• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who's Better? Prince or Micheal Jackson?

Prince vs. Micheal Jackson, who was better?

• Total voters

Tesseract

Banned
i've only listened to a handful of both, found mj more palatable

this is of course putting aside their personal lives

Last edited:

Rockondevil

Man both were so great however Prince is definitely far more talented. Can't go wrong if you're listening to either though.

SpiceRacz

Prince is infinitely more talented than MJ. As a singer, musician, lyricist, composer. His catalogue of music is also much, much more diverse. As a live act, he was second to none.

Fnord

I heard he was proficient in over 25 instruments.

And he got awesome women.

I remember an article in Spin magazine back when the first New Power Generation album was released. The author asked one of the band members what it was like to play in a band fronted by Prince. Dude said it was great, but incredibly intimidating, because if you screwed something up, Prince would come over and play it right on your instrument - regardless of what instrument you played.

lil puff

Prince is infinitely more talented than MJ. As a singer, musician, lyricist, composer. His catalogue of music is also much, much more diverse. As a live act, he was second to none.
I would agree with everything here, but I think MJ had a better voice. Very dynamic and a ton of range and emotion. MJ was a better dancer and had more stage presence.

I'd say though, it's an injustice to both of them to compare.

Prince was more talented easy but Prince's albums are all over the place, one album can have like 3 10/10 tracks and the rest are 4/10s.

Honestly gonna have to go with MJ, without Quincy Jones MJ would not have half the legacy he does though NGL.

Prince = Better musician
MJ = Better songs, singer and videos

Winner = MJ

Prince = Hot women
MJ = Little kids

.............. I change my mind. Prince wins.

Prince hands down. It's not even a contest. I say that as someone who enjoys mj's music too.

Prince was the man. Just thinking about some of the hits has me wanting to create something my damn self. Such a creative and inspirational artist.

MetalAlien

Banned
Whole song is good but man when he just goes off into his own world at 3:50 until the end of the song.... I feel like this is the song that angels are going to play during the rapture!

Last edited:

MastAndo

Prince was the better musician by a mile, but MJ had the better catalog of music.

Last edited:

lil puff

Prince was more talented easy but Prince's albums are all over the place, one album can have like 3 10/10 tracks and the rest are 4/10s.

Honestly gonna have to go with MJ, without Quincy Jones MJ would not have half the legacy he does though NGL.
and Bruce Swedian and all the people that wrote MJs songs.

MJ had a lot of people working with him, whereas Prince seemed to want to do a lot of his own stuff.

It feels like comparing chocolate and cheese. Like why even compare?

For me part of what makes Prince great is his musical diversity. I enjoy his experimentation and exploration musically. It's not all cookie-cutter "singles".

Edit: Another side note about Prince. I remember reading about him - can't remember where now - but he expressed that he created a whole persona for his public image and that he felt like he had to do it. He also mentioned something to the effect that no one will ever know him, who he really is. I remember coming away with the feeling that he was an incredibly private person at heart. There was also some anecdote about him mostly hanging out by himself watching at parties he apparently hosted because it's just part of his "job".

Last edited:

lil puff

For me part of what makes Prince great is his musical diversity. I enjoy his experimentation and exploration musically. It's not all cookie-cutter "singles".

Edit: Another side note about Prince. I remember reading about him - can't remember where now - but he expressed that he created a whole persona for his public image and that he felt like he had to do it. He also mentioned something to the effect that no one will ever know him, who he really is. I remember coming away with the feeling that he was an incredibly private person at heart. There was also some anecdote about him mostly hanging out by himself watching at parties he apparently hosted because it's just part of his "job".
Yeah. There was a mysterious quality about Prince that was a big part of his charm.

I thought his movies helped make him more accessible, and brought a lot of his actual personality out.

You guys have made me want to pull out some old Prince music again. It does not get played nearly enough as MJ.

Yeah. There was a mysterious quality about Prince that was a big part of his charm.

I thought his movies helped make him more accessible, and brought a lot of his actual personality out.

You guys have made me want to pull out some old Prince music again. It does not get played nearly enough as MJ.

There was always a weird disconnect for me with him and his roots. Prince...Prince is from the Midwest, from Minne-freaking-sota, lol. He seems like he should come from some exotic locale, maybe even an extraterrestrial place. :p

lil puff

There was always a weird disconnect for me with him and his roots. Prince...Prince is from the Midwest, from Minne-freaking-sota, lol. He seems like he should come from some exotic locale, maybe even an extraterrestrial place. :p
Very True LOL.

Isn't Snoop Dog from Minnesota too, or some Midwestern state. A lot of younger people think he is actually from LA.

Prince gets me laid in at least once in each the last three decades of my life. MJ only gets me laid in the first.

eh heh heh heeee

Top Bottom