• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPad Pro |OT|

//ARCANUM

Does it make sense to get an ipad pro if you will never use a stylus or keyboard?

To me, the 10.5" screen size is just perfect. Makes the 9.7" feel super old and outdated. It's not that big of a difference size wise, but it just feels like a much more expansive screen in your hands.

Also, you get promotion which is super smooth and looks great (you really have to see it in person). Plus you get the most powerful iPad available now, so you're future proofing yourself too.

I really love the 10.5" and can't recommend it enough.

redlemon

I don't see a regular ipad thread so I'll ask here. Is the ipad mini 2 still okay to buy? I'm mainly going to use it to read manga and comics and maybe some games so I'm thinking of getting a 128gb refurb

Nelo Ice

Banned
So how long did it take for the last pro to have a sale/deal?. I'm almost considering waiting for Fall. But aside from that I want a 10.5 now since I'm about to get a few bonuses from work in the form of a visa gift cards and of course I want to burn them on a iPad pro Wi-Fi since I would get nearly enough to cover a 64gb though I think I'll spring for a 256gb since I likely won't upgrade for awhile. I'm mainly going to be using it for comics, gaming and general stuff like browsing, Netflix etc.

ESBL

I don't see a regular ipad thread so I'll ask here. Is the ipad mini 2 still okay to buy? I'm mainly going to use it to read manga and comics and maybe some games so I'm thinking of getting a 128gb refurb

How much are you getting it for? You can get the Mini 4 128gb WiFi model from Best Buy for $299 new, even then I'd still argue that the 2017 iPad is a better buy.

J_Viper

Don't see a regular IPad thread, so I'll ask here

I have a 2017 IPad and it's great, but being able to see my reflection when trying to watch Netflix is driving me fucking loco.

Is there a screen protector that reduces the reflection?

Maybe that's a dumb question, but I've never owned a tablet before so I'm not sure if this is just a common issue with them.

Deku Tree

I have a 2017 IPad and it's great, but being able to see my reflection when trying to watch Netflix is driving me fucking loco.

Maybe that's a dumb question, but I've never owned a tablet before so I'm not sure if this is just a common issue with them.

Are you watching in the Sun? Most tablets are not great to watch in direct sunlight.

Number45

This is actually the reason I didn't pick up the refreshed iPad, and waited for the Pro. It's not perfect on the Pro (bright light still reflects, obviously) but it's a MASSIVE step up from my previous iPad for watching stuff.

Not much help for your actual question though, sorry!

J_Viper

Are you watching in the Sun? Most tablets are not great to watch in direct sunlight.

Well I'm indoors, but I'm sitting right beside a window where a decent amount of sunlight comes through

This is actually the reason I didn't pick up the refreshed iPad, and waited for the Pro. It's not perfect on the Pro (bright light still reflects, obviously) but it's a MASSIVE step up from my previous iPad for watching stuff.

Not much help for your actual question though, sorry!

lol it's all good!

I was thinking about a Pro, but I personally couldn't justify the extra $350 difference when I mostly gonna use it for reading and streaming.

To me, the 10.5" screen size is just perfect. Makes the 9.7" feel super old and outdated. It's not that big of a difference size wise, but it just feels like a much more expansive screen in your hands.

Also, you get promotion which is super smooth and looks great (you really have to see it in person). Plus you get the most powerful iPad available now, so you're future proofing yourself too.

I really love the 10.5" and can't recommend it enough.

Future proofing seems silly when apple literally determines when it stops supporting things, regardless of specs.

Also, I would say for most it's not worth almost double the price of the normal ipad. Especially if you're not going to use the two things apple childishly locks behind the "pro" tag.

J-Viper, there should be matte screen protectors that should give you less reflection. I don't have an iPad yet but they definitely had them for my surface and other tablets so I'd be shocked if iPad didn't also have them.

Vyer

Does it make sense to get an ipad pro if you will never use a stylus or keyboard?

removing those considerations, you're looking at form factor (bigger screen), screen quality and performance, which translates to how long before you see ios updates that actually effect that performance. (it'll probably be a while). not that the regular ipad isn't also a good performing tablet itself, of course.

regular ipad also comes in lower storage tiers. pro has better cameras for photo/video (if you're into that sort of thing). Regular iPad has 2 speakers as opposed to four, and the first gen TouchID (IIRC).

so it depends on what that's worth to you

Aiii

So not worth it
Bought Goodnotes 4 last night and I can't recommend it enough for note taking. Wish I could put it as the default notes app to boot when tapping the lock screen with the Pencil.

It has tons of great features, and the OCR function is stellar, I have godawful handwriting and it recognises all of it.

Bought Goodnotes 4 last night and I can't recommend it enough for note taking. Wish I could put it as the default notes app to boot when tapping the lock screen with the Pencil.

It has tons of great features, and the OCR function is stellar, I have godawful handwriting and it recognises all of it.

Seconded, this app is indepensable for me

Deku Tree

Did you try Notability?

Number45

Does anyone have recommendations for screen cleaning? Never quite sure what kind of cloth would be best to get rid of dust and fingerprints.

kaskade

How are you guys liking it after having it for a bit now?If I get one I'd like to use it as a laptop replacement. My MBA feels like it's starting to age and I want a retina screen. I'm trying to save some cash over the summer and just take whatever I get for my Bday in september and put it towards it, if I do it I'm probably going to get the whole combo with the keyboard and pencil.

I got a new little side job and I have to do some light photo editing and design so the idea of being able to drag and drop text and all that with Pixelmator for iOS looks so nice.

How are you guys liking it after having it for a bit now?If I get one I'd like to use it as a laptop replacement. My MBA feels like it's starting to age and I want a retina screen. I'm trying to save some cash over the summer and just take whatever I get for my Bday in september and put it towards it, if I do it I'm probably going to get the whole combo with the keyboard and pencil.

I got a new little side job and I have to do some light photo editing and design so the idea of being able to drag and drop text and all that with Pixelmator for iOS looks so nice.

Still love it. Still likely the best computer I’ve ever owned

Cyport

I've encountered a small but annoying bug in the music app with my 10.5 iPad Pro. When I got the iPad, the now playing part would only take up a 1/4 of the screen so I could browse music and see the now playing window (useful to see lyrics while browsing).

For some reason in the past few days, the now playing part seems to take up the whole screen when I tap on it. It doesn't seem intentional too as when you minimise it, it swipes down to the left then jumps to the right 1/4 of the screen like a bug of some sort. I did a bit of googling but no luck.

I've encountered a small but annoying bug in the music app with my 10.5 iPad Pro. When I got the iPad, the now playing part would only take up a 1/4 of the screen so I could browse music and see the now playing window (useful to see lyrics while browsing).

For some reason in the past few days, the now playing part seems to take up the whole screen when I tap on it. It doesn't seem intentional too as when you minimise it, it swipes down to the left then jumps to the right 1/4 of the screen like a bug of some sort. I did a bit of googling but no luck.

Are you able to post a picture? I'm not sure I follow

Cyport

Are you able to post a picture? I'm not sure I follow

s4I54Gn.jpg

Here's the best way to show it in a 3 step process.

It happens landscape too.

Vyer

Got my 10.5. The screen improvements are of course great (that laminated screen + 120hz is 🔥) but honestly I'm just as happy about having touchid 2.0

Either way the tablet is a beast

Have you force closed the Music app and rebooted the iPad?

jiiikoo

Banned
Just recieved an email from Verkkokauppa (Finnish store) that my 64Gb gold iPad Pro has been shipped. Never even had an iPad and the last tablet I've used has been the very first Google Nexus tablet so I guess it's a huge step-up from that. Can't wait for monday.

kaskade

Got my 10.5. The screen improvements are of course great (that laminated screen + 120hz is 🔥) but honestly I'm just as happy about having touchid 2.0

Either way the tablet is a beast

Have you force closed the Music app and rebooted the iPad?

Does this have a physical home button still? or is it like iPhone with taptic?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
More of an os issue but maybe you can help.

iCloud storage claims to have used 8.5 g of 5 (not typo) and won't backup anymore. When I try to clear space it shows a total of two backups(iPhone and iPad) totaling just over three gigs. I've deleted most of the apps (photos etc) data too. Phone still insists there's zero space for backup.

Vyer

Yeah I tried deleting the app, rebooting then reinstalling it to no luck. Such a strange bug it looks like I might have to wait for iOS 11 for it to be fixed :(

Yeah that is weird. Googling around it looks like there are other people coming across that randomly.

Does this have a physical home button still? or is it like iPhone with taptic?

Yeah, as mentioned, physical still.

iCloud storage claims to have used 8.5 g of 5 (not typo) and won't backup anymore. When I try to clear space it shows a total of two backups(iPhone and iPad) totaling just over three gigs. I've deleted most of the apps (photos etc) data too. Phone still insists there's zero space for backup.

Sounds like someone needs a .99 a month iCloud upgrade!

seriously that is strange. Maybe log into iCloud.com make sure it's reading your devices correctly

Log into iCloud.com and see what it says under settings, see if it confirms the same number

Aiii

So not worth it
I'm having trouble deciding between a 64GB or 256GB iPad Pro 10.5.

One's $525 and the other is $625. Which one should I choose?

64 if you are like me and have everything accessible through streaming and cloud. 256 if you are retro and store media on your device.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I'm having trouble deciding between a 64GB or 256GB iPad Pro 10.5.

One's $525 and the other is $625. Which one should I choose?
Where are you getting it that cheap? I'd totally buy the 256gb at $625. Also I may get one soon and I'd prolly go with the 256gb since I won't be upgrading it for years so may as well get decent storage.

Shearie

Always get at least the first storage option that seems overkill if you can afford it. You never want to have the feeling that you're even close to low storage.

Chopini

Neo Member
Just got my new iPad Pro 12.9. It is such a big upgrade from iPad Air 1. Never experience this large leaps even from iPad 2 > Air is not even comparable. The screen is really beautiful with 120hz, color, and laminated screen. It is really responsive. True tone is also such a great feature, I like it even more than night mode. The 4 speakers also sound great, my wife really enjoy watching music video or tv shows on it.

I think 10.5 or 9.7 is too small for me and with that size I prefer using my iPhone 6s+ instead. I think 2017 iPad pro is what the iPad should be in the first place. It is the first time Apple get it right.

Apt101

If you had to choose between an iPad Pro with keyboard case or a Macbook Air for an all-around traveling solution, work and play, which do you guys think is the better option?

I am leaning towards a Macbook Air for the mouse so I can use my VMware Horizon virtual desktop efficiently. But the iPad Pro w/ keyboard and Pencil has it's perks as well. I no longer need my gaming laptop and want to consolidate my iPad Air and Chromebook into one solution that's powerful enough to get work done.

I suppose a Dell XPS is another solution, but I don't want to spend more than $1k before taxes.

Deku Tree

If you had to choose between an iPad Pro with keyboard case or a Macbook Air for an all-around traveling solution, work and play, which do you guys think is the better option?

I am leaning towards a Macbook Air for the mouse so I can use my VMware Horizon virtual desktop efficiently. But the iPad Pro w/ keyboard and Pencil has it's perks as well. I no longer need my gaming laptop and want to consolidate my iPad Air and Chromebook into one solution that's powerful enough to get work done.

I suppose a Dell XPS is another solution, but I don't want to spend more than $1k before taxes.

http://www.speirs.org/blog/2015/11/30/can-the-macbook-pro-replace-your-ipad

Well the iPad Pro is the better device. It just depends on if you need certain functionality that you can do on it.

Pifje

Got the 10.5" Space Grey 64 Gb model, and good lord is it sleek looking and fast.

The 120 Hz panel is obviously smooth as hell, but at least for my use cases it does not really bring benefits other than being really smooth in all of the animations unless I would start using drawing with the pen, or gaming. Feels like an OLED panel instead of 120 Hz would have suited me more, and I don't really know whether I will start using some "Pro apps" in the future.

And speaking of being sleek, the bigger screen and smaller bezels + the thinness make the device feel almost too sleek and delicate to the point I would probably be scared of taking it with me outside for some reading in the hammock. I would have to think twice every time I'd put it down somewhere. The screen probably gets cracked even easier with the narrow bezels.

I have always been super tempted by new technology, and back in 2012 I got the 3rd generation iPad due to the retina. Same thing this time with the 120 Hz panel, iPhone cameras, A10X chip and all that, but now I'm actually considering downgrading to the basic iPad that costs about 330 € on offer. That is half the price, but it probably still does the reading, websurfing, media comsumption, etc. well enough.

Unless the unlaminated display really puts me off, I will go at least see that in the store.

SegaShack

Been looking for a week to find 12.9 Space Grey. It's OOS everytime I check the BB and Apple website. Do any other stores sell them?

Also would it be a mistake to get 64 GBs? I have 70 GBs of music on my phone but thats for my car.

pprkut

Neo Member
Been looking for a week to find 12.9 Space Grey. It's OOS everytime I check the BB and Apple website. Do any other stores sell them?

Also would it be a mistake to get 64 GBs? I have 70 GBs of music on my phone but thats for my car.

I've been thinking about this too. The 64 GB SG and the 256 gold + silver are easier to find than 256 SG, but idk if I'll like the white bezel.

Top Bottom