• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why gamers complain about their games being taken away |OT| Censorship Controversy Central

CatCouch

It's very clear the west, mainly the US, is in a very low tolerance point for sexy content. It will turn around at some point because trying to censor art never sticks. Look how much more violent games are now. It wasn't even a decade ago when selling violent games was a hot button, supreme court level issue.

It makes me wonder when the backlash will really start. It's a bit difficult to sell sexy art as an independent artist (thanks to payment processors being absurdly strict on even nipples in art) and it's clear that indie and more niche Japanese game devs are getting hassled around but mostly just from Sony. The issue is getting worse, though, so I suspect there will be a boiling point. The more you tell people they can't have something, the more they want it. The more you restrict people's freedom, especially if it's something they already had, the more tension and anger there will be.

As for Senran Kagura? That needs to get off the PlayStation, like, yesterday, lol. Maybe there's contracts for having these games on the PS4 so producer Kenichiro is being overly cautious with his words. Maybe translations don't capture the nuance. There could be many reasons why this series is seemingly going the censorship route now but in the end it doesn't matter; my interest in the series has plummeted.

I'll be buying Moero Chronicle Hyper. Compile Heart shows you can release sexy art on the Switch and the ESRB (hopefully) doesn't take issue. There is no definitive "world change". There is no law preventing bouncing boobs from being in a game. It may be confusing to see what can and can't be sold but when it comes to games (the ESRB allows for a lot more than Sony does and Steam can sell unrated, adult games just fine) but I just can't stick around for games that bend to the will of censors and abandon their fan base.

PSFan

It's very clear the west, mainly the US, is in a very low tolerance point for sexy content. It will turn around at some point because trying to censor art never sticks. Look how much more violent games are now. It wasn't even a decade ago when selling violent games was a hot button, supreme court level issue.

Not really. It seems like it's Sony and a bunch of crazy leftist/SJWs that have the low tolerance point. The same content that is censored on PS4, is uncensored on other platforms like PC and Switch so that proves your statement is wrong.

Claus Grimhildyr

Vincit qui se vincit
Not really. It seems like it's Sony and a bunch of crazy leftist/SJWs that have the low tolerance point. The same content that is censored on PS4, is uncensored on other platforms like PC and Switch so that proves your statement is wrong.

PC you can release almost any game with little issue through your own web stores or through places like Epic, Steam, or the numerous AO Hentai stores if need be. Nintendo's HQ isn't located in the US as Nintendo of America doesn't have final say - they are just a branch of the core Nintendo company.

Sony on the other hand has its headquarters located within California and it has forced japanese developers to give reports in English.

CatCouch

There's more than just games that have issues with sexy art. I've had a lot of trouble with my own art over the last year. Sites I sell and post on have become very sensitive to sexy stuff and some just ban it and drop people now. I've had art deleted from Deviant Art for the first time in all the years I've been there. You know what Tumblr did. ArtStation had it's mobile app pulled down from Google Play due to pin-up art. Patreon is the only donation site that kept the sexy and nude art from what I can see but they had to move payment processing overseas. Ko-Fi, another donation site, banned nudity (and some violence) and even something called "implied nudity". Ugh...

Yet, I can by manga with nudity on Amazon and games with full sex on Steam. It seems the bigger you are the more leeway you get with what you can sell. I assume it's just a phase. Companies want to distance themselves from anything they think will spark a mob and sexy art, particularly Japanese work, is under a lot of scrutiny now.

There's no laws stopping any of this but payment processors appear to stepping in and pressuring some sites to drop sexy art and other sites want safer spaces for ads. It's a big mess if you try to untangle it. I can see no one cause so it's probably not just SJW's or whatever you want to call them. Like violence before, sexy is the hot button issue of the day that everyone is over scrutinizing and panicking over.

PSFan

There's more than just games that have issues with sexy art. I've had a lot of trouble with my own art over the last year. Sites I sell and post on have become very sensitive to sexy stuff and some just ban it and drop people now. I've had art deleted from Deviant Art for the first time in all the years I've been there. You know what Tumblr did. ArtStation had it's mobile app pulled down from Google Play due to pin-up art. Patreon is the only donation site that kept the sexy and nude art from what I can see but they had to move payment processing overseas. Ko-Fi, another donation site, banned nudity (and some violence) and even something called "implied nudity". Ugh...

Yet, I can by manga with nudity on Amazon and games with full sex on Steam. It seems the bigger you are the more leeway you get with what you can sell. I assume it's just a phase. Companies want to distance themselves from anything they think will spark a mob and sexy art, particularly Japanese work, is under a lot of scrutiny now.

There's no laws stopping any of this but payment processors appear to stepping in and pressuring some sites to drop sexy art and other sites want safer spaces for ads. It's a big mess if you try to untangle it. I can see no one cause so it's probably not just SJW's or whatever you want to call them. Like violence before, sexy is the hot button issue of the day that everyone is over scrutinizing and panicking over.

Yeah, I know. I bet violent art is a-ok with them though.

It's a shame how much damage will be done until then.
Atlus USA is getting attacked over the more faithful translations recently more and more (something about tracking down when the direction changed and making a list of the people in charge to oust at resetera going on) and "localization" is becoming synonymous with "bad translation" or "censorship" (to the point all the "favorite localization" list at resetera is a list of games that had the "best cuts", as in the biggest and most pervasive)

There's quite a lot of reputation capital that's getting irreversibly damaged, which is a big shame. Branpesto and Namco Bandai Taiwan, and a lot of smaller budget Japanese developers starting to do their English translations locally instead of in the anglosphere, with the inevitable clunky English and limited Asia-only releases. Twitter SJWs are using all coverage of these games, even innocent funny blogs at the "legends of localization" website (whose main guy was attacked repeatedly while in his fan translation days or professional days for not censoring enough), to dunk on these translations and question their existence's validity, while we all know they wouldn't even pass an American studio (most are otome games, that the powers to be decided are offensive because they "perpetrate harmful tropes", despite the actual women target audience demand for them)

In other news, Super Real Mahjong VR was to get a rerelease on Switch this month, but got delayed.
It's an erotic game from the nineties from Saturn.

https://gematsu.com/2019/01/super-r...-delayed-to-unannounced-release-date-in-japan

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
https://gematsu.com/2019/02/senran-...econsidered-due-to-sexual-content-regulations

Relevant, I believe. Sorry if this was already posted.

In a new interview with Inside Games, Senran Kagura producer and Honey∞Parade Games president Kenichiro Takaki discussed the current status of the August 2017-announced PlayStation 4 title Senran Kagura 7EVEN.
“It seems the original idea we had imagined [for Senran Kagura 7EVEN] would be impossible to release,” Takaki said. “So we’re redoing, or rather reconsidering, everything about the game.”
This was part of a response to a question from the media regarding Takaki’s thoughts on Sony Interactive Entertainment’s strengthening regulations on the presentation of sexual content. Takaki said that this trend of regulations is not limited to PlayStation, but will spread around the world to affect every platform and genre. With this trend arriving sooner than expected, Takaki expressed his concern. “Right now, I’m really worried about what to do.”

Fuz

A crazy vocal minority dictating censorship in art. Amazing.

I've got curious to see your art. Link to your deviantart?

Last edited:
https://gematsu.com/2019/02/senran-...econsidered-due-to-sexual-content-regulations

Relevant, I believe. Sorry if this was already posted.

In a new interview with Inside Games, Senran Kagura producer and Honey∞Parade Games president Kenichiro Takaki discussed the current status of the August 2017-announced PlayStation 4 title Senran Kagura 7EVEN.
“It seems the original idea we had imagined [for Senran Kagura 7EVEN] would be impossible to release,” Takaki said. “So we’re redoing, or rather reconsidering, everything about the game.”
This was part of a response to a question from the media regarding Takaki’s thoughts on Sony Interactive Entertainment’s strengthening regulations on the presentation of sexual content. Takaki said that this trend of regulations is not limited to PlayStation, but will spread around the world to affect every platform and genre. With this trend arriving sooner than expected, Takaki expressed his concern. “Right now, I’m really worried about what to do.”
Takaki also has going PC-only in mind, though he has misunderstandings of the PC market:

"Asked if the increasing strictness of sexual depiction on PlayStation 4 might result in the series shifting mainly to PC, Takaki responded, “It is not impossible. Considering the genre and its niche nature, it would be tough to make the game only for PC. The PC has a lot of realistic shooters, so hmm… If we can do that we will, but a lot is uncertain right now.”

Honestly, with how well the Switch is doing in Japan, why not develop for both the Switch and PC?

Thiagosc777

Jaina Proudmoore's chest has been hidden in Hearthstone. The YouTuber theorizes about Blizzard censoring the game because of China, just like Rainbow Six Siege did a few months ago.

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
I was watching Elfen Lied after so many years and am really baffled by the difference between this and anime games. UK release gets a 15 age rating yet it contains:
Imaginary adult and underage nudity, strong violence, child exploitation by parents, animal abuse, violence against children and women etc

All this would have been banned even on Steam if it was a visual novel. It seems the cultural rift is too high for video games

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I was watching Elfen Lied after so many years and am really baffled by the difference between this and anime games. UK release gets a 15 age rating yet it contains:
Imaginary adult and underage nudity, strong violence, child exploitation by parents, animal abuse, violence against children and women etc

All this would have been banned even on Steam if it was a visual novel. It seems the cultural rift is too high for video games
Elfen Lied doesnt even compare to Shigurui.
5999224_f520.jpg

Mother 3 AFAIK is a dead end.
It was full steam ahead for a while but upon re-evaluation, there were aspects of the game that weren’t going to go without controversy.
According to Game Informer Senior Editor Imran Khan, from a resetera post. The mere admission is telling enough.

This is in reference to a rumored multilingual localization of the third game in the Mother/Earthbound series, planned for Nintendo's Virtual Console service on the Wii U (since it offered Game Boy Advance games). Nintendo of Europe would have reprogrammed the game with a new translation years after the 2006 version was passed on (also rumored to have been considered by NoE back then, again). The rumor is by Emily Rogers and Eurogamer, so take with a huge grain of salt.
In the end, the game was re-released as a once again Japan exclusive version on Wii U, though that version had some minor graphical fixes (palettes for a thunder graphical effect that had washed colors and missing detail was fixed), and the various Mother 3 teases amounted to nothing.

Even then, when the rumor was first covered, many posters there were celebrating an anticipated censorship pass to fix their personal grievances with the game (the Magypsies, Lucas' awakening, even a supposed blackface incident, and so many other things) and hoping it would replace once for all the fan-translation (whose author promised to pull if an official translation happened, and for which many "rewrites" by fans "fixing it up" in much of those same ways appeared and were bizarrely promoted on various sites like Kotaku)...
You can still see the same argument on resetera that they should censor it to hell and "no one would mind it", also coming up with much of the same list of "needed cuts" that keeps growing, considering Mother 3 isn't exactly supposed to be a lighthearted game (the drug trip island, and even oxygen machines which Nintendo didn't mind including in the NA release of A Kappa's Trail on DSiWare, where they had a cameo, because this is 2019), and wondering how come the Wii U Virtual Console version exclusive to Japan was allowed release without cuts and how unacceptable this is.

Whether this project was confirmed, whether this was Nintendo of America balking at the reception of their latest localization duds and trying to correct course, or NCL or even Itoi putting their feet down at the proposed changes... remains to be seen.
It's certainly a nice déjà-vu to see now mainstream CERO A rated role playing games starting to have their localizations scrapped in increasingly similar ways to the likes of Terranigma and Front Mission.

Last edited:

wzy

What games are Valve banning from Steam now?

Transparency matters a lot these days so I do not appreciate the way erotic or even sexy content is just left in limbo. I need answers on what I can and can't buy or sell as my money comes from adult art for the most part now.

Get some damn rules on the ages for characters or have a guideline for what kind of art is an issue. Make it clear what sexual content is okay and what isn't because if there is no line drawn I'm worried it will all be banned and we'll be back in pre-ESRB territory. I don't want the rating boards rendered moot due to platforms restricting themselves.

I seriously feel like having a nipple in a piece of entertainment will be illegal to sell soon. Crazy! I can post and view whatever I want on Twitter but I can't buy or sell a game with anime-like sex appeal?

Is there no protection for art anymore?

Valve doesn't give a shit about T&A. What they specifically do not want is any game that would encourage a user to play offline, hide their profile, or otherwise avoid the elements of Steam that are basically just a surveillance network. All the moronic, ludicrous things that Valve does with their store make perfect sense if you understand that their whole basic objective is to lock people not only into the ecosystem but into specific features of the ecosystem as well.

You're never gonna get hard and fast rules on this, because that gives away their power. What they want is for you to try and maybe succeed or maybe fail but either way you have to get used to submitting to random and arbitrary authority.

petran79

Banned
Elfen Lied doesnt even compare to Shigurui.

I had read the manga few years back. It has stronger violence and rape scenes but it does miss moe torture.
People take in such matters japanese games more seriously than anime, despite not featuring half the violence and nudity. Bunch of wimps

Just a bit of clarity about the DoA EVO issue, the stream on Twitch & YouTube ended about 12 minutes early; the content that didn't get broadcast was mostly a guy advertising Mouse computer products. All the sexy bits basically aired on the Twitch & YouTube videos.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Some people are having a meltdown over new developments in Catherine: Full Body so I wouldnt be surprised if some heavy reworking goes down with the western release.

Some people are having a meltdown over new developments in Catherine: Full Body so I wouldnt be surprised if some heavy reworking goes down with the western release.
This was an inevitability, thanks to the six month difference in release dates, as the game already had a built-in crowd waiting to pounce on any perceived slights against the LGBT community.

The ball's in ATLUS' court. If they do decide to rip up the game to please a certain vocal minority, hopefully they'll also have the decency to notify their potential consumers, prior to release.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Looks like the person who freaked about Catherine was misrepresenting it for the outrage. A line about Erica not being able to become a woman pro wrestler was removed though. Japan has started letting men wrestle in the women's promotions so the change might be due to that.

CatCouch

Atlus is trending on Twitter. I saw some tweets claiming Atlus causes trans people to die due to Catherine. I really, really wish conversations weren't stuck in social media. All that happens is people get angrier and angrier bouncing off each other. It's great to discuss the plot points of a game and how they could handle issues like trans characters in different cultures but arguing a game causes death and labeling Atlus' audience "Nazi's" is not helping anybody.

I'm not sure what to think of the game yet since I won't be able to play it for a long time. Maybe the writing sucks, maybe it doesn't. I liked Catherine a lot and I find Atlus games to be quite deep, though. Critiquing one character in a game shouldn't mean banning Atlus games from releasing in the west like some are claiming though. That's not rational debate.

For those interested, here's the ending in question: Video Link.

Considering the outrage is currently all emanating from the usual sources, the goal post has shifted to still being upset, because a certain character isn't being treated in a manner deemed acceptable to this particular audience. None of this matters, though, as there really was never any win-state for ATLUS on this topic.

Last edited:

Claus Grimhildyr

Vincit qui se vincit
Atlus is trending on Twitter. I saw some tweets claiming Atlus causes trans people to die due to Catherine. I really, really wish conversations weren't stuck in social media. All that happens is people get angrier and angrier bouncing off each other. It's great to discuss the plot points of a game and how they could handle issues like trans characters in different cultures but arguing a game causes death and labeling Atlus' audience "Nazi's" is not helping anybody.

I'm not sure what to think of the game yet since I won't be able to play it for a long time. Maybe the writing sucks, maybe it doesn't. I liked Catherine a lot and I find Atlus games to be quite deep, though. Critiquing one character in a game shouldn't mean banning Atlus games from releasing in the west like some are claiming though. That's not rational debate.

Lol, who the shit was killed because of Catherine? I keep seeing that in general. "[Thing I don't like] causes trans people to die!" Bullshit, name *one* fucking trans person that was killed because of a video game. They can't because it doesn't happen.

I really hope Atlus doesn't cave. I want to play this game, but I will avoid it like the plague if it receives unneeded censorship because of people who had no intention of buying the fucker in the first place.

For those interested, here's the ending in question: Video Link.

Considering the outrage is currently all emanating from the usual sources, the goal post has shifted to still being upset, because a certain character isn't being treated in a manner deemed acceptable to this particular audience. None of this matters, though, as there really was never any win-state for ATLUS on this topic.

I won't watch anything that may spoil the ending. Is it just a continuation of the Erica/Eric situation?

I'm wholly unfamiliar with Catherine. Can someone explain to me what the problem is? Near as I can tell, it appears that people are upset at how a trans character is being portrayed in the game? Is the portrayal really that egregious, or is this simply another case of all trans characters being landmines that should be avoided in all entertainment for all time lest it blow up in your face?

Last edited:

Claus Grimhildyr

Vincit qui se vincit
Yes, it's related to the Erica character.

Okay, I checked twitter and I see what the "issue" is. My god these people are fucking stupid. Half of these people I saw praising the FUCK outta Muv-Luv and Steins;Gate and they did the same exact thing.

The entire thing can be written off as "multiverse theory". It is a series about demons, succubi, and time travel. In one universe the characters are one thing. In another they are something else. No different than with Luka Urushibara in Steins;Gate or Yuroi Mikoto in Muv-Luv.

I'm wholly unfamiliar with Catherine. Can someone explain to me what the problem is? Near as I can tell, it appears that people are upset at how a trans character is being portrayed in the game? Is the portrayal really that egregious, or is this simply another case of all trans characters being landmines that should be avoided in all entertainment for all time lest it blow up in your face?

Basically what it boils down to is:

Erica, a trans female character in one universe is a male in another universe after Catherine goes back in time and tries to make everything "better". In this universe, Eric wasn't suffering from Gender Dysphoria that would have caused him to transition into Erica.

Maybe I am just overly tired atm, but good lord what a bunch of BS to be offended over.

The original Catherine features a transsexual character. Without trying to detail criticism I didn't care enough about to follow, some (particularly in Western audiences) weren't thrilled with certain elements of the character's story development. In this new remastered version of Catherine, similar individuals are unhappy with how the same character is portrayed in one of the game's endings.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Okay, I checked twitter and I see what the "issue" is. My god these people are fucking stupid. Half of these people I saw praising the FUCK outta Muv-Luv and Steins;Gate and they did the same exact thing.

The entire thing can be written off as "multiverse theory". It is a series about demons, succubi, and time travel. In one universe the characters are one thing. In another they are something else. No different than with Luka Urushibara in Steins;Gate or Yuroi Mikoto in Muv-Luv.

Basically what it boils down to is:

Erica, a trans female character in one universe is a male in another universe after Catherine goes back in time and tries to make everything "better". In this universe, Eric wasn't suffering from Gender Dysphoria that would have caused him to transition into Erica.

Maybe I am just overly tired atm, but good lord what a bunch of BS to be offended over.
These days people get offended over every fucking thing. If this game get censored over this petty BS I will really sad.

The people in question are looking to be offended, especially regarding this particular element of the game. The chances of ATLUS escaping unscathed were probably close to nil, with precedent from previous games suggesting this crowd would see the opportunity to raise their pitchforks and torches.

Last edited:

Claus Grimhildyr

Vincit qui se vincit
The people in question are looking to be offended, especially regarding this particular element of the game. The chances of ATLUS getting away unscathed were probably close to nil, with precedent from previous games suggesting this crowd would see the opportunity to raise their pitchforks and torches.

DzgXFWWX0AEe5OP.png

Found this as well in a twitter feed. Makes a good bit of sense too surrounding the issue. Didn't see it from this viewpoint and I guarantee you those dumb fucks over in crazyland didn't either.

Found this as well in a twitter feed.
The spoilery bit seems to have originated from the forum that dare not be named. Like I previously mentioned, the goal post in the related thread of comedy gold has shifted, with people still upset the character isn't handled in a manner they deem acceptable.

CatCouch

I think I'm going to stop reading the tweets. I see people talking about burning Atlus JP down. Is this stuff confirmed? Not the Erica stuff but other plot points that are popping up. Spoilers obviously:

Claus Grimhildyr

Vincit qui se vincit
I think I'm going to stop reading the tweets. I see people talking about burning Atlus JP down. Is this stuff confirmed? Not the Erica stuff but other plot points that are popping up. Spoilers obviously:

Vincent is not a nice guy. In the original release, he actively cheats on his SO and is punished by nightmare sequences where he has to climb a tower to survive, sometimes running from horrific monstrosities. That person is an imbecile who immediately assumes
that slapping someone who is trans is equal to transphobia and that vincent is trying to catch Rin to kill her.
That is not how that works.

Last edited:
The existence of these progressive radicals in the game community is, at this point, a known quantity in the Western sphere, and one hopes SEGA/ATLUS will stand by its product and didn't announce a release the company already planned to culturalize for foreign audiences.

Random Twitter people is one thing, but I do worry about the pressure that might be applied on Catherine: Fully Body, if certain media outlets decide to join the crusade. I also really hope social agenda doesn't dominate the narrative about this game, from now until its eventual release.

Last edited:

CatCouch

Vincent is not a nice guy. In the original release, he actively cheats on his SO and is punished by nightmare sequences where he has to climb a tower to survive, sometimes running from horrific monstrosities. That person is an imbecile who immediately assumes
that slapping someone who is trans is equal to transphobia and that vincent is trying to catch Rin to kill her.
That is not how that works.
I've played a lot of Atlus games and played Catherine quite a bit and the tone being described doesn't match up.

I don't think Full Body is intending to be hateful.

It feels like I'm listening to politicians in the 90's describe violent video games. They made violent games sound like they spawned from hell itself because they were looking to validate a narrative they already believed. This sounds like a case of seeing what you want to see but I have not played Full Body yet so I can't be certain.

Well, the director of the Yakuza series clearly stated that he will appeal to the core fans and not cater to female fans just because. I hope Atlus follows his example and stick to their guns.

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
So how are you supposed to fight back, guys? How are we supposed to convince both Atlus and the director to stick to his guns and release this version of his game uncensored in the West?

To fight back this censorship bullshit?

"Some people" being the resetera audience. You know, the forum that runs regular threads about how the best localizations are the ones that cut the most content. There are also threats against Atlus USA staff.

Resetera weren't big fans of Atlus USA ever since Persona 5 started a trend of more faithful localizations and dual audio (which they used to cut to hide over-edited English dialogue clashing too much with the Japanese audio, and in games like Growlanser 4 when they didn't get an English dub they unrooted the Japanese dub and voice acting programming itself entirely from the programming), and were regularly asking for demoting the new Japanese producers hired there, and replacing them with American recruits and specifically ones much more welcome to changes like Tokyo Mirage Sessions (which had a disastrous fan reception that's probably to thank for much of the changes in how Nintendo and Atlus did things ever since then)

The problematic content was three-folds.
Minor spoilers ahead.

• There's a MtF transgender character called Erica in the original version. Resetera considers the fact that this game not elevating this particular character to Mary Sue levels is problematic.

Specifically the fact that this game doesn't let Erica get ENOUGH sexual attraction and respect (in a game not respecting much of its cast) by everyone.
Or that Erica keeps getting dreams as a male (since the game's main theme is that the gods are punishing men for not procreating with women, which is one reason I find it hilarious that anyone at resetera has the gall the pull that card with the "betrayed Catherine mega-fan who will boycott Atlus from now on").
Or that Erica has regrets about the transition (which is a physical impossibilty of course).
Some of this content was actually cut in the Japanese remake, but they found it still not enough cuts.
They also think it's highly problematic the direct PC port of the original was not censored.

• That the remake adds alternate "what-if" endings that dare to offer alternate universes where Erica's gender transition isn't a universal constant. This is the current controversy.

• That the remake's JP version has too much fanservice content with 11 voice actresses dubbing Catherine, that they're thankful at whatever cuts Sony will have Atlus make, even hoping it, and that they are upset that it will cause an outrage. Some photos are already thought to be cut from the remake.

• That the remake adds a third love interest that has a deep secret Vincent is shocked at, because she discloses it only as they are about to have sex (which is usually a setup for some predatory individuals from a specific demographic, and one of resetera's main talking points is that the male partner should take it laying down and accept that lie and fully indulge the other party's sexual desires)...
Except she wasn't a MtF, but an outright alien.
Kotaku were drumming up anticipation outrage articles for this, but stopped.
But some at resetera are still trying to revive this controversy riding on the coattail of Erica's new controversy (the alternate ending) on the basis their initial gut feeling is a valid interpretation of the story and that Qatherine is actually a MtF character. (This tactic was tried with the "gay conversion therapy" controversy that started the Fire Emblem Fates censorship, because the girl in question fit a "trope" usually reserved for lesbians, thus she's a lesbian despite all scenes in the games pointing to the contrary)

Keep in mind Sony USA is likely interfering with the remake's development as implied by the weird wording of the tweet and the Atlus JP staffer thanking everyone concerned about this and "we love you", and that the US release is a TBD.

My take on these developments is that the pro-censorship mob at resetera have gotten quite bold lately. From dismissing Sony USA's censorship spree, or that they will touch Catherine (which caused many there to actually say "hold on, I actually care about this game and Persona 5 R") to embracing in full their soccer mom role and directly ask for that censorship and the firing of anyone who interferes with it.
They also demand the game be added to their banned game list and Atlus staffers and fans in general to be added to their persona non grata list, which is a usual step in the cycle of stalinian-style tyrannical states where the inner party keeps fine-tuning the purity test more and more to purge more potential indesirables within their ranks.

Last edited:

Claus Grimhildyr

Vincit qui se vincit
I had a few conversations on twitter last night and through various discords using literal screens from the game, audio transcripts that were translated, and more - but it seems these types literally only want to be offended. One of them in particular refused to listen to any reason. She didn't care about the differences in cultures, their social norms, or how vastly different the LGBT communities were in Japan compared to America - Atlus was strictly a "transphobic" company and anyone who defended it or didn't agree with her were transphobes who may or may not "kill" her. Absolute insanity. Hope the lass gets the psychiatric help she desperately needs.

petran79

Banned
I had a few conversations on twitter last night and through various discords using literal screens from the game, audio transcripts that were translated, and more - but it seems these types literally only want to be offended. One of them in particular refused to listen to any reason. She didn't care about the differences in cultures, their social norms, or how vastly different the LGBT communities were in Japan compared to America - Atlus was strictly a "transphobic" company and anyone who defended it or didn't agree with her were transphobes who may or may not "kill" her. Absolute insanity. Hope the lass gets the psychiatric help she desperately needs.

Have they actually completed the game? I even doubt they have the skills for Catherine platform puzzles and only watched scenes from Youtube. Puzzles teach you patience and self-discipline

Last edited:

Claus Grimhildyr

Vincit qui se vincit
Have they actually completed the game? I even doubt they have the skills for Catherine platform puzzles and only watched scenes from Youtube. Puzzles teach you patience and self-discipline

No. They saw tiny snippets of gameplay from various leaks and one or two "verafied" members who are very early on in the game feeding on their paranoia.

CatCouch

Looks like Zanki Zero is censored.

https://www.spike-chunsoft.com/news/zanki-zero-last-beginning-western-release-changes/

So the censorship is probably going to get worse going forward as it appears Twitter may be banning anime art that looks underage.

I don't care much for loli or young looking characters so I'm not too bothered by the removed content but I am worried about the lack of clarity surrounding Sony blocking content and the fact there has been no statements about why Twitter may be banning art now (I can't even confirm if it's true but Twitter rules do state that illustrations can count as child exploitation which I don't recal being there before).

If it's just underage characters that are the problem then I imagine Japan will just start making the characters 18+ in the future. Easy.

There seems to be no support for any sexy art, though. Is there any reason to believe that sexy content will continue in games or is the pressure so immense that creators will be forced to abandon their art?

I get the impression that there is a big attempt to ban sexual art behind the scenes but no one is publicly relaying what's happening. I'm not okay with this limbo for sexual art considering I draw erotic art.

I want to be able to buy Sony games again but I fear that they are destroying sexy content in games regardless of if it's underage or not. Why can't they just clarify what they mean? Is it only underage art that is an issue or do they take a moral stance against fan service?

Top Bottom