• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox tweets out "our blacks at Xbox" in their GDC attempt at ideological pandering

Cattlyst

That name though. Imagine a diversity group at your place of work called 'Blacks at <insert company name>' - as a black person I'd literally run a mile from that shit. Sounds like something from Get Out.

Probably should have ran that tweet by a black marketing person before they ran that.

Edit: NVM they phrased it right, our blacks at xyz. That sounds fine.

Last edited:

stickkidsam

This has gotta be the most confusing thread I've read in a while.

The issue is that a team or some sort of group was made for black people at Microsoft; as in a group was made specifically for a certain race, correct?

So the problem is that regardless of who made it, it's racist in its nature. Am I missing anything? This is dumb.

Aren117

This has gotta be the most confusing thread I've read in a while.

The issue is that a team or some sort of group was made for black people at Microsoft; as in a group was made specifically for a certain race, correct?

So the problem is that regardless of who made it, it's racist in its nature. Am I missing anything? This is dumb.

No, not quite. The organization was set by black people and follows the naming convention of other organizations.

What is making people outrage is that they are incapable of reading past "our Blacks" and are saying it's a racist tweet, while the whole phrase goes "our Blacks at Xbox community", with "Blacks" being the first part of a proper noum.

TL;DR people selectively losing reading comprehension in order to bash company they dislike

Virex

Abrasive, but well-meaning
I thought it was more hilarious than anything. Most were poking fun, even the Asians got in the game asking for "Yellows at Xbox". :pie_roffles:
Hahah that's pretty funny. I think lots of these people just look for things to be outraged about because their lives are so worthless and empty. Instead of just taking it easy and see the funny and good things in life.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
It's funny how backwards society has gone.

Late 90's and early 2000s they were just "people"

Now we are back to "people of colour" and "blacks".

Mista

Banned
Afaik it was named by black people so that’s alright. Also not everyone that says white and black it means they’re racist

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like the Black group who created the name Blacks at Xbox could of come up with a better name.

I honestly think it sounds funny. Also the twitter feed/comment is exactly what i thought it was going to be.

Throwback to this?

Arkage

Banned

Sounds like you didn't actually live during the 90s or 2000s if you think society was colorblind. Literally the era of OJ Simpson, race riots, Dangerous Minds, the war on drugs, first black woman to win Academy Award, Hurricane Katrina "George Bush doesn't care about black people." Talk about living in a bubble.

I very much doubt it.

But lets say you are right. Why are all the men in the image dark skinned and all the women light skinned?

There's a dark skinned woman in the top right. Let's not be even more dumb than what this thread already asked of us.

Last edited:

Komatsu

I mean, what's the issue here? A group of Microsoft employees who happen to be black started some sort of group/caucus and the company is using it to play up its own reputation for diversity. As far as identity-based branding goes, this is pretty harmless and I'm sure the employees highlighted appreciated the attention.

Breakage

Were Rihanna and Soulja Boy the inspirations behind the two characters at the front? The guy in the hoodie looks as if his head is facing the wrong way.

DeafTourette

Older than air but younger than the foundations of the earth

The entire 90s and 2000s were rife with race! No, no one was just "people". We were still black, white, Asian, etc... Did you even LIVE during that time? I'm 44 and there were riots over OJ, that little black girl killed by the Asian store owner who didn't even get convicted (because of course a black girl's life was worthless), Katrina... So much more...

You can't be THAT naive, can you?

Diddy X

What is the world coming to, what can we do at this point, is it even worth complaining, what can we do, vote, maybe? Pfff IDK

mcjmetroid

No, not quite. The organization was set by black people and follows the naming convention of other organizations.

What is making people outrage is that they are incapable of reading past "our Blacks" and are saying it's a racist tweet, while the whole phrase goes "our Blacks at Xbox community", with "Blacks" being the first part of a proper noum.

TL;DR people selectively losing reading comprehension in order to bash company they dislike

What's the betting it's mostly white people that are "outraged"

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Nobody is really, like most these things. I cannot imagine someone fuming and throwing stuff around a room in temper for this.
The word outrage used to mean something.

The internet killed the meaning of the word Outrage.

Why cant everyone just be treated equally be gender or race and we as the human race just move the fuck on..

Because humans are gonna human. It's been that way for 10,000 years.

Jigsaah

---

The phrasing is odd if you weren't aware that 'Blacks at Xbox' is a particular employee community the company initiated back in 2015.

Hello [customer], I am also aware of [important social issue] that is important to you, the [demographic].

My aim in highlighting this isn't to stir offense but to point out the silliness of this sort of pomp.

Always trust your corporate brands and feel [emotion] when viewing their advertisement!

Why the fuck do people need to make a huge deal about having minorities at their company? It should be "normal" to do that. You don't get fucking recognition because you're finally deciding to something that should have always been done.

I'm black okay...and this type of shit always pisses me off!

I'm sorry if I seem passionate about this, but I'm really sick of being the token. Why can't I just be a normal part of society?

Last edited:

Claus Grimhildyr

Vincit qui se vincit
Blacks at Xbox: "You get an award!"

Winner: "Oh, was it because of my hard work, quality projects, or because of the proactive changes I helped with to make me a valuable employee to be recognized over other employees?"

Blacks at Xbox: "No, it is because of your skin colour!"

Last edited:
I have blacks too! (not a slave owner)

More seriously, why do they need to highlight (or hide) this?
Straight white males don’t give a shit about having their own group, I guess. Or they don’t get one due to reasons.
Well this is what happens when someone makes an identitarian group like that for whites (this is not something I encourage you to do, I'm just against segregation in general) https://theglowup.theroot.com/white-woman-claims-to-confront-racism-by-creating-racis-1832737943

Basically, this lady (who has a multi-ethnic family) created this group because SHE WAS LOCKED OUT OF SIMILAR YOGA GROUPS FOR OTHER ETHNIES, this was a stunt... and well, it showed the hypocrisy of the whole thing.

Top Bottom