• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will You Purchase Google Stadia? (Post Conference opinions)

Post-Conference, are you now on board the Google Stadia Train?

• Total voters

demigod

Curious how much data this will consume because I do have a data cap with my provider. Currently have the fastest internet available to me and I still have issues with lag when my wife watches Netflix and I'm playing Apex Legends or any other online game.

Can't help but feel this sort of thing is a bit early yet.

it still appeals to me. The older I get the less time I have so the ability to simply click and play is great. Today I went to boot up apex and play a quick round before I leave for work and I'm met with a download screen for the most recent update.

Whats your download speed?

Legit question, people still buy CD's?
Yes, some people like to have a physical library of music. It's happened in the past where licensing issues have meant the removal of media from online libraries. I can buy a lot of used or bin CDs for less than it would cost to buy the same library of songs online. I don't pop a CD into a device anymore when I want to listen to something, but all the music on the HDD in my car originally came off a disc.

JimboJones

I'll probably buy a handful of titles for it, might be handy as an ultra portable way of bringing games with you for a handful of titles.

I don't know the cost or the game lineup. If the service was $2.99 and had a decent library then yes. If it was $14.99 and had a terrible library then obviously not.

I don't care about owning the games since I never replay old games and I would rather have a big library of games to play than own a very small library. You don't own games on Xbox Game Pass and PS Now either and I would pay for those. The ability to play these games on something like a Roku on every TV in my home or every laptop and tablet also makes these services in some ways better than a single game console connected to one TV. My guess is I'll end up subscribing to 2-3 of these game services in the end or cycling them on and off as big games release.

Well I'm not in one of 10 tier 1 European countries so even if I wanted I wouldn't be able to buy it.

And well for 3rd party machine I already have pc and mine is closer to 13-14TF when overclocked ;)

Stuart360

Very interesting poll results, taking into account the more hardcore gamer level of people who post on forums like this, people that would probably be more open to the idea of somehting like this, than the more casual masses, many of whom probably dont have the level of uncapped internet you would need for streaming games.
I dont think physical hardware/games loving people need to worry about any streaming future, yet.

Karppuuna

Do we even know the price and what game it has, time is not right for this, let's see again after 5-10 years.
Every single player game that has require internet connection sucks.

Last edited:

ultrazilla

This is never going to work for those of us out there that have monthly data caps. Seriously, I don't see this making any sort of impact on the game market.
Nintendo, MS and Sony will continue to do "their thing". Google is trying what Nintendo perfects with a "Blue ocean" strategy but Google is going to drown doing it.

EDMIX

There is no reason to buy an anti-consumer product.

Exactly be like "click here to rent games for life and increase your internet speed to keep renting"

Game unfinished? Who cares we'll just patch up behind the scenes with NO OFFICIAL PATCH NOTES

Scene in game too controversial? We'll just remove it in real time and its gone for life

Mods? Well you can't do anything to our games anyway.

New game coming out? We'll just get rid of those older ones so that way you could only play the new one.

Bad performance on single player games in regards to input lag? So much for the benefits of single player with this concept

Weather is bad in your area? well that sucks because you're offline and can't continue your single-player games

Weather is bad in our area? Well that sucks because you're offline and can't enjoy your single player games.

So many things come into play regarding this not just in regards to Performance but simply in regards to ownership in terms of games. So this type of stuff might work for free to play games like fortnite but I don't really believe it's going to work with major AAA games where you have consumers spending so much money to rent something that can be removed so effortlessly.

EekTheKat

No - mostly because I think game streaming doesn't inherently make games more fun vs the traditional setup. It's also introducing multiple points of possible failure to what was once a relatively simple experience.

Also as a reminder -Latency isn't the only issue at play here - any sort of packet loss or poorly configured home internet/access point can cause issues with gameplay. On an off day if Google, your ISP, or any of the routes in between have any sort of issues, expect a not so pleasant experience.

Also if history continues to repeat itself - it's typically not a great idea to be the first in line to adopt first generation Google Hardware or services.

DanielsM

Banned
How can be you on board if they didn't announce a product/service you can buy or subscribe to?

What are they selling? All they have announced is technology, which everyone has.

Last edited:
No. No matter how good streaming services get, it's a means to an end for these large companies that want total control over the content we "buy". Until the last physical disk or memory card is pushed out, I will be buying physical and going with traditional methods to playing my games. PC, PS4 and Switch is the holy trinity of gaming, right now. I honestly scoff at the streaming shit that will, and I acknowledge this, will end up taking over... at some point.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
pretty impossible to answer this without knowing pricing, or what games there are, or any specifics. it'll play DOOM Eternal, but my PC will play that, even my Switch will play that. if this is a streaming service, i could see the graphics being on the level of Switch as well.

Last edited:

120v

I'll see where it goes. Most likely not but give me a good bargain with good enough performance, why not try it out at least

Kinda nothing to go on at this point either way

I mean if Anaconda going similar route nxt gen and its proven will me miles better, latency, stream etc..then no , what's the point in Snookia or whatever tha...

odhiex

My Internet is 💩, but I'm still interested with the technology but as of now, I am unsure about getting Stadia.

Okay Goggle....(paused) Show me your exclusive games.

Why do you always have to make a poll? Are you unable to make a simple topic to discuss? Every single topic of yours is a poll, sometimes with 10+ choices....every single one.

Jubenhimer

If you believe that we have seen plenty of censorship in the industry, just give power to Google and then we will see what censorship truly means. Just have a look at what Google has done with Captain Marvel

https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2019/...rson-search-results-for-captain-marvel/79220/

This is what I'm worried about too, particularly regarding indie developers. Google at any moment can take down and erase games from Stadia that don't align with their political beliefs. That's going to be a nightmare for indies, and if what I think will happen, actually happens, indies by and large won't put their games on Stadia because of this. I always believed that creators should be allowed to make whatever idea they want, with whatever beliefs they want. Sure, their ideas or beliefs may not be popular or well liked, but that's for the Free Market to decide, not Silicon Valley mega corps.

Last edited:

Sejan

I’m guessing that not wanting to talk about pricing means that it won’t be great.

My guess is that it’ll cost more over a console generation for subscription fees than the console would cost. Maybe less than a console plus an online pass, though.

Either way, it’s not a realistic option for me with our new internet data caps.

DanielsM

Banned
C
I’m guessing that not wanting to talk about pricing means that it won’t be great.

My guess is that it’ll cost more over a console generation for subscription fees than the console would cost. Maybe less than a console plus an online pass, though.

Either way, it’s not a realistic option for me with our new internet data caps.

It's worse than that imo, no business model for devs, pubs, or consumers was discussed at all. Typically, or generally you don't save money by moving to a virtual machine type situation, a business can sometimes save on headcount as the don't need to manage hardware, but to a consumer there really is no savings and they will need to make money eventually over the cost of the hardware.

Last edited:

zenspider

I'm open to this. Have to see what the initial commitment looks like - even if it's just a controller. Stradia/Switch could be a perfect combo if it works decent.

jadedm17

I'm open to the idea but we need to be cautious and keep expectations in check.
Also : It's always about the games.

Pantz

The one thing that I'm interested in with these services is the combined GPU's coming together to make a game specifically designed and only playable on like 20 GPU's at once (or whatever the proper way to say it is). Like that Final Fantasy tech demo they were showing off a couple years back.

dottme

I sometimes have issues to stream YouTube with the pop up “we see you have connection issues blablabla.....”
So gaming isn’t even an option.

RiccochetJ

I'm undecided, but I think I prefer Microsoft and Sony's approach where streaming is an option, but local hardware and games are there for the premier experience.

In fact I just bought all the parts tonight so I can build a new PC next week.

Last edited:

MayauMiao

I will still stick to having a console just to get that pure 1080p/4k lag free experience goodness.

I know my Internet connection well enough that streaming service will definitely suck balls at certain time of the day.

I think Google Stadia will have limited success.

Bwesh

Third worlder represent. This is my speed. I pay 1900php/m for it which is about US$36. There's 3 of us here using phones and computers whole day.

8126099962.png

I can barely play fighting games online. Now they offer WiFi controllers, lulz. I'll at least try it if they offer a free trial or if the cost is on par with Netflix.

fermcr

I get buffering and stop's with youtube videos... just imagine the horrible gaming experience that would be.

HELL NO. Not interested in Stadia.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

No. I hate Google for the changes they made to Google search (IP based searches and blocking access to shopping searches on other countries) and i live in a rural area with 6mb Internet max, with no other alternatives (and I rather have slow Internet than move elsewhere! I'm surrounded by fields and trees, only 2 neighbours and I have view to 2 palaces and 1 Castle).

Inviusx

I really don't even see how this is a threat to anyone tbh, the ideal scenarios are astronomically outwieghed by the number of users who literally don't have a connection to support it.

A console is a console, a physical box that's available to literally any household that can pay upfront. Surely that business model will continue to reign supreme until 100million+ users have San Francisco speed internet.

Top Bottom