• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

America-GAF: What do you think of the rest of the world?

JordanN

Banned
This may sound strange, but after seeing the "how will you vote in November" thread, I sometimes forget that I'm actually living next to the United States of America.

Call it the power of the media, but the USA in general feels like it is the "default" place to live.

So that makes me wonder, what do actual Americans think the rest of the world is like? Do you get a feeling that America deserves to be in the spotlight 24/7? Or that the rest of the world is full of drones who do your bidding?
Could you actually picture yourself as not being born in America without being a totally different person?

QC5AmqU.png

Last edited:
The only experience I've really had outside of the good ole U.S was mostly in warzones. But i spent some time in Saudi Arabia and loved it. I have noticed before though when I mention this my friends/family give me a weird look and I realize that with constant war coverage even the great places are lumped in with the bad.

JordanN

Banned
The rest of the world wants to be us wether they want to admit it or not.
This is true.
Only exception might be dictatorships like North Korea or Cuba. Although the latter still drives American cars ayyy.

807zuXi.jpg

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
So that makes me wonder, what do actual Americans think the rest of the world is like?
every place is special. just going around America is a trip. but i have been to Mexico, Egypt, Sweden, Denmark, and Germany. all of them were wonderful places and i could see myself living anywhere. but there are still many other parts of the world left for me to see!
Do you get a feeling that America deserves to be in the spotlight 24/7?
when i was in Sweden, i was having a great time, partying, drinking in the streets, eating the most amazing food, dancing in great clubs and meeting the most gorgeous women. men and women are already equal there, so the women would just make the first moves and be really forward. then i found out about how cheap their health care was. it was amazing. at a party i would keep meeting Swedish people and they all asked me what America was like, they were all so excited, they wanted to live there, said there home was boring, America was so exciting. i see that pop culture and other things permeate the world so i am a bit proud of being born here.

also i am born in Georgia, home state of James Brown, Otis Redding, and Little Richard, among so many other amazing musicians. i realize that most of American culture is just global culture refracted in our own unique melting pot, but it is still something special. there is something about an American style NYC pizza that is it's own, distinctly American thing, even thought traditional pizza exists all over Europe.
Or that the rest of the world is full of drones who do your bidding?
LOL wut? no. of course not. i just think they really like pop culture. America was lucky enough to be young enough and come at the right time and be geographically positioned far away from the Old World and make it through WWII unscathed and a million other things. we are very lucky. but also everywhere around the world has something to offer, and it is where we come from. travelling around Europe/Africa i was amazed at how many ancient buildings there are. America is mostly new stuff, especially the south (during the Civil War Atlanta was burned to the ground). we are like kids compared to you. you actually have more respect for peace and the old ways imo. we are more like a teenager, feeling invincible, lashing out, aggressive. Trump is really the most accurate avatar of how America acts politically to the rest of the world. but don't mistake that for how the people think.
Could you actually picture yourself as not being born in America without being a totally different person?
yeah ive been asked by random strangers many times where i was from. people think i am from France or Romania. i have very strong European roots that go back only a few generations, so i could see myself living in Europe. i wouldn't have to change much, apparently. i am told i have a very Finish dark sense of humor, inherited from my grandfather, who died before i was born. really i want to try living elsewhere, and in fact was kind of looking into that before this whole pandemic hit. maybe someday i will make another trip overseas...

Last edited:
I’ve been to Canada, Mexico and Honduras. Canada was pretty damn cool from what I got to see. Mexico was Mexico but the people were super nice and Honduras was pretty bad.

I’ve always been enamored with the British. I would’ve love to have gone there when I was single and had I got the job I have now while being single I absolutely would’ve transferred. Italians are near and dear to my heart as my dad is full Italian and my grandparents immigrated here from Calabria. Honestly, I try not to judge negatively without knowing much about the place. My brother in law is from Poland and pretty damn cool and one of my friends is from Russia. If I weren’t so afraid to fly I would’ve love to travel but it is what it is.

I know most of the world sees us as pompous douchebags but the truth is a lot of us don’t look down on anybody. I think most other places have a lot of cool shit to offer.

JordanN

Banned
I know most of the world sees us as pompous douchebags but the truth is a lot of us don’t look down on anybody. I think most other places have a lot of cool shit to offer.
If I was American, I honestly couldn't blame someone for thinking that way.

The U.S still remains one of the only countries to successfully explore space. That's a big achievement when the other country to do it is now dead (USSR).

And consider all the popular platforms out there. Twitter, youtube, google, facebook, hell even Neogaf. Billions of people around the world completely rely on you guys for new tech.

Last edited:
If I was American, I honestly couldn't blame someone for thinking that way.

The U.S still remains one of the only countries to successfully explore space. That's a big achievement when the other country to do it is now dead (USSR).

And consider all the popular platforms out there. Twitter, youtube, google, facebook, hell even Neogaf. Billions of people around the world completely rely on you guys for new tech.

That’s true but think of all the amazing architecture around the world and the rich history. Our country is basically still in its infancy. We don’t have that here.

Blade2.0

There are many places that are better than us in every metric. But we aren't the worst place on the planet... So we have that going for us.

Last edited:

Elcid

Banned
This may sound strange, but after seeing the "how will you vote in November" thread, I sometimes forget that I'm actually living next to the United States of America.

Call it the power of the media, but the USA in general feels like it is the "default" place to live.

So that makes me wonder, what do actual Americans think the rest of the world is like? Do you get a feeling that America deserves to be in the spotlight 24/7? Or that the rest of the world is full of drones who do your bidding?

QC5AmqU.png
The rest of the world sucks bro.

JordanN

Banned
The rest of the world sucks bro.
I don't even disagree.

Canada is a mixture of frozen wasteland or everyone living within arms reach of the border, Mexico is dangerous, nobody even talks about Central America, and South America is also a hotbed of corruption or violence.

It's basically because of the USA why the American continent is even relevant. Before that, we only had the Spanish and Portuguese come here just to extract resources.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
That’s true but think of all the amazing architecture around the world and the rich history. Our country is basically still in its infancy. We don’t have that here.
if you travel Europe, there are castles and windmills that are hundreds of years old. there are even ancient Roman ruins and statuary. the landscape is also quite magical. when i stayed in Sweden, i spent all day riding my bike through these tiny medieval neighborhoods, with small houses that looked straight out of a Christmas illustration. i felt like i was in fairy land. i have friends that have visited Ireland and tell me it is like that as well. i went to thrift store while i was there, and wanted so desperately to buy everything. there would be multiple mint condition vintage film cameras for under $10, piles of used Swedish and European vinyl, etc. we went to a rave. we went to a black metal festival. there was constantly amazing shit to do, and always a park within 15 minutes. Sweden rules.

Europe is great for folklore. there is so much stuff all over, so much culture. when i stayed in Sweden, i decided to go to Berlin and visit a friend who was staying over there and working for an artist. i ended up purchasing a round trip bus ticket and it was less than $50! that weekend i walked to the train station, took it over the water to Copenhagen, got on a bus, fell asleep, woke up and found out i was on a boat. bought a steak and some champagne and smoked a cigarette because holy shit $50 buck for all this??? then the ship landed and we got back on the bus, drove down the Autobahn, finally ended up in Berlin. it was not as grey and cold as American media has always portrayed Germany to me. in fact it was very lush, very green. it reminded me of Athens, GA in some ways. we went to a thrift store, there were cardboard cutouts of Rambo and David Bowie. my friend took me to an old airfield, which had been converted into a public park, and was having a giant outdoor fleamarket. i ended up buying a German John Carpenter Precinct 13 Soundtrack 12" there and some ice cream. fuck yeah Germany rules.

Egypt was kind of a dream come true. i went as part of an Art History class, my teacher was an Egyptologist. a badass female version of Indiana Jones, she had her own digs, she was dating this German archeologist who had an apartment in Cairo. on the last day we got pizza and listened to Edith Piaf on a victrola while gazing at the Nile River. i had fried brains as well. everything you see over there is as magical as you would believe, the Pyramids really are larger than life, and kind of spooky in many ways. Africa is so beautiful and the people were friendly and wonderful, even during the Bush era, they were mostly just trying to be nice to scam money out of us. tourism is a huge deal there of course, so they would just throw papyrus paintings and cheap musical instruments and other trinkets into your arms and start demanding money. they were very pushy! true hustlers! beautiful people tho, just chillin, smokin a hookah outside the coffee shop in the mornings. the trip started in Cairo, then we took a bus down the Nile, then got on a ship for a bit, then flew back to Cairo (that flight was the scariest of my life due to sand in the air causing interference). the bus we were on was trailed by a jeep with dudes that had AK-47s, and they were similarly guarding all the temples as well. you would walk up to a temple and some guy would be standing there with an AK and maybe a water bottle that he had trapped a scorpion in for a laugh. there were terrorists in the desert, radicals who would hijack tourists, these things happen, and this was their solution to security. we never felt unsafe tho, everyone was very friendly. often we saw wild dogs hanging around. my teacher had her own dig site at one village, so the bus stopped in the middle of the desert, we got out, saw some little kids running with donkeys, and she talked to an old man in Arabic, and he led us to this little cave. up close was quite cool, there were a few shields and guards, but for the most part you could look right up at the walls and see that everything was painting individually by a unique artist. we would see kids sleeping on the back of trucks on the way to/from the city of Cairo.

the pyramids are actually just a few miles away from the city, but the sand in the sky (pretty much all the time, not just during sand storms) clouds things, so there is a real life Fog Wall that makes the pyramids and sphinx still un-seeable from the city, for most of the time. the sphinx is amazing. on the outside of the great pyramid it is all rocky, and you climb up this ladder that goes up a shaft into the main chamber, the climb is very dusty. then you get to the top, and you are in a very square, straight room, with very sharp 90 degree walls, like they were cut with a machine, almost like you have entered a large elevator. as you enter you realize you voice is now causing long reverberations, and there is heavy echo to all sound in this chamber. on the floor is the red granite sarcophagus, an empty box, and you can lay there if you want! i did =) that was the first day! the next day we went to Cairo Museum, and at first we complained because, why go to a freakin' museum when we are here? yet it was a good stop and on the itinerary and packed full of stuff (not everything, as most of Europe looted/carted off parts of Egypt for their own museums ofc) but it was insane, just the most packed, almost like Hoarding. it was the most crammed museum, with amazing things everywhere. at the very top was the famous golden mask of King Tut. that was perhaps the most beautiful hand crafted work of art i have ever seen in my life. i was very moved by that tbh, and the whole presentation was laid out with his coffin and other funerary objects.i looked away and saw people looking down into his coffin, and realized i was practically at a funeral, one held over and over in that museum, and that in some strange way we were all there to see him and pay homage to his legend, eternally, thousands of years after his first funeral. that's kind of amazing. he had so much loot, the Egyptians were very keen on crafting objects and items to use in the afterworld, and would store equipment in tombs for later use. later we went to the Valley of the Kings, which had many different tombs, all cut into this mountain valley, and you would go down and it would get really really hot, and the walls and ceiling would be covered in art. then when you finally leave the tomb, the air hits you and it feels amazing. the most refreshing feeling ever. everywhere we went, there was original paint, preserved by the desert for thousands of years. totally dope shit. honestly i wish i had wasted more money on trinkets while i was there. for a while i had this Egyptian stringed instrument that sounded great on recordings. maybe some day i will make the trip back to Africa once again. Egypt rules. Africa rules.

Last edited:

TaySan

Banned
The only place outside of the US I've ever lived in was Bahrain and it was....an experience to say the least. Cool to be able to experience the middle east in a small package, but also a ton of bad. The government there was authoritarian and oppressive against the majority of its population. We left right before the uprising happened and it's sad how that ended.

I have traveled a lot though for vacation and wish to do more in all parts of the world.

American culture and influence being so dominant is kind of a negative for me inside the US. Inside the US, you're basically drowning in information only about the US. I was watching a movie with my girlfriend the other night (Extraction), and she commented that she didn't even know India had anything but tents and villages, and was shocked they have modern cities. A lot of people living here are very ignorant about the rest of the world, and can go their entire lives without even seeing what any of it looks like. That's the biggest downside to being in such a large nation with such an insular culture. I feel like on average, educated people in other modern countries have a much better grasp of multiple cultures and the world as a whole, speak multiple languages, and can travel to multiple countries relatively easily.

The US has lots of advantages of course, and it's a nice place to live. It's mostly about convenience here, and comfort - not necessarily cultural enrichment. It's a consumer / convenience culture. It's nice that you can get most anything you'd want without too much difficulty. You can get food from almost anywhere, and it's usually pretty good. You can get most goods pretty cheaply and conveniently. There's lots of space for people as well. There's places to live on the coast, or the desert, or the forest, or the plains, or the mountains. Whatever you can afford. There's some unbelievable national parks and natural beauty to see.

Another major downside is that the "default" place to live is largely culturally and historically neutral. The cultural variety in other parts of the world is so rich, historically grounded and interesting to me. The US has nothing that can actually compare to that.

I only left the country once, and saw multiple cities in Japan for roughly 2 weeks. I honestly didn't see any downsides, but I wasn't speaking the language or trying to live everyday life there. Tokyo is on par with anything you would find in New York in my opinion, only much, much cleaner and better looking, safer, more architectually interesting. And all around, even in Tokyo let alone other small cities, they have castles, shrines, and customs from a rich culture from hundreds of years ago with completely different architecture. Mountains and forests almost everywhere.

I have plans to see Peru next year. I'd like to see Egypt as well, and multiple European countries.

I could see some places being much cooler to live in than the US, if we're just talking about how you spend your free time and not things like cost of living or jobs. Japan, Sweden, Italy come to mind. Switzerland sounds nice as well. Lots of places have incredibly high standard of living, rich cultural history, access to multiple nearby unique countries, and anything you could want in terms of modern convenience and technology. Seems like it would be very nice if you had money.

Last edited:

GAMETA

Banned
I don't even disagree.

Canada is a mixture of frozen wasteland or everyone living within arms reach of the border, Mexico is dangerous, nobody even talks about Central America, and South America is also a hotbed of corruption or violence.

It's basically because of the USA why the American continent is even relevant. Before that, we only had the Spanish and Portuguese come here just to extract resources.

What the hell, dude. You have a huge misconception of South America. Corruption is present? Sure. Violence is present? Yeah, but it's generally pretty isolated, same as poverty isn't everywhere. I've lived in northern and southern cities in Brazil and I've never been into a favela.

The way you paint it would be the same as someone painting the US by Detroit only. Or painting LA by the homeless... it makes no sense.

Argentina and Chile are extremely beautiful countries as well.

I live in Curitiba, pretty decent city in Brazil, do take quick tour in Google Images and maybe you'll see that you're wrong.

US is awesome? Sure, but I'd much rather live in Canada or Germany.

nush

The best way I found to understand your own country is to live abroad for an extended period of time and view it from the outside.

Is it true most Americans don't own passports and have never left the country?

100% true. But it's a little misleading, since the US is so huge that going to a few different states is often the same distance others travel to get to other countries. Tons of people in the US just travel within the US.

JordanN

Banned
What the hell, dude. You have a huge misconception of South America. Corruption is present? Sure. Violence is present? Yeah, but it's generally pretty isolated, same as poverty isn't everywhere. I've lived in northern and southern cities in Brazil and I've never been into a favela.

The way you paint it would be the same as someone painting the US by Detroit only. Or painting LA by the homeless... it makes no sense.

I live in Curitiba, pretty decent city in Brazil, do take quick tour in Google Images and maybe you'll see that you're wrong.

I don't deny there are still good cities around the world, I just use a benchmark of how many people would actually want to switch places with these foreign countries?

And that to me says everything about how the world works. These places could always be better or raise their standards, whereas even with the worst parts of America no one wants to actually leave the country.

Or in another thread, I remember ranting about how famous Canadians, once they became successful in the U.S, almost never return home. In effect, this has lead to a brain drain since who do we expect to stay behind and actually help Canada compete against the U.S? Lol, there is nobody.

Even I ask myself everyday why do I even live here? I could hop the U.S border tomorrow and see my salary double by 200%. That's how much a little piece of land matters.
Edit: Oh yeah, and there would be a ton of job opportunities. Every American state or city has a thriving industry. Go to Canada and you basically have 3 big cities to find employment and that's it.

Last edited:

MaestroMike

China and other Asian countries are too homogenous. Needs more diversity and mixing with other peoples especially China. All countries should speak and understand English and make English one of their official languages.

V4skunk

Banned
I'm English/Scottish and can trace my family back way over a thousand years.
I give zero fucks about the rest of the world outside of English speaking nations.
Also fuck learning other languages, let the plebs speak English the master global language of world trade.

BigBooper

I feel the people are mostly the same anywhere in Western societies and I'd probably get along with most of them. I think our government is teetering on and just starting to tumble off the edge towards insanity, but most other governments are already worse.

Canada not having free speech and UK police practically having to be gay pride organizers is disgusting. Most of European countries I have no respect for their governments. Their leaders are as weak as some of the US Dems, surrendering their sovereignty to foreign invaders and welcoming them with open arms. I have more respect for Russia in that regard

Arab countries are questionable. UAE seems to be reasonable in most dealings, so I feel ok about them, but most of the rest I am distrustful of and would personally be afraid to travel to. I know people who occasionally travel to Arab countries and I'm fine with them though. Australia is just about as bad as UK at their authoritarian laws. I do not think much about asian countries, other than I like the food, and I like how odd Japan is compared to the US.

African countries... Since what I imagine is their most developed country, South Africa, has totally destroyed 50 years of development and promotes white genocide, I have no hope for Africa.

South America, I honestly don't think about much and view the culture as mostly the same as Mexico.

For reference, I've only left the country once for a roadtrip through Canada.

Hudo

Not a U.S. citizen and I don't actually give a shit about the U.S.. And I don't mean it in an off-putting or derogatory way. It's just that for my regular life, the U.S. doesn't play a role. You hear shit in the news of course but that's far away. I wouldn't want to live there but that's just me. Doesn't mean it's bad to live in the U.S., just that I don't want to live there. It's nice for a visit, though. And I expect that it's the same for most U.S. citizens, in that they don't really think about other countries in the world. And why should they? The USA is a country like every other country, there are good things, there are bad things (subjective) but mostly, things differ and that's OK.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
The best way I found to understand your own country is to live abroad for an extended period of time and view it from the outside.

more than 42 percent of Americans own passports. which makes you technically correct, but also, that is 137,000,000 Americans who do have passports. and you really aren't getting one of those unless you do leave the country. that's a lot of obnoxious (but rich) American tourists.

America has unique geography, it is a much wider space, and travelling between the states themselves is almost like travelling to different countries. so it is far easier in, say, Europe, to get on a bus or drive a car and go to another country in mere hours. contrast that to America, where if you aren't going to Mexico/Canada then you have to fly a plane. right there it shuts off international travel to people who can only afford to fly.
I don't often think about the rest of the USA, even. 🤷‍♀️
yeah most people don't even leave their own state. it's a big place. you can drive from Berlin, Germany through Belgium and into Paris, France in about 10 hours. that is 3 countries in 10 hours. that is about the same amount of time it would take me to drive from Atlanta, Georgia to Miami, Florida. that is just one state!

it's called the United States for a reason. the individual states have a lot of character, and we have all this space, life really is different to someone living in "flyover country" (80% of the land) vs the big cities on the liberal coasts. this is why states rights are so important. it's like we live in a collection of countries, a "union" if you will.

Last edited:

Happosai

QC5AmqU.png
Next to, are you in Canada?

I'm American but as I've stated too many times, I moved to Mexico to be with my wife in 2016. I have not even visited the U.S. in 4-years. Mexican media is kind of funny with American election news. When Trump was about to Trump Hillary; many independent publishers were trying to defend Killary...er...Hillary without having any background research on her. I remember one article in an evangelical site comparing Hillary Clinton to Mirium from the Bible.

I usually don't start seeing much on American presidential race news here until they're nearing the final debates. Around about October...they'll be trying to figure out a way to back Joe Biden in Mexico City news. Mexico is not a liberal country (not from the majority I've met). But, news leaked out here that "Trump hates Mexico" in 2015 or so and he's disliked by most. I've asked people here what they really know about Biden, Obama, the Clintons, Trump...pretty much only what the news media says. So, the little political info that gets here is usually a bit contrived.

Mexico does love the U.S. People here talk.about American celebrities all the time, more than I heard in the States. Friendliest people you'll meet. I've actually never met a Mexican who had any resent towards an American. If you go out you'll find all the American franchises. Media stores sell like 80% American movies and music. English is also nearing to become the second language here, too. Most Mexicans speak some English as it's taught in Secondary and for some...pre-K.

Pejo

I've never left the US other than to dip my toes in at Mexico and Canada, so I genuinely have no first hand experience outside of the US. That said, I watched a lot of travel shows, and it seems like most places are just like the US in that there are big cities, and then a fuckload of hillbillies that make up most of the country. I'm not saying that it's a bad thing, but movies would have you believe that every city in Europe, for instance, is full of thin attractive people with amazing fashion and cool cars. I actually spoke to a remote family member that came to America to visit, and he was surprised at just how huge the US is, so I take it that Europe is a lot more cramped by comparison. He was expecting to drive from NY to CA in a day or two.

Also I hear that buildings and things in general are much smaller outside of the US. Like lower door frames, smaller houses, etc.

Man I really need to travel.

cortadew

Chile is shit.... I am Chilean.

Top Bottom