• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

Bullet Club

New year, new wrasslin' thread!

Hot News!

All Elite Wrestling officially announced

Upcoming Events

NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 13

Vbvrd70.jpg

Date: January 4, 2019
City: Tokyo, Japan
Venue: Tokyo Dome

Card

aWlw8iF.jpg

How To Watch

NJPW World
Fite.TV

News

WWE Royal Rumble 2019

z0pi9Xg.jpg

Date: January 27, 2019
City: Phoenix, Arizona
Venue: Chase Field

Card

SBlKZW5.jpg

How To Watch

WWE Network
You local PPV provider

News

Regarding the Rumble matches, Natalya announced on Raw that she will be part of the women's Royal Rumble, joining Carmella, who earned the No. 30 spot by winning the Mixed Match Challenge along with R-Truth.

Joining Truth in the men's Rumble will be Drew McIntyre and all three members of New Day, who made their announcements during this week's tapings as well.

Other shows in January:

69DjJeN.jpg

Miscellaneous Videos, GIFs, Pictures & Tweets

lcVJ1Gj.jpg

Great jumper, AJ!

SV9WN6i.jpg

Du-ditfWsAAKNGr

The impression I'm getting is that AEW really is going to launch straight out of the gate with a decent TV deal. They have talent in holding contracts baring the signing of a TV deal. I expect they launch this fall with Tuesday Night Dynamite just when Smackdown moves to Fridays.

Actually, Double or Nothing in May lines up to be just around new TV announcements.

Bullet Club

Yes SD moving to Friday nights does open up a nice spot on Tuesdays for someone to fill. Might as well be AEW.

Something I was going to post about in the OP are podcasts. There are a million of them out there these days, what are your favourite ones?

Here are some of the ones I listen to. All fairly mainstream and common.

6:05 Superpodcast

THE MOTHERSHIP! Call somebody!

Between The Sheets

Bix & Kris go over a retro week of wrestling by looking through the dirtsheets.

Jim Cornette Experience
Jim Cornette’s Drive-Thru

Corny answers questions about old wrestling and rants about Trump.

The Lapsed Fan

Podcasts that normally go for 2+ times longer than the show they are reviewing.

What Happened When

Tony Schiavone talks about Klondike Bill eating parking lot panties and stuff like that while watching old WCW PPVs.

DKehoe

Really looking forward to the Tokyo Dome show. Because I’m in the U.K. I can watch it live, which is a nice novelty with me for major wrestling shows.

Really looking forward to the Tokyo Dome show. Because I’m in the U.K. I can watch it live, which is a nice novelty with me for major wrestling shows.
I watched it live last year from Canada. Think I was up at 3am EST. This year I am going to have to wait until after work and watching it in the evening at a friend's place.

Avoiding spoilers is going to be fun.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Been out the wrestling loop for ages
Wwe is my main. What are the other good shows/companies to watch ?

If there are YouTube/dailymotion vids to watch I don’t mind as not to assed to be watching live.

Not a wrestling fan, but I did see the film The Wrestler with Mickey Rourke for the first time last night.

Good movie, if you haven't seen it. 👍

Even if you're not a wrestling fan it's actually a good look at a pro wrestling career on the indie circuit.

DKehoe

Been out the wrestling loop for ages
Wwe is my main. What are the other good shows/companies to watch ?

If there are YouTube/dailymotion vids to watch I don’t mind as not to assed to be watching live.

The Kazuchika Okada vs Kenny Omega matches in NJPW are probably a good starting point if you want to check out non-WWE stuff. Here's the first one: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6cws2t

Meeeeeaaaaaannnnn........WOO! Gene!

RIP Mean Gene.

I've been more interested in women's wrestling myself for the past few years, so it's great to see that they're letting Becky Lynch run with her momentum. Shame that ROH's women division has kinda just......fizzled?

I wonder who the next crop of Stardom talent will be, too. Hopefully their NYC show is a success--more exposure is usually a good thing.

The Kazuchika Okada vs Kenny Omega matches in NJPW are probably a good starting point if you want to check out non-WWE stuff. Here's the first one: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6cws2t
Oh boy, the match that not only made me an absolute fanboy of Omega and Okada, but that also revitalized my passion for pro wrestling.

I went from "I guess after 15 years it's time to move on, WWE sucks and NXT has not enough PPV (and also I know that most of the NXT guys will be wasted on the main roster eventually)" to "holy shit wrestling is fucking cool". So glad I gave other companies a shot before leaving for good. What a ride.

MC Safety

The Corey Graves shit with Mandy Rose is exhausting and desperate. He need to cut that shit out.

He did that with Eva Marie, too. I guess it's part of his character.

There was also a pay per view where Graves mercilessly tormented Renee Young about Dean Ambrose and her relationship with him. I'm not sure if Graves was prompted to say the stuff he did, but it was a genuine awkward moment. Young isn't very good with retorts, so the commentary was pretty much unopposed and, thus, all the more noticeable. Finally Michael Cole stepped in and told Graves to stop.

I like Graves as a color guy. But he does go overboard. Restraint would serve him well.

Dthomp

There was also a pay per view where Graves mercilessly tormented Renee Young about Dean Ambrose and her relationship with him. I'm not sure if Graves was prompted to say the stuff he did, but it was a genuine awkward moment. Young isn't very good with retorts, so the commentary was pretty much unopposed and, thus, all the more noticeable. Finally Michael Cole stepped in and told Graves to stop.

I like Graves as a color guy. But he does go overboard. Restraint would serve him well.

That tormenting I would almost 100% guarantee is being egged on through his headset by Vince and Co. Lets not pretend cause it's a "new era" and what have you that this isn't the same company that loves bullying (Ironic isn't it #Beastar). The stuff with Graves and Cole always bringing it up just makes her come across like an idiot.

I will say though Graves IS able to be a great announcer, loved him in NXT and you need somebody like him to offset that dumbass Byron on SD. He has more wrestling knowledge and really has the ability to verbalize it better then anybody outside of Mauro (who himself has become super annoying). In a perfect world Graves would man a two man booth with Nigel and we'd all win

DKehoe

A problem with the current WWE commentators is they often don't know when tone it down when it comes to their own bickering. There's times where it seems they are just trying to score points against each other and get distracted from their actual job which should be getting the actual product over. Corey can be quick witted at times but that also leads to him always wanting to get the last word in as a point of pride. The heel commentator shouldn't make the face one look stupid. The face commentators need credibility to be able to sell things to the audience. Guys like Bobby Heenan or Jesse Ventura would get in clever lines but they'd always verbally "sell" for a face commentator like Gorilla Monsoon. It's like Graves has watched a lot of those guys, as he should, but didn't quite learn that lesson.

MC Safety

That tormenting I would almost 100% guarantee is being egged on through his headset by Vince and Co. Lets not pretend cause it's a "new era" and what have you that this isn't the same company that loves bullying (Ironic isn't it #Beastar). The stuff with Graves and Cole always bringing it up just makes her come across like an idiot.

I will say though Graves IS able to be a great announcer, loved him in NXT and you need somebody like him to offset that dumbass Byron on SD. He has more wrestling knowledge and really has the ability to verbalize it better then anybody outside of Mauro (who himself has become super annoying). In a perfect world Graves would man a two man booth with Nigel and we'd all win

Be a star was particularly impressive when Stephanie McMahon physically assaulted Tom Phillips. I remember thinking she really laid into him.

I can totally see Corey Graves being fed lines and egged on by the backstage agents who talk into the announcers' microphones.

The worst part about the commentating stuff is that we really have no idea how much of it is being fed to them by Vince and co. All we can do is speculate. Really frustrating.

Dthomp

The worst part about the commentating stuff is that we really have no idea how much of it is being fed to them by Vince and co. All we can do is speculate. Really frustrating.

If what you read and hear online, it would seem a lot more then ever needed is fed to them.

Also since we are talking commentators, I legit cringe and yell at the tv every single time Cole perks up to say “It’s boss time”. Ugh

If what you read and hear online, it would seem a lot more then ever needed is fed to them.

Also since we are talking commentators, I legit cringe and yell at the tv every single time Cole perks up to say “It’s boss time”. Ugh

Yeah I read a lot online about how the backstage staff are constantly in the commentators' ear, but we (the audience) have no way to know for sure. For all we know, it could be a convenient cover for commentators' gaffes.

Regarding Cole, it's kinda sad, because he can be a legit great commentator--his call when Mankind won the title is incredible (of course, this was nearly 20 years ago, so that may explain some things).

Dthomp

Yeah I read a lot online about how the backstage staff are constantly in the commentators' ear, but we (the audience) have no way to know for sure. For all we know, it could be a convenient cover for commentators' gaffes.

Regarding Cole, it's kinda sad, because he can be a legit great commentator--his call when Mankind won the title is incredible (of course, this was nearly 20 years ago, so that may explain some things).

You’re not wrong about Cole cause when he has done non Raw and PPV stuff he’s actually not bad at all. Vince and co. Are so worried bout promoting and social media speak that they forget how enjoyable just a well called match can be for the product. They should be making every superstar look amazing, but instead talk about whatever nonsense they are being fed.

Dthomp

I can just see Vince in his office thinking, "I know what'll fix the ratings, get me the Hulk damnit it's time!"

DKehoe

People need to get over this shit, you don't like it don't watch. Easy as that...

I’m not watching WWE’s weekly shows and this isn’t helping bring me back. People objecting to them bringing him back is pretty reasonable.

TrainedRage

Banned
Yup, great show. I was surprised how a lot of the matches were kept fairly short. But it meant the show moved along at quite a fast pace. Which match was your favourite?
I have not gotten through the entire thing yet. I thought the 'pre match' 3 man NEVER tournament was pretty cool. I feel like the 2 main events will be amazing. Im very excited to see NJPW coming to the US for more shows. Starting the G1 in America is a very cool idea.
The Ibushi vs. Osprey match was a great 'start' to the night.

Last edited:

DKehoe

I have not gotten through the entire thing yet. I thought the 'pre match' 3 man NEVER tournament was pretty cool. I feel like the 2 main events will be amazing. Im very excited to see NJPW coming to the US for more shows. Starting the G1 in America is a very cool idea.
The Ibushi vs. Osprey match was a great 'start' to the night.

Have you managed to avoid spoilers?

Top Bottom