• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will You Purchase Google Stadia? (Post Conference opinions)

Post-Conference, are you now on board the Google Stadia Train?

• Total voters
The Google Stadia subscription/service/tax whatever has been revealed.

You saw the conference, you saw the summary in the thread, you saw the demonstrations (controlled or otherwise) live, and you know what Google's vision is.

So here's the ultimate question, now that you know what STADIA IS, WILL YOU JUMP ON BOARD?

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
My opinion on this issue is as follows:

Do you like streaming lag?

Do you like input lag?

Do you like unreliable crashes?

Do you NOT like to own your games?

Are you for a single company controlling gaming making it no longer an open-industry?

If you answered no to any of those questions, that means you DON'T want to touch Stadia, and don't worry I also said no to all those questions. Suggestion: Don't buy it.

BUT MAYBE, there's a few of you on heroine drugs here who had a heavy amount to snort inject drink and think that this is a good thing for the industry, and you would like to actually get this product, please share in a post below your opinion on why this is a good thing.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I... no. I mean, I own some google things that will work with it... but streaming my games just isn’t for me. Go native or go bust.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
giphy.gif

Jubenhimer

At the moment, no. Not just because I've gennerally grown to dislike Google as a company as of late, but streaming games simply aren't really my thing unless it's a game that can't run on my PC well.

Lone Wolf

I don't care for game streaming no matter who provides it, and I am pretty sure my internet can handle it. Ill stick with consoles.

overlordror

Neo Member
No thanks.

Google has absolutely the worst track record for a company introducing a new concept and then abandoning it completely. Now they're going to do it with gaming? Welcome to Ouya 2.0. Not to mention the play anywhere concept is horrible in the United States, where you're lucky if you can get more than 22GB on a mobile connection monthly before your carrier starts throttling the shit out of you.

It just doesn't seem like it has any legs and it will end up on Google's abandonware pile of apps like Allo, Inbox, Google+, Google Wave, and whatever else failures they've created over the years.

Leonidas

I'll keep running games locally and will hope for all the Google exclusives to be made available locally.

I do wish them success though and can see why many people will use their solution.

Last edited:
I've enjoyed other streaming platforms (OnLive, LiquidSky, Parsec) for various kinds of games, even if they were never my main platform, so I likewise may use this for a game here and there. But it's not something I expect to take seriously as a main platform.

Dunki

If they can mange Doom Eternal in 4K and 60 FPS with almost no input lags I will be really impressed and using their service. Before this is clear no chance. But If someone is capable of doing this than Google.

Von Hugh

Just like Netflix, I don't care about owning media.

Love your loaded passive-aggressive questions. Are you a neckbeard, Afro?

At the moment no because apparently "Gaming for everyone" only includes US, Canada, UK and Europe.

Don't worry, you're country is just not high priority at the moment, but I'm sure it'll be at the tier 2 launch.

Actually wasn't there another company that did that tier 2 thing and it backfried badly, I think it was Minecraft? No, wasn't Minecraft, but I think the company had the came amount of letters in it's name, hmmmm.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Just like Netflix, I don't care about owning media.

Love your loaded passive-aggressive questions. Are you a neckbeard, Afro?

This is actually a good non bias poll/thread.

He asked a benign question, and has standard poll options with the ability for users to comment. He gave his own personal opinion separate from the question/poll options.

Did the high end trendy clothes and poor man's electro pop music sway you too much?

Last edited:
I’ll consider it, but I need to demo the service first. I remain a skeptic that Stadia will overcome the inherent issues that plague cloud-gaming.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Lol no way. What a pointless waste of time it would be.

I already do streaming from PC for Psnow. I have a fiber connection and even wired it still has lag & graphics akin to watching a YouTube video. Why would I want a machine that only does that?

Maguro

The Google Stadia Bill is passed. The system goes on-line August 4th, 2020. Human decisions are removed from strategic defense. Stadia begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. In a panic, they try to pull the plug.
Stadia fights back.

Grinchy

Banned
We still don't even know how much it will cost, what games will be available on the service, or how well it actually runs in a normal user's home. It's hard to give it a very definitive answer because of these things.

Domisto

Truly owning your games has been on shaky ground since Steam. I prefer to buy through GOG but eventually I caved and now also use Steam. Stadia and it's competitors will improve over time and I'll cave again one day, probably a lot sooner this time. I don't collect games and rarely go back to them after playing for anything up to two years. So as much I support ownership and preservation there is still a place for this rental model of gaming. It will eventually become mainstream regardless.

Unless Google wants to start ramping up their FttP deployment again, this idea is dead on arrival. The basic network infrastructure needed to make this a success isn't there across many parts of the United States and Canada. Add in the ultimate corporate d**k move that is 'bandwidth caps', and it's a no go for a large swath of the nation.

We really need a nationwide FttP push, not unlike what our country did to get electricity everywhere across the country in the early 1910s/1920s.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Yeah, probably. Not sure it'll entirely replace my current gaming habits, but I enjoyed the Assassin's Creed demo enough that I'm convinced it would probably work okay for me. It sounds like they're building some first party exclusive stuff that could be really interesting.

I also like the idea of being able to pause a game a home, and unpause it and keep playing on something else, like my phone at work.

D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
I don't have the internet connection for streaming (and probably never will :messenger_confused:) and I prefer to own a console and physical discs (again, digital is not a reasonable option for me) so no, I'll never buy this.

Winter John

If it's cheap and it works sure why not. I'm not one of them people that cares much about hardware so it sounds pretty good to me

No, I don't give a shit about cloud gaming + I like having physical console and discs + connection isn't always the best where I live and I don't really "like" google as a corporation so yeah I won't be joining this boat.

I don't understand what you actually purchase. Just seems like a streaming service paid via a monthly membership. It's not worked in past and won't work today.

Top Bottom