• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

enewtabie

Really like my Xbox 1. I wish I could rate all of those videos or make a comment on them. I enjoy the activity feed,just wish I could do more with it.

Hawk269

I am not feeling good today and even in my congested, sickly voice, Kinect has been perfect for me. Just did:

Xbox On,
Xbox Watch TV,
Xbox Guide,
Page Up. Down etc. (Nothing good to watch on cable)
Xbox Go Home,
Netflix,
Next page,
Play The Hunt for Red October
Volume Up
and finally, Xbox Turn Off.

All without a hitch at all. Prior to this, used nothing but voice to check my notifications, checked out the Store then back to Watch TV. :::))))

Really like my Xbox 1. I wish I could rate all of those videos or make a comment on them. I enjoy the activity feed,just wish I could do more with it.

Yeah, they need some comment/feedback system for recorded gameplay clips because it is pretty flat in its current form. You can only check the number of views they have on the smartglass app.

Good writeup, though it's too bad you haven't experienced the XB1 in a traditional living room setting. Because it's always on I end up playing XB1 games a LOT. It's like a constant reminder that I need to play something. I like having access to my friends list and getting invites even while watching live TV. Skype is awesome too, because if I don't hear my phone ring my wife can just get me on my Kinect/Headset, hehe. I may actually get a bunch of multiplats on XB1 because of all of the integrated features and I'm even regretting getting AC4 on PS4 at this point. PS4 is a great console and I'll play it a ton, no doubt, but I really wish it had some of the features exclusive to XB1.

BTW, Sony didn't just kill the Dreamcast. They killed SEGA as we knew them. I have forgiven Sony... but I will never forget... unless Shenmue 3 happens.

The living room belongs to my wife, I am merely a visitor. I would complain, but I have a desk with two huge monitors, both next gen systems and a decent PC. So I keep my mouth shut :)

While I was initially amused by the voice commands, I feel like I've already returned to controller for most navigation. I just don't enjoy taking to my entertainment devices, and there are many situations where it just won't work well. If I've got people over I'm not going to ask for complete silence so I can yell out a voice command. I just reach for that cobtroller.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
While I was initially amused by the voice commands, I feel like I've already returned to controller for most navigation. I just don't enjoy taking to my entertainment devices, and there are many situations where it just won't work well. If I've got people over I'm not going to ask for complete silence so I can yell out a voice command. I just reach for that cobtroller.

Voice navigation works fine for me fine but it really isn't any faster at all.

For example I say Xbox On to turn it on but my controller is still off so it's not like I couldn't have just used the controller in the first place lol. Signing in with voice/camera is great though. Quick.

MarkusRJR

Yeah I share this opinion. I basically only use the voice stuff to turn on my Xbox/TV and play/pause videos. It's a shame the UI is messy when using a controller compared to the Xbox 360.

The living room belongs to my wife, I am merely a visitor. I would complain, but I have a desk with two huge monitors, both next gen systems and a decent PC. So I keep my mouth shut :)

You sir are ahead of the game in marriage. Happy wife is happy life.

You also just pushed me over the edge on getting a XboxOne. Once I purchase said unit of awesomeness I will post pictures and join the cult of next gen gaming...

Honestly did not see myself getting one but I really want Forza 5 and Dead Rising 3.

def sim

I like voice commands for a few things, mostly when watching or pausing video. I'd maybe use it more if it had a more flexible command system. Right now it's too rigid.

Razdek

Banned
I like voice commands for a few things, mostly when watching or pausing video. I'd maybe use it more if it had a more flexible command system. Right now it's too rigid.

If it gets to point where it's as flexible as Google Now it would be great but I agree it's too rigid. Maybe with enough time it will get there.

J_Lee

Banned
I have found me and Kinect just don't get along, I plugged it in for about 30 minutes yesterday, it took me 15 minutes to get to the channel I wanted it to switch to and I was pretty much done with it and put it back in the box. It was cool for navigation, but Kinect just couldn't understand what tv station I wanted to watch. I am happy with the games though Forza and Dead Rising is the only reason I got the xbone and both are great.

rjcc

man the experience when an app needs an update is the worst. I'm usually just using voice, launch an app and BAM

black screen you can't escape, can only use the controller to say "yes update"

Klocker

I put some thoughts together on both systems side by side. Don't read if you only want to hear good things (about either system...).

Click it if you're so inclined.

good read thanks

that said, either give your xbox one to the living room or get your wife one... assuming she watches tv from cable/sat, and or uses sound system or dvr, given some practice and refinement of os, xbox will make her living room more joyful, I predict. ;)

Cant believe the thread is going to be gone tomorrow. Its been a great place to get info and discuss stuff without having to deal with stuff that happens in other threads.

biRdy

I am not feeling good today and even in my congested, sickly voice, Kinect has been perfect for me. Just did:

Xbox On,
Xbox Watch TV,
Xbox Guide,
Page Up. Down etc. (Nothing good to watch on cable)
Xbox Go Home,
Netflix,
Next page,
Play The Hunt for Red October
Volume Up
and finally, Xbox Turn Off.

All without a hitch at all. Prior to this, used nothing but voice to check my notifications, checked out the Store then back to Watch TV. :::))))

Nice to see a good scenario to use only voice

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Cant believe the thread is going to be gone tomorrow. Its been a great place to get info and discuss stuff without having to deal with stuff that happens in other threads.

Definitely, I probably would never have played Max if it weren't for this thread.

2014 is going to be extremely important for the xbone. We'll get a better sense of how sales are, what indie and multiplat devs are jumping on board, the development state of anticipated blockbusters, the console will be released in Tier 2 countries, and lunchbox may or may not start posting again.

It's gonna be a crazy ride (a loco ride if you will), but I'm looking forward to riding it. Stay frosty and oscar mike onto 2014 to see Titanfall!

C Jones

I have found me and Kinect just don't get along, I plugged it in for about 30 minutes yesterday, it took me 15 minutes to get to the channel I wanted it to switch to and I was pretty much done with it and put it back in the box. It was cool for navigation, but Kinect just couldn't understand what tv station I wanted to watch. I am happy with the games though Forza and Dead Rising is the only reason I got the xbone and both are great.

I'm the opposite. I only turn on my controller when I'm going to play a game or if I need some kind of precision (editing videos). Everything else is voice or gestures. It's not perfect by any means, but good enough to the point where I never use my cable box remote anymore.

While I'm waiting for my new kinect... is there a controller equivilent to "xbox, record that?"

I tried saying it to my dead kinect when i saw a mini do a full endo in Forza but it didn't listen to me ><

I'd like to get back to DR3 and Ryse, but goddamn Forza is good. When it isn't asking me to buy car packs.

sangreal

While I'm waiting for my new kinect... is there a controller equivilent to "xbox, record that?"

I tried saying it to my dead kinect when i saw a mini do a full endo in Forza but it didn't listen to me ><

I'd like to get back to DR3 and Ryse, but goddamn Forza is good. When it isn't asking me to buy car packs.

not really... you can open the gamedvr and record the last 30 seconds to 5 minutes but that is not nearly as convenient

it turns the feature from really neat to janky

Open GameDVR app, "end this clip", then select how far back you wanna record

cool_dude

Banned
"Xbox on" is a life changer for me. I have a projector so it needs 25 seconds to warm up. I use the voice command as I come home from work, and by the time I sit down on the couch, I'm ready to game/watch TV. I voice snap Internet Explorer to bitcoinwisdom.com so I can track bitcoin trades in real time while driving in Forza. Next gen is here!

MrMephistoX

So I bought Killer Instinct and Crimson Dragon before the 26th and Max today. The offer says games purchased before the buy 3 promo still qualify but I didn't get any sort of notification indicating I qualified for 3 months of Gold...am I good or do I have to buy LocoCycle or something?

Thanks. That's basically how the ps4 is now, except it has 15 minutes. But I seriously hope they institute something like 'xbox record that' because most of the clips I tend to upload are short and funny. I don't need to post a whole round of a shooter where I got 6-10 - lol.

m23

That's the plan.
Not really seeing many suggestions for tiles, titles or general content though.

I don't know of any game releases in January. I think the Project Spark beta is the only noteworthy thing. Also Tomb Raider definitive edition.

Here's a tip from a year + in the vita thread (which I'm sure you guys noticed). The title always sucks. It might be kinda funny to some people, but in general is always sucks. Just pick something simple and go.

Phreaker

Before it's archived, just wanted to say I was here and am loving my Xbox One. I'd love it even more if Phantom Dust's reboot was announced for it. :)

Klocker

"Xbox on" is a life changer for me. I have a projector so it needs 25 seconds to warm up. I use the voice command as I come home from work, and by the time I sit down on the couch, I'm ready to game/watch TV. I voice snap Internet Explorer to bitcoinwisdom.com so I can track bitcoin trades in real time while driving in Forza. Next gen is here!

Yea. People who haven't really found how it could work for them in real time in their living space, don't quite get what the big deal is. Once you get the app snapping that works for you while playing a game (tuning and painting in forza while watching sports is mine) and figure how to manipulate your entertainment environment with voice, there's no looking back

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
So I bought Killer Instinct and Crimson Dragon before the 26th and Max today. The offer says games purchased before the buy 3 promo still qualify but I didn't get any sort of notification indicating I qualified for 3 months of Gold...am I good or do I have to buy LocoCycle or something?

Pretty much how it went down with me but I don't think they send you a message or anything until the 20th?

abracadaver

Yea. People who haven't really found how it could work for them in real time in their living space, don't quite get what the big deal is. Once you get the app snapping that works for you while playing a game (tuning and painting in forza while watching sports is mine) and figure how to manipulate your entertainment environment with voice, there's no looking back

Why not use the picture in picture mode of your TV ? A lot better than snapping because it doesnt waste 20% of the screen with forced black bars

rjcc

Why not use the picture in picture mode of your TV ? A lot better than snapping because it doesnt waste 20% of the screen with forced black bars

unless you live in Europe or use your TV's built-in tuner for OTA channels, this probably isn't an option at all, many/most TVs in the US don't even have it. from myperspective, having the voice control also makes it much more useful. I can snap a program or app without stopping what I'm doing. ymmv.

abracadaver

a) it covers up the game
b) do any tvs even do hdmi on hdmi PiP? if so, it is rare

also no sound

I rather cover up a small window of the game than shrink the entire game down. There is nothing interesting going on in the edge of the screen anyways. I put the PIP into a hud-free corner and thats it. Ive been using it for years. Game sound from receiver, tv sound from tv

abracadaver

unless you live in Europe or use your TV's built-in tuner for OTA channels, this probably isn't an option at all, many/most TVs in the US don't even have it. from myperspective, having the voice control also makes it much more useful. I can snap a program or app without stopping what I'm doing. ymmv.

Ok. Im europe its different then

sangreal

I rather cover up a small window of the game than shrink the entire game down. There is nothing interesting going on in the edge of the screen anyways. I put the PIP into a hud-free corner and thats it. Ive been using it for years. Game sound from receiver, tv sound from tv

to each their own I guess.I only use it for games I'm not paying a great deal of attention to anyway -- while grinding or collecting so I don't mind having it shrunk down. though again, this won't be an option for most people using hdmi from a stb

Klocker

Yes what was said above and can not do HDMI pic in pic and it's more than that. I can go from one to the other with voice and back again when a good scene ir part if game arises that I want to see n full screen. or to other snapped apps or games or info screens all with voice. Sure you "could" do a lot of things and in fact I used to use picture in picture with my games way back in 2003 and it sucks donkey balls compared to this

I have been waiting for years for this. Been gaming since 1980 and this is the perfect world for adult gamers who play when they can work it in to a busy schedule and love entertainment tech

as I said above, its hard to get the idea until you use it in your living space for a bit and see where it works for you

My Kinect came back in 9 days. Pretty fast. I was like you. Saying "Xbox record that" to the air as I shed a tear every time. I was not aware of any recording with the controller.

My new Kinect is working really well so far. The other one did too, so who knows. Hope this one last a long time.

mmitt

quick question about regional stuff :)

I did choose US at the setup because of the missing voice features in my country, and my profile is also set to US
can I redeem gift cards from EU countries now? or just cards which have the $ symbol on it?
I did use my credit card to add some funds and it says $ now, but I could get some &#8364;50 cards really cheap, would it convert it automatically or does it simply refuse? anyone tried that?

I know xbox live gold subscription cards/codes do work worldwide, curious about the currency

Top Bottom