• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wizardry 6, 7, and 8 come to GOG.

Llyranor

Oh wow. Wiz8 is absolutely one of my favorite Wrpgs. What a fabulous combat system. Definitely going to replay it. Never played 6-7, even though they're a story trilogy, though I remember hearing quite good things about them

Gloam

Wizardry 8? Wizardry 8! WIZARDRY 8!!!!

Now I can relive my carefree days of unemployment, in my present stress filled life of unemployment.

I adored the little bit I played of Wizardry 8, but I had never gotten around to playing beyond the first dungeon. I almost brought my discs with me to Japan, but decided to leave them behind since it's a rare game. I might just have to pick up all three, since the free copy I got of 6 from a PCGamer demo disc would never run, and all my copies of the games are stateside (actualy, my copy of 7 was also a PC gamer freebie).

I forgot just how ugly 7's character design is, even in the Gold version. Eugh. It didn't bother me much when I played it 18 years ago, but....
Still, anyone who likes Etrian Odyssey needs to play these to see what that kind of game system can evolve into when given substantially more depth and taken out of the dungeons into a deep, complex, highly interactive world and given much richer character development.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
W8 was fucking amazing. Good times.

Minsc

Nice I was going to make a thread if no one else did. Great releases, it's been a while since I've played them (aside from quickly booting up Wizardry 8 from time to time and seeing it running today at high res & 200+ fps.), so I look forward to grabbing them all and revisiting them.

Here are some excerpts from the GOG sheets:

wGWRoqZ.png
cD7d1FJ.png

Wizardry 6 + 7 said:
- Both Wizardry games offer classic hard core turn-based role-playing with 14 ranked professions and 11 unique races.
- Tons and tons of treasure to find, elaborate dungeons to explore, tough tactical battles to win, and that’s just the start of the adventure of up to 500 hours of playtime.

Wizardry 8 said:
- Continue the adventure with the group of adventurers that braved through Wizardry 7, or create a new custom party from a plethora of races and classes.
- Choose a custom personality for each character and hear them speak over 100 lines of dialogue. Kindly or chaotic, burly or surly - how your characters act is completely up to you.
- Talk with intelligent characters who react to how you treat them and become your allies or enemies in your quest of 200 hours of gameplay or more.

TEJ

I'll finally see what the hulaballoo over wiz 8 is about. Many of my trusted friends say that it's not only the best dungeon crawler ever made, that it has one of the finest battle systems in an rpg.

fleck0

Only experience I have with the series is briefly playing the Wizardry 8 demo on a PC Gamer disc. I dont know a lot about the series but what kind of time investment are we talking about if one wanted to play through the whole trilogy so you could import your party each game?

Only experience I have with the series is briefly playing the Wizardry 8 demo on a PC Gamer disc. I dont know a lot about the series but what kind of time investment are we talking about if one wanted to play through the whole trilogy so you could import your party each game?

How willing are you to deviate from the Original Experience (faqs, ini fixes to deal with level scaling, etc)?

fleck0

How willing are you to deviate from the Original Experience (faqs, ini fixes to deal with level scaling, etc)?

I would use FAQs and probably maps when I got sick of drawing them, would messing with level scaling lead to an overpowered party being imported into the next game?

I would use FAQs and probably maps when I got sick of drawing them, would messing with level scaling lead to an overpowered party being imported into the next game?

It's been so long since I played W7 that I don't remember if it had scaling, but W8 certainly did and it (and the encounter frequency) rapidly yanked the fun away for me as a result.

My extremely distant memory says: Extensive use of FAQs for W6 (maybe look for a hex editor too for char gen?), much less so for W7, find some way to change the game settings in W8.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
if you could only play 1, im guessing its 8? what if you play 8 first though, can you go back to 6 and 7?

If you're going to play all 3 then do it in order. The stories are all linked together, each game having multiple end points and multiple start points based on how you finished the previous game.

Eusis

You even import your characters, I was ready to disregard 6/7 until I saw "import characters from 7!" and ultimately just got 6/7 for now.

Also god damn a decade between installments and still allowing save importing, that has to be a record that'll never be beaten.

ronito

YES! I always wanted to play 8. Is it worth going all the way back to six and starting there to get the whole trilogy or should I just start with 8?

Kyuur

YES!

Finally a way to play Wizardry 8 legally and for a decent price again. I lost my discs long ago but I absolutely love this game. I have been waiting forever for this moment!

JhOnZgY.gif

Zarovitch

I've try to play Wiz8 on windows 7 but it crash.
But there's probably some method to make it play.

Those are really good games, 7 is my perfect RPG, nothing came close to this game.

I've never played a Wizardry game, I missed out on a lot of older PC games the first time around. Do these play similarly to the Etrian Odyssey games on DS? I'm curious about tryin out 6&7.

Eusis

I've never played a Wizardry game, I missed out on a lot of older PC games the first time around. Do these play similarly to the Etrian Odyssey games on DS? I'm curious about tryin out 6&7.
Etrian Odyssey's more user friendly overall from what I gather, nevermind how I managed to die quickly in 6 with the premade crew. Still, 6 is fully mouse controllable so that makes it way more accessible to me than the 80s RPGs.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Etrian Oddyssey is kind of a babby's first Wizardry. Similar but far easier and less complex.

TEJ

Is there a good beginners guide to wiz 8? I've only played games that are similar to wiz1-5 and the etrian odyssey franchise and this seems to be very different in mechanics from those games.

Llyranor

For the record, you can play 8 alone if you must. It's one of my favorite WRPGs ever, and I never played 6/7. I will rectify that last mistake now, though.

I am wondering how much you would miss out on if you just played 8.

I wouldn't mind playing 6 & 7 as well but coming up with the time to play through all three will be tough.

Sophia

For anyone who's new, they should start at Wizardry 6, as the three games (6-7-8) form a trilogy that lets you carry over your characters from one game to the next. Wizardry 7: Crusaders of the Dark Savant, for example, has four different beginnings depending on which ending you got in Wizardry 6, or if you're starting fresh.

It's turn-based. Phase-based (in 8, anyway), really. You input command for all characters, then the phase/round unfolds in sequence.

That is totally awesome.

Anything you could compare it to? It looks like world navigation is in 3D and real time. Is it like Might and Magic 7 in that respect, and then you can pause and play out encounters in waves like that?

Might and Magic kind of irritates me. It feels like it's missing a lot of detail that should be there, not crunchy enough. I assume this is a lot more detailed?

Sophia

That is totally awesome.

Anything you could compare it to? It looks like world navigation is in 3D and real time. Is it like Might and Magic 7 in that respect, and then you can pause and play out encounters in waves like that?

Might and Magic kind of irritates me. It feels like it's missing a lot of detail that should be there, not crunchy enough. I assume this is a lot more detailed?

Navigation is 3D, but all encounters are turn-based. Wizardry 8 has continuous-phase mode for those who want some real time stuff, but 6/7 are strictly turn based.

There's a big emphasis on character customization too. Very oldschool RPG like.

I guess the closest modern day comparison would be like Etrian Odyssey? Minus the map editing stuff.

Top Bottom