• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Founder - PS4 Wins The Console War 'By A Nose'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Portugeezer

Mehmet_Ozyurek_-_Biggest_nose_03.jpg

I don't think it's that far-fetched.

Things are never set in stone, I agree with him, there's still a lot that can change over the course of the generation especially with new emergent technology such as AR and VR and with Microsoft's Windows 10 platform as a universal app platform, assuming those are going to play a big factor in Xbox One.

On the other hand, PS4 also has VR with Morpheus and Sony is also doing R&D in AR (not related to PlayStation though).

I just mean that there's a lot of factors that can change the trends over the course of a generation (a couple of years, ~5 years)

Sure a meteor could stroke Sony HQ! Nothing is for sure! /s

DBT85

I guess history could repeat itself in mirror image and I suspect that's what MS and their fans hope for.

PS3 came out later with a large sales gap.

It contained hardware no-one was committed to (Blu-Ray)

Sony made comments that were unpopular with gamers (We could put a brick in a box and still sell 5 mil if it had the PS logo. Gamers will get a second job to buy the PS3. (paraphrase)

PS3 was more expensive on release.

They turned that train wreck around by the end of the generation, maybe MS can as well if they have a new team with a new vision?

Signed an Ex X360 owner who moved to PS4 this gen.

You are missing the point that, launch aligned, the PS3 still sold more than the 360. continually. Even after all those fuckups.

This time, Sony got it right and MS had the fuckups, and lo, a near 2:1 sales ratio.

It's never coming back in this gen.

Sony were behind in total sales because of a launch date gap of, in some important markets, 16 months. That doesn't exist this time.

Darksol

I guess history could repeat itself in mirror image and I suspect that's what MS and their fans hope for.

PS3 came out later with a large sales gap.

It contained hardware no-one was committed to (Blu-Ray)

Sony made comments that were unpopular with gamers (We could put a brick in a box and still sell 5 mil if it had the PS logo. Gamers will get a second job to buy the PS3. (paraphrase)

PS3 was more expensive on release.

They turned that train wreck around by the end of the generation, maybe MS can as well if they have a new team with a new vision?

Signed an Ex X360 owner who moved to PS4 this gen.

Sony made up the loss of sales in the US and UK by taking the rest of the world. This time around Sony is still leading in the rest of the world, as well as the US and UK.

Personally, I like the position ms is in because it means more varied and interesting 1st party support, which we've been seeing in games like sunset overdrive and ori. I know people don't want to hear it, but I think that Microsoft will be a lot like Sony was last gen, they will need to prove themselves through first party support, and move past a lot of ill will, I'm not just referring to sales either.

Signed, a very happy Xbox one owner.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Personally, I like the position ms is in because it means more varied and interesting 1st party support, which we've been seeing in games like sunset overdrive and ori. I know people don't want to hear it, but I think that Microsoft will be a lot like Sony was last gen, they will need to prove themselves through first party support, and move past a lot of ill will, I'm not just referring to sales either.

Sunset overdrive is not 1st party unless microsoft bought Insomniac who owns the IP

wapplew

Let's hope there will be no "Kinect" phenomenon that make MS lost focus on first party and games this time.

Abdiel

People don't want to hear it? What? What is this supposed to mean? How do people not want to hear that Microsoft will expand their first party development? That's them investing in new things, expanding the market.

What people historically have an issue with is things like the tomb raider thing, delaying an established franchise from other platforms. Neither company is free from these concerns, such as the street fighter v thing, though the exact nature of that is very much obfuscated.

Please stop with the persecution bit. I'm happy you're happy with your system, and I'm glad MS seems to be looking to grow more first party stuff, and I don't think anyone in this thread is bashing on their attempts to grow in that way.

Let me start by saying that I own the Sunset Overdrive bundle, but I don't get the hype of Sunset, if you compare it to Infamous and such.Those games are cast aside with the "ps4 has no games" mantra, but Sunset gets hyped like crazy. It's a decent game, not great. At least to me the voice acting and gameplay got boring fast. I love searching for stuff in open world games but didn't even bother this time. Just a very average, cute looking game. So just like many Sony 1st party games this gen.

And expecting a company to "prove themselves" in 1st party support when they have never done it, while they continue to buy DLC's and timed exclusives is just foolish. Sony has a loooong track record of making 1st party games, especially at the end of the generation. MS has no history of doing so. Don't know how they pull it off now. All they can do is hang in there in the U.S. and UK. Europe and rest of the world? No chance.

Yeah, except maybe in the first year where they seem neck and neck based on this:

3_zps1pb5ns1k.jpg

I don't know why the popular opinion seems to be that PS3 only turned it around at the end of the generation, when the fact is that launch aligned it outsold 360 the whole time.

Edit: And if the first years of PS3 were a "trainwreck" to quote cgaduck, what is Xbox One then, when it seems to be on its way to track behind PS3 in a month or two?

To be fair, I think a lot of the perception around the PS3 was due to expectations from the PS2 domination. I thought the first party software was pretty much always great, but there were certainly a number of ways in which it lacked behind the 360.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

Neither of are first party. So far they have given you Forza and a Halo remaster.

wapplew

Neither of are first party. So far they have given you Forza and a Halo remaster.

First party or not, you have to admit that MS are very good at picking up projects and hire great studios on such project.
Ori, KI, FH2, and future title from Platinum, they have fund great games and provide lots of variety this gen. They are on the right track to success.

People don't want to hear it? What? What is this supposed to mean? How do people not want to hear that Microsoft will expand their first party development? That's them investing in new things, expanding the market.

What people historically have an issue with is things like the tomb raider thing, delaying an established franchise from other platforms. Neither company is free from these concerns, such as the street fighter v thing, though the exact nature of that is very much obfuscated.

Please stop with the persecution bit. I'm happy you're happy with your system, and I'm glad MS seems to be looking to grow more first party stuff, and I don't think anyone in this thread is bashing on their attempts to grow in that way.

I apologize if I seemed like I was generalizing

Mendax

First party or not, you have to admit that MS are very good at picking up projects and hire great studios on such project.
Ori, KI, FH2, and future title from Platinum, they have fund great games and provide lots of variety this gen. They are on the right track to success.

meh. they are diversifying their library a bit, (for the first time since they entered this business). Good for existing bone owners but games like that dont make or break a console's success.

Hope this will last And they will not abandon the One like the 360.

Oh my bad, I guess the Microsoft studios logo before the game starts just made me assume that they were, or at least published by Microsoft, I'm not doubting that insomniac owns the ssod ip.

Circinus

Update the list to reflect the magnitude.
gysfeyrsdwaw.jpg

For your information, I think Raven's Cry is on PC as well. (has been critically panned by the way)

Also, if it reflects magnitude I would make Ratchet & Clank at least half as big as Halo 5. ^.^ (and maybe Bloodborne and Tearaway Unfolded half as big as Ratchet & Clank). And I would remove those Japanese games with weird, cluttered box arts.

And FF X + FFX-2 is also only on PlayStation I think, as of now, at least.

Sure a meteor could stroke Sony HQ! Nothing is for sure! /s

You probably mean an asteroid or meteorite (which is the remain of an asteroid or meteroid after impact on earth).

But that's in a completly different order of magnitude if we're talking about the probability of that happening versus the probability of Microsoft increasing the appeal and marketing of Xbox One towards mainstream consumers (Minecraft 2 being only on XB1 and Windows 10 for example, AR HoloLens taking off and having some sort of XB1 connectivity that makes XB1 more appealing to mainstream consumers).

I mean the soonest large near-earth asteroid that has a chance of crashing onto earth, is Apophis in 2029 and 2034 or something. I think the likelihood of Apophis crashing onto earth was estimated at less than 1%. A large asteroid landing right into Sony HQ within the next decade would be like a 0.0000000000000000001% probability. So luckily it is pretty much negligible.

On the other hand, for PS4 and XB1 there are still a lot of unpredictable factors (not necessarily with low probability) that could affect the sales of PS4 and XB1. You never know, maybe Microsoft Studios will acquire a large studio and a large IP or something that could potentially have a significant effect on XB1 sales. Then there's AR, VR etc.

Abdiel

I apologize if I seemed like I was generalizing

It's all good, just... Creating a narrative that most of us want MS to fail or are against them creating their own new ip our building on the ones they own is just really toxic, to everyone.

Personally, I'm disappointed that they've done nothing with the mechwarrior license and ip. I'm not really into most of MS's big franchises, but I know they have fans, and I don't want them to lose out on those.

Fun facts! She's also a thug that drunkenly assaulted a toilet attendant in a nightclub, and her whole arse is one massive rose bush tattoo!

She's basically like a princess!

I was wondering why someone would do that but then I saw pics of her old tattoos. It's a cover-up job. Looks better than the old tramp stamp+. Bad decisions.

Trojan

I was wondering why someone would do that but then I saw pics of her old tattoos. It's a cover-up job. Looks better than the old tramp stamp+. Bad decisions.

Fun facts! She's also a thug that drunkenly assaulted a toilet attendant in a nightclub, and her whole arse is one massive rose bush tattoo!

She's basically like a princess!

Just googled "Cheryl Cole butt tattoo" o_O that thing is massive

Kssio_Aug

I dont know why some Xbox threads causes this kind of joke reactions in a chain, that keeps going. I just dont find them fun (as I would not in a PS4 thread with the same kind of reactions).

FranXico

I dont know why some Xbox threads causes this kind of joke reactions in a chain, that keeps going. I just dont find them fun (as I would not in a PS4 thread with the same kind of reactions).

For the same reason PS3 threads used to cause a similar kind of joke reaction some years ago.

2thepoint

If you read the interview, you'd understand why the reactions are there, and also why they are so funny.

We don't control what comes out of the mouth's of former, or present Xbox executives.

Nobody nose why people related to Xbox seem to always come out with thread worthy quotes.

It's just snot fair.

If you read the interview, you'd understand why the reactions are there, and also why they are so funny.

We don't control what comes out of the mouth's of former, or present Xbox executives.

Nobody nose why people related to Xbox seem to always come out with thread worthy quotes.

It's just snot fair.

8/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom