• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox tweets out "our blacks at Xbox" in their GDC attempt at ideological pandering

I don’t know. Seems to me that this post is only about stirring unnecessary outrage.

The way it's worded feels that way.

It would have been better to say "Our African American/Carribean Colleagues at Xbox".

Anything with "Blacks" in it will certainly unsettle Americans in particular.

I know in the UK it is seen as a backward remark (retarded to Americans) as there are far worse words you hear. I guess they would say that Microsoft sound like idiots instead by using Blacks in this context.

bucyou

The way it's worded feels that way.

It would have been better to say "Our African American/Carribean Colleagues at Xbox".

Anything with "Blacks" in it will certainly unsettle Americans in particular.

I know in the UK it is seen as a backward remark (retarded to Americans) as there are far worse words you hear. I guess they would say that Microsoft sound like idiots instead by using Blacks in this context.

You are aware that the name of the actual group is "Blacks at Xbox", correct?

zenspider

Eh. I like it. This looks fun to me, not "woke" propoganda. I dig that art too.

Plus, unlike the 'Whites At Xbox', they let these guys tweet and give out awards.

Arkage

Banned
Good to see a group that recognizes black contributions to the gaming industry as it's clear most people are completely unaware of their contributions to gaming.

Oh, wait, was this supposed to be an anti-PC circlejerk bitching thread? My bad.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
With a little manoeuvring, Xbox can claim Sony are racist, or at least infer it. Think I'm going overboard. Watch. It'll just take one well timed article and a handful of tweets ...

Last edited:

noqtic

Is Just a name for fun...maybe they are drunk... remind me and my Friends searching a name for a rock band.. nothing of political....no One can be fun or stupid?

Edit... theres Chinatown or Little Italy but can't be a blacks at Xbox? Is the First Time i saw this..but i found a funny name :D nothing of wrong or political...

None of what you said stops the name from being stupid. Consider the social climate that we are currently living in and the history of blacks in America. Even if I don't find anything wrong with the name and can recognize that it is not being used in a derogatory way, I can also understand why people might raise their eyebrows at it.

This coming from a black person.

Aren117

"Our community Blacks at Xbox" would be a better way to phrase it

but yeah

this is resetera level of content

Airola

"Our community Blacks at Xbox" would be a better way to phrase it

but yeah

this is resetera level of content

People would probably read it as Our "Community Blacks" at Xbox and would start saying "ok what the fuck is a community black" :D

"We're pro diversity! That's why we have a company subdivision specifically for Blacks!"
Racism is bad because it values / devalues people based on their skin color. Segregation, regardless of who's doing it or for what reason is racist, and setting up a racial based subdivision is the definition of segregation.
It was set up by black people at Microsoft. Black people gave it the name.

OP really laying it on thick with that title. Resetera got hung up on "our Blacks" also. Out of context sure, that looks bad. But you would have to want to look at it that way. The way it actually reads is "our Blacks at Xbox Community" which is perfectly normal and fine. So clickbait at best on all fronts.

Last edited:
Perfect example of jumping to outrage conclusions without proper reading comprehension.
This post gets it.
It was set up by black people at Microsoft. Black people gave it the name.

OP really laying it on thick with that title. Resetera got hung up on "our Blacks" also. Out of context sure, that looks bad. But you would have to want to look at it that way. The way it actually reads is "our Blacks at Xbox Community" which is perfectly normal and fine. So clickbait at best on all fronts.
This post couldn't even read the post before.
"our blacks" yikes!
Alot of people must be doing terrible on the reading comprehension sections on the SATs and ACTs.

mcjmetroid

I think it's kinda hilarious that this backfired. The very people they are pandering at here just shat all over them. There's a lesson here. Stop trying.
Hire the best person for the job be it gay, trans, black, blue, green and shut the fuck up about it.

I'm fairly sure black people don't like being paraded up and down the street like this constantly do they?

I'm fairly sure every company the size of Microsoft has had plenty of black people working for them since the beginning. The only thing that's changed is now everyone has decided it's a big enough deal to mention it constantly.

Anyway delighted it backfired even if the outrage is as usual very silly to me.

chigstoke

Oh come off it with that thread title.

Title gives the tweet a complete out of context view. Jesus Christ, its 'Our Blacks at Xbox Community'.

:messenger_musical: :messenger_musical: I said a hip hop
Hippie to the hippie
The hip, hip a hop, and you don't stop, a rock it out
Bubba to the bang bang boogie, boobie to the boogie
To the rhythm of the boogie the beat
Now, what you hear is not a test I'm rappin' to the beat
And me, the groove, and my friends are gonna try to move your feet
See, I am Wonder Mike, and I'd like to say hello
To the black, to the white, the red and the brown
The purple and yellow, but first, I gotta
Bang bang, the boogie to the boogie
Say up jump the boogie to the bang bang boogie
Let's rock, you don't stop
Rock the rhythm that'll make your body rock
Well so far you've heard my voice but I brought two friends along
And the next on the mic is my man Hank
C'mon, Hank, sing that song, check it out :messenger_musical::messenger_musical:

Norse

OP, a little more research before your next "shock" thread would be appreciated. Nothing to see here.

Iced Arcade

Isnt an issue here, stop reaching.

Jesus reading the comments, this world is so triggery. Toilet tissue thick skin.

Last edited:
Very odd and unfortunate phrasing. They certainly could've used a better phrase.
However, bad thread title, I wouldn't call it ideological pandering per se. Wanting to provide paths for people of different ethnicities to get into the gaming industry isn't really any ideological pandering. That said splitting a community based on ethnicity, sexuality, etc. is a very divisive way for people to organize, especially around something like a product or a hobby.

iconmaster

Banned
What do you mean 'you people' ???

giphy.gif

Last edited:

ZehDon

I feel like, because this was named by the people in the group, they were having a bit of fun. Good for them.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Just like everything else, it seems Microsoft thinks checking a box and saying "we have blacks" will somehow prevent them from being attacked by the SJW crowd. They may even think it'll sell some Xboxes. They're wrong on both counts. Holding black people up like some kind of collection is just as racist as holding them back for being black.

Nah holding them back would be worse by far. Trust me.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Most every company has groups like this for each minority group of people. Black, Asian, LGBTQ, Women, etc.

Straight white males don’t give a shit about having their own group, I guess. Or they don’t get one due to reasons.

White males group is called "corporate executive" of said company.

Top Bottom