• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Jake.

in the last few weeks i've started having a battery issue with my 6s where it will randomly shut down between 10-35ish% (usually when i'm in the middle of using it. it will die, and say the battery is dead, but then when i plug it in to charge and turn on it'll be at whatever % it died at.

any 'fixes'? i've had it since november. updated to latest iOS at the start of the week. it seems to be a similar issue to this:

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-6s-turning-off-at-10-20.1954530/

in the last few weeks i've started having a battery issue with my 6s where it will randomly shut down between 10-35ish% (usually when i'm in the middle of using it. it will die, and say the battery is dead, but then when i plug it in to charge and turn on it'll be at whatever % it died at.

any 'fixes'? i've had it since november. updated to latest iOS at the start of the week. it seems to be a similar issue to this:

I brought mine in to a Genius Bar for this once (6, not 6S) and they really had no idea what to do, but after having to take my word for it once, the second time around their tech saw it in person when the replacement shut down at 15%. We tried starting fresh (without the backup) to no avail. I'm not sure the issue got fixed, but they did send a complete hardware report to home base and swapped me with a replacement phone again.

I'd say if it keeps happening, just take it in and see if they replace it. But I'm not convinced it's a battery defect.

I've had this happen with my 6 Plus like 6 months after launch. I took it to the Genius Bar and thy ran battery diagnostics on it and in my case it was a defective battery. It had like 100 charge cycles on it, but was only reporting that it was holding 50% of its original capacity. They did a battery replacement and that fixed things.

It could be a few different things. The chances it's a bad battery are honestly pretty low, despite how things seem. The way you might be able to fix it at home is the next time it dies at 15%, plug it into a charger and when it turns on, immediately pull it off the charger and let it die again (since it should be turning on at 15%). I've had that happen to me when my battery died at like 7%, fixed it right up. If that doesn't work it could be the battery firmware, which is fixed by a restore through iTunes. Back your stuff up, plug in, and restore! Then put all your stuff back. If all that doesn't work then I'd say it's likely to be the battery itself, but it's truly super rare for batteries to fail within a year, even two years

Jake.

thanks for the suggestions. re: this battery issue, i noticed that it always seemed to happen either a) when i had snapchat open or b) recently received a snapchat notification. over the weekend i uninstalled it and so far...no battery issue. not sure if this is a temporary "fix", or if i should go to a genius bar anyway.

thanks for the suggestions. re: this battery issue, i noticed that it always seemed to happen either a) when i had snapchat open or b) recently received a snapchat notification. over the weekend i uninstalled it and so far...no battery issue. not sure if this is a temporary "fix", or if i should go to a genius bar anyway.

SnapChat has a "travel mode" in the settings that greatly reduces battery and data consumed. It says it only fixes data uses but if you ask me it does both

Asgaro

Fixed: it seems the iPhone was till processing the changes. Upon driving to the store, all of sudden around 2.4 GB became freed!

My sister has an 16GB iPhone 5s.
She has had disk space issues for a long time now.

I recommended her yesterday to move all her photos to Google Photos. Then she can remove all her locally stored photos while still having access to them through the Google Photos app. (Unlimited free storage on that service)

All seemed to work well (disk space was increasing after uploading to Google Photos and clearing 'Recently deleted items' folder in Apple Photos), but now, after a night of uploading all the remaining content, and clearing the 'Recently deleted items' folder, the iPhone shows 0 bytes free. (Restarting doesn't help)

I'm an Android user
(128GB microSD ayy)
with zero knowledge of Apple products, and since I have to study I can't look into it.

I read online though the recommended solution is to restore/factory reset the iPhone.

My question: will an Apple Store do this restore/factory reset for her when she visits it today with her iPhone and MacBook Air?

She will go traveling soon and the reason she needed new space was to take pics.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
My sister has an 16GB iPhone 5s.
She has had disk space issues for a long time now.

I recommended her yesterday to move all her photos to Google Photos. Then she can remove all her locally stored photos while still having access to them through the Google Photos app. (Unlimited free storage on that service)

All seemed to work well (disk space was increasing after uploading to Google Photos and clearing 'Recently deleted items' folder in Apple Photos), but now, after a night of uploading all the remaining content, and clearing the 'Recently deleted items' folder, the iPhone shows 0 bytes free. (Restarting doesn't help)

I'm an Android user
(128GB microSD ayy)
with zero knowledge of Apple products, and since I have to study I can't look into it.

I read online though the recommended solution is to restore/factory reset the iPhone.

My question: will an Apple Store do this restore/factory reset for her when she visits it today with her iPhone and MacBook Air?

She will go traveling soon and the reason she needed new space was to take pics.

Is the space taken up by the cache of the Google Photos app now by any chance? I haven't used their service in ages so I can't remember if the app caches the library locally.

Asgaro

Is the space taken up by the cache of the Google Photos app now by any chance? I haven't used their service in ages so I can't remember if the app caches the library locally.

It's fixed:: it seems the iPhone was till processing the changes. Upon driving to the store, all of sudden around 2.4 GB became freed!

Thanks for the help anyway!

Number45

Even if you're not bothered about the 7, the 6S will be cheaper then. Basically what I've told my Dad who's in the same boat right now.

This is just kind of a random post, but I was forced to get a new phone recently because of crazy circumstances. The good news was I was able to get a iPhone 6S Plus, and I fucking love this phone. I had a 5C before, and this is just so much more awesome. I love the screen size, and everything runs great ^_^

Just felt like sharing, because I am so happy. I know the 7 is probably gonna come out soon, but with all the talk of no headphone jack being on it, I'm glad to have this one for a few more years that has one.

Vyer

This is just kind of a random post, but I was forced to get a new phone recently because of crazy circumstances. The good news was I was able to get a iPhone 6S Plus, and I fucking love this phone. I had a 5C before, and this is just so much more awesome. I love the screen size, and everything runs great ^_^

Just felt like sharing, because I am so happy. I know the 7 is probably gonna come out soon, but with all the talk of no headphone jack being on it, I'm glad to have this one for a few more years that has one.

Congrats, it's a great phone.

The headphone jack thing doesn't bother me, but yeah you'll be able to get a lot of use out of it for a while if you aren't looking for the 7.

Typing on one now, it's phenomenal

ArcanineEX

So I'm probably buying one of these tonight. Any 6S plus impressions? I have big hands, but is this too big? Seems to rival the recent Note phones in dimensions whenever I see photos.

Vyer

So I'm probably buying one of these tonight. Any 6S plus impressions? I have big hands, but is this too big? Seems to rival the recent Note phones in dimensions whenever I see photos.

nobody can really say for sure until you are actually holding it and using it. it varies, but it seems most people feel like they get adjusted to it pretty quickly and would have a hard time going back.

there are definitely some where that's not the case (see the SE), but it's really going to be a YMMV type of thing

I'm definitely someone who thought that I would be returning it after a week due to the size and now it's perfect. Everything else is too small

ArcanineEX

Ordered a 64GB 6S+ from Ebay. Feeling a crater in my wallet though, since that's the most I've ever spent on a phone.

Now for the grueling wait...

Dat wait for the 7 tho.

I'm going to go try out a 6s+ and decide on the size. 6s felt perfect but who knows. I watch a lot of twitch.

Well actually the 4s size is perfect. Holding in one hand and your thumb reaches every part of the screen. Can't really do that on the 6s. So I might as well get a 7+. Maybe. How do guys carry it?

Dat wait for the 7 tho.

I'm going to go try out a 6s+ and decide on the size. 6s felt perfect but who knows. I watch a lot of twitch.

Well actually the 4s size is perfect. Holding in one hand and your thumb reaches every part of the screen. Can't really do that on the 6s. So I might as well get a 7+. Maybe. How do guys carry it?

The 6s Plus fits fine in my front jean pockets. As for holding it, put my pink under it like a stand just to the left of the lightning port, and use my ring, middle and pointer on the back to steady it. The phone itself is nestled in the crevice between my pointer and my palm, with the bottom right of the phone in my palm itself. Very sturdy, and let's me quickly move my thumb across the length of the screen. Top left is still a reach, but it's doable.

I love the Size and can't go back

The 6s Plus fits fine in my front jean pockets. As for holding it, put my pink under it like a stand just to the left of the lightning port, and use my ring, middle and pointer on the back to steady it. The phone itself is nestled in the crevice between my pointer and my palm, with the bottom right of the phone in my palm itself. Very sturdy, and let's me quickly move my thumb across the length of the screen. Top left is still a reach, but it's doable.

I love the Size and can't go back
I like the size and didn't see any problems, but it felt like everyone could see your business. 6s felt more private if that makes sense. I'm leaning toward 7.

ArcanineEX

Got my 6S+ a few days ago and I love it. Was worried about the size and it is on the big side, but I don't see myself going for the smaller models when the time to upgrade comes.

chunk3rvd

Finally got a new laptop for the first time in 18 months and I'd love to put some new music on my iPhone. Unfortunately, I tried to and got the stupid messages about how if I want to manage songs with this laptop, I'll need to erase my iPhone and start again. How is this still a thing in 2016?

Is there any technical way around this? A way I can pair my iPhone with the new laptop without losing anything? I only ever manage files manually anyway - I don't auto sync so this restriction seems daft.

If not, is there some convenient way I can back everything up off my current phone before wiping it, then restore all my data once it's paired with the new laptop?

Finally got a new laptop for the first time in 18 months and I'd love to put some new music on my iPhone. Unfortunately, I tried to and got the stupid messages about how if I want to manage songs with this laptop, I'll need to erase my iPhone and start again. How is this still a thing in 2016?

Is there any technical way around this? A way I can pair my iPhone with the new laptop without losing anything? I only ever manage files manually anyway - I don't auto sync so this restriction seems daft.

If not, is there some convenient way I can back everything up off my current phone before wiping it, then restore all my data once it's paired with the new laptop?

It's not saying it's going to erase your entire phone, it'll erase any media off of it that was synced from a different iTunes library, likely iTunes from your previous laptop. iDevices can only be synced from a single library at a time

Fjordson

That should just be iTunes stuff, like music and movies. Things like pictures or contacts won't go anywhere.

chunk3rvd

It's not saying it's going to erase your entire phone, it'll erase any media off of it that was synced from a different iTunes library, likely iTunes from your previous laptop. iDevices can only be synced from a single library at a time

That should just be iTunes stuff, like music and movies. Things like pictures or contacts won't go anywhere.

Yeah, the music already on my phone is stuff I'd like to keep. I don't still have the exact same library of music I had previously as it was all on my old laptop. If I sync with the new laptop, I'll lose most of my (non iTunes) music right?

Vyer

?

In 2016 we use cloud storage and/or streaming services. ;p

Cut that manual syncing cord years ago and I most definitely do not miss it.

But yeah, it will erase the phone when you sync with a new itunes

Yeah, the music already on my phone is stuff I'd like to keep. I don't still have the exact same library of music I had previously as it was all on my old laptop. If I sync with the new laptop, I'll lose most of my (non iTunes) music right?

Anything that is on there now will get replaced with what is in your new library. There's no way to recover the old library from your old laptop at all?

chunk3rvd

Anything that is on there now will get replaced with what is in your new library. There's no way to recover the old library from your old laptop at all?

Afraid not. The laptop hard drive was ruined and made a clicking noise whenever I switched it on. Threw it in a USB caddy but no luck. I've found this guide that involves using software called SharePod to rip my music from the phone to my new iTunes library. 4 years old but hoping the process still works! http://www.howtogeek.com/104298/sync-your-ios-device-with-a-new-computer-without-losing-data/

Eusis

Kind of a shame one recurring gag won't come back for the 7, but I guess that's what happens when you're slavishly against an old standard for being old.

lupinko

With the price drop thanks to the 7 and the lack of aux jack on it, I now want to jump on the 6S train.

Even with AppleCare+ at 128GB it's less than $900.

I'm kinda having second thoughts with the Plus because it's a $100 difference at $878 vs $778.

I just wanted to ask for people with experience of both phones if the additions on the Plus outweigh the price bump.

I solely want the Plus for the larger battery for example, but is the larger battery really that much longer?

I will retain my 64GB iPhone 5 as an iPod touch and/or spare phone. The new battery I bought basically makes it a new phone for me.

gimmmick

With the price drop thanks to the 7 and the lack of aux jack on it, I now want to jump on the 6S train.

Even with AppleCare+ at 128GB it's less than $900.

I'm kinda having second thoughts with the Plus because it's a $100 difference at $878 vs $778.

I just wanted to ask for people with experience of both phones if the additions on the Plus outweigh the price bump.

I solely want the Plus for the larger battery for example, but is the larger battery really that much longer?

I will retain my 64GB iPhone 5 as an iPod touch and/or spare phone. The new battery I bought basically makes it a new phone for me.

Unless you really need the battery life, OIS and bigger screen, I think the 4.7' is the way to go for the 6s. I don't ever regret getting the regular iphone back when the 6s launched and I use my phone one handed majority of the time. Both are great phone, but for the money, I think the better deal is the regular 6s.

The lightning port on my 6s Plus is starting to fail. I have to jiggle the cable around and make sure I don't move the cable for it to charge. I was curious if anyone knows how much Apple charges to replace it.

The lightning port on my 6s Plus is starting to fail. I have to jiggle the cable around and make sure I don't move the cable for it to charge. I was curious if anyone knows how much Apple charges to replace it.

You have lint in there. Clean it out with something non-metal

The port is fine

I have tried cleaning it out with a flosser. I got some dust out but it didn't help at all.

It's very rare that the port itself fails because there's kind of nothing to it. But if you're convinced that's it, officially speaking the lightning port is not a replaceable part on its own, so it would be a whole unit replacement at $299 for a 6S or $329 for a 6S Plus

But really you should get to an Apple Store if possible and see if they can't just try and clean it out one more time

My sisters 6s plus won't boot up past the Apple logo. What's the best way to fix it?

Plug into iTunes, hold down the power and home buttons until the connect to iTunes logo appears, select Update. An update will try and keep all the data on there but if that doesn't work you'll have to Restore, which erases everything. I hope she has a backup

My apologies for the bump.

Anyone have any recommendations when it comes to slim folio cases for the 6s (non Plus)? I just purchased a apple refurbished 6s and I'm on the hunt for a slim folio case. Just need to have my driver's license, one credit card, and the hold the phone.

Top Bottom