds, Earth Song might still be my favorite one.
Kinda funny how that one was MJ's first number one hit in Germany (out of two in total). The other one was "They Don't Care About Us" which is interesting too, considering it didn't reach the top spot in the other major countries.

pramod

Billie Jean is probably one of the greatest pop songs of all time, but I have a soft spot for Smooth Criminal.

As much as the man was almost certainly a pedo, he was also a musical genious. I can separate a person's art from their shitty character, the same way as I still love Kevin Spacey in the 1st two seasons of House of Cards.

Smooth Criminal, btw.

Airola

10/10 poll, huge Michael Jackson (besides the, you know) fan.
Billie Jean for me. Outside of his top hits, I'm also especially big on Speechless and Who Is It. Who Is It's for sure my #1 MJ track, heck I gotta listen to it now.

Who Is It is definitely one of MJ's best songs. At times it's on my top3 list. And I guess at times I've thought of it as his best songs.

I'm wondering what that Speechless song is. I know almost every MJ song by heart but have no idea what that is. Must be from the Invincible album which is something I never bought and I think I only listened once and haven't had any interest listening again. But now as you say Who Is It is his #1 track I'm really interested in taking a listen to Speechless too. Can't do it now but will check it out later.

I think Dangerous might be his best one. And Bad might be his second best.

You have great taste my friend. But you should also check out Invincible in its entirety. It has some pretty cool songs hidden in there. But it's also very bloated and has too many ballads. But it's still worth a listen. Production wise it was ahead of its time (like always with MJ records).

Speechless is a short and sappy ballad though, it's nothing like Who is It. So please don't get your hopes up.

VulcanRaven

My top 5 songs are:

1. Man in the Mirror
2. Billie Jean
3. Smooth Criminal
4. Give In To Me
5. Stranger in Moscow

Give In To Me has great music video too:

Last edited:

Nella

It's REALLY hard for me to a pick a favorite out of Thriller, Billie Jean and Smooth Criminal... I just can't, it's like asking a mother to choose her favorite child.

I voted Thriller. Shame on you for not allowing multiple vote options!

Top Bottom