• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016-2017 NCAA Men's Basketball |OT| Villanova has no fans so this is their thread

https://twitter.com/sethdavishoops/status/840664189379235840

Seth Davis‏ @SethDavisHoops
Trying to read between lines of Dan Gavitt's answers on our set. I believe the fourth No. 1 seed will be Duke or the Pac 12 champ. UNC's a 2

Hahahahaha...hahahahahah...

If this happens. Can. You. Imagine. The. Salt.

In a blind resume comparison, we actually hold up pretty well against other teams in the running for 2 seeds tho. Especially against UNC, who by resume really has no business being a 1-seed like they were projected earlier and in some circles still are.

I'd MUCH rather be the 2 in the East and get to play regional games at MSG than be the 1 out West tbh.

Duke has all the credentials for it tho. Only one sub-100 RPI loss (home against the Fighting Red Blazers). Most top 50 RPI wins in the country. Most top 25 RPI wins in the country.

And if they win tonight, they would have beaten 3 ranked teams in a 3 day span in route to winning the tournament of the strongest conference in the country.

The biggest marks against them are the "Eye Test" (which is really "they didn't look as good as we thought they would be for most of the season) and their in-conference road record (3-6, which is pretty bad no which conference you're in)

ryseing

I'd MUCH rather be the 2 in the East and get to play regional games at MSG than be the 1 out West tbh.

Duke has all the credentials for it tho. Only one sub-100 RPI loss (home against the Fighting Red Blazers). Most top 50 RPI wins in the country. Most top 25 RPI wins in the country.

If that loss stops y'all from getting a 1 I still won't be happy with how this season turned out, but I will gain a bit more satisfaction from it.

Seth Davis's mentions rn

Oh boy

I don't know if he was just trolling for hits or what but he's got a bunch of upset folks with Tar Heel or Wildcat avatars yelling at him now because of that "Duke possible number 1 seed" tweet.

Of course this is all moot if Duke loses tonight and Notre Dame's a good team too.

Also

Luke DeCock‏Verified account
@LukeDeCock

It is indeed Eades/Ayers/Valentine in the ACC title game.

They put TV Teddy, Roger Ayers, and Mike Eades in one game.

I'm shocked they didn't tell Karl Hess he can come run it back for one more night jeez

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Been pretty mentally sloppy tonight. Not gonna win if we keep these TOs up. If we're not physically spent, it's certainly affecting our focus.

Started the game off strong so not sure how that disappeared so quickly. Still, to beat 2 ranked teams in 2 days (both teams we lost to the previous time we played them) is a pretty good momentum and confidence boost going into the NCAAs. I'll take it.

edit: Christ, what the hell is wrong with us. These passes are terrible.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty sure whatever Luke puts in his hair is making the ball slip out of his hands. I'm surprised it's taken this many games to be a factor with how often he tousles that mop of his.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
The ceiling is the roof from here.

"Being you is being a champion" is pretty good too tho

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
How does Tatum not get MVP over Luke? 22.5 ppg + 7.5 rpg + 55% FG

Fjordson

I knew Duke was better than what they showed in the middle of the season. They just have the best roster imo, even without a true point guard.

There will be a lot of salt if they get a 1 seed, but I don't think it'd be that crazy. With some of the other top teams losing early I'm not sure there's four teams that are way above Duke right now.

I'd love to say Kentucky should get a 1 seed, but we don't deserve it. I'll be happy with a solid 2 seed.

I need a drink while listening to Bill Walton. Great heel commentator
Agreed lol. Pretty entertaining, I need to watch more Pac-12 ball.

Welp, at least UCF was able to embarrass Memphis. Their AAC tourney run ended yesterday losing to SMU.

It looks like at least an NIT bid with a likely hosting opportunity is on the table for UCF. Which would be incredible given it is Johnny Dawkin's first year here and he inherited a team with 6-7 scholarship players and walk-ons.

Next year is looking pretty exciting.

UNC-Chapel Hill‏Verified account
@UNC

The Empire State Building all lit up last night in #UNC colors. Give a �� if you're proud to be a Heel!

C6qZ5k8WoAA4tJ-.jpg

Not a strong showing from whoever runs the Carolina twitter.

Insert obvious lack of class/education joke here

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Haven't seen truly around lately, so one of us needs to step up and be a Negative Nancy. I'm happy to do it.

A lot of people are going to pick Duke in the FF after seeing our last 4 games only to end up sorely disappointed when we have a game when we don't shoot 50%+ and/or take a bajillion FTs.

Been listening to a lot of this on repeat since last night, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOJAJdQjW4E

Broank

Get in a plane crash - 4 games in 4 days - win the Big Ten anyways. Walton took over and played posesed after they lost those first 3 big ten games. Go Blue!

Wonder how all those fire Beilein fans feel.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
South Carolina in Greenville, huh? Either that or Wojo. Also, Baylor or the revenge of Semi.

And then Nova. Ugh. At least no UNC or UK in there.

Duke v.s. South Carolina (potentially) in Greenville with a bunch of North Carolina fans in the stands is probably basically going to be a road game that they have to get through.

Everywhere is basically a road game with the exception of CIS and the tri-state area for Duke. Especially in the tournament.

They'll be fine.

Top Bottom