• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With todays game styles, which characters do you think could make a comeback?

Rlan

A lot of classic characters died during the 32-bit age, or are simply kicking around doing stuff all. People want them to come back, but just didn't seem to work in 3D. Now with todays advancements, are there any characters you could see making a comeback?

Me, I'd love to see a new EarthWorm Jim game. The N64 game looked crap and so very generic mission wise.

Earthworm Jim would work fantastically as a game very similar to Ratchet & Clank. You've got the guns [normal blaster, 'home'ing missile], the weapon selection would work perfectly for the character, slingshot = snot from EWJ2, Even those Peter Puppy levels could be done fairly well. He'd be able to fly from planet to planet on that scooter thing of his, taking of Psycrow, Pr. Monkey for a Head, and Queen Slug-for-a-butt.

I wouldn't mind seeing Bubsy coming back either. 3D was such a horrible game, and his attitude in general was pretty 'lame', but he could easily be revitalized in a game similar to the Sonic Adventure games, even having those caves so you could backtrack a lot easier, and have those special stages from Bubsy 1 where you float down the wodden waterways.

Rocket Knight'd be great too, but I can't really think of any games which would play similarly to him now. Maybe like R&C2 with the boost boots and no weapon changes?

DCX

DCX
I for one, would die to see Gex make a return to glory. With today's tech, Gex would be perfect and the masses would really catch on. Gex was underated during it's run. Maybe a 3D remake of the first one would be a great start, and re-do 2-3 and make a 4th....on second thought to much resourse for rehashes...just make a new one :p

DCX

Soul4ger

People liked Bubsy? Let's just bring back Aero while we're at it. We don't have enough worthless animal mascots.

Pit from Kid Icarus needs to get his ass back, and soon.

shibbs

Indeed Bubsy has to stay dead. I agree on Earthworm Jim, i loved the snes games.

I also would like to see:

Plok%211.gif

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i think a new zillion could be uber cool. cel shaded of course, with a bit of stealth for getting past security to gain access to room codes, and a lot of action blasting bad guys and rescuing your comrades. fuck, that would be cool

belgurdo

Banned
op_ivy said:
i think a new zillion could be uber cool. cel shaded of course, with a bit of stealth for getting past security to gain access to room codes, and a lot of action blasting bad guys and rescuing your comrades. fuck, that would be cool

A Zillion revival (complete with updated-for-post-80s character designs) would be awesome, although it might benefit it more to just be a straight action game than have stealth stuff (especially considering their usual strategy was to basically just shoot until the guns stopped working.)

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
belgurdo said:
A Zillion revival (complete with updated-for-post-80s character designs) would be awesome, although it might benefit it more to just be a straight action game than have stealth stuff (especially considering their usual strategy was to basically just shoot until the guns stopped working.)

you cant ditch the 80's anime designs, thats whats so hip about it.

a few more me and a friend came up with the other day would be a strider that plays similarly to xbox's ninja gaiden. shit, NG's gameplay probably fits strider even better then it does itself, and futuritic cities could look so incredible.... also, playing fsw made me think how great a new x-com game could be with the similar squad gameplay in which you order the units with directly controlling them, all in real time.

DCX said:
I for one, would die to see Gex make a return to glory. With today's tech, Gex would be perfect and the masses would really catch on. Gex was underated during it's run. Maybe a 3D remake of the first one would be a great start, and re-do 2-3 and make a 4th....on second thought to much resourse for rehashes...just make a new one :p

For whatever it's worth, Whiplash (x/ps2) is by the same guys and has a very similar sense of humor and general 'feel' to it as the 3D Gex games.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I'd love a new Bionic Commando... but I'd think it would have to be a side scroller...

Then again, Metroid Prime was excellent...

Tritroid

Not necessarily a comeback...but Nintendo still needs to do this.

Take the next Mario 64/Sunshine, and apply Wind Waker's engine to it. (The way it was before it was redefined as Zelda 05.)

I never understood why they chose to keep Mario 'realistic' and change Zelda to 'toon'. It seems so backwards. :p

human5892

Queen of Denmark
No more Bubsy. Ever again.

I do agree about Earthworm Jim, though. It would be such a shame for the last new EJ game to be that horrible N64 rendition.

Top Bottom