• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will You Purchase Google Stadia? (Post Conference opinions)

Post-Conference, are you now on board the Google Stadia Train?

• Total voters

GenericUser

I don't think we will be able to "purchase" it, as is is more likely (in my opinion) that this becomes a subscription service.
As of right now, there are not enough informations available to make a decision.

I'm skeptical though, because I'm have yet to get used to the thought of not owning any physical device/game media. Considering that the internet can go down and the internet can be under stress and not work as it's supposed to sometimes, I guess I'm more leaning towards a traditional solution.

Last edited:

Chittagong

I stick to my position that predicting streaming gaming will take over is completely delusional aside from very big towns with broadband switches and server banks close by, particularly for action games.

People get annoyed by input lag inside their TV, imagine the necessary lag of your controller input travelling to google servers, affecting gameplay, a new frame being rendered reflecting the button press, then that frame being sent back to your Google Stadia, being passed onto your TV.

Even at speed of light the server farms need to be very close by to get acceptable lag.

And that is not to speak of travelling outside the Europe / USA internet supergrid. Even just *downloading* 6GB is close to impossible in many places. I was in Malaysia and Indonesia in January, and aside Kuala Lumpur, I couldn’t download anything over a GB, even if I left it over night.

I’ll say fail - we’ll see if this post will get quoted in a decade as an example of how GAF always gets it wrong :D

Yes, I'm 100% in on streaming being the future.

The reaction on the web is one of alot of people afraid of change.

Remember just because we have Spotify, people can still indulge in vinyl, there will always be products marketed to enthusiasts.

Whitecrow

Remember just because we have Spotify, people can still indulge in vinyl, there will always be products marketed to enthusiasts.
We have Spotify because theres thousands and thousands of songs and bands out there, and digital was the way to go.
But gaming is a whole different story.

Hudo

No, because I don't want to support Google and also I don't want a streaming-only console. Additionally, internet infrastructure in Germany is mediocre at best (let's be real, it's shit).

From an engineering point of view however, it is quite exciting. Lot's of interesting problems to solve there.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I do not wish to cede control of my gaming to the corporate gods, I do not wish my game collection to be subject to the whims of corporations to remove items at will as is the case with Spotify and its ilk. I binned streaming music and video after briefly trying both for this very reason. Fuck no, a million fucking times, fuck no.

tassletine

I have no idea what sort of sheep they farm at Google but I want some of that damned wool to pull over my eyes.

I live in a big city, but also in a world where you can't watch a movie without the connection degrading or cutting out (and when it does work it's suspiciously not the advertised HD or 4K).

And this infascructure can handle gaming?
Google staff need to get out more.

odhin

Thanks, but NO thanks.

I, for once, am actually rooting for a service/product to fail miserably, because I dont like this "direction" for gaming. I also dislike Google more and more by the day but thats another topic.

Three

You don't need to buy anything. Stadia isn't a product. It isn't even a customer service much like AWS isn't a customer facing service. It is a platform for people to make their services on. There is a reason it was at GDC. Imagine watching a fortnite video and there being a play button right on the video. You don't need to purchase anything. Imagine watching an Apex legends video and having a play now button. You are telling me you will never click it. It makes the barrier for jumping into games zero.

I imagine a lot of people saying they won't use it will at some point without even realising it's google much like AWS. A lot of people even say they won't play mobile games but I bet they do.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Or they're just sensible consumers and understand the limitations the technology will impose, both on their rights and on the product itself.

There are limitations now, having to buy hardware, disc capacity, hardware limitation.

Games are more and more always online, which will leave people will shelves full of colourful coasters.

The medium is changing, just like the automotive world right now with electric cars.

We have Spotify because theres thousands and thousands of songs and bands out there, and digital was the way to go.
But gaming is a whole different story.

That's not the reason we have Spotify, the fact you can find all those bands is a benefit of it.

Lanrutcon

There are limitations now, having to buy hardware, disc capacity, hardware limitation.

Games are more and more always online, which will leave people will shelves full of colourful coasters.

The medium is changing, just like the automotive world right now with electric cars.

But I'm not willing to trade one negative for another. You're giving up hardware costs to play games with shittier performance and constant lag. This is not a step forward. This is not advancement. This is, at best, an awkward sidegrade for a select a few. If you live somewhere with the infrastructure (and understand, you're going to need an absolutely amazing connection to do 4k 60fps) and you don't like owning games or hardware then have fun: this is for you. If you think the majority of gamers are going to bite then I think you're delusional.

Only 1 in every 250 cars on the road is electric, btw, and that took over 20 years to achieve.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
No, but the real reason is because Iive in Brazil, so I can't do it.
Second reason is my internet is poor
Third reason is that physical midia matters to me

Saruhashi

Banned
I am interested for sure but I'd need to know more on prices etc.

I can imagine myself ordering one of those controllers and setting up my account and settling in for a game of Doom Eternal and the fucking thing lags to fuck.

For less intensive games though I can see this being a pretty cool option.

The biggest problem I can see here is that customers can't possibly know how good it is until they try it out so hopefully there are free trials, reasonable subscription charges and an ability to cancel subscription if it doesn't work out.

A big thing here that's also appealing is that this product could basically remove the 300 to 400 buck entry fee to console gaming.
So you might see an further explosion of the number of people playing proper games. That's a good thing in general, I would think.

Something I am VERY suspicious of here is all the demonstrations etc are being done under controlled conditions.
So, yeah, in principal you could be playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey with the absolute best graphical performance possible on your brand new top of the line screen BUT how well does that really work when you are at home with the potential of many other devices accessing the network?

Even with something like Netflix my experience is that it doesn't ALWAYS work perfectly and I would say that as often as once a week we might have a connection issue that interrupts a movie or things start stuttering and/or become pixelated.
I can only imagine that this would be worse with games.

Once we find out the cost and the library of games I think people will make up their minds more rationally.

If this works then I guess it's inevitable that Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo will all follow on though surely they will be clever enough to have some kind of download option because I just can't see how gaming becoming 100% online only is going to work out well.

But I'm not willing to trade one negative for another. You're giving up hardware costs to play games with shittier performance and constant lag. This is not a step forward. This is not advancement. This is, at best, an awkward sidegrade for a select a few. If you live somewhere with the infrastructure (and understand, you're going to need an absolutely amazing connection to do 4k 60fps) and you don't like owning games or hardware then have fun: this is for you. If you think the majority of gamers are going to bite then I think you're delusional.

Only 1 in every 250 cars on the road is electric, btw, and that took over 20 years to achieve.

I think in 5 years time people will have to explain to others why they spend money on hardware when the majority stream.

Feel free to quote me on that if I'm wrong 😁

The rate of electric car sales is rocketing, and has done in the last 5 years, once the snowball starts rolling it's hard to stop it.

Lanrutcon

I think in 5 years time people will have to explain to others why they spend money on hardware when the majority of people who live in areas that have the supported infrastructure stream.

Fixed that for you. Google's value proposition is tied directly to your internet connection.

Electric car sales are not rocketing in the majority of the world. The moment you step out of the first world that particular snowball ain't going anywhere.

matheusnienow

Neo Member
I don't like the fact of all of my game being owned by Google. They already do some pretty bad censoring on youtube on certain contents. Their vision is too much progressive in my opinion. They will probably censo some more extreme themed games and try to bias in the future. I want to own my games and be able to play offline.

angelic

Banned

Streaming is 1 way. Gaming needs 2 ways. It doesn't work outside of lab conditions, even the damn 1 way conference video lagged.

Literally as stupid an idea as driverless cars. We need a new world war to focus people's minds off this frivilous utter shit.

Streaming is 1 way. Gaming needs 2 ways. It doesn't work outside of lab conditions, even the damn 1 way conference video lagged.

Literally as stupid an idea as driverless cars. We need a new world war to focus people's minds off this frivilous utter shit.
There will be more then 1 way for now, but in 10 years I think we will be in a Netflix situation where it is hard to remember the days of waiting for a DVD rental

JCK75

I used project Stream and it was smooth as butter for me, so I know what the experience is like and I thought it was pretty fantastic so it comes down to what I get for what price..
$15 a month and under for a solid selection of games I'm in
more than that I'm out
wanting me to pay for individual games in the cloud I'm out.

angelic

Banned
There will be more then 1 way for now, but in 10 years I think we will be in a Netflix situation where it is hard to remember the days of waiting for a DVD rental

The bit in bold makes no sense. There's no chance that 10 years we're all streaming games. Computing power advances year on year, you really think google (or anyone) can afford to have 100,000 VMs capable of running Doom Eternal, per country?

Also, unless you think the laws of physics will change in 10 years, all the undersea piping in the world can't change how lag works. HDTV screens even lag locally...nevermind 300 miles from a data centre and back, telling your Doomslayer what to do. I also suspect you don't know the difference between bandwidth and latency.

Sorry, the tech doesnt work, wont work. not ever. Everything you see is smoke and mirrors, at best you might get 30fps compressed video with 150ms input lag, if you live close to a data centre, with uncapped data. And then your display will add a bunch of lag, your wireless controller lags.

It's LITERALLY bullshit. Sigh.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Here in Mexico the internet speed is a joke. This is not a option and i always prefer the physical games and not only digital games.

The bit in bold makes no sense. There's no chance that 10 years we're all streaming games. Computing power advances year on year, you really think google (or anyone) can afford to have 100,000 VMs capable of running Doom Eternal, per country?

Also, unless you think the laws of physics will change in 10 years, all the undersea piping in the world can't change how lag works. HDTV screens even lag locally...nevermind 300 miles from a data centre and back, telling your Doomslayer what to do. I also suspect you don't know the difference between bandwidth and latency.

Sorry, the tech doesnt work, wont work. not ever. Everything you see is smoke and mirrors, at best you might get 30fps compressed video with 150ms input lag, if you live close to a data centre, with uncapped data. And then your display will add a bunch of lag, your wireless controller lags.

It's LITERALLY bullshit. Sigh.

Best go tell them then before they spend any more money on it

Edit,
And the bold part is there as at the moment you can just go blow a grand on a graphics card and have your local experience.

Last edited:
Damn, I can see internet providers rubbing their hands for this one going big...

I mean, I have unlimited but no way I'm going to support this with the sleaziness of the providers in mind.
75 mbs is still an amount that many people can't get. That speed isn't even offered in my parent's neighborhood.

db1416

I’m actually not 100% against it. My only real worry is that it won’t run well on internet I’ll have in an apartment. I like that there’s no commitment honestly. I don’t plan on buying Xbox One 2 or a PS5 and I already have my Switch. If there’s a specific game I want to play and it works? Why not I say. However, if you have to pay for the streaming itself and not just the games, I’m out.

lucius

It is mostly just hype, Xbox and PlayStation both have better streaming services just for the fact there are hundreds of great games you can play on those but I still dont really use those much. I mean If they are gonna give me 3 months for $2 yeah I might try it. Still a bad way to play though, you still will need twice as fast internet than what most people have and you will be playing on something maybe a step up from mobile but still worse than Switch . These services keep hyping you can just play anywhere yeah where you gonna pull that controller out your ass ? Might as well game on Switch if you so badly want to game like that . 5G wont run it that great either unless it’s under best conditions. They should offer ability to dowload the game aslo but of course that go against what they are hyping. Is it where gaming will be 10 years from now, quite possibly but many things can happen before that. Let’s see it running with millions playing it at even 1080p HDR not under their own perfect conditions without hitches. You know like the way I am able to play God of War in HDR on a 5 year old tech PS4 yet it is still beautiful today .

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

My opinion on this issue is as follows:

Do you like streaming lag?

Do you like input lag?

Do you like unreliable crashes?

Do you NOT like to own your games?

Are you for a single company controlling gaming making it no longer an open-industry?

If you answered no to any of those questions, that means you DON'T want to touch Stadia, and don't worry I also said no to all those questions. Suggestion: Don't buy it.

BUT MAYBE, there's a few of you on heroine drugs here who had a heavy amount to snort inject drink and think that this is a good thing for the industry, and you would like to actually get this product, please share in a post below your opinion on why this is a good thing.

Came to voice all of my concerns and this pretty much covers it. I'd add you can't play your internet is down and variable resolution depending on contention usage

This sounds like the original Xbox One without the hardware.
To be fair, it might have more in common with PS Now, but that's really a complimentary service.

It remains to be seen how much exclusive content they will have or how cheap the service will be.

angelic

Banned
Best go tell them then before they spend any more money on it

They know, well some of them do, it's snake oil. But these big executives don't understand games. While he understandds the business, Phil Harrison doesn't understand actual games. He thinks he does, but he thinks you can replace local hardware with cloud stuff and people will happily play along. Only actual, real gamers (and devs) know you need a local device doing the processing. This is why it's a scam, a joke, an absurd push by a dumb company and stupid executives.

Here's the kicker, do you see Nintendo doing it? Nope. The only companies trying it are the ones with idiot execs pushing it internally. I mean, it's all laughable really, and it'll be superb to see it crumble. Just a little bit annoying to watch confused people giving it any credibility for the moment. Even the engineers working on it will be just taking the paycheque, knowing it will fail. I would too.

Last edited:

The Snake

No. This is a console for people who don't browse forums like this.

Patricia is going to love playing Candy Crush on her big Chinese knockoff TV.

They know, well some of them do, it's snake oil. But these big executives don't understand games. While he understandds the business, Phil Harrison doesn't understand actual games. He thinks he does, but he thinks you can replace local hardware with cloud stuff and people will happily play along. Only actual, real gamers (and devs) know you need a local device doing the processing. This is why it's a scam, a joke, an absurd push by a dumb company and stupid executives.

Here's the kicker, do you see Nintendo doing it? Nope. The only companies trying it are the ones with idiot execs pushing it internally. I mean, it's all laughable really, and it'll be superb to see it crumble. Just a little bit annoying to watch confused people giving it any credibility for the moment. Even the engineers working on it will be just taking the paycheque, knowing it will fail. I would too.

Switch_NintendoLabo_VRKit_ToyConBird.jpg

No, I don't.

angelic

Banned
I mean this with the greatest respect to everyone but there are alot of armchair experts on sites like this.

Absolutely, but physics dont change. You cannot stream 1080p 60fps without lag, it's impossible. Even under test conditions, with incredible connections both sides, there is still inherent lag. Never mind before you throw it out onto horrible consumer broadband.

On top of all of that, financially it doesnt work either. Conservative estimate, for the UK they might need 10,000 VMs running Doom Eternal. That's not cheap.

It's spectacularly idiotic, leading me to believe it's a trojan horse for something else, a data grab, money laundering, something insidious. No one with any brain cells would invest in betting against the laws of physics. They cannot win.

Kadayi

Banned
I'm not adverse, but frankly, I'm not sure whether I have the internet speed to make this viable. I wait to see how it fares when it launches tbh.

Top Bottom