• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You just witnessed a horrible car accident with multiple casualties, what do you do?

What do you do?

• Get out and try to help

Votes: 36 63.2%
  • Drive away and let the police handle it

Votes: 19 33.3%
  • Take photos and videos

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Take photos and videos and post them on Youtube/Liveleak/etc

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Take photos and videos and try to sell them to the highest bidder

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters

pramod

There are dead mangled bodies right in front of you on the road. What do you do?

This happened to me one time and all I can do is drive away in shock. Sometimes I regret not doing more.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
I'm def the kind of person to get out and help...myself to their jewelry and wallets.

No in all seriousness I would def help. I do the same whenever I see people getting beaten up or attacked. I always try to help, it's just Instinct.

eot

Banned
I saw it once, not dead people, but one guy with his leg somewhere in the woods, by the side of the road. Lucky me my dad's a surgeon so he took care of it until the EMTs showed up

Jenenser

Im the kind of guy that tries to help/calls for help, even if the chance is miniscule that someone survived. I also would pull in others.
(i know cause the precedent happened already.)

beeing in the situation and just thinkin about it are 2 different things. but i won't think lower of anyone who doesn't/can't help.
only the cunts who try to gawk. If you are that kind of guy. Fuck you.

Mohonky

Being an assistant nurse, I'm trained in basic first response and to be honest I don't even know what I would do to be honest. I know what to do, but if I was put on the spot in the moment, I just don't know. I'd like to say I would absolutely stop and help but whether I could or not, I can't say with certainty. I remember talking to the trainer I saw and she told me how when she was a paramedic, someone made the mistake of removing a guys helmet after a motorcycle crash not realising the guys skull had been smashed under the helmet and during removal of the helmet his brain basically began to pool into the helmet. What paramedics, police, firemen and other first responders have to see would make any kind of horror gore seem tame, then you have to factor in the other people around, the chaos, adrenaline, smell.....yeh I dunno.

As far as photo & video is concerned though, if that's your first response, you have serious issues.

Last edited:

crobb991

Banned
being a nurse.... i wouldnt stop

if someone was injured while i was helping theyd probably sue

not worth it

Cato

Banned
Eyes on the road. Hands at 10 and 2. Drive slowly. Take care not to hit any of them.
Once past, pedal to the metal and get the fuck out of there.

Don't become a part of the situation and you can not be frivolously sued.

Last edited:
probably nothing. besides is someone is really fucked up i have no medical expertise i would just fuck them up even more. i think there is this like unwritten rule to help but if you dont know how to help in a particular situation then most likely your help will be a hindrance. thats one thing people dont like to understand. its like sure when youre 90 and your about to die you can be like "yeah i tried to help once" it meant nothing. i will tell you now it meant nothing. let the fucking professionals handle it

Mihos

Have to help, and try to remember my military field training. My wife is a nurse, on the other hand, and is required by law to help.

being a nurse.... i wouldnt stop

if someone was injured while i was helping theyd probably sue

not worth it

What state are you in? I know almost all (maybe all?) states have Good Samaritan laws that make health care and private citizens immune extended to “ordinary negligence" when trying to help in emergencies (doesn't count for wanton, which would be pretty messed up). I also know first hand you can be sued or even jailed for 'not' helping if the state has a “duty to rescue” statute, even if you are only traveling through one of these states.

Last edited:

Cato

Banned
Have to help, and try to remember my military field training. My wife is a nurse, on the other hand, and is required by law to help.

What state are you in? I know almost all (maybe all?) states have Good Samaritan laws that make health care and private citizens immune extended to “ordinary negligence" when trying to help in emergencies (doesn't count for wanton, which would be pretty messed up). I also know first hand you can be sued or even jailed for 'not' helping if the state has a “duty to rescue” statute, even if you are only traveling through one of these states.

Interesting theory.

I can even drive on, my eyes on the road and I never saw these guys because I was watching the road so hard. That could be my defense.
Or I could get drawn into court and then pray that "good Samaritan laws" will indemnify me?

Call me an asshole but I pick the first option where I don't even have to convince the court that "good Samaritan law" should throw the lawsuit out.
No lawsuit at all is better than hoping that "good Samaritan law will clear me".

Thus, plan your traffic accident to happen where others, not me, are nearby. I will watch the road really hard and drive on. Once Im past it will be pedal to the metal and
I am fucking gone.

J-Roderton

Well, if I'm right there at it and there aren't already a group of people helping then sure I would stop and try to do something.

Grinchy

Banned
I can't help in this situation. There are dead, mangled bodies everywhere. What exactly would I be helping with?

DadEggs

most likely I unfortunately continue driving, but do call the police.

if I dont see anyone already having stopped, if it blocks the entire highway, if I dont have my kids with me, if I have no where pressing to be, then i'll probably get out.

someone who was a doctor once told me, the worst thing you can do is help because then you become liable, especially true if you announce youre a doctor.

also, why so many "take picture" options. this poll was made for peak millennials.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
If they're obviously dead, there's nothing to do but call it in.

I think the hard question is what you'd do if some were clearly alive but injured.

Generally, I've been one to rush in to help in crises when they intersect with my path, but as I've gotten older I think I've become a fair bit more cautious. It's been a while since I've found myself in a really tense situation. I'm not sure what I'd do today.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I would clear the accident very carefully, than pull over and call the police immediately. My own conscience could not allow me to drive off and feel ok.

iconmaster

Banned
Story time:

I was present at a child's birthday party where an accident happened.

One of the guest kids was running up and down the sidewalk. He tripped and fell just as a neighbor was backing up his SUV. So, presumably, the driver couldn't see him in that moment.

The SUV backed over the kid and broke both his legs.

I was the guy who called 911 and stayed with the parents to relay information back and forth.

It was awful. I never want to do it again.

(The kid healed completely. He's fine.)

Fbh

Man I really don't know.
Guess I'd stop call it in and try to help where I can. The one thing in on my mind though is that with people that are seriously wounded or hurt untrained help can often do more harm than good and I only took a basic first aide class many years ago

I can't help in this situation. There are dead, mangled bodies everywhere. What exactly would I be helping with?

I think it's implied that not everyone involved in the accident died. There's probably going to be wounded people or people that need other type of assistance

Being an assistant nurse, I'm trained in basic first response and to be honest I don't even know what I would do to be honest. I know what to do, but if I was put on the spot in the moment, I just don't know. I'd like to say I would absolutely stop and help but whether I could or not, I can't say with certainty. I remember talking to the trainer I saw and she told me how when she was a paramedic, someone made the mistake of removing a guys helmet after a motorcycle crash not realising the guys skull had been smashed under the helmet and during removal of the helmet his brain basically began to pool into the helmet. What paramedics, police, firemen and other first responders have to see would make any kind of horror gore seem tame, then you have to factor in the other people around, the chaos, adrenaline, smell.....yeh I dunno.

As far as photo & video is concerned though, if that's your first response, you have serious issues.
First thing you should do is look up your state/country's good samaritan laws and your legal liability risk for medical care on strangers. If you move someone who has a spinal injury and you accidentally paralyze them you can be at risk for being sued. Most states have some protections in place but you should check. Most you're going to do is probably holding down pressure to stop bleeding or beginning cpr. Take a cpr course and ask them about advice next time you renew. You can also get portable mouthpieces for cpr that can fit in a wallet for crazy emergencies.

-Minsc-

II picked "Drive away and let the police handle it." I may stop and call for help since I'm not trained to help anyone involved. For the dead people, what can I do? I'm not pulling them out of the wreckage. Longterm, I'll get therapy for any shock I may have taken on from seeing the death if it is needed.

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
I want to say "get out and help," though it's easy to say that when I'm not in the heat of the moment (it also depends on the context of the situation). I definitely wouldn't take photos or video, though. That's just not something you should share out of respect for the people involved.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
OP doesn’t realize that offering help could do more damage by putting yourself in harms way. Hope that situation never happens to anyone on this forum.

dottme

No option to call 911 or whatever the urgence number is in your country?
That’s we’ll be my reaction. Because o can’t handle blood well to be much more useful.

Kadayi

Banned
Call for the emergency services, assist where I can, reassure the parties involved that help is on the way and await their arrival.

mekes

I’ve been in that situation but just one guy that got hit by a bus that ran a red light. There was real hesitation to pull over and help. But I did, because I was the only other car/person nearby. It was not an easy situation, the injured guy was hurt badly. I had to phone the ambulance and help the injured guy who was bloody and unconscious. The bus driver was in shock and stayed in his drivers cabin.

The injured guy came to and was in shock. He was desperate to move but wasn’t physically able to. He didn’t speak a word of English. People started to gather around but offered no help and the guy started having convulsions and making animalistic noises whilst I tried to calm him and check he wasn’t swallowing his tongue. Thankfully the ambulance arrived shortly afterwards. I had about 10-15 minutes with the guy in total, half unconscious, 1/4 conscious, 1/4 in desperate need of emergency help. They treated him on the actual road for over an hour and he was hospitalised for over 2 months.

Police kept me there for over 3 hours where I had to give multiple statements and had those little numbered cones put around my car. Some months later I was asked to provide a statement for court which I did, but it wasn’t needed in the end as the bus driver had plead guilty. They had cctv on the bus and the street that showed him running the red light. It’s really funny how you can question what you know you saw in these circumstances, so I was relieved. The injured guy made a recovery, but not full. He had some quite bad head damage. I got an official thank you letter from the police investigator for my help.

It wasn’t an easy situation at all. I felt very out of my depth having no previous experience of responding to any emergencies.

Last edited:

Super Mario

Banned
Unless there is a burning car with someone trapped in it, there is no way I can help. I might make things worse. The only way I could truly help, in most cases, is to report it asap.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Its a question you cannot answer unless you have been in a similar situation prior. People do not know how to respond to a sudden change of routine, so people will freeze. Others will take pictures. Sadly the majority of people will do this.

I don't have a license, but coming from similar experience, i would get out and help if police is not yet arrived.

Top Bottom