Would you use an "Ignore Thread" feature?

Nymphae

If I have no intention of ever participating in a specific thread, I would like the ability to hide it from a subforum's topic list. I think this would increase people's engagement in threads they do enjoy, and it might even curb some shitposting that occurs when someone posts bile in a topic they don't really care about simply because it's an active topic they keep seeing.

Very specifically, there was that botched circumcision thread awhile back, and I had no interest in posting in it, and was getting really sick of seeing it every time I came into Off Topic. I don't think this feature would have many negative side effects, if any.

Last edited:
It's a feature on a forum I used to visit.

With regard to here, if you put the thread starter on ignore the thread will vanish for you.

MrTickles

The inability of some people to simply tune out and ignore that which doesn't interest them/offends them astounds me. Safe spaces breed weak minds with no innate ability to set boundaries. We should steer away from such mental handicaps.

Last edited:

Nymphae

The inability of some people to simply tune out and ignore that which doesn't interest them/offends them astounds me. Safe spaces breed weak minds with no innate ability to set boundaries. We should steer away from such mental handicaps.

I fail to see how me hiding a dumb thread I have no interest in is effectively any different than me simply "tuning out that which doesn't interest me"

I was reading "Two boys almost bled to death in botched circumcisions" several times a day and didn't really want to, how is me putting that thread on an ignore list hurting anything? I'm not going to engage with the thread anyway, and now I can see more threads I might care about. But please, pat yourself on the back for having the mental fortitude to not care. This would not negatively impact any conversations here.

Last edited:

slugbahr

It could be a useful feature if it effectively bumped up the next thread. That is, if one on the first page was being ignored, it would show the first thread from the second page.

Nymphae

It could be a useful feature if it effectively bumped up the next thread. That is, if one on the first page was being ignored, it would show the first thread from the second page.

If you ignore a user, their threads do not show up in the list, so threads further down are 1 higher up in the list. It's not going to grab a thread from the next page, it's just going to bump the order of everything up 1.

iconmasterX

Safe spaces breed weak minds with no innate ability to set boundaries.

I'd submit you're operating under a false dichotomy.

On the one extreme, there is excluding everything with which you disagree -- and making sure to exclude it for everyone else as well. That's the current college "safe space" model. On the other extreme, there is exposing yourself to everything in the world, everyone's voice and content at all times, regardless of how distasteful you find it.

Surely there are some points along that spectrum, and perhaps even a middle range where we could find common ground.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I would definitely use this feature...especially in the Politics section.

I don't like the idea of outright ignoring a user, but sometimes thread titles can be a bit obnoxious and I would rather clear the space for more topics I'm interested in.

Last edited:

Uhtred

Honestly, since politics has its own section, I would be less likely to want to use it. Other forums though, its a must.

MrTickles

I fail to see how me hiding a dumb thread I have no interest in is effectively any different than me simply "tuning out that which doesn't interest me"

I was reading "Two boys almost bled to death in botched circumcisions" several times a day and didn't really want to, how is me putting that thread on an ignore list hurting anything? I'm not going to engage with the thread anyway, and now I can see more threads I might care about. But please, pat yourself on the back for having the mental fortitude to not care. This would not negatively impact any conversations here.

Was this causing undue mental stress? Yes/No? If yes, then fair dinkum. If no, then you're just being fussy.

Nymphae

Was this causing undue mental stress? Yes/No? If yes, then fair dinkum. If no, then you're just being fussy.

What would the potential downside be in letting me hide a thread that I have absolutely no interest in? If you can't think of one, you're just being a prick.

Nymphae

He is being fussy either way.

Personal responsibility and self control should become a factor at some point.

Again, if there are no negative effects of letting users filter threads they see, why does it matter if they want to be fussy? It's literally just a mechanical way to do what I would do anyway, ie. not look at threads that don't interest me.

In fact I have listed potential benefits that this feature would provide. I don't understand the pushback against a potentially beneficial tool, you're not even telling me how it would be bad in any way, just calling me names lol

Last edited:

iconmasterX

It occurs to me that "just ignore the thread-ignore feature" would be pretty equivalent to "just ignore the thread."

I can't see why either would take ethical precedence. You don't like the feature -- you ignore it. How hard is it to ignore stuff that offends you, right?

嫩翼

so it's not nice
Would you use an "Ignore NeoGAF" feature?

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Nah, but boy would I have been tempted yesterday with all with all those Google console threads Voost was posting.

red_shift

Neo Member
More tools are better than less. It's not like anyone gets forced to use them.
I generally use the hover over menu to ignore users but whole threads would be a good option too.

Kadayi

Probable Replicant
Unlikely. I don't enter threads unless I have a stake in the subject, which is why you'll rarely if ever find me in a PS or Xbox thread unless it's related to a specific game.

Last edited:

DKehoe

Not really. I’ll usually give most threads at least a passing glance to see what kinds of things people are saying. Sometimes the threads you initially have no interest in can be the ones you learn the most from.

JareBear

Absolutely, if would make the browsing experience much more enjoyable. I don’t need the daily AOC/Transgender/Sony is Doomed thread in my life. I don’t want to ignore the topic creators outright, so ignoring threads would clean my forum list nicely and still keep conversations possible in relevant topics

Top Bottom