• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox tweets out "our blacks at Xbox" in their GDC attempt at ideological pandering

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR

---

The phrasing is odd if you weren't aware that 'Blacks at Xbox' is a particular employee community the company initiated back in 2015.

Hello [customer], I am also aware of [important social issue] that is important to you, the [demographic].

My aim in highlighting this isn't to stir offense but to point out the silliness of this sort of pomp.

Always trust your corporate brands and feel [emotion] when viewing their advertisement!

Last edited:

Virex

Abrasive, but well-meaning
yay let's get outraged. Let's be outraged every day, all day for eternity.

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
It was formed and named by black people. Therefore nothing to see here, move along, etc, etc...

Of course, certain white people will take it upon themselves be outraged on their behalves. Resetera dickheads and the likes.

Last edited:

Verdanth

source.gif

mortal

Wtf Is it 1970? I wish companies would stop with this sort of pandering. It's patronizing as hell.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
There'll be a Voost Kain thread soon saying Sony are arrogant for not having "Blacks at Sony" and MS have the next gen won.

nkarafo

The pandering gets more and more transparent every day.

The lowest common denominator kind of pandering.

Fuzzee

Neo Member
"We're pro diversity! That's why we have a company subdivision specifically for Blacks!"
Racism is bad because it values / devalues people based on their skin color. Segregation, regardless of who's doing it or for what reason is racist, and setting up a racial based subdivision is the definition of segregation.

HeresJohnny

Just like everything else, it seems Microsoft thinks checking a box and saying "we have blacks" will somehow prevent them from being attacked by the SJW crowd. They may even think it'll sell some Xboxes. They're wrong on both counts. Holding black people up like some kind of collection is just as racist as holding them back for being black.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
"our Blacks at Xbox community"

"Blacks at Xbox" is the name of the community within Microsoft, created, named, and run by black people. There's nothing to see here.

This thread belongs in that other forum (which was raging about it two days ago, so it's not even timely).

Last edited:
I feel like this is the equivalent of howdoyoudofellowkids.gif.

Another big corporation making an attempt at championing inclusiveness and doing a poor job of it with questionable wording.

TLZ

"Blacks at Xbox" is the name of the community within Microsoft, created, named, and run by black people. There's nothing to see here.

This thread belongs in that other forum (which was raging about it two days ago, so it's not even timely).
Created by them or not, it sounds completely stupid.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR

I can tell you read the OP.

Personally, I think we should always take the opportunity to mock corporations who use valued social issues for a free PR sound bite.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Dear god ouch
Let's go microsoft! Don't stop now!
Where is that Xbox one Malcolm X special edition?
Xbox one Xzibit ?

Last edited:

Handy Fake

Well, as an unashamed Lefty Liberal, Sandal-wearing Tree-hugger I can confirm that this is very silly indeed.

Last edited:

Airola

I don't know which group this is supposed to trigger more, the "SJWs" or the "anti-SJWs" :messenger_dizzy::messenger_dizzy::messenger_dizzy::messenger_dizzy::messenger_dizzy:
Maybe both?

What I gather is that there is a thread about this on era and a thread about this on gaf where both are outraged criticizing it from two completely different angles? Like, some say this is another stupid case of pandering to certain people and others say that tweet is broderline racist? And the OP is looking at it from a third angle? Wut? I'm confused.

Microsoft likely didn't know who Jerry Lawson was until after he died like everyone else. Even then no one talks about him despite his involvement in putting out the modern console as we know it.

noqtic

That's an incredibly stupid name, even if it was named by black people they must have realized how that rolls off the tongue.

---

The phrasing is odd if you weren't aware that 'Blacks at Xbox' is a particular employee community the company initiated back in 2015.

Hello [customer], I am also aware of [important social issue] that is important to you, the [demographic].

My aim in highlighting this isn't to stir offense but to point out the silliness of this sort of pomp.

Always trust your corporate brands and feel [emotion] when viewing their advertisement!

In this image, why are all the men black and all the women white?

ZywyPL

Banned
I thought they will finally address the crushed blacks on their consoles when reading the thread title lol.

nikolino840

That's an incredibly stupid name, even if it was named by black people they must have realized how that rolls off the tongue.
Is Just a name for fun...maybe they are drunk... remind me and my Friends searching a name for a rock band.. nothing of political....no One can be fun or stupid?

Edit... theres Chinatown or Little Italy but can't be a blacks at Xbox? Is the First Time i saw this..but i found a funny name :D nothing of wrong or political...

Last edited:
I admit I had a good laugh when I saw the outrage thread about this in certain forum :D

It nicely fits into no matter what you do it's never enough for alt-left.

As for group itself - I don't know it seems weird to have racial groups inside corporation

Wimbledon

I feel like the Black group who created the name Blacks at Xbox could of come up with a better name.

I honestly think it sounds funny. Also the twitter feed/comment is exactly what i thought it was going to be.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
feel like the Tweet was just poorly written. it says "our Blacks at XBox community", making it sound like they capitalized Blacks and said "our Blacks". which sounds weird. like "binders of women". sounds like you are collecting people or something.

then you find out "Blacks at Xbox" is itself the name of the community, they weren't saying "our [company's black people]" but referring to a named group. maybe some quotation marks would have cleared the whole thing up.

Last edited:

Shifty

They sound like someone's racist granddad trying his best not to be racist.

"Eh, what? No, I love The Blacks!"

Last edited:

The Alien

Meh. If the Gillette razor add that shamed all of MANkind was a 10, I'd put this very low on the pandering scale.

How are peeps supposed to know about programs like this if they'd dont mention it in a 30+ word tweet?

(That name though)

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I don't see a problem with the tweet. There is a community of black people at Xbox and they gave out an award, nothing to see here. Sure we can discuss the merit of race based communities all day long (and how they are inherently racist), but this does not reflect poorly on MS in any way.

Owari

Most every company has groups like this for each minority group of people. Black, Asian, LGBTQ, Women, etc.

Straight white males don’t give a shit about having their own group, I guess. Or they don’t get one due to reasons.

There’s nothing offensive about the tweet, but at the same time, it’s also empty virtue signaling. Consumers care more about the quality of a company’s games than how many minorities it employs.

Top Bottom