• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

Dthomp

I’m not watching WWE’s weekly shows and this isn’t helping bring me back. People objecting to them bringing him back is pretty reasonable.

Fair enough, but I would guess a lot of people upset are already not watching the product. I mean we all know Vince is kind of a garbage human being and people still cheer him, nostalgia always wins in live arenas. We. All know Hogan appearances are just one offs anyway since he can barely move. This is just something to draw attention for a week, it’s that time of year

cryptoadam

Banned
So for NJPW fans whats the consensus on Switchblade Jay White? It seems like NJPW are really getting behind him with a big push as he set himself up to challenge Tanashi and beat Okada.

Is he the next big thing? or is he just overrated and NJPW is trying to force him into the role of next great white hope after Devitt, Styles, and Omega?

DKehoe

Fair enough, but I would guess a lot of people upset are already not watching the product. I mean we all know Vince is kind of a garbage human being and people still cheer him, nostalgia always wins in live arenas. We. All know Hogan appearances are just one offs anyway since he can barely move. This is just something to draw attention for a week, it’s that time of year

This is the thing I don’t get about bringing Hogan back. What’s he actually going to do for them? What’s he actually bringing to the table at this point? Just come out for the nostalgia pop to boost one week’s ratings? There’s nothing you can really do with him long term.

So for NJPW fans whats the consensus on Switchblade Jay White? It seems like NJPW are really getting behind him with a big push as he set himself up to challenge Tanashi and beat Okada.

Is he the next big thing? or is he just overrated and NJPW is trying to force him into the role of next great white hope after Devitt, Styles, and Omega?

He’s very good and seems to be getting more and more comfortable in himself. The Switchblade gimmick started off a little awkward for me and I wasn’t sure it was the right fit for him. The US show where he faced Juice Robinson is where it started to click for me and he’s just been getting better since then. Omega and Styles are an incredibly high standard for someone so only time will tell if he reaches that stage. But he’s still young with plenty of time to develop. And the company obviously believes in him. So I guess what I’m saying is if Omega does leave then White would be the natural choice for NJPW’s foreign top star.

cryptoadam

Banned
This is the thing I don’t get about bringing Hogan back. What’s he actually going to do for them? What’s he actually bringing to the table at this point? Just come out for the nostalgia pop to boost one week’s ratings? There’s nothing you can really do with him long term.

He’s very good and seems to be getting more and more comfortable in himself. The Switchblade gimmick started off a little awkward for me and I wasn’t sure it was the right fit for him. The US show where he faced Juice Robinson is where it started to click for me and he’s just been getting better since then. Omega and Styles are an incredibly high standard for someone so only time will tell if he reaches that stage. But he’s still young with plenty of time to develop. And the company obviously believes in him. So I guess what I’m saying is if Omega does leave then White would be the natural choice for NJPW’s foreign top star.

Since you mentioned him, what about Juice? I know he won the US title and he has been steadily getting more over in Japan over the past 2/3 years and has totally turned around his career from when he left NXT.

Could he be the next big Gajin for them?

I think Kenny is leaving wether its WWE or AEW. With White being position as the next big Gajin star, and that he lost the belt I think he is gone.

Will be interesting in 2 or 3 years White is being courted by WWE/AEW etc... to come over.

DKehoe

Since you mentioned him, what about Juice? I know he won the US title and he has been steadily getting more over in Japan over the past 2/3 years and has totally turned around his career from when he left NXT.

Could he be the next big Gajin for them?

I think Kenny is leaving wether its WWE or AEW. With White being position as the next big Gajin star, and that he lost the belt I think he is gone.

Will be interesting in 2 or 3 years White is being courted by WWE/AEW etc... to come over.

Juice is an interesting one. As you said he’s really come on leaps and bounds since leaving WWE. His big strength is his promos, you can see the influence of Dusty in them. They aren’t the type of promos WWE likes because they aren’t tightly scripted. It’s the territory style where a guy gets handed a mic and just goes off the top of his head. So they feel a lot more natural. But I’m also not sure how far being a strong promo in English gets you when the majority of your audience doesn’t understand English. He’s solid in the ring but not spectacular so I don’t see him being Heavyweight champion any time soon. But he is steadily improving so in a few years time you never know.

I know there’s talk that Omega could be going to WWE but I think it would be a odd move for him at this point. If he his planning on leaving New Japan, his friends are starting their own company and have some serious money behind them. If you want to do something different why not go with that? The talk is the deals they are offering are pretty comparable to WWE’s. He talks a lot about wanting to change the wrestling industry, helping to define what AEW is would be the better opportunity to do that. I would guess that his ideal might be getting to work both NJPW and AEW. So we will have to see if those guys can work out a deal.

cryptoadam

Banned
Juice is an interesting one. As you said he’s really come on leaps and bounds since leaving WWE. His big strength is his promos, you can see the influence of Dusty in them. They aren’t the type of promos WWE likes because they aren’t tightly scripted. It’s the territory style where a guy gets handed a mic and just goes off the top of his head. So they feel a lot more natural. But I’m also not sure how far being a strong promo in English gets you when the majority of your audience doesn’t understand English. He’s solid in the ring but not spectacular so I don’t see him being Heavyweight champion any time soon. But he is steadily improving so in a few years time you never know.

As odd as it may sound and I know Juice probably remembers his time there, I can see him going back to WWE/NXT (or AEW if its really a thing) sometime in the future. Like you said I think he has a ceiling in NJPW so coming back to the US would make sense. At one point he will become one of those "hottest free agents" guys and he can cash in. But probably like 2/3 years from now.

I know there’s talk that Omega could be going to WWE but I think it would be a odd move for him at this point. If he his planning on leaving New Japan, his friends are starting their own company and have some serious money behind them. If you want to do something different why not go with that? The talk is the deals they are offering are pretty comparable to WWE’s. He talks a lot about wanting to change the wrestling industry, helping to define what AEW is would be the better opportunity to do that. I would guess that his ideal might be getting to work both NJPW and AEW. So we will have to see if those guys can work out a deal.

Just piecing it together from rumours and whats been going on the last few months. There were some rumors that WWE offered hiim double what they offered the YB. Then another rumor that YB and Cody got 7 figure offers. And the latest rumor is WWE is going hard on Omega and offered him 3.5. Now these are all rumors and not trustworthy but if I put them all together I think that WWE did make Kenny a big money offer. If its not 3.5 Million then its at least above 1 million and probably even 2 million.

The fact that basically all Kenny talk has gone ghost over the last few months. Meltz never really talks about him when he talks about AEW. Kenny is always absent, but YB and Cody and SCU and Page and Brandi etc are all there. Even with AEW announced we didn't see any Kenny, but a lot of other guys. NJPW announced that Tanashi resigned his contract, but nothing about Kenny. And again no rumors either about how he is resinging or whatever, no news really. You can say its because he is keeping a low profile or didn't want to spoil WK or wants to let his contract run out which could all be true. Just for me it adds up more that he isn't going to be involved. Outside the WWE Omega is the biggest star if I was hyping up a new promotion I would have him more front and center, or at least be feeding lots of rumors about his involvement. It just makes me thing its being downplayed because he isn't coming there. Its possible that on the 8th he shows up or after the 31st he announces he is staying in NJPW or signed in AEW but thats not the feeling I am getting.

And why would he go to WWE? First off money. If its really close to 3.5 Mill a year you can't say no. I don't care how much of a mark you are thats serious money. Second off we all thing AEW will be a huge sucsess, but it could be WWA or XWF. In 2/3 years the company might not even be around. And the WWE is still the big show. Its desperate for main eventers right now we don't know if or when Reigns will ever come back. If they are going to pay him a huge salary they are going to use him. So he can have a chance to main event a WM in front of 90K + fans. A chance to win a Rumble or Money in the Bank. A chance to get into the WWE hall of fame. And he can wrestle some of the best wrestlers in the world that he hasn't wrestled before or at least in years. Going to AEW will just more of the same match ups he has had over the past 3-4 years. After a 3 year WWE career he can jump to AEW if its still around.

Dthomp

I’m in the same boat as cryptoadam cryptoadam on Kenny. If he gets offered that kind of bank how do you pass that up? With AEW to use as leverage along with ROH Kenny is in a unique position to name his price, because IF AEW can get going and take off you sure don’t want to have handed them arguably the best wrestler today. I’m not sure if there is any way for him to get something in his contact to prevent the usual being buried on the way in WWE loves doing with main roster Indy guys, I would bring him in, strap the rocket and go to town with him.

AEW is probably the safety net, but if he goes there what does he do for the next year? Does he feud with Cody in the main event? Cause that doesn’t get me excited, is there anybody else who is rumored to be there to challenge him on that kind of level. I love the elite guys, but can their gimmick hold up to weekly? Programming? Cause as much as I love wrestling you still need motivations for these matches to happen and I don’t need to see the same matches they’ve done over the last three years.

Wwe offers the chance to see Kenny’s AJ, Bryan, Shinsuke, Adam “didn’t I kill you?” Cole, Brock? Among many many others. I don’t trust Vince with him at all, but if he can get some super hhh protection and some guarantees in his contract could be fun. I will miss his epic nipw theme however. Pay any cost and keep his epic theme

cryptoadam

Banned
I’m in the same boat as cryptoadam cryptoadam on Kenny. If he gets offered that kind of bank how do you pass that up? With AEW to use as leverage along with ROH Kenny is in a unique position to name his price, because IF AEW can get going and take off you sure don’t want to have handed them arguably the best wrestler today. I’m not sure if there is any way for him to get something in his contact to prevent the usual being buried on the way in WWE loves doing with main roster Indy guys, I would bring him in, strap the rocket and go to town with him.

AEW is probably the safety net, but if he goes there what does he do for the next year? Does he feud with Cody in the main event? Cause that doesn’t get me excited, is there anybody else who is rumored to be there to challenge him on that kind of level. I love the elite guys, but can their gimmick hold up to weekly? Programming? Cause as much as I love wrestling you still need motivations for these matches to happen and I don’t need to see the same matches they’ve done over the last three years.

Wwe offers the chance to see Kenny’s AJ, Bryan, Shinsuke, Adam “didn’t I kill you?” Cole, Brock? Among many many others. I don’t trust Vince with him at all, but if he can get some super hhh protection and some guarantees in his contract could be fun. I will miss his epic nipw theme however. Pay any cost and keep his epic theme

If I was him I would get a WWE title run and a WM "main event" guarantee in the contract. If he goes to AEW he will just fight Elite guys and whoever jumps from ROH. I think he has ran through most of the top indy talent. Seeing him against top WWE talent there are so many new and fresh match ups for him.

Bullet Club

OB4jIKV.jpg

If he appears in the Royal Rumble the place will go off.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Last edited:

Dthomp

If I was him I would get a WWE title run and a WM "main event" guarantee in the contract. If he goes to AEW he will just fight Elite guys and whoever jumps from ROH. I think he has ran through most of the top indy talent. Seeing him against top WWE talent there are so many new and fresh match ups for him.
OB4jIKV.jpg

If he appears in the Royal Rumble the place will go off.

Doesn’t help that I’m old and jaded, but I don’t think I’ve legit lost my shit and popped since Bryan won the title at wm30 and I think I would legit lose it for Kenny in the rumble. Now if they could secure that epic theme too? I might die

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Wow been watching the stuff about the golden lovers on dailymotion and YouTube. Such an intricate and layered story told over many years. Also had call to other people’s moves and stuff. The use of social media between Kenny and Kota, it’s amazing I don’t think wwe could ever do a story like justice or without being too hamfisted.
Also just became a fan of Kenny omega recently through internet buzz (what culture helped) he is an amazing wrestler.

I do think him and Ibushi are/had been lovers in real life.

They also remind me of ken and Ryu always pushing each other

Last edited:

DKehoe

I guess Kushida won't make the rumble if his last day is the 31st. I wonder if AEW made a bid?

In his announcement that he was leaving he mentioned wanting to travel the world in the next stage of his career. That would hint that he’s going to WWE since I wouldn't expect AEW to be immediately touring worldwide.

Bullet Club

According to Meltzer, no creative control was in WWE's offer to Kenny.

Also NJPW are sticking with ROH. No deal with AEW, for now at least.

Last edited:

Bullet Club

The tampon spot is starting to get posted on mainstream news sites like Yahoo. Priscilla is getting some publicity out of it, the other girl not so much.

Dthomp

According to Meltzer, no creative control was in WWE's offer to Kenny.

Also NJPW are sticking with ROH. No deal with AEW, for now at least.

If I'm Kenny I hold out on the creative control card. Like I said before, he's the hottest dude in wrestling and it's not even close. Every fed will want Kenny, and he doesn't seem anywhere near a POS like Hogan/Nash and others who used it to never put over other dudes. But with the WWEs track record with indy talent I wouldn't go there without knowing I have some control over the direction I go in.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
If I'm Kenny I hold out on the creative control card. Like I said before, he's the hottest dude in wrestling and it's not even close. Every fed will want Kenny, and he doesn't seem anywhere near a POS like Hogan/Nash and others who used it to never put over other dudes. But with the WWEs track record with indy talent I wouldn't go there without knowing I have some control over the direction I go in.

If I knew my friends had that kind of backing I would go to AEW poach some NJPW guys and make sure to keep bridges open between them and also ROH try and create and alliance between all and most of all have a blast doing it

Dthomp

If I knew my friends had that kind of backing I would go to AEW poach some NJPW guys and make sure to keep bridges open between them and also ROH try and create and alliance between all and most of all have a blast doing it

While this is true, it doesn’t seem like AJ hasn’t had the time of his life in WWE. We are talking about potentially main eventing WrestleMania, and it’s going to be a long while before AEW offers anything that will feel half that huge for a superstar. I hope they succeed, but I feel that Kenny being 35 could waste prime years being awes version of tna AJ. If he goes there and they fail or just kind of exist his value is dropped to having no leverage. Take advantage now, sign something like a 3yr deal with some guarantees of title reigns and a main event slot and if AEW gets its footing you have the chance to go there as an even bigger star who conquered NJPW and WWE.

Dthomp

Also I am curious how far 100 million startup is going to go, since if Cody, bucks, and Page all turned down likely 1 million dollar deals you know they got at least that there. Goldberg, Jericho, and JR are also likely not cheap. No idea how much all the production, staffing, venue? Are going to cost

The tampon spot is starting to get posted on mainstream news sites like Yahoo. Priscilla is getting some publicity out of it, the other girl not so much.

It helps that Priscilla is a gorgeous woman. Maybe not the most talented worker, but a great character. And isn't ridiculous/larger-than-life characters what wrestling is all about?

Speaking of WWE, I honestly can't wait for Adam Cole to come up to the main roster. In my opinion, what a wrestler needs to get over on the main roster (which they can control, anyway) are:

1. A catchphrase--to me, this is the most important part, unironically. One might argue this is a chicken-or-egg phenomenon, but I believe a catchy phrase indelibly sears you into the audience's consciousness.
2. A defining characteristic
3. At least a semi-decent work rate and wrestling skill
4. Vinnie Mac's favor

Cole's got 1 (Seriously, can you imagine the BAYBAY chants on the main roster?), 2 (I have never seen a better shit-eating grin in the wrestling world), and 3. 4's a crapshoot, tbh.

Dthomp

Speaking of WWE, I honestly can't wait for Adam Cole to come up to the main roster. In my opinion, what a wrestler needs to get over on the main roster (which they can control, anyway) are:

1. A catchphrase--to me, this is the most important part, unironically. One might argue this is a chicken-or-egg phenomenon, but I believe a catchy phrase indelibly sears you into the audience's consciousness.
4. Vinnie Mac's favor

Cole's got 1 (Seriously, can you imagine the BAYBAY chants on the main roster?), 2 (I have never seen a better shit-eating grin in the wrestling world), and 3. 4's a crapshoot, tbh.

Yep, Adam Cole is everything great about a young HBK minus the stupid ego and drug problems, but with that epic catch phrase. Sky is the limit for him as long as Vince ignores his size. Guy is the total package, and is still really young I believe

cryptoadam

Banned

4. Vinnie Mac's favor

I think this upcoming class of NXT has some good chances of guys going far.

Richochet, Dream, Black, Lee, Riddle along with Adam Cole I think have a chance to get past the bad main roster booking.

I don't have much faith for Lars/EC3. I think Lacey Evans is going to go pretty far on the main roster.

All though the next big Superstar to come out of NXT is going to be Shayna Bazler.

Dthomp

Lacey is an interesting one, and I love her character. However WWE seems to struggle with female characters and just kind of throws most women out there without a lot of thought to why. Plus she’s a heel, so if she goes to raw she just turns into either fodder for Ronda, or gets paired up with an awful partner like Dana since everybody is pairing off and who can she feud with and win for female faces on Raw? Can’t see her coming up and beating Sasha or Bayley...and for the life of me I can’t think of another face on Raw.

SD is likely her destination with more lower to midcard females like Mella and Naomi. If she develops a bit more there should be opportunities for a heel if Becky goes to Raw.

This batch of call ups is just set for failures across the board. Lars I think goes to Raw but either way, he’s super generic and at very best could maybe challenge for a midcard title before becoming tag team fodder.

Heavy Machinery? Who cares? Terrible in nxt probably also to Raw since there is more room for face teams there. Won’t matter, they will be Ascension level bad soon enoug.

Nikki? She’s going back to Sanity I assume...and I mean, when have they even mattered?

EC3 I just don’t get it. I can’t stand his promos, hate his gimmick, none of these in a good he’s a heel I hate him way. It’s like Xpac sucks hate/heat, the go away kind. He likely gets an initial push in the midcard picture, but I think he quickly hits that no reaction at all until it’s just bad heat.

Dthomp

Ah yes, it wouldn’t be a Sasha Banks singles match without her almost killing herself or the opponent...

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Also I am curious how far 100 million startup is going to go, since if Cody, bucks, and Page all turned down likely 1 million dollar deals you know they got at least that there. Goldberg, Jericho, and JR are also likely not cheap. No idea how much all the production, staffing, venue? Are going to cost
I am interested in who approached who out of Khan or Rhodes. Is there a history or summary of how the business came to be

Dthomp

I am interested in who approached who out of Khan or Rhodes. Is there a history or summary of how the business came to be

Yeah I’d love to know the beginnings. If I guessed, I would guess that after All in that Kahn probably contacted Cody and went from there, but you never know.

Ah yes, it wouldn’t be a Sasha Banks singles match without her almost killing herself or the opponent...

You sure you ain't talking about Nia Jax? Although I do get a lot of my wrestling news through r/SquaredCircle, and they HATE Nia with a passion there.

It's not completely unjustified, but still.

I think this upcoming class of NXT has some good chances of guys going far.

Richochet, Dream, Black, Lee, Riddle along with Adam Cole I think have a chance to get past the bad main roster booking.

I don't have much faith for Lars/EC3. I think Lacey Evans is going to go pretty far on the main roster.

All though the next big Superstar to come out of NXT is going to be Shayna Bazler.

I am most worried about Ricochet out of them because WWE has flyers out the wazoo but can't do a thing with them. They had PAC for Christ's sake, and fucked that up.

I will say, though, that haven't kept up with his work in NXT other than his in-ring prowess. How has he been out of the ring (promos, character, etc.?)

And personally, I want to see Gargano up after he concludes his arc with Ciampa. So talented.

Bullet Club

According to Dave, it's looking like Kenny will be going to AEW. NJPW are pretty desperate to still have him wrestle for them so there might be a NJPW/AEW deal done.

Juice Robinson, Chase Evans and Rocky Romero have re-signed with NJPW.

Highspots have put the Priscilla Kelly Diva Diaries up on Youtube.

Alright, someone tell me why I should watch Impact.

w1pXqmS.jpg

Glad we are finally hearing from the Khan family:

https://rajah.com/node/shad-khan-tony-khan-issue-statements-all-elite-wrestling-aew

[
SHAD KHAN STATEMENT ON AEW, Tuesday, January 8, 2019

I am the lead investor, a supporter and a backer of All Elite Wrestling, and I anticipate great things today and into the future for AEW and everyone who has worked passionately on this week’s launch. I know AEW will be welcomed by wrestling fans here in the U.S. and throughout the world who are ready for something new and authentic. AEW will work hard to deliver on that promise.

As important, I am the father – the proud father – of Tony Khan, who will serve in a leadership role at AEW during the 2019 launch and in the years ahead. Tony will assemble a great team to take AEW over the top, for the benefit of everyone who loves the wrestling industry, while continuing to serve in his current capacities with the Jaguars and Fulham.

AEW will operate as an organization completely independently from my other interests. It will not deter attention or divert resources from any of my businesses, teams, projects or investments. At the same time, AEW will enjoy the same full commitment I given to everything and everyone in my life – my family and friends, my business and, in recent years, to sports, hospitality and now entertainment.

TONY KHAN STATEMENT ON AEW, Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Wrestling fans are a community unlike most others. I’ve been a part of this community since I was 7 years old, and I can tell you that wresting fans see the world every day through a special lens. We see wrestling in Hollywood films and tv shows, we see elements of wrestling in the presentation of sports and in the marketing of grandiose star athletes, and we certainly see wrestling in politics.

The wrestling community is a constant; its members are diverse, we are physically located on all corners of the planet, yet we are constantly connected. Recently, a new family has formed, bonded by love and respect for wresting but armed with a vision and resources that have never before been available to the wrestling community. Our objective is to connect our community closer than ever before through All Elite Wrestling, or AEW.

AEW does not mean any less of a continued commitment to existing obligations and duties that I have, or my family has, to our business and sports interests. That will never be the case. What’s important is that every individual decision we make as family, whether it’s ownership or investment in a team or property, is 100 percent beneficial to those specific interests. I will always welcome that accountability and responsibility, as nothing is more important than serving our supporters and friends.

AEW will launch with a roster of the top wrestlers in the world. While they’ll clash in what will be some of the most intense and fast-paced contests ever sanctioned in the squared circle, they’ll also share a common goal: to make this the true golden age, to make this the greatest time ever to be a wrestling fan. Likewise, as a business, by treating our wrestlers with respect and warmth, we also seek to make this the golden age for the performers themselves.

I urge everyone who believes in what we’re doing, or wants to believe in dreams coming true, to support AEW by spreading the word and passing the wrestling bug onto someone else. My message: Get in on the ground floor with AEW today and help lead our movement to grow the wrestling community and ensure that the voices of the wrestling fans, their creative minds and their remarkable ideas, will always be heard.

AEW LINKS:

* @AEWrestling (Twitter)
* All Elite Wrestling on Instagram
* All Elite Wrestling on Facebook

cryptoadam

Banned
I am most worried about Ricochet out of them because WWE has flyers out the wazoo but can't do a thing with them. They had PAC for Christ's sake, and fucked that up.

I will say, though, that haven't kept up with his work in NXT other than his in-ring prowess. How has he been out of the ring (promos, character, etc.?)

And personally, I want to see Gargano up after he concludes his arc with Ciampa. So talented.

I think Richochet just has enough of an IT factor to connect with the audience, and they have really presented him well in NXT. Out of the ring his promos have been OK but I can see him growing into, but I think the way he carries himself says star all over it. He also has an amazing theme and its being played in sports Arenas already. Richochet has much more charisma and a way better look than PAC.

I won't count Gargano out, but I think his size will be an issue. But this guy is just a star so I expect him to scratch and claw his way on the main roster and at a point the auidence will just be too behind him.

Ciampa is someone I am very high on. I think he has all the tools to go far and is an amazing heel. And he also has a kick ass theme too, his theme says Main eventer to me.

Top Bottom