• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any gun owners lurking...

YYZ

Ok, so I went the shooting range yesterday, never fired a gun before, may have handled one once before, don't remember.

WOW, these fuckers are powerful :lol

Started with the Glock and it surprised me. First of all, it's much heavier than I thought it would be, but it's a good kind of heavy, feels like I have something substantial in my hands. I was given a basic lesson on how to aim with the lines of sight. So I was given an unloaded Glock and clip in the target booth. I put the clip in (struggled for a few seconds, lol), closed the slide thing, lined it up, held on TIGHT and braced myself, and pulled the trigger. BOOM! There's no way to describe what it's like to fire a gun for the first time. I felt scared, excited, surprised, everything. The kickback is pretty strong, but I'm a newbie and I'm sure there are a dozen ways I can improve my grip and posture, but that's for the future. My accuracy was ok, most of my shots hit that typical human target outline. Didn't get any on the X though. It was really cool how the casings fly out in somewhat random directions.

Next gun was a revolver of some kind, this felt even heavier. I had 6 bullets to fire. This one was really cool becasue there's a small fireball around the muzzle whenever I shot, also a bit of smoke. The kickback felt a little stronger. I had to put both my hands on the wooden grip, whenever I fired, I felt it slide a little bit in my right hand.

Last gun was a shotgun with the birdshot (shotgun was all black). This is pretty intimidating to hold, setup, and fire for the first time. I was a little worried that I was doing it wrong and the gun would hit me on the kickback or fly out of my hands like in those videos. Also, putting my face so close to the gun (to aim) made me even more apprehensive. Felt really cool to fire this one. I have a little mark on my body where the butt of the gun is supposed to rest. Also a bruise on the bottom knuckle of my left pointer finger where I was holding the sliding mechanism. I think I held it too far up the slider (close the muzzle).

All in all, it was a good time. I'm really glad to have experienced this. No one should ever criticize or praise guns without having at least fired one first imo. It's like nothing I've ever experienced before. I want to go back sometime and try my hand at it again. Ideally, I like to have a few guns of my own and a small firiring range (indoor or outdoor) and just shoot some makeshift targets. They're pretty damn expensive though so not anytime in the near future.

KHarvey16

Lionheart1827 said:
I'm not sure of canada laws, but you only have to be 18 to buy a rifle/shotgun (except NYC and a few other places).

Harder to shoot yourself with a rifle. More expensive than renting a gun.

ajfoucault

I'm the proud owner of a Smith & Wesson 686 .357
revolver686.jpg

Total beauty.

Thats a sweet S&W. Did you just get it or have you had it for awhile?

Is there anybody here in Long island that has a pistol license? Just wanted to get an idea what its like to go through the process.

Yoritomo

KHarvey16 said:
Harder to shoot yourself with a rifle. More expensive than renting a gun.

I think I'd like to kill myself and void any possibility of life insurance for my surviving family... however I'd like to save money while doing it.

Bumping this thread up, anyone get anything new? Hit the range? Anything?

Some of my parts came in this week and I got a chance to put it in yesterday.
dsc0430t.jpg

All I'm missing now is the upper.

Golem - Do you know anything about 16" Carbine length uppers? I'm planning on picking up a cmmg 16" carbine length w/ dd 7.0 omega rail.

RapidCancel said:
Bumping this thread up, anyone get anything new? Hit the range? Anything?

Some of my parts came in this week and I got a chance to put it in yesterday.
All I'm missing now is the upper.

I haven't bought anything but I am currently gathering materials and getting set up to apply for my pistol license. It's a long and complicated process but I just want to get it over with. I'm either going to looking toward getting a Beretta 92 or a 1911 of some sort if I get the license.

Getting a pistol license on long island, ny is pretty annoying. For anyone that is wondering the process here ya go:

1) Fill out an application with 50 questions. Copy of birth certificate, proof of residence, 10 dollar application fee, must be notarized. All arrests and convictions must be explained in detail, even traffic tickets in the past 5 years.
2) 4 character references, cant be family or police officer, and no family combinations. They have to personally sign the application in addition to filling out a separate form that has to be notarized.
3) Mail or drop off at pistol bureau, wait a month or so.
4) Interview with officer at the bureau, fingerprinted, photo'd, 92 dollar money order. They go over your application just to confirm the answers, ask for character reference forms.
5) Wait another 5 months or so and hopefully your license comes in the mail. Throughout this period they dont just do a background check, they do a full investigation on you, including calling your spouse, etc etc.

Then once you get the license to buy and register a pistol:
1) Go to store and buy gun, you dont get to take the gun home instead you get a purchase order.
2) Take the purchase order to bureau, they confirm it and put a seal on it or something
3) Take back to store, pick up gun. Drive back to bureau to inspection and registration of gun.

Ugh. Just want to get this over with. And damn I hope this thread doesn't end up dying. It's one of the few gun threads that isn't shit up by anti-gun people.

^Goddamn that sounds like a HUGE pain. In Texas...I fill out a 2 page form, most of it being personal info, address, age, bdate and then answer about 10 yes/no questions. Hand the form over to the other person and sign it. They call in to do a background check which takes about 5 mins. And presto...pay and your on the way with your gun. Texas baby, we love our guns :lol

I've shot both the 92 and the 1911 and I would def recommend you get a 1911 instead.

It's not that the 92f, isn't a good gun, it's just that the 1911 is just has it all. It's like the ar15 of the pistol family. You can customize in many ways to fit your need. Not to mention it is an amazing gun to shoot. The .45 cal feels like a breeze with a fullsize 1911 and nothing else can quite match the history and just the sheer awesomeness that is the 1911 :lol The only down fall is the ammo capacity, but that's the same for every bigger caliber handgun.

RapidCancel said:
^Goddamn that sounds like a HUGE pain. In Texas...I fill out a 2 page form, most of it being personal info, address, age, bdate and then answer about 10 yes/no questions. Hand the form over to the other person and sign it. They call in to do a background check which takes about 5 mins. And presto...pay and your on the way with your gun. Texas baby, we love our guns :lol

I've shot both the 92 and the 1911 and I would def recommend you get a 1911 instead.

It's not that the 92f, isn't a good gun, it's just that the 1911 is just has it all. It's like the ar15 of the pistol family. You can customize in many ways to fit your need. Not to mention it is an amazing gun to shoot. The .45 cal feels like a breeze with a fullsize 1911 and nothing else can quite match the history and just the sheer awesomeness that is the 1911 :lol The only down fall is the ammo capacity, but that's the same for every bigger caliber handgun.

I know, you lucky texans. That kinda sounds like our policy on long guns. Just fill out the form, background check 5 minutes and youre out the door. Pistols are a totallllllyyyy different ball game here. Hell, its even worse in NYC, you have to get a license just to own long guns there. My brother is NYPD and he's allowed to have his work pistol and his off duty pistol, but hes not allowed to buy long guns.

Anyway, I'm having trouble deciding because ever since I was young I always wanted to get a 92. I was looking at the 1911s, too, but one thing I was a little worried about was most of them come only chambered in 45 and that ammo is a bit more pricey around here. 9mm is quite a bit cheaper. Whatever, I have at least 6 months to think it over. :)

Any recommendations on 1911s? I'm looking to spend at most 800, give or take 50 bucks. I was looking into Kimber, Taurus, and Springfield Armory.

Oh and its funny you mention capacity, since most of NY you can ONLY have a max of 10 rounds no matter what gun. :lol Fucking terrible I know.

Lionheart1827 said:
I know, you lucky texans. That kinda sounds like our policy on long guns. Just fill out the form, background check 5 minutes and youre out the door. Pistols are a totallllllyyyy different ball game here. Hell, its even worse in NYC, you have to get a license just to own long guns there. My brother is NYPD and he's allowed to have his work pistol and his off duty pistol, but hes not allowed to buy long guns.

Anyway, I'm having trouble deciding because ever since I was young I always wanted to get a 92. I was looking at the 1911s, too, but one thing I was a little worried about was most of them come only chambered in 45 and that ammo is a bit more pricey around here. 9mm is quite a bit cheaper. Whatever, I have at least 6 months to think it over. :)

Any recommendations on 1911s? I'm looking to spend at most 800, give or take 50 bucks. I was looking into Kimber, Taurus, and Springfield Armory.

Oh and its funny you mention capacity, since most of NY you can ONLY have a max of 10 rounds no matter what gun. :lol Fucking terrible I know.

Damn license to own long guns too? Deprived man, deprived.

Oh, but now your problems are solved. 1911's come in 9mm too, it's been around for awhile actually. :lol

Kimbers are a bit more on the expensive side. My cousin used to have Pro Carry II and although it was great to shoot, it kept having some FTE problems with it. He ended up selling it. I hear their full size 1911's are better though.

I currently have the Springfield Armory mil-spec, cost me about $800 after tax. If you plan on changing any parts to the gun, I would suggest get at least a milspec 1911. GI's have those horrible ww2 sights and you can't change em out either. If I remember correctly, you can't change the front sight on milspec though.

Those are the only ones I actually have experience with. I agree though, a box of .45 cost almost twice as much as a box of 9's. You can check out some 9mm 1911's though.

RapidCancel said:

Oh, but now your problems are solved. 1911's come in 9mm too, it's been around for awhile actually. :lol

Kimbers are a bit more on the expensive side. My cousin used to have Pro Carry II and although it was great to shoot, it kept having some FTE problems with it. He ended up selling it. I hear their full size 1911's are better though.

I currently have the Springfield Armory mil-spec, cost me about $800 after tax. If you plan on changing any parts to the gun, I would suggest get at least a milspec 1911. GI's have those horrible ww2 sights and you can't change em out either. If I remember correctly, you can't change the front sight on milspec though.

Those are the only ones I actually have experience with. I agree though, a box of .45 cost almost twice as much as a box of 9's. You can check out some 9mm 1911's though.

Yeah I feel bad for my bro. 2 weeks ago was his first time firing my bolt action .270 and he loved it. Said he cant wait to move back out onto long island so he can buy his own long guns and shotguns. It was fun shooting around with my .22 as well. The ammo is so damn cheap its incredible. A box of 550 rounds of .22 is 20 bucks. :lol

Interesting on the 9mm, I guess I need to research more into the 1911s because all I saw were either 45 or .22 :lol. Definitely looking into getting a full framed one rather than a smaller one.

KHarvey16

Lionheart1827 said:
Yeah I feel bad for my bro. 2 weeks ago was his first time firing my bolt action .270 and he loved it. Said he cant wait to move back out onto long island so he can buy his own long guns and shotguns. It was fun shooting around with my .22 as well. The ammo is so damn cheap its incredible. A box of 550 rounds of .22 is 20 bucks. :lol

Interesting on the 9mm, I guess I need to research more into the 1911s because all I saw were either 45 or .22 :lol. Definitely looking into getting a full framed one rather than a smaller one.

That SVI site has a gunbuilder feature that lets you customize and select a ton of different rounds(.38, .40, 45, .357, 9mm, 10mm). I'm sure they're expensive from that place but at least it demonstrates the stuff exists, so it's just a matter of finding it.

Sallokin

RapidCancel said:

Don't forget about conversion kits. If you're buying a full sized 1911 chances are there's a conversion kit available for a decent price.

I also wanted to comment on your cousin's FTE problem with his Pro Carry II. I have that exact gun and used to have the same problems. For some reason if you tend to let your holding arm slack after firing you're going to have this problem. The best way to combat this is to push forward with your holding arm and pull back with your supporting hand. Ever since I was shown this at my gun club I haven't had an FTE in that particular pistol in over 400 or so rounds put through the barrel when it used to happen almost every time I put a clip in.

I've found it happens a lot with certain types of ammo too.

My local gun club just got an FS2000 and a SCAR H in for rental. Can't wait to try those babies out!

Got a M9 Military style model, just love the style.

Gun show this weekend down here, been wanting to go try and pick up a Jericho in either a .40 or .45, last time all I could get a hold of was a 9mm version and just didn't want that.

Sallokin

BattleMonkey said:
Got a M9 Military style model, just love the style.

Gun show this weekend down here, been wanting to go try and pick up a Jericho in either a .40 or .45, last time all I could get a hold of was a 9mm version and just didn't want that.

You won't be disappointed. I have the old style 941F and a good friend of mine has the Baby Eagle II with the picatinny rail system and the nice grooved grip. It's a compact .40 and fires beautifully.

Lionheart1827 said:

Lol..rounds for .22's are damn cheap. My cousin bought the p22 just for plinking. I almost want to get a .22 rifle just for the cheap ammo.

Here some 9mm 1911's you can check out.
STI Trojan
STI Ranger
There's more from STI too: http://www.stiguns.com/guns/
Kimber Aegis II
SA EMP, though its not a full size.

Sallokin said:
I also wanted to comment on your cousin's FTE problem with his Pro Carry II. I have that exact gun and used to have the same problems. For some reason if you tend to let your holding arm slack after firing you're going to have this problem. The best way to combat this is to push forward with your holding arm and pull back with your supporting hand. Ever since I was shown this at my gun club I haven't had an FTE in that particular pistol in over 400 or so rounds put through the barrel when it used to happen almost every time I put a clip in.

I've found it happens a lot with certain types of ammo too.

Yeah, it seemed like ammo was a big issue too. It would FTE a lot of the blazerbrass, but only seemed to do it to a few of the winchester white boxes. If only I could try your advice..too bad he sold it though. The only thing I remember more than anything about that gun was the casing loved to fly back and hit me in the face :lol

Aselith

dsc0420m.jpg

dsc0430t.jpg

It's a little foreboding that this thread has turned into you slowly building a gun over time. If this were a movie, it would be leading up to something sinister.

Sallokin

RapidCancel said:
The only thing I remember more than anything about that gun was the casing loved to fly back and hit me in the face :lol

LMAO yeah I used to only wear my glasses when I shot until a random hot casing got caught between my glasses tops and my eyebrow. Never. Again. I'm also a lefty so this tends to happen a lot to me lol.

Boonoo

RapidCancel said:
Lol..rounds for .22's are damn cheap. My cousin bought the p22 just for plinking. I almost want to get a .22 rifle just for the cheap ammo.
My family has a couple .22 rifles (and a .22 pistol) for plinking out on our property.
These lever action .22s are a ton of fun.

Aselith said:
It's a little foreboding that this thread has turned into you slowly building a gun over time. If this were a movie, it would be leading up to something sinister.

Something sinister happened already; to my wallet. :lol

Sallokin said:
LMAO yeah I used to only wear my glasses when I shot until a random hot casing got caught between my glasses tops and my eyebrow. Never. Again. I'm also a lefty so this tends to happen a lot to me lol.

Lol, that's happened to me quite a few times now. But I don't wear contacts, and some of the goggles I've tried feel bad over my glasses...so I just opted to stay with the glasses.

Boonoo said:
My family has a couple .22 rifles (and a .22 pistol) for plinking out on our property.
These lever action .22s are a ton of fun.

It's my dream to one day be able to own a large enough land to where I can go shooting out back. Oh man..I used to have a bb gun that was lever action like those...good times.

Aselith

RapidCancel said:
Something sinister happened already; to my wallet. :lol

I know a place where they receive 2.5 million dollars every month and just two old security guards to guard it. It would be easy as pie. With your gun and my brain and my cousin's stolen car, we could be rich in less than an hour. Think what you could do with $800,000. You in?

dIEHARD

Fleer
Lionheart1827 said:
Is this for self defence? I would strongly recommend getting the .45 over the 9mm. Give a look at the Kimber Custom II ( i posted a picture early in the thread)

diehard said:
Is this for self defence? I would strongly recommend getting the .45 over the 9mm. Give a look at the Kimber Custom II ( i posted a picture early in the thread)

Nah just for target shooting and fun. I dont carry my guns in public unless I'm driving to a range. It's illegal unless you get an unrestricted carry license, which is EXTREMELY rare to have here. If you meant home defense, well thats my shotguns job.:D

kingofrod

Can anyone recommend a good 1911 copy, as I can't really afford the Colt model. I live really close to a pretty great gun store (budsgunshop.com) and I'm sure they could help me get a certain make if they don't have it already, but I don't know anything about gun brands and would like to be informed before heading in. I'd like to spend less than $500 if that helps.

As of right now, I have a Ruger 22/45, an old .22 rifle with a scope, and a Mosin-Nagant.

This thread is pretty awesome!

Aselith said:
I know a place where they receive 2.5 million dollars every month and just two old security guards to guard it. It would be easy as pie. With your gun and my brain and my cousin's stolen car, we could be rich in less than an hour. Think what you could do with $800,000. You in?

Damn the car is already stolen? That's just asking for ALL SORTS OF AWESOMENESS. OF COURSE I'M IN :lol

kingofrod said:
Can anyone recommend a good 1911 copy, as I can't really afford the Colt model. I live really close to a pretty great gun store (budsgunshop.com) and I'm sure they could help me get a certain make if they don't have it already, but I don't know anything about gun brands and would like to be informed before heading in. I'd like to spend less than $500 if that helps.

As of right now, I have a Ruger 22/45, an old .22 rifle with a scope, and a Mosin-Nagant.

This thread is pretty awesome!

If you want a really good cheap 1911, look up Rock Island Armory. From everyone that I've talked to that have bought them, they were really happy with it. Again, I would suggest to not get the GI version though.

Aselith

RapidCancel said:
Damn the car is already stolen? That's just asking for ALL SORTS OF AWESOMENESS. OF COURSE I'M IN :lol

Great! Well, I was thinking...my cousin doesn't actually own the car since it's stolen so I really don't think he deserves a cut. Maybe we could "deal him out" after the caper...I can see by the shocked look on your face that you think my idea is repugnant but just think for a minute. Think how much better things would be for you with $1.25 million rather than a measly $800k. Besides, he's a thief. Who will even miss him? Just think about it.

stldave2

Glad I'm not the only guy who likes guns on here...

Carry weapons:
Sig P226
Kimber Pro CDPII
Ruger LCP
Walther PPS

Home Defense:
Remington 870 Tactical shotgun

Rifles:
Remington 700 .308 w/ Leopuld optics
ASA ar15 w/ 37mm launcher
CMMG gas piston m4
AK47
Polish Tantal AK74

stldave2

RapidCancel said:
If you want a really good cheap 1911, look up Rock Island Armory. From everyone that I've talked to that have bought them, they were really happy with it. Again, I would suggest to not get the GI version though.

I was going to say the same thing, my buddy got one... new grips and a trigger job and that thing felt great!

stldave2 said:
Glad I'm not the only guy who likes guns on here...

Carry weapons:
Sig P226
Kimber Pro CDPII
Ruger LCP
Walther PPS

Home Defense:
Remington 870 Tactical shotgun

Rifles:
Remington 700 .308 w/ Leopuld optics
ASA ar15 w/ 37mm launcher
CMMG gas piston m4
AK47
Polish Tantal AK74

What

Willectro

Banned
Agent Ironside said:
Ill post pics as soon as I get my papers back from the ATF, but yeah, here is what I got so far.

Armalite Lower (got lucky and found one at a gunshow)
Armalite Trigger assembly
Surefire 6P with Vltor mount
Ergo Grip
BCM Complete Bolt

Will be purchasing

BCM 11.5 Upper with DD lite 10.0 Rail
Vltor Emod stock
Eotech 512

Cant wait, to bad the ATF takes their sweet time.

I will say one thing, BCM makes some good stuff, all mil spec and up there with the best, if not the best.

Sounds Nice. Make sure to post pics when you get it all together. I love the EoTech 512.

stldave2

RapidCancel said:
^:lol That's pretty awesome, how heavy is that thing?

Actually it isn't heavy at all. To be honest it is really low tech... just a rail with a tube mounted to it and a simple trigger mechanism. You have to manually eject the casings so there isn't any complicated machinery involved.

golem

My friend got a new toy so we went out yesterday...

3925358646_bff8896d6a_o.jpg

Vector Arms AK

RapidCancel said:
Golem - Do you know anything about 16" Carbine length uppers? I'm planning on picking up a cmmg 16" carbine length w/ dd 7.0 omega rail.
Yeah my friend has the Carbine upper, its nice. I personally went with the midlength tho. For Carbine looks you might want to consider 14.5+flash hider

Also Riflegear has some CMMG uppers with integrated rails
http://www.riflegear.com/c-44-16-uppers.aspx

^ I e-mailed CMMG and they said getting a mid length from them would be a 3 month wait...so I went ahead and ordered the CMMG Carbine Length + DD Omega 7.0 for an extra 200 from AIMS. I just couldn't wait. :lol

golem

RapidCancel said:
^ I e-mailed CMMG and they said getting a mid length from them would be a 3 month wait...so I went ahead and ordered the CMMG Carbine Length + DD Omega 7.0 for an extra 200 from AIMS. I just couldn't wait. :lol
cool, thats a great setup!

For Concealed-Gaf, what do you use for carrying your concealed? Carry in a bookbag or some other case? Leg holsters, in pants, etc? I would prefer to wear one of my shoulder holsters for comfort but this is Florida, it's friggin hot to wear anything to hide a weapon.

Looking at inside pants concealed holsters but it seems like it will be extremely painful to wear. Whenever I carry it's right now in a book bag.

stldave2

BattleMonkey said:
For Concealed-Gaf, what do you use for carrying your concealed? Carry in a bookbag or some other case? Leg holsters, in pants, etc? I would prefer to wear one of my shoulder holsters for comfort but this is Florida, it's friggin hot to wear anything to hide a weapon.

Looking at inside pants concealed holsters but it seems like it will be extremely painful to wear. Whenever I carry it's right now in a book bag.

Milt Sparks. All my holsters are from them, but the 6-8 month wait kinda sucks.

andycapps

My main gun is my Glock 23, which is the compact version of the .40. Not the subcompact, the grip is too small for my hands, but this version makes it a bit easier to carry if I want to. I got my concealed carry permit a while back, but rarely do so. It's more so to have the license in case I needed to and in case I had to actually use my weapon to hurt another human (God forbid). But anyway, I have it mainly for home defense with some Glacer safety bullets in it so I don't hit the person and then the bullet go through them and hit someone or something else. When my brother was a cop, this was the same model he had, so he gave me his old holster that he had, really nice. Forget what it is though. Like I said, I don't carry often and I'm not the type to carry it around on a holster anyway. This isn't the wild west.. :lol

This is a photo of a similar setup to mine, I changed the slide release to be easier to release with one hand as well as couple of other little things, but haven't changed the grip like a lot of people do, yet anyway.

glock23.jpg

I also have a 12 gauge shotgun and a .410 that I inherited from my grandfather. Forget what kind they are, but if interested I'll post them up when I get home. Nothing too fancy. I unfortunately didn't get one of his Remington's as I was one of the younger grandkids so had a lower pick.

It's nice seeing so many (hopefully) responsible gun owners here on gaf.

I own 2 Springfield SD 9mm, the full size model and the subcompact. Concealed carry is open to anyone of age here in Alaska without a permit so I often have the subcompact with me. I drool over the new xdms.

I also own a 30-30 Marlin lever action and .22 Remington rifle. I don't have any real interest in collecting, but I'd like to get an 870 Remington, Springfield socom II, and a hk usp .45. :lol

Quagm1r3

Me n' my dad are thinking of buying a high caliber revolver to shoot at the range. They're dead accurate, but not semi-automatic unfortunately.

SSJChar

Yup i own some guns. Being a gun owner in canada can be abit of a hassle, and there is a markup on prices, and we can't own many rifles/handguns that are available in the states, but theres still a decent selection here. i own:
Taurus Tracker SS revolver in 22lr
Baikal target pistol in 22lr
H&R revolver in 22lr
Astra pistol in 22lr
Marlin boltaction in 22lr
Norinco M14 in .308
As you can see i own alot of rimfires, as its so much cheaper to shoot. The norinco i just had to buy because the price was good and hey, might as well get it. it costed... 475 after taxes and shipping i think? Came with 3 mags and a sling and was brand new. I dont know if i'll ever shoot it but hey, atleast i have one now.
What i want in the future is a marlin 39AS lever action 22lr rifle, and a izhmash biathlon basic in 22lr.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
MAn, i never really had a stance on gun ownership until i read this thread. Now i wish i lived in the US for this reason (fuck allowing guns in the UK i'm not having some these absolute retards running around with guns).

More pictures of your guns!

Top Bottom