• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 7, Part 2 – Sundays on AMC

Steejee

I was so absorbed by this recoil-free AR that it took me a while to register the clusterfuck happening behind her.

I watched this episode last night and caught the background 'action' and was wondering if they had mixed in footage from when the garbage people turned into the battle by accident.

Pretty lousy finale IMO. Rick's plans, once again, are awful. I didn't give a damn during any of the Sasha stuff. Rick just sitting there, one foot from Negan, basically going 'Okay, go ahead and kill my son, I don't care' instead of lunging for him and trying to bite his neck infuriated me. The whole 'set a bomb off 10 feet from our front gate' thing. And so on and so on...

I mostly watch this show out of momentum these days and have to use the head-cannon that since everyone has the zombie virus already, it causes a side effect of diminishing everyone's intelligence and self preservation instincts (well, except for Rick, who would preserve himself over trying to save Carl). Only way most of this show makes any sense.

Go_Ly_Dow

giphy.gif

fucking hell

ColdPizza

Banned
I watched this episode last night and caught the background 'action' and was wondering if they had mixed in footage from when the garbage people turned into the battle by accident.

Pretty lousy finale IMO. Rick's plans, once again, are awful. I didn't give a damn during any of the Sasha stuff. Rick just sitting there, one foot from Negan, basically going 'Okay, go ahead and kill my son, I don't care' instead of lunging for him and trying to bite his neck infuriated me. The whole 'set a bomb off 10 feet from our front gate' thing. And so on and so on...

I mostly watch this show out of momentum these days and have to use the head-cannon that since everyone has the zombie virus already, it causes a side effect of diminishing everyone's intelligence and self preservation instincts (well, except for Rick, who would preserve himself over trying to save Carl). Only way most of this show makes any sense.

He really should have counted on the garbage people betraying him. You have to bring your fucking A-game to beat Negan.

How can so many bullets fly and barely anyone get killed?

Background actors were just standing there in some sort of panic acting as we then see cuts of the main actors shoot at thin air.

Really liked the Sacha and Abe scenes though.

hokahey

I don't understand complaints about the tiger knowing who to attack. If it had been a dog no one would be complaining. If we allow that the tiger is capable of being as smart as a dog, is it that big a stretch it could see who the aggressors were at the moment?

hokahey

Pretty lousy finale IMO. Rick's plans, once again, are awful. I didn't give a damn during any of the Sasha stuff. Rick just sitting there, one foot from Negan, basically going 'Okay, go ahead and kill my son, I don't care' instead of lunging for him and trying to bite his neck infuriated me.

Rick had to have known there were others coming to help. He stalled the best he could without everyone being immediately executed.

The whole 'set a bomb off 10 feet from our front gate' thing. And so on and so on...

Not understanding this complaint. Had it worked, it would have taken the majority of the saviors in one swoop. It's the smartest thing he could have done.

Imostly watch this show out of momentum these days and have to use the head-cannon that since everyone has the zombie virus already, it causes a side effect of diminishing everyone's intelligence and self preservation instincts (well, except for Rick, who would preserve himself over trying to save Carl). Only way most of this show makes any sense.

This show is far from perfect, but it seems like a lot of people here watch it with an eye to nit pick instead of enjoying, and don't consider that in situations like these no one makes the perfect decision 100% of the time. Smart people make bad decisions in real life all the time.

I know how you feel, I watched a lot of them this season a few days after they aired until the last few weeks. I just can't abandon the show, I feel I'm too invested in the characters..
i'm not really invested in Eugene anymore, fuck him. but I so wanted to see Negan get what was coming to him but like so many others in this thread said, it's lame as fuck how he got away unscathed in the finale. as far as the rest of the characters go, Rick x Michonne still makes it worth it.

the whole battle atop the sniper tower was dumb too, giving off a false sense of tension and suspense because Michonne is just going to recover. Rick also gets shot and that bullet came off as inconsequential as well.

I turned to my wife when the finale was over and said, "I don't know if there's ever been a show that I both love and hate at the same time as much as this one."

The Sascha stuff was bland and did nothing for me. Much like her character.

Rick's plot armor thickens.

Felt like so little happened and now we have to wait until October to be right back where we started.

Steejee

Not understanding this complaint. Had it worked, it would have taken the majority of the saviors in one swoop. It's the smartest thing he could have done.

A container truck with that much non-directed explosives that close would have killed or severely injured everyone by the gate. Ducking behind the sheet metal wouldn't have done a whole lot. If they wanted to blow them up, they could have just wired up a car further away and done it before they ever got close.

This show is far from perfect, but it seems like a lot of people here watch it with an eye to nit pick instead of enjoying, and don't consider that in situations like these no one makes the perfect decision 100% of the time. Smart people make bad decisions in real life all the time.

The problem is that it's not really stupid decisions once in a while anymore, the whole show is driven by the idiot ball trope - everyone constantly doing dumb things to keep things moving. Sasha getting captured was a prime example - why did she rambo instead of just waiting for another shot? Yeah Eugene sent out people to find walkers, but if they're only looking for walkers it should be pretty easy to hide in a spot they wouldn't check.

Vagabundo

I thought the kingdom would of had a few more warriors to spare. And while its cool to look at, their armour is super ineffective.

Surfinn

One thing this show does increasingly well is exhibiting how horribly incompetent Rick is. It's like his a side character now with how little development he's had too.

I really don't like the idea of him failing in this way again (captured by Negan).. really uncharacteristic of him to make the same mistake twice.

At this point we can just assume Rick is gunna make bad decisions in the future. That's not who Rick is. Really disappointing. Never felt like this in the comic.

ZOONAMI

I thought the kingdom would of had a few more warriors to spare. And while its cool to look at, their armour is super ineffective.

It isn't even cool looking.

A big problem you would think is that the saviors would have amassed a large supply of Kevlar vests by now, so you pretty much need headshots. Though getting hit in the chest even with Kevlar on you aren't going to be shooting back for a bit.

Vagabundo

so is Tara replacing Sasha as the new Andrea/sharpshooter of the group

or is this gif meant to highlight the ridiculous shit happening in the background

Maybe the lack of recoil on the gun?

There really need an experienced action choreographer at this point.

It isn't even cool looking.

A big problem you would think is that the saviors would have amassed a large supply of Kevlar vests by now, so you pretty much need headshots. Though getting hit in the chest even with Kevlar on you aren't going to be shooting back for a bit.

It annoys me when people don't even wear basic protection like leather gloves and jackets when a single bite can kill you.

I'm reminded for the GOAT zombie film:

ZOONAMI

so is Tara replacing Sasha as the new Andrea/sharpshooter of the group

or is this gif meant to highlight the ridiculous shit happening in the background

The shit in the background is simpsons gif quality. No one successfully shooting each other at point blank range.

ZOONAMI

One thing this show does increasingly well is exhibiting how horribly incompetent Rick is. It's like his a side character now with how little development he's had too.

I really don't like the idea of him failing in this way again (captured by Negan).. really uncharacteristic of him to make the same mistake twice.

At this point we can just assume Rick is gunna make bad decisions in the future. That's not who Rick is. Really disappointing. Never felt like this in the comic.

Has Rick really made any bad decisions? He keeps getting fucked by the saviors who have superior numbers and guns. That's kind of expected.

I guess the bad decision might be trying to fight them, but then we just have infinity episodes of rick and co gathering supplies (basically this season).

The smartest thing to do honestly would be to just gather everyone up and drive for 24 hours straight to a different part of the country, and honestly that probably would be more interesting than this savior arc and keeping them in the south forever.

Would be cool to see them go to the Texas desert or the smokey mountains or something for a change of scenery.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Has Rick really made any bad decisions? He keeps getting fucked by the saviors who have superior numbers and guns. That's kind of expected.

I guess the bad decision might be trying to fight them, but then we just have infinity episodes of rick and co gathering supplies (basically this season).

The smartest thing to do honestly would be to just gather everyone up and drive for 24 hours straight to a different part of the country, and honestly that probably would be more interesting than this savior arc and keeping them in the south forever.

Would be cool to see them go to the Texas desert or the smokey mountains or something for a change of scenery.

They're not gonna shake things up that much unless they have to, and even then they'd probably be more likely to cancel the show than rejigger it.

The current formula is staying in place until viewership falls off a cliff.

Jobbs

Banned
Oh man these gifs. What the hell went wrong. The action scenes have never been this bad before.

They were funny. Looked like a bunch of kids playing with guns and pointing at imaginary badguys.

I wish more action scenes would make a point of giving me, as the viewer, a sense of spatiality -- Where everyone is, how many people are on each side, what someone's shooting at, etc. It felt silly to the point of being immersion breaking -- Which I guess is nothing new for the show, but still -- it does have its moments and does frequently ask to be taken seriously.

Maybe the lack of recoil on the gun?

There really need an experienced action choreographer at this point.

the season 4 midseason finale was madd epic, even though the majority of the episode wasn't even a battle.

It annoys me when people don't even wear basic protection like leather gloves and jackets when a single bite can kill you.

honestly, if you're in a situation where people are shooting to kill, why would you bother to make them submit instead of shoot to kill them? that just makes the editing shot of Rick being walked over to Carl even worse, like, how does it come to that
The shit in the background is simpsons gif quality. No one successfully shooting each other at point blank range.

ohhh aaha, that explains the simpsons gifs from the previous pages

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I don't understand complaints about the tiger knowing who to attack. If it had been a dog no one would be complaining. If we allow that the tiger is capable of being as smart as a dog, is it that big a stretch it could see who the aggressors were at the moment?

I wasn't earnestly complaining about it, it's just a cool moment. But it doesn't make sense. An attack dog will go after a person who is running that they're unfamiliar with. But there isn't a way to train a tiger to only attack Saviors and not people from Hilltop and Alexandria. It isn't familiar with these people and there isn't anything differentiating them. It isn't like The Saviors are all wearing a specific uniform or something. It's all just a cluster of people wearing similar clothing. You could point it in a direction and have it go ham, but you're risking some of your own people getting chomped.

It would be like training a dog to only attack people who wear a certain brand of sunglasses. Again, it didn't honestly bother me. It was cool, just saying.

ZOONAMI

They're not gonna shake things up that much unless they have to, and even then they'd probably be more likely to cancel the show than rejigger it.

The current formula is staying in place until viewership falls off a cliff.

Well, they have gone from Atlanta to Virginia when viewership wasn't a problem either. I don't see why they can't relocate again. I guess it would involve new sets, so that's the problem. Doesn't the kingdom look like the exact same set as Woodbury? Lol.

taybul

They could have easily set up a roadside bomb along the seemingly only road to Alexandria. Setting one up right by the gate would only widen the Saviors' and not to mention the undead's means of ingress.

enewtabie

You have to ignore the gun stuff in this show a lot. I used to pick it apart with my boss cause I shoot and it's too much. They go from running with a pistol getting headshots in the first season to cant hit people 20 feet in front of them with Automatic weapons. Explosives in a vehicle from that distance would have sent shrapnel everywhere killing half of the Alexandrians.

Ricks shooting of the AK at Terminus and against the Wolves in the camper was on point though.

ZOONAMI

They could have easily set up a roadside bomb along the seemingly only road to Alexandria. Setting one up right by the gate would only widen the Saviors' and not to mention the undead's means of ingress.

Either way it doesn't really matter because the scavengers flipped on them. And I disagree that a roadside bomb would be more effective as you would have only taken out one truck. The blast wouldn't have blown down their wall I don't think if that's what you are suggesting. The best method was blowing it up with the saviors all grouped together by the gate.

It was a mistake for sure though to clue the scavengers in on the bomb though. Way too trusting of them based on nothing.

So yeah rick made a mistake there. Keeping that a secret and blowing it probably would have even kept the scavengers on their side, unknown to Rick that they would have betrayed him if the bomb didn't go off.

ZOONAMI

You have to ignore the gun stuff in this show a lot. I used to pick it apart with my boss cause I shoot and it's too much. They go from running with a pistol getting headshots in the first season to cant hit people 20 feet in front of them with Automatic weapons. Explosives in a vehicle from that distance would have sent shrapnel everywhere killing half of the Alexandrians.

Ricks shooting of the AK at Terminus and against the Wolves in the camper was on point though.

Yeah lol why was Rick the only one who ducked haha.

neoism

I was laughing my ass off at the sappiness at the end Maggie and Sasha just settin at the sunset.... Then after the battle everything just goes back to normal 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
L+SD ratings:

Season 7

Episode 1: 17.0 million 8.4 A18-49
Episode 2: 12.5 million 6.1 A18-49
Episode 3: 11.7 million 5.7 A18-49
Episode 4: 11.4 million 5.4 A18-49
Episode 5: 11.0 million 5.2 A18-49
Episode 6: 10.4 million 4.9 A18-49
Episode 7: 10.5 million 5.0 A18-49
Episode 8: 10.6 million 5.1 A18-49

Episode 9: 12.0 million 5.7 A18-49
Episode 10: 11.1 million 5.3 A18-49
Episode 11: 10.4 million 5.0 A18-49
Episode 12: 10.2 million 4.7 A18-49
Episode 13: 10.7 million 4.9 A18-49
Episode 14: 10.3 million 4.7 A18-49
Episode 15: 10.5 million 4.9 A18-49
Episode 16: 11.3 million 5.4 A18-49

It's almost as if there were a parallel between the season premiere and the season finale, juxtaposing Rick's reaction to Negan fucking with him and his son. In the first, Rick was broken and lost his shit completely when confronted with Carl possibly getting hurt. Rick's promise to kill Negan was almost unbelievable.

Now, you believe that motherfucker. He's out for blood and doesn't give a fuck.

L+SD ratings:

Season 7

i'm not 100% but it looks like they are down from last year

but regardless...i think it will go back up for season 8

Cmagus

To me Rick comes off as very unstable and that is impairing his judgement way too much. Like this season it's been clear he has one thing on his mind and that is to kill Negan at any cost.

He gathered up anyone without thinking it through because he wants to kill Negan and is short sighted, hell he didn't even give a damn Carl was about to get whacked and it showed.

It's clear he is gonna snap again and right now Michonne is the only thing keeping him level headed and from doing that.

Roussow

How was the rest of the season? I stopped watching after the premiere, which was, well, it felt of muted after all the build up. Any good stuff? How's my girl Carol been?

Solo

From Cornballer:

The Season 7 finale of The Walking Dead certainly wasn't riding on TV easy street on a Sunday that saw the return of WrestleMania, a steady Academy of Country Music Awards on CBS, the season-high-hitting Big Little Lies finale on HBO and the series finale of Black Sails on Starz.

The nearly 90-minute ”The First Day Of The Rest of Your Life" episode of The Walking Dead on April 2 snagged 11.3 million total viewers and 7.1 million among adults 18-49 for a 5.9 rating. While up 7% in total audience over its March 26 show and rising 10% in the key demo, the finale directed by executive Greg Nicotero dropped 20% in viewers and 14% in 18-49s from the Season 6 finale of April 3, 2016 – which saw double-digit declines from TWD's all-time finale high of Season 5.

With all that competition Sunday night, the Live+3 results for AMC's zombie apocalypse blockbuster might tell us the real reach of the April 2 season ender for the show based on Robert Kirkman's comics. AMC should hope so: The Season 7 viewership and demo results are the third lowest in the show's history behind the 5.97 million of the short Season 1 in 2010 and the 8.99 million of Season 2's March 18, 2012 finale. Demo-wise, Sunday's TWD is the third worst rating the show has seen, with the 3.0 and the 4.7 for the Seasons 1 & 2 enders delivering lower ratings.

Last year in L+3, the finale grew 30% viewership and 32% in the demo over L+SD.

Already renewed for a Season 8 that's expected to debut this fall, don't get too down in the end-of-civilization dumps for TWD. The show is still easily this season's top-rated series on TV, both broadcast and cable, with a massive edge on the likes of The Big Bang Theory, Empire and breakout newbie This Is Us.

Got

Banned

The problem is that slow Zombies are generally not as frightening as they used to be. And that's why 28 days Later is so terrifying. Also, the speed at which they turn. Goddamn I hope Danny Boyle revisits that universe.

jett

D-Member
L+SD ratings:

Season 7

i'm not 100% but it looks like they are down from last year

but regardless...i think it will go back up for season 8

From Cornballer:

A five-year low. I LOL'D. AMC gets what it deserves. From having the Breaking Bad and Mad Men double whammy to whatever it is they're peddling these days.

Solo

I suspect there is going to be another large drop for S8. There's no cliffhanger this time that will bring people back. Just a crappy finale and promises of another 16 episode season that is more of the same old shit.

Santiako

As dumb as it is, they're obviously not shooting at each other, the people on the left are surrendering and putting down their guns.

Surfinn

Uh.. yeah definitely. He made a bad call in the beginning to go into battle blind (strike Negan first before there was an inevitable confrontation), but that one can be explained and justified since Rick/co. had never faced such a huge threat before and had no idea what they were getting themselves into. But a huge mistake nonetheless.

But.. this second time he makes an even WORSE decision to fully trust a group of people literally living in trash and are seemingly incapable of forming coherent sentences.. so much so he lets his guard down completely and allows them to get the jump on their entire community and well being.

He blindly trusted these trash people with Michonne's Carl's, his own life, and his community's lives to essentially lead an attack against Negan, the dude who pummeled them all into submission because of Rick's arrogance and inability to properly assess the situation.

He wasn't supposed to make that mistake again. And it really detracts from the conflict because we now know Rick can essentially be caught with his pants down indefinitely and always live.. all while directly contradicting Rick's ability to be a leader (contrary to the comic). There's literally no reason for Negan not to murder Rick yet he keeps him alive anyway. He was going to allow him to walk away from that conflict, once again. Not to mention the stupidity of handicapping Rick by smashing his hands when he's a direct line of resources and supplies.

I dunno, the way they've handled the confrontation between Negan and Rick has been pretty fucking weak if you look at everything that's happened up until this point. That's not to say they don't still have fantastic scenes and moments together, of course.

I suspect there is going to be another large drop for S8. There's no cliffhanger this time that will bring people back. Just a crappy finale and promises of another 16 episode season that is more of the same old shit.

The Walking Dead S8 |OT| A Soap Opera With Occasional Zombies

I haven't watched a single episode this season since the premiere when Glenn and Abraham died. Should I just wait? Sounds like a really uninteresting season.

Surfinn

L+SD ratings:

Season 7

Wow.. didn't even hit 11.5. That's low for TWD in terms of finale spikes.

A five-year low. I LOL'D. AMC gets what it deserves. From having the Breaking Bad and Mad Men double whammy to whatever it is they're peddling these days.

I agree they get what they fucking deserve but even as the rating dip, the walking dead still remains the currently most watching television show.

Solo

I agree they get what they fucking deserve but even as the rating dip, the walking dead still remains the currently most watching television show.

Obviously in absolute terms, TWD is still a viewership/ratings juggernaut. But relative to past performance....AMC has to see the writing on the wall here.

Obviously in absolute terms, TWD is still a viewership/ratings juggernaut. But relative to past performance....AMC has to see the writing on the wall here.

as long as they still have the superlative title, and to a lesser extent positive reception, there's no reason for them to care about the drops.

Top Bottom