• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone here have a gaming laptop that they bring around with them to game on the go?

Estellex

There is heavy traffic when I clock out of work usually so I would just stay in the office and play some games on my gaming laptop for an hour or two. I feel like that's what makes gaming laptops so great is that you can game on the go compared to desktops.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Most gaming laptops look like some teenage edgelord designed it.
And i feel embarrassed to even show it in public.

They are bulky as hell and the power brick is absurd.

They wont even run normal without being plugged. So i am not sure how "mobile" they really are.

Sadly I returned 2 gaming laptops.
Strix gtx1070 laptop
Alienware r4 15 laptop
2 bsod day 1 was supposed to update bios and rgb software. Uninstall drivers etc.
On a product that cost 2600 euros that is just poor.

It def is cool if you need that extra power but i think i will just stick to my nintendo switch.

Fyi i ended up buying a surface pro 2017 model + switch.

Greedings

I play Rome total war 2 and hearthstone on my MacBook Pro.
When I’m travelling I usually don’t have time to play games though.

YayNJ

Banned
I feel like a dork playing games on my phone in public so no chance in hell I'm lugging a gaming laptop around with me just incase I have a spare hour or two.

petran79

Banned
I only played on a train since it had a powersurge available and I used a netbook on a bus once.
A DS was preferable

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Everytime i think about maybe getting a laptop that can also play games I search by weight and then I give up.

I dont really want a laptop more than 3 max 3.5 pounds.

I don't see a point in gaming laptop - you can play some nice indies even on low power ultrabooks if you want, then we also have Switch/Vita and finally as last resort there are mobile phones.

CeeJay

I rarely take my gaming laptop on the go but I wouldn't ever swap it for a desktop. I got a console for games that are best suited to a TV and controller but have the option to play a turn based strategy game on the laptop while also fully interacting with the family and watching something on the TV all while sat on the sofa. Then at the end of the session I can just pack it all into a rucksack that takes up a tiny amount of space. Convenience and portability isn't just for outside the house.

ReBurn

I already carry my work laptop. I'm not going to carry another so that I can play games, too. I just use my iPad if I'm bored.

I never play games in public. Just not my thing.

I’ve thought about grabbing a gaming laptop to replace my desktop, but I could never find one that fit my criteria. That being not ridiculously heavy, no disgusting gamer aesthetic, and within my budget.

The only gaming laptop I’ve found that I didn’t hate is the Blade Mercury. Too expensive though.

kunonabi

I just bought a nice inconspicuous gaming laptop but it's way too noisy to play out and about. I only have Nightcry which isnt really suited to outside playing anyway. I dont really do PC gaming anyway.

Ulysses 31

Got a switch for that.

But I got an Asus Zephyrus that could do the job if I felt the need to play PC games outside.

JCK75

I spent a pretty crazy amount of money on mine (though it seems reasonable when you think about what people spend on lesser macbooks)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BSXCCHK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

But it's thin, light and has outstanding battery life while running every major game I throw at it like butter.

Other perks are that is uses one stick of 16GB DDR4 so you can add a second stick to take it to 32GB easily, it also has a second M.2 slot so I added a second 1TB Samsung EVO.

It's also a very quiet machine that can get a bit hot, if you can handle the fans being louder you hit FN+ESC and it cycles fan modes and you can set them to max and the machine stays cool though is a little loud.

I use it with my HTC vive so I can set up and play VR in various rooms of the house, though I do bring it to work on occasion (not often because I turned my workstations in both of my offices into gaming machines). I love that laptop so much it's crazy.

Last edited:

Fbh

I've got one because I needed something that would work well doing some graphical stuff and video editing on the go and since I don't own a desktop gaming PC I thought it would be nice to get something that can also handle Pc games.

On the go I mostly use it for work though . Most of the gaming I do at home and if I want some gaming for a non business related trip I just take my Switch

Most gaming laptops look like some teenage edgelord designed it.
And i feel embarrassed to even show it in public.
Yeah this is a big issue.
I got one of the less edgier ones and it still looks edgy as hell.

On that note I got a Black Friday email from some retailer and they had the newer Legion laptops from Lenovo. I was surprised to see that they realised that it's possible to make affordable gaming laptops that don't look horrible:

lenovo-laptop-legion-y530-hero.png

No unnecessary lights/leds everywhere, no edgy shapes, no red coloured parts, no cringy logo (ehem..."republic of gamers")

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Gaming laptops aren’t really made to “ game on the go” more like “ stop somewhere and plug in and then game”

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I've got one because I needed something that would work well doing some graphical stuff and video editing on the go and since I don't own a desktop gaming PC I thought it would be nice to get something that can also handle Pc games.

On the go I mostly use it for work though . Most of the gaming I do at home and if I want some gaming for a non business related trip I just take my Switch

Yeah this is a big issue.
I got one of the less edgier ones and it still looks edgy as hell.

On that note I got a Black Friday email from some retailer and they had the newer Legion laptops from Lenovo and I was surprised to see that they realised that it's possible to make affordable gaming laptops that don't look horrible:

lenovo-laptop-legion-y530-hero.png

No unnecessary lights/leds everywhere, no edgy shapes, no red coloured parts, no cringy logo (ehem..."republic of gamers")

wow next to that razer (mind the ugly as sin logo) this actually looks normal
glad to see more manufacturers are chiming in.

On that note I got a Black Friday email from some retailer and they had the newer Legion laptops from Lenovo and I was surprised to see that they realised that it's possible to make affordable gaming laptops that don't look horrible:

Yeah the new Legion ones are a step in the right direction. The biggest thing I see is why can’t windows laptops just use centered trackpads?! Off center trackpads are the worst.

The Dell XPS and the Razer Blade are the only two windows laptops I like the look of.

I don't have a gaming laptop, but I do use my MacBook Pro to play indies or VNs. Stuff that doesn't have a Switch version (currently CrossCode... and when Secrets of Grindea gets a Mac Version I'll be playing this as well).

I'd never play AAA games on it, though. Feels stupid when the battery only lasts 1-2 hours with something more demanding.

DeathRacker

Neo Member
if you are gamer then probbably gaming laptop is best fior you. Although Gaming laptops are very expensive in the market but its depend upon your configurations. if you have a tight budget then here is a good list is available https://guruverdict.com/best-gaming-laptops-under-500-dollars/. Generally i dont like gaming laptops beacuse of its beats design you can not out thier in your office with that gaming laptop. i would prefer a decent general purpose laptop that would be use for both use Like Asus Vivobook F510UA. these kind of laptops i think perform well you can use it in your office or for playing games.

KiteGr

I have one, but I mostly play Guild Wars 2 on it, and the occasional indie or retro.

The main reason these things break down is overheating from gaming, or so the IT guys say. I avoid playing to heavy stuff on them.

BANGS

Banned
I don't often bring my laptop with me, but if I'm going on a business trip or something you better believe it's coming with me...

Shin

Banned
Asus G752VY bought it in 2016, haven't gamed on it since I did.
It's ugly, heavy, pricey and shitty build quality all-around.

As far as gaming laptop goes I hold Alienware in high regard, quality, service, price.
But this guy right here, man this thing is sexy to me for a gaming laptop:

I would have so bought it if it ever came in a 17' version and with some customizing :/
Laptop because I used to travel between different countries so just like you at work but more prolonged.

Last edited:

kingbean

I had a cheap Acer Nitro for about 700 bucks. It came with a gtx1050 and a decent 8th gen i5. It played games well enough.

Kanojo23

I have a lightweight laptop Acer that I always bring to my school. Every recess, my friends and I play games with low graphics. I couldn't see that much but I enjoyed it.

ancelotti

I live overseas so my main machine is now an HP Omen 17 (i7/1070/16GB/Gsync) and it's been absolutely fantastic. For the most part it is a desktop replacement, however I do bring it with me on longer trips, and occasionally I'll bust it out if I'm stuck in an airport lounge for a while (although it usually stays in the backpack until I'm at the destination). I've undervolted the CPU so throttling isn't an issue, and the pitch of the fan whine is quite low so it doesn't bother me even at high RPMs. I think for pure mobile gaming there is enough on phone/tablet to live in that ecosystem during commutes. I always thought I would go back to desktop once I settled down again, but now I don't see much value in asynchronously upgrading a system.

scalman

Legion y520 here. With i7 7700hq and gtx 1060 6gb. Runs everything i tried on high/ultra on 1080p and i tak it with me on go often . on longer car trips using in car , at work and at home its pluged to 45' hdtv. Its best thing for all needs. Knew why i bough it and use it fully. I carry it in my bag 2-4 days a week.
With that all my libraries are digital only in it. Everything music movies video games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom