• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will You Purchase Google Stadia? (Post Conference opinions)

Post-Conference, are you now on board the Google Stadia Train?

• Total voters

Angry_Ostrich

Neo Member
It's kinda too early to know for sure if I'll subscribe to Stadia. Will depent on many factors: how much will it be, how many games it'll have, etc.

But, if it'll turn out well, it'll be my must-have on the laptop. Hard to be a gamer when you travel a lot, so anything that is willing to make my life easier has my interest.

zenspider

Nope! I was (and am) optimistic about the tech and use cases, I but my expectations were primed for a Netflix-style service and low price entry into the next gen.

no chance £120 for a controller and a chromecast and then you have to purchase games as well? You need 35 Mbps+ for a "good experience". I am lucky enough to have 50+ which is slowly becoming a bad speed. That means I would only have 15 Mbps left over if I was streaming a game. I'm not a hater of the technology and I hope it makes Sony and MS create better hardware, I don't want to go to a streaming future at all but don't see the harm in options. Time will tell how it works out for google.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Nah. I’m interested in streaming and/or download subs like Gamepass, but I have too much to play on PS4, PC and Switch to get into that right now.

I’ll try game pass in the fall though as I’ll want to play the Gears 5 campaign. Stadia is much more wait and see for me as I can’t justify another platform right now.

Poll results aren’t surprising as hardcore gamers on forums are very opposed to streaming from what I’ve seen. It’s success or failure will come down to whether it interests more casual gamers who aren’t as concerned about latency etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dynasty8

So I'm curious as to why it's getting a lot of hate here and other online forums.

Let's assume this thing works as well as Google is promising, what's so bad about it and what risk is there to trying it out? We all have Chrome Browsers and I'm sure most of us have or can afford a Chromecast. Regarding the controller, you can use your current console controllers or a mouse and keyboard. As for the subscription, it's $10 a month for 4k and free for 1080p. If you have a shitty internet connection, that's a different story, but for those who have steady 100mb+ without data caps, then what's the negative here?

So with all that being said, you can try out some of the Free to Play titles for basically nothing.

Last edited:

Quezacolt

So I'm curious as to why it's getting a lot of hate here and other online forums.

Let's assume this thing works as well as Google is promising, what's so bad about it and what risk is there to trying it out? We all have Chrome Browsers and I'm sure most of us have or can afford a Chromecast. Regarding the controller, you can use your current console controllers or a mouse and keyboard. As for the subscription, it's $10 a month for 4k and free for 1080p. If you have a shitty internet connection, that's a different story, but for those who have steady 100mb+ without data caps, then what's the negative here?

So with all that being said, you can try out some of the Free to Play titles for basically nothing.
People already mentioned the negatives about this, multiple times.

ViolentP

I am going to try it out before I form an opinion on it. In fairness, I am a crazy person.

Dynasty8

People already mentioned the negatives about this, multiple times.

If you're talking about input lag and constant crashes, that's yet to be seen. If that's something we'll see often, then yes, this thing is dead on arrival and will be a catastrophic failure for Google.

But for now, I will give it a try at launch and form a fair opinion. Biggest reason being that there really isn't a risk in terms of cost. I am not buying a new console. I can use everything I currently have now to play it.

Thabass

I was originally, but decided to cancel my Founder's. I need to see what people think / pricing has me worried.

dilbag

at this point it would make more sense to go with Xbox and use their Xcloud feature since its free to use with your xbox or get a PS4 and use their play anywhere features.

FrostyJ93

No. I'll let it develop more first at least. Besides I dont have any of the devices that will support it day one and I'm not really interested in buying a Chromecast.

I have nothing against the business model, per se. What I am remain unconvinced about is the quality of the experience and what I would be forfeiting by using a non-native gaming platform (as in, one that requires passing visuals over the internet rather than interfacing directly with graphical unit).

wtftad

I'll buy it as long as it runs on the 2020 version of Google's tablet.
Google just cancelled all their tablet plans apparently.

However their laptops (read chrome books) are fantastic and played the AC:O streaming test just fine last winter. They are focusing their hardware efforts on laptops and mobile phones but seem to have abandoned their tablet line after the recent struggles with the slate.

Source

Last edited:
Top Bottom