• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are you people so amazed by this stupid Street Fighter video?

FightyF

Banned
Bruce Vilanch said:
pwned3.gif

It just looks like the guy is kneeling and blocking.. What's so hard about that?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

AAAAAAAAAA-HAHAHAHAhaAHAHahAAHAAHAHH!!!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I'm assuming he hasn't watched the video yet...even if you're not a fan of fighting games, you can't deny that the video is fucking awesome

Wario64 said:
I'm assuming he hasn't watched the video yet...even if you're not a fan of fighting games, you can't deny that the video is fucking awesome

No, I had watched the video... It's just that it looked like all he was doing was kneeling and blocking (I didn't pay attention to the health bars)... Now that this entire concept of parrying has been explained to me, however, I suppose I can appreciate what he does a bit more.

belgurdo

Banned
Take fifty cents, run down to any up-to-date arcade that has Third Strike in it, and then learn/find out for yourself why parrying is such a big deal

ge-man

I have much respect for Daigo. I have a hard enough time parrying extremely slow ass moves. But to parry Chun Li's thunder kicks with almost nothing left in his health bar--I'm speechless. I feel totally ashamed of my skills as a long time fan of Street Fighter.

BuddyC

I must've spent 10 minutes watching that video in awe last night.

"Oh hey, it's that SF3 video, guess I'll watch it real quick before bed."

"...holy shit."

Ahh, my friend and I were playing 3s last night for PS2, Ken vs Dudley. I did crouching forward XX shippu and he somehow parried the forward and the entire super (i guess its easier to parry compared to dc because theres no input lag) and before the last hit of shippu he did an ex cross-counter and made me cry.

Then we went to save the replay and my card was full so i cried tears of anger.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Makura said:
What console version of SF3 would you guys reccomend the most?

PS2 version for now, and Xbox also whenever it is released. The PS2 port (and the Xbox port, I'm sure) is closer to the arcade version, looks better, and has a few extra options. Time to retire the DC. :(

lol...pretty funny "I saw a small animated gif and never saw the video of a game I don't know anything about so I can easily say it's no big deal."

Great Wasabi Man said:
lol...pretty funny "I saw a small animated gif and never saw the video of a game I don't know anything about so I can easily say it's no big deal."

Exactly.

I've played SF3 since it came out for the DC off and on, and I still can't pull off a parry 99% of the time. :(

Hey, I never said I was good.

I think it was 5 E3s ago when Capcom had a SF Alpha 3 competition and I watched some of the action. I had been a pretty decent SF player from SF2 to SF Alpha 2 and as I watched those guys I gained loads of respect for their play but even more for the game itself. They were playing at a level I didn't even know existed and the game supported it.

Lisa Lashes said:
That was insane. Was that Street Fighter Alpha 3?

P.S. I wonder how many virgins were in that crowd.
probably not many... a common byproduct of being a hardcore fighting game player is meeting "arcade ho's"...

Holy shit. I remember the old days when I would post at shoryuken.com...shit. He individually parried every kick with like no life remaining, then comboed her ass. Insane.

I can't wait to play this on the Xbox.

The reason I never got really into this game was because of the damned DC controller.
I even dislike PS2's D-pad, because doing a shoryuken takes so much more effort than it should.

But I played Capcom vs SNK 2 EO for GC (didn't used to have an xbox) with the HORI SNES controller with the phat d-pad and I loved to practice parry on A-groove, so precise and everything. But I guess you get used to the DC pad, I never got it though.

The other reason is, I just CANNOT play the arcade version. I have such a hard time with the joystick it's not even funny.

But I'll be happy with Xbox's S-type controller (although I would prefer playing with the Hori pads).

Is anyone else here really good at the console version but sucks major with the arcade stick? It's often the case with my DC-owning friends.

Also, I saw this other super kickass 3rd Strike movie. It was Dudley vs Necro, I dont know who the players were, but Dudley left himself get a beating at the beginning. Then, (alot like this movie) when he only had a sliver left, Necro used his Electric Super Combo which is like 5 hits per second, almost humanly impossible to press the forward button that fast in order to parry. But he parried the whole thing, then let loose a long string of normal+combo moves which necro could not recover from the whole time. He then ended with a 3rd level Screw attack. At that point necro only had a sliver of health left as he hit the ground and as he was getting up, Dudley backed off a bit and did his taunt where he throws a rose in a looping arch towards the opponament. The rose takes very very little health (it is a taunt after all), but it was enough to finish off Necro in what has to be the most impressive KO I've ever seen.

It was like the best movie ever, so much style and grace. And the way Dudley finished him off was so embarassing and cool. Especially considering Dudley as a pompous character.

I'm going to try to majorily hone my skills when the Xbox version releases.

Ferrio

Banned
It was like the best movie ever, so much style and grace. And the way Dudley finished him off was so embarassing and cool. Especially considering Dudley as a pompous character.

Parrying a rose is a bad idea usually, dudley players just wait for it. So they can counter attack.

Ferrio

Banned
Date of Lies said:
Well, the rose was what killed him, not any following hits.

Well he either.

1. Blocked the rose and died.

2. Parry the rose, and get slaughtered by dudley.

Shouta

Yeah, you either block the rose or get eaten up by Dudley. You can parry both the rose and the attack if the execution is slow but that doesn't happen often with the better dudley players.

Chrono

Banned
Lyte Edge said:
PS2 version for now, and Xbox also whenever it is released. The PS2 port (and the Xbox port, I'm sure) is closer to the arcade version, looks better, and has a few extra options. Time to retire the DC. :(

I have not played Street Fighter since the PSX days, so I looked up all street fighter games on the PS2 to order whichever has the highest rating... The only one I found was this one that got a rating of 5.0: Link

Am I missing something? There must be some kick-ass Street Fighter 2d action on the PS2.. :(

Ferrio

Banned
Chrono said:
I have not played Street Fighter since the PSX days, so I looked up all street fighter games on the PS2 to order whichever has the highest rating... The only one I found was this one that got a rating of 5.0: Link

Am I missing something? There must be some kick-ass Street Fighter 2d action on the PS2.. :(

Only decent street fighter game right now on PS2 is Capcom VS SNK 2. Other than that you'll have to wait for Street Fighter Anniversary which includes SF2 games and SF3:3rd strike.

robojimbo

The Faceless Master said:
that's the most fucked up part of the whole video...

HE DID IT ON PURPOSE

Daigo orchestrated the whole thing by first losing alot of energy... then you can see where the video starts, he rushes down Justin to take off just enough energy from Justin... then he backs off and baits... Justin tries to throw him off by random attacking before doing the super... doesn't work out so well for Justin...
If you are implying he lost the energy on purpose, I hope you are joking. Why the fuck would anyone want to have to work that hard and risk so much just to look flashy? If Diago could have kept J.Wong in that corner the entire time, he would have done so. J.Wong escapes the corner mixup and beings to zone, attempts to bait Diago into attacking, goes for the super and get's shown up. That's all there is to it. I'm sure Diago was expecting the super (as he should have been considering the risk), but there is no way he planned on ending it like that. The "random attacks" are J.Wong zoning Diago. Thanks to Chun Li's ridiculous priority, anything he would have thrown at that point had a good chance of at least trading hits, resulting in a loss for Diago.

The most impressive part of the video is not that he parries the super (though you have to see J.Wong's reaction as soon as he start the sequence! Mashing will not save you!), it's that he comes back with the combo at the end and wins the round. Notice the increased intensity of people yelling when he starts the combo. The fact that he HAD to parry the super and it was the FINALS adds to it. That was just too perfect.

What I want to know is, why do people feel the need to answer a question that has already been answered, exactly the same as the original answer. That's even more lame as someone mistunderstanding a game and asking a question.

What's even worse is so many people felt the need to make fun of him, before someone bothered to explain to him why people are impressed with the video.

XS+

Banned
The thread starter introduced the insulting tone in this thread by dismissing one of the nicer fighting game finishes recorded on video as "stupid."

XS+ said:
The thread starter introduced the insults in this thread by dismissing one of the nicer fighting game finishes recorded on video as "stupid."

Where do you see this? All I see is him not understanding what's so impressive about it. I don't see him inciting flames until later on after people have already laughed at him.

Vlad

DarthWufei said:
Where do you see this? All I see is him not understanding what's so impressive about it. I don't see him inciting flames until later on after people have already laughed at him.

Well, for one, look at the thread title. Doesn't exactly start him off on the right foot. Then, all of three posts into the thread, he replies with:

I don't know much about the game.

And I'm pretty sure he's just blocking.

I'm believe that the last comment is what started all the flaming, and deservedly so.

Vlad said:
Well, for one, look at the thread title. Doesn't exactly start him off on the right foot. Then, all of three posts into the thread, he replies with:

I'm believe that the last comment is what started all the flaming, and deservedly so.

Haha, I don't see how I overlooked the thread title, my mistake. :p

But I don't think that comment was where the flames should have started, if we ignore the topic title. I was talking about the post in which after being explained to he asks the question again about people making a big fuss over it.

Touche anyways, I still can't belive I missed that.

Top Bottom