• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live integration coming to Nintendo Switch with Cuphead

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/03...x-program-for-developers/#54OCIMiTYXYf6HMX.99

As with most new technologies, we love to work with partners to help us explore new innovations we’re bringing to developers. That brings us to Cuphead! Our friends at StudioMDHR already have experience with Xbox Live beyond the console – Cuphead is available on Windows 10 with Xbox Live as well. We’ve had some good conversations with them about Xbox Live and the gaming community, especially after we saw what Mojang had done with Minecraft and the Bedrock Edition.

Growing out of these recent discussions, we are partnering with StudioMDHR to investigate bringing Xbox Live features beyond Xbox and PC to Nintendo Switch. Yes, this means that fans will now have the opportunity to experience StudioMDHR’s award-winning debut game on Nintendo Switch with Xbox Live! We’ll be working with StudioMDHR to implement Xbox Live features into Cuphead on the Nintendo Switch in the coming months. Given the early stage of our work with StudioMDHR, the Xbox Live features will appear in a post-launch update to Cuphead on Nintendo Switch. We’d like to thank Studio MDHR and Nintendo for their help in this investigation!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Interesting! I guess that means you'll be able to earn Xbox achievements, as well as use Live for cross platform multiplayer, right?

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
I think when all is said and done that Live or Xbox games (streaming or not) will be a nice "get" for Switch owners.
Simply because you'll have access to a larger catalog that normally would have been impossible, Xbox games on the go.

Saber

I like the idea of bringing titles like Cuphead to Switch. But "Xbox live integration"? Nope, that sounds bad to me.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I like the idea of bringing titles like Cuphead to Switch. But "Xbox live integration"? Nope, that sounds bad to me.

It sounds like it'll be 100% optional. Especially since they're adding it in a post-release update.

Wait...why are we making a big deal about XBL integration on the Switch when it already exists for Minecraft on the Switch?

Wait...why are we making a big deal about XBL integration on the Switch when it already exists for Minecraft on the Switch?
because Minecraft needed it because the whole infrastructure is on XBL, crossplay would be hard to do without it.

this is the first game that will have it simply as an additional feature

DonF

Interesting. The game runs flawless in my work laptop, a 5 year old i5, so any new optimizations is overkill. Guess I'll put it on my switch wishlist.

leo-j

Microsoft is trying to make Xbl happen everywhere. The fact Nintendo is letting this happen doesn’t bold well for their future in online gaming. They might give the entire realm to Microsoft.

PSFan

So will you need a gold XBL account to use it on Switch? I have an account from when I had a 360, but I let the Gold run out because I don't play 360 anymore.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Microsoft is trying to make Xbl happen everywhere. The fact Nintendo is letting this happen doesn’t bold well for their future in online gaming. They might give the entire realm to Microsoft.
Good in my eyes. Let them fokus on single player and local multi player. In fact, even Nintendo's own online multiplayer games would probably profit from Xbox Live over Switch online.

CyberPanda

Banned
Good in my eyes. Let them fokus on single player and local multi player. In fact, even Nintendo's own online multiplayer games would probably profit from Xbox Live over Switch online.
Yep. Nintendo can let MS handle their online stuff.

Vawn

Banned
Of course you don’t. I’m shocked you would post this.

What are you on about?

Does it mean achievements? Seeing Xbox friends on your Switch? Cross play?

I obviously know what Xbox Live is, as I've owned every Xbox console and predominately played 360 the first half of last gen before the exclusives started drying up.

Last edited:

Codes 208

What are you on about?

Does it mean achievements? Seeing Xbox friends on your Switch? Cross play?

I obviously know what Xbox Live is, as I've owned every Xbox console and predominately played 360 the first half of last gen before the exclusives started drying up.
These two are already likely the biggest things we’ll see alongside possibly party chat (which the switch desperately needs)

Codes 208

Considering nintendo’s own crappy online infrastructure:

Good.

What if this is the start of a deal that sees Microsoft view the Switch as a portable arm of its business, and Nintendo reciprocates with digital versions of its games on the Microsoft store (with higher-resolution assets)?

Would folks have a problem with that, or would we be too busy enjoying Forza Switch or hunting achievements in Zelda: BotW XBO:X edition in 4K?

Last edited:
Top Bottom